Options

Springsteen at Australia Concert: 'We Stand Before You Embarrassed Americans'

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Wow, I don't think Springsteen all sounds the same in any way, shape, or form. Which is why I love certain songs and albums, and totally hate others.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow, I don't think Springsteen all sounds the same in any way, shape, or form. Which is why I love certain songs and albums, and totally hate others.

These guys are nuts. He's awesome!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Whilst most of Bruce's "pop" releases have a similar sound ( Glory Days, Dancing in the Dark etc), I would argue that all his music is far ifrom similar.
    Nebraska is vastly different to Born in the USA and Ghost of Tom Joad is vastly different from The Rising. I suppose the theme through an album can be similar, but from album to album that can vary a great deak.

I have a younger mate (late 20's) who heard Adam Raised A Cain from the Darkness On the Edge of Town album in a TV show (might have been SOA) and loved it, so asked for me to give him some other Bruce stuff to listen too. He didn't like anything else, as nothing sounded like that song. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

These guys are nuts. He's awesome!
    I never intended to state that he was not awesome.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    1, 2, 3, 4!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Hey OP how do you feel about the president you’re so proud of now after he deciding to support the murderer prince ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited November 2018
    No Coder said:
    Whilst most of Bruce's "pop" releases have a similar sound ( Glory Days, Dancing in the Dark etc), I would argue that all his music is far ifrom similar.
    Nebraska is vastly different to Born in the USA and Ghost of Tom Joad is vastly different from The Rising. I suppose the theme through an album can be similar, but from album to album that can vary a great deak.

I have a younger mate (late 20's) who heard Adam Raised A Cain from the Darkness On the Edge of Town album in a TV show (might have been SOA) and loved it, so asked for me to give him some other Bruce stuff to listen too. He didn't like anything else, as nothing sounded like that song. 
    Some of his music is timeless, and some of it sounds super fucking dated. Some of it is rock, some more classic ballads, some quite country (my least fave by far - I hate those ones), some pop, some is practically blues. And his music has changed so much in style and tone over the decades. Springsteen's catalogue is incredibly diverse, I just can't believe people think all his stuff sounds the same. I'm thinking they must not know a lot of his catalogue to say that or something, I dunno. And I'm not saying this as a rabid fan at all. I'd say I'm more lukewarm on Springsteen. I really only tend to love his ballads.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    John Legend owns Dancin in the Dark

Magical
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    PJ_Soul said:
    No Coder said:

Some of his music is timeless, and some of it sounds super fucking dated. Some of it is rock, some more classic ballads, some quite country (my least fave by far - I hate those ones), some pop, some is practically blues. And his music has changed so much in style and tone over the decades. Springsteen's catalogue is incredibly diverse, I just can't believe people think all his stuff sounds the same. I'm thinking they must not know a lot of his catalogue to say that or something, I dunno. And I'm not saying this as a rabid fan at all. I'd say I'm more lukewarm on Springsteen. I really only tend to love his ballads.
    All I need to do is read the lyrics.  
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550

Bruce Springsteen calls Trump ‘deeply damaged at his core’

https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/bruce-springsteen-calls-trump-deeply-damaged-at-his-core/
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    The Boss LOL 
  • Options
    The Boss LOL 

What's LOL is the fact that you'd dump the Boss for what he has said and done... yet you'll ride with Donald Trump regardless of what he has said and done.
  • Options
    The Boss LOL 

What's LOL is the fact that you'd dump the Boss for what he has said and done... yet you'll ride with Donald Trump regardless of what he has said and done.
    Nicely stated. 
  • Options
    @buck502000

There comes a moment in the show, before he sings “The Ghost of Tom Joad,” which was inspired by John Ford’s film adaptation of John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath, when he gives a beautiful reflection on how sacred he feels democracy is. He speaks of how “these are times when we’ve also seen folks marching, and in the highest offices of our land, who want to speak to our darkest angels, who want to call up the ugliest and most divisive ghosts of America’s past. And they want to destroy the idea of an America for all. That’s their intention.”

So I ask him: Who are the “they”?

“Well,” he says, “I would be talking about our president. Probably number one. [He] has no interest in uniting the country, really, and actually has an interest in doing the opposite and dividing us, which he does on an almost daily basis. So that’s simply a crime against humanity, as far as I’m concerned. It’s an awful, awful message to send out into the world if you’re in that job and in that position. It’s just an ugly, awful message. You are intentionally trying to disenfranchise a large portion of Americans. I mean, you are simply . . . that’s unforgivable. And then there’s just the rise of—whether it’s the alt-right or the folks who were marching in Charlottesville with their tiki torches and all of that coming to the fore again, you know? Which our president was more than happy to play into and to play to. So these are folks who are invested in denying the idea of a united America and an America for all. It’s a critical moment. This has come so far to the surface, and it’s so toxic. And it appears to have a grip . . . and to be so powerful . . . in a lot of people’s lives at the moment. It’s a scary moment for any conscientious American, I think.”

And if you could, I say to him, make one request of citizens in this country right now, what would it be?

A long silence follows. Springsteen turns back to the mirror and, at the same time, draws both of his booted feet up to the edge of the couch. He resembles a man squatting beside a campfire, watching flames. “I think that a lot of what’s going on has been a large group of people frightened by the changing face of the nation. There seems to be an awful lot of fear. The founding fathers were pretty good at confronting their fears and the fears of the country. And it’s the old cliché where geniuses built the system so an idiot could run it. We are completely testing that theory at this very moment. I do believe we’ll survive Trump. But I don’t know if I see a unifying figure on the horizon. That worries me. Because the partisanship and the country being split down the middle is something that’s gravely dangerous. To go back to your question, what would my wish be? [Sighs] It’s corny stuff, but: Let people view themselves as Americans first, that the basic founding principles of the country could be adhered to, whether it’s equality or social justice. Let people give each other a chance.”

I tell him [Springsteen]: You’re making me see that “The Ties That Bind” is not a love story but about the DNA family ties you can’t escape.

“The bonds of your personal family,” he [Springsteen] says, “but also the ties you can’t break among your community and your fellow citizens. You can’t forsake those things. It’ll rot your core at the end of the day. If you want to see someone who’s—look at Trump. He has forsaken a lot of these things, and it’s affected him. He’s deeply damaged at his core.”

Because he forsook the ties, the bonds?

“Absolutely. That’s why he’s dangerous. Anyone in that position who doesn’t deeply feel those ties that bind is a dangerous man, and it’s very pitiful.”

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Doesn't matter if you like his music or not.  He's a great American. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    And a great person.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And a great person.
    What differs from "great American" and "great Person". 

Shouldn't "great person" cover all bases.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And a great person.

To be great,  you must be American.  Duh.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And a great person.

To be great,  you must be American.  Duh.
    LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I think I'm a good person.  But I know lots of people that don't think I'm a good American.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Pretty much everyone thinks I'm real awesome. But they never say, "Yah. That 30. What an awesome Canadian."

(with a sweeping 'dilly dilly' afterwards)
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    dilly dilly
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    dilly dilly
    Lol
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    I have to agree...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    The Baffoon has stood by murderers & dictators calling them good people strong leaders has totally disregarded our intelligence community, I’d say he’s a terrible American !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    The Baffoon has stood by murderers & dictators calling them good people strong leaders has totally disregarded our intelligence community, I’d say he’s a terrible American !
    Has he shown his birth certificate?? :pensive: