Options

Blank Discussion Topic

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,739
    mace1229 said:

I asked for examples, care to give one?
    One that's worse than "if you don't vote for my guy (or gal) then your a racist, sexist, homophobe bigot."
    I have yet to see an example of the fear campaign that lead to so many voting for him.
    What you're describing is shame, not fear. (Could you also link to where that quote was used in the campaign?)They're totally different. Fear is what conservatives run on. trump continually would go on about how our country is in horrible shape, and that we used to be great, and if you vote for him it'll be great, and if you vote for Clinton, it'll be a disaster. This theme is repeated with nearly all republicans: Our country sucks, vote for me and I'll save it from destruction.

Fear of being shamed with such terrible labels. It's a fear tactic, come on.

I don't want to debate terms, but fear based tactics are outcome based, if you do this (or don't do this) bad things will happen. Shame is done saying an individual is a bad person for doing something, and in this case no one will have to know about it. A fear tactic with trump would be: 'if you vote for trump, racism and sexual assault will sweep through the country'. I don't remember Clinton saying that.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,061
    Let's work with your definition. So like if someone would say "if you vote for him nuclear war would happen" would be a good example of a fear tactic then right? I remember seeing lots of commercials with that message a couple months ago. Do this and something bad will happen.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Let's work with your definition. So like if someone would say "if you vote for him nuclear war would happen" would be a good example of a fear tactic then right? I remember seeing lots of commercials with that message a couple months ago. Do this and something bad will happen.

Did Clinton run that ad? I didn't see that one.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    You know what is weird/telling about the President? When SNL runs a skit on him he goes on Twitter rants within minutes. When a SNL writer makes a comment about his ten year old son, radio silence. (Except for a generalized press statement a couple of days later)
  • Options
    edited January 2017

mace1229 said:

She did, and it played lots. A couple varieties of it too. Some scared people taking about how if Trump wins his finger will be on the nuke button and with his temperament we'll almost for sure be in nuclear war-I'm Hilary Clinton and I approve this message.
    One of several reasons I don't get this fear card. Google it, I'm sure it's still out there. Claiming Trump ran on fear is just plain wrong compared to the fear the left was running on. Who can top fear of nuclear war?
    Not to mention she herself described scenes of the halocaust and said this is what it will be like if Trump wins. By any definition imaginable it's a fear tactic, and far worse than any on the right used in my view.
    Maybe the halocaust wasn't that bad to some people, but it's something I'd like to avoid in my lifetime.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    This is just in case you think the number of federal employees is unusually high for some reason. Maybe our current sex offender president might have said that. I'm not sure.

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I'll back you up that there were ads like you described. I remember one with a nuclear technician whose job was to send the bombs if he got ordered to.
    These ads are common every cycle. I'm sure we all know the Daisy ad from the 60's.
    I honestly feel that against any other Republican presidential candidate from 2016, an attack like that would be unjustified. Donald Trump gave every reason to release an ad like that by being unpredictable and erratic. If anyone deserves an ad like that, it's Trump. Sadly he keeps proving over and over that he is truly unpredictable, unprepared and erratic.
  • Options
    Sure he has bad temper many and throws tantrims like a 2-year-old, but it's a little far to claim one will lead to nuclear war.
    Trump said he wants to deport illegals (and have them re-enter legally). Clinton responded by saying if Trump wins then all illegals crowded in box trains as they are forced to leave. No one mentioned box trains but her, box trains would be a completely impractical way to massively deport people (which he wont by the way) so why would she do that? To associate Trump with Hitler and the Halocaust. That is some heavy BS and good use of fear tactics right there.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,495

You know what is weird/telling about the President? When SNL runs a skit on him he goes on Twitter rants within minutes. When a SNL writer makes a comment about his ten year old son, radio silence. (Except for a generalized press statement a couple of days later)

Funny, I haven't heard of Trump slamming last week's post-inauguration SNL (which was painful to watch for some of its nastiness, especially the Conway bit). Some of his behaviour since Friday makes me extremely curious about the letter that Obama left him. He actually seems to have toned things down a touch (now cue the disagreement about how outrageous he's still acting).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Sure he has bad temper many and throws tantrims like a 2-year-old, but it's a little far to claim one will lead to nuclear war.
    Trump said he wants to deport illegals (and have them re-enter legally). Clinton responded by saying if Trump wins then all illegals crowded in box trains as they are forced to leave. No one mentioned box trains but her, box trains would be a completely impractical way to massively deport people (which he wont by the way) so why would she do that? To associate Trump with Hitler and the Halocaust. That is some heavy BS and good use of fear tactics right there.

