• vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    edited January 2017

wow, styling suit. much better than this outfit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bafvfd41dWc
    Post edited by Kat on
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited January 2017

benjs said:

Woa! Woa! Woa! Because that's what I do. I print my name, I sign my name. And then when, I sing the pledge of allegiance. Because going to a wedding and entering a country are the same. Are you usually this misinformed? Or just hateful? Be honest.

Halifax, I mean this honestly: treating people who feel differently than you this poorly is not productive to showing them why they shouldn't. This goes for the Trump debates, but also any other topic in life, and there are a few prerequisites which without them, you're going to have a hard time changing minds

1. Don't attack character. If someone calls me a Nazi sympathizer and I'm not, that person's credibility is lost in my eyes, because I feel they fallaciously make conclusions.
    2. Don't make a battle out of a debate. If both of your objectives are truth and not war, then exposed knowledge which adds to a pile of data on which to pass judgment can only be a positive. Don't let winning be the objective, it must be discovery of the truth.
    3. Recognize the bias you have inherited, and that there is no shame in needing to consciously strip your opinions of the biases within you in order to reassess the truth of your opinions. It is not an attack to be reminded of bias.
    4. Just be respectful. We're living things here.

I'm sorry if you find this preachy, but I've found these to be things absent by and large in this community. I've probably forgotten them from time to time too but am trying to be more cognizant of them.
    I agree. I think when trying to relate to people who figure Trump is awesome... try to connect on common ground and then slowly but surely try to have them see things differently.

Allow me to demonstrate.

Trump lovers... here is a song I think of when I think of you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WHMWZx7hvJk

"Trump lovers" and those that "figure trump is awesome", please raise your hand.
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited January 2017
    JC29856 said:

benjs said:

Woa! Woa! Woa! Because that's what I do. I print my name, I sign my name. And then when, I sing the pledge of allegiance. Because going to a wedding and entering a country are the same. Are you usually this misinformed? Or just hateful? Be honest.

Halifax, I mean this honestly: treating people who feel differently than you this poorly is not productive to showing them why they shouldn't. This goes for the Trump debates, but also any other topic in life, and there are a few prerequisites which without them, you're going to have a hard time changing minds

1. Don't attack character. If someone calls me a Nazi sympathizer and I'm not, that person's credibility is lost in my eyes, because I feel they fallaciously make conclusions.
    2. Don't make a battle out of a debate. If both of your objectives are truth and not war, then exposed knowledge which adds to a pile of data on which to pass judgment can only be a positive. Don't let winning be the objective, it must be discovery of the truth.
    3. Recognize the bias you have inherited, and that there is no shame in needing to consciously strip your opinions of the biases within you in order to reassess the truth of your opinions. It is not an attack to be reminded of bias.

I'm sorry if you find this preachy, but I've found these to be things absent by and large in this community. I've probably forgotten them from time to time too but am trying to be more cognizant of them.
    I agree. I think when trying to relate to people who figure Trump is awesome... try to connect on common ground and then slowly but surely try to have them see things differently.

Allow me to demonstrate.

"Trump lovers" and those that "figure trump is awesome", please raise your hand.
    As BS alluded to... the Trump lovers with remote levels of intelligence worship Trump secretly. Openly stating you really dig Trump is tantamount to coming out and saying something like, "Hitler wasn't all bad." It's just not going to go over very well at all socially.

There's only a few Trump supporters around here that have come out of the closet to cheer on their champion. That's why I posted that song for them- to brighten up their day and find some common ground with some music I think they'd like.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • ^^^
    #silent majorities matter

good catchy song though, thanks for that

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

Look how concerned the media is for this returning immigrant and his child. So very concerned, especially about the very young tired and weary child.