Trump said more than he wants to deport illegals. Obama's been deporting them more than any other president. Trump's plan is to respond with bigger government. On a side note, with all of the anti-illegal immigrant fervor, no one has ever quantified this illegal immigrant problem that I've seen. How much money do illegals cost vs. what they put into the system? How does illegal immigrant crime rate compare to legal citizen crime? If billions are going to be spent on a so called problem, I'd like to see the problem put into numbers.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,401

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:
    He will probably try to trade tax them into oblivion. Mexican officials say that they'll "mirror" the tax, but seriously, which side of the "wall" could play that game the longest? I'm not sure they would have a choice if it came to that...
    Dropping fbombs gets you nowhere. He must be angry and alluding to the fact that real negotiations are happening about Mexico paying.
    funny. Mexico is still part of TPP which is happening anyway and now will likely include China. Which was sort of the point to begin with, boxing China out in their own backyard.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426

it's because his sick fuck mind is somehow embarrassed by his son. fuck him.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

why do you call it the Halocaust? surely just a spelling error or is it an alternate spelling?
  • Options
    "Even if they build the wall, I will climb the wall. I bring a ladder the size of the wall, even from sticks or whatever, but I'll make it, and I'll jump over there"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,650
    vaggar99 said:

"Even if they build the wall, I will climb the wall. I bring a ladder the size of the wall, even from sticks or whatever, but I'll make it, and I'll jump over there"

So you are a proponent of no borders?

"Even if vaggar99 puts a locked door on his house I will bring a lock pick, made from shards of scrap metal or whatever, and steal his TV."

• Options
    edited January 2017
    vaggar99 said:

mace1229 said:

why do you call it the Halocaust? surely just a spelling error or is it an alternate spelling?
    So your best defense is to point out a spelling error? The ones who are still crying over an election 3 months later and blame Russia, racism, sexism and uss themselves far worse tactics than they accuse others of. You're only defense to that is pointing out a spelling error?
    Good one, you're right then.
    *edited to fix a typo
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,301
    JC29856 said:
    what is "attmiting"? this is our vice-president people.
  • Options

vaggar99 said:

So you are a proponent of no borders?

"Even if vaggar99 puts a locked door on his house I will bring a lock pick, made from shards of scrap metal or whatever, and steal his TV."

steal my tv. i don't care. you will never steal my soul
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2017

mace1229 said:

Trump said more than he wants to deport illegals. Obama's been deporting them more than any other president. Trump's plan is to respond with bigger government. On a side note, with all of the anti-illegal immigrant fervor, no one has ever quantified this illegal immigrant problem that I've seen. How much money do illegals cost vs. what they put into the system? How does illegal immigrant crime rate compare to legal citizen crime? If billions are going to be spent on a so called problem, I'd like to see the problem put into numbers.

I'm not sure about some of the comparisons that you are requesting, but here are some numbers from Texas alone. Reading every other day about finding people dumped in the deserts by traffickers. I was trained by a DEA agent several years ago and he described what kinds of tactics are being used to "mule" people across the border and how cartels kidnap children from the US to sacrifice to whatever entity they sacrifice to for "blessings" and "safety" while running drugs back and forth. There is definitely some sick shit going on at the border that needs to be dealt with more productively. Not sure a "wall" is an end all, but more definitely needs to be done to counter the border crime.
    https://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/crime_records/pages/txCriminalAlienStatistics.htm
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mace1229 said:

mace1229 said:

She did, and it played lots. A couple varieties of it too. Some scared people taking about how if Trump wins his finger will be on the nuke button and with his temperament we'll almost for sure be in nuclear war-I'm Hilary Clinton and I approve this message.
    One of several reasons I don't get this fear card. Google it, I'm sure it's still out there. Claiming Trump ran on fear is just plain wrong compared to the fear the left was running on. Who can top fear of nuclear war?
    Not to mention she herself described scenes of the halocaust and said this is what it will be like if Trump wins. By any definition imaginable it's a fear tactic, and far worse than any on the right used in my view.
    Maybe the halocaust wasn't that bad to some people, but it's something I'd like to avoid in my lifetime.
    Mental backflips.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    It would be funny if Dummy gets his voter fraud investigation and it backfires on him in key states.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

vaggar99 said:

mace1229 said:

So your best defense is to point out a spelling error? The ones who are still crying over an election 3 months later and blame Russia, racism, sexism and uss themselves far worse tactics than they accuse others of. You're only defense to that is pointing out a spelling error?
    Good one, you're right then.
    *edited to fix a typo
    Honestly wasn't mocking you. Thought maybe there was a reason you spelled it that way. Spelling error is ok. You are not the precedent.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,593
    edited January 2017
    Jason P said:

It would be funny if Dummy gets his voter fraud investigation and it backfires on him in key states.

His own lawyers said in December, when the Michigan recount camenup, that there was no evidence of voter fraud.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-attorneys-said-no-evidence-voter-fraud-2017-1
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options

Jason P said:

His own lawyers said in December, when the Michigan recount camenup, that there was no evidence of voter fraud.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-attorneys-said-no-evidence-voter-fraud-2017-1
    His lawyers only say what he tells them to say at the time. This means nothing
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Wasn't a massive component of Trump's campaign centred around Hillary and her carelessness with matters regarding national security?

That's fear mongering... is it not?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

mace1229 said:

Wasn't a massive component of Trump's campaign centred around Hillary and her carelessness with matters regarding national security?

This is fear mongering:

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited January 2017
    PJPOWER said:

mace1229 said:

This is fear mongering:

Tough to argue that lol.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

mace1229 said:

This is fear mongering:

Tough to argue that lol.
    Hahaha
  • Options
    his supporters will ignore it. its called the bubble. nothing penetrates the bubble.
This discussion has been closed.