Sure. As you say Herr Goering.
    I thought you said uncle...
    Drinking on AMT can be fun, but also risky. Review posts Sunday morning.
    always. :) im often surprised by the fact im ok with what ive posted under the influence. in veritas vino ;):)

Squeeze 2 whole lemons into 16 ounces of water with 2 tablespoons of Manuka honey. Pop a few turmeric pills and a cinnamon pill every 4 hours.
    A quality whole vitamin always helps.
    my2hands said:

Where is the ban list for white men with mental health issues? Oklahoma City... Columbine... Aurora... Newtown... Charleston...

I guess we just keep the AR-15 express lane open for them...

Wake the fuck up America

Yes sir, home grown terrorism perpetrated by WMA.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    benjs said:

I realize you are trying to help, and that's good but I don't think you have been paying attention. You are missing more than half of the equation.

I personally appreciate Halifax for calling out the bullshit when he sees it. I have learned a lot.

JC29856 said:

benjs said:

Allow me to demonstrate.

As BS alluded to... the Trump lovers with remote levels of intelligence worship Trump secretly. Openly stating you really dig Trump is tantamount to coming out and saying something like, "Hitler wasn't all bad." It's just not going to go over very well at all socially.

There's only a few Trump supporters around here that have come out of the closet to cheer on their champion. That's why I posted that song for them- to brighten up their day and find some common ground with some music I think they'd like.
    I like where your head is at on this.
    my2hands said:

Where is the ban list for white men with mental health issues? Oklahoma City... Columbine... Aurora... Newtown... Charleston...

I guess we just keep the AR-15 express lane open for them...

Wake the fuck up America

been thinking the same thing. NRA is a terrorist organization. Domestic kind. but the same. they arm the irrational and crazy.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096
    dignin said:

benjs said:

I realize you are trying to help, and that's good but I don't think you have been paying attention. You are missing more than half of the equation.

I personally appreciate Halifax for calling out the bullshit when he sees it. I have learned a lot.
    I'm all for calling out bullshit, but first you have to qualify whether the person you're talking to has malicious intent and is trying to dispel bullshit, or whether they believe what they are saying. If they believe it, they are simply stating their case the way you or I do. If this is the case, equating them to people of questionable character or intellect is just not called for. If they don't believe it, why not just present the ill logic their statements are predicated upon?

In either case, as soon as emotions come into play, you've given a valid opportunity to the person you're debating with to just deflect by accurately pointing out that you are resorting to fallacious attacks. In no way, shape or form have I proposed not calling out bullshit. I've simply said that there's a right way and a wrong way to do so.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • happy trumpsters? i mean, all of this, all of it, is your fault.

we have a man who won votes from less than 30% of the population. he is defying the judicial branch. he has demoted the joint chiefs and military advisors and promoted bannon. he thinks he is king. none of this is good for our country.

this is YOUR FAULT.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

happy trumpsters? i mean, all of this, all of it, is your fault.

we have a man who won votes from less than 30% of the population. he is defying the judicial branch. he has demoted the joint chiefs and military advisors and promoted bannon. he thinks he is king. none of this is good for our country.

this is YOUR FAULT.

oh now you've done it. trumpsters still are wondering when p grabbing will be fully legalized by decree.
    edited January 2017
  • vaggar99 said:

happy trumpsters? i mean, all of this, all of it, is your fault.

this is YOUR FAULT.

oh now you've done it. trumpsters still are wondering when p grabbing will be fully legalized by decree.
    Interesting.

For the most part, I assumed many Trump voters were either moronic or lacking values. Yet here... you bring up another quality I had not previously considered: the horny variety.

If Clinton had been better looking, they likely would have voted for her and the US wouldn't have this mess on its hands right now.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    So here's where I assume many people are viewing the difference between what Obama proposed and what Trump signed the other day. I don't like that Obama even went as far as he did, but I honestly don't think people saw it going past a temporary situation. With Trump, who says it is temporary, the fear is that (shockingly) he's full of shit and that this EO will be extended time and time again and lead to the next logical progression- a Muslim registry in the US.

When you run a campaign playing on the public's fear, win that campaign and then start implementing your campaign promises- don't be surprised when people freak out and assume the worst in you.
    benjs said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

I'm all for calling out bullshit, but first you have to qualify whether the person you're talking to has malicious intent and is trying to dispel bullshit, or whether they believe what they are saying. If they believe it, they are simply stating their case the way you or I do. If this is the case, equating them to people of questionable character or intellect is just not called for. If they don't believe it, why not just present the ill logic their statements are predicated upon?

In either case, as soon as emotions come into play, you've given a valid opportunity to the person you're debating with to just deflect by accurately pointing out that you are resorting to fallacious attacks. In no way, shape or form have I proposed not calling out bullshit. I've simply said that there's a right way and a wrong way to do so.
    I put in bold this part of your response because it gets to the heart of the matter.

The poster who Halifax was responding to clearly is trying to spread misinformation and just plain bullshit. Many on this forum have pointed it out. When called out said poster moves on to more bullshit. Always a moving target and always trying to confuse and muddy the waters. A tactic learned, I can only assume, from Trump himself.

I agree it would be best if we could leave most emotion out of it for a more clear picture and better debate, but then this place would be boring if it was all gone. It's the passion I see here, and the new information I learn, that keeps me coming back. Emotion and passion can lead to an invigorating debate.
  • Anyone remember this tweet a few years back about Kate Middleton?
    Who wouldn't take Kate's picture and make lots of money if she does the nude sunbathing thing. Come on Kate!
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-worrying-tweet-donald-trump-wrote-about-kate-middleton-has-resurfaced/ar-AAmnmuu?li=AAggFp5&ocid=mailsignout
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
  • Iraq is implementing reciprocal measures in response to US Muslim ban.

The downward spiral is picking up speed. Hasn't it only been a couple of weeks?

Yikes. Even the most ardent Trump supporters' spider senses should be tingling a touch.

And yes, PJFan. We know. He's only one man.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096
    dignin said:

benjs said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

I put in bold this part of your response because it gets to the heart of the matter.

The poster who Halifax was responding to clearly is trying to spread misinformation and just plain bullshit. Many on this forum have pointed it out. When called out said poster moves on to more bullshit. Always a moving target and always trying to confuse and muddy the waters. A tactic learned, I can only assume, from Trump himself.

I agree it would be best if we could leave most emotion out of it for a more clear picture and better debate, but then this place would be boring if it was all gone. It's the passion I see here, and the new information I learn, that keeps me coming back. Emotion and passion can lead to an invigorating debate.
    I really don't agree. I'm confident that BS believes what he writes here, and I say that as someone who disagrees with much of what he posts.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Not even a couple of weeks. 9 days. 9 long, long days.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,538
    It seems we are aggrevating China as well. It's all preliminary right now, but give it another week before we are in a standoff over in the South China Sea. This would explain Trump's love affair with Russia and Putin. We'll need a border ally willing to be on board with our new world view.

#FuckTrump
    It's a hopeless situation...
    benjs said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

I really don't agree. I'm confident that BS believes what he writes here, and I say that as someone who disagrees with much of what he posts.
    Whoosh. Not talking about BS. Thought that was clear.
  • benjs said:

Thanks for the lecture but I'm not trying to "win" the debate nor earn style points. You communicate your beliefs your way and I'll communicate mine my way. Fair enough?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Nazi sympathizers
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    edited January 2017
    If you ignore the Trump and Obama bashing in the article, there are some facts to look at.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444370/donald-trump-refugee-executive-order-no-muslim-ban-separating-fact-hysteria
    Iraq, Iran, Sudan, and Syria were listed in a 2015 and 2016 law (The "Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015" and its 2016 update adding Libya, Somalia, and Yemen).
    Post edited by LongestRoad on
    my2hands said:

Nazi sympathizers

it's becoming more and more apparent that this is the case. it makes me sick to know that members of my own family are this fucked up.
This discussion has been closed.