1st Women's March January 21, 2017. 3rd Women's March January 19, 2019

Comments

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Free said:

Your daughters watch Fox News. That's enough info.

They don't watch Fox News. If you read my post you would see that I said I have MSNBC on most of the time and they probably don't even pay attention. They don't watch any cable news really...most 12 and 14 year olds don't.

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

BS44325 said:

https://youtu.be/XaadfwY5bw4

Game, set, and match.

Those kids would ask about the pink hats, and why you weren't marching.
    My daughters were laughing at the marchers and thought the speakers were insane.
    Of course they were. You have shaped their viewpoints as a parent. That's what happens. In some cases children can escape the dark cloud of narrow mindedness, but not always.
    Nope. Completely uncoached. I do not push my point of view on them at all.
    That is truly impossible. Not arguing for or against the discussion here, just calling out BS.
    Why? I don't speak to them the way I write in here. They get a lot more of a progressive spin at school and when we discuss things I don't shoot down anything. We talk about how things are looked at from different angles but I am very careful to not make my preference seem like the right one. In terms of media I mainly have MSNBC on in the house which they don't even pay attention too. My daughters laughing at the march happened completely on their own when we happened to drive past a woman carrying a sign in Toronto. I hadn't to that point discussed the march with them at all. They saw clips of rioters the day before on their own and saw clips of Madonna later in the day. They were not impressed and I had zero to do with it.
    Your daughters are laughing at marchers and Madonna and rioters? clearly they are not into empowering themselves as women, and making fun of other women, for taking a stand? You must be proud. That mocking and belief of others came from somewhere.
    Yes. It brought a tear to my eye. #prouddad
    Way to go lifting them up and empowering them. :weary:
    They have a mother who competes in crossfit competitions in her spare time. They get plenty of empowerment. Sorry that they find foul-mouthed aging rock stars desparate for relevancy to be lame.
    you said they were laughing at the marchers.
    Yes. It started when they saw some women carrying signs in Toronto. They said "why are they marching? They don't live in the states? Who cares?". To which I said "they are showing support for women in the states". To which they said "Trump won and he hasn't even done anything yet...they should give him a chance". I said "they are worried he will take away their right" and they thought that was just ridiculous. I gave them the view point of the marchers and they didn't buy it. Later they saw clips of madonna and ashley judd and they thought they were nuts.
    So you think that they're so much smarter than the marchers, in a different country, under a different rule... but they think the largest protest in US history should give him a chance, an admitted pussy grabber, and so much more. ( just look at what's happened since Friday). Clearly they don't understand. But go ahead, let them judge A huge diverse group of people and while you're at it, I'm sure your influence is there.
    Well I haven't said that they are smarter. I only have said that they have a different opinion. A free country allows for that. You claim to be all about hope and optimism and the need for a free media but when it comes to thought you are as facist as they come.
    I get your point BS, but you do influence them by how you do or don't answer and discuss topics. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that because we all do it, intentional or not. If you had been supportive of the march from your own perspective you would answer their questions differently and in more detail because you want them to fully understand it, but if you don't agree or aren't quite sure, your answer is more vague and less informative for them to comprehend the reasons.
    That's fair but for the record on this topic I gave them the marchers point of view...I play devils advocate with them all the time just to get them to think. Now certainly I didn't give them the marchers point of view with any level of intensity but I didn't show any disdain for the march either. This came from their own mouths and whether it was absorbed from me or their mother or someone at school is irrelevant...the march did not generate any real empathy in them and in some respects the clips they saw (summed up in the video I posted) pushed them away. The point being that while the march was very impressive in numbers it may not have achieve it's intended goal. It might in fact have done the opposite.
    I can't watch the video you posted while at work, but was it Madonna talking about blowing up the white house? did they see the FULL clip, where she says "yes, I have thought about it.....but I'm here to promote love...." and the actual message was that love trumps hate. I can see why everyone is jumping all over madonna for those comments, because all they saw was the first part about blowing up the WH.
    I don't think it was the whole clip just the choice words. I guess you can make an argument about context but I don't think Madonna covered herself in glory no matter which way you slice it.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    BS44325 said:

Free said:

Your daughters watch Fox News. That's enough info.

They don't watch Fox News. If you read my post you would see that I said I have MSNBC on most of the time and they probably don't even pay attention. They don't watch any cable news really...most 12 and 14 year olds don't.
    Everything you had to say about the march, or rather your daughters had to say, was negative. That says everything.
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

BS44325 said:

Game, set, and match.

My daughters were laughing at the marchers and thought the speakers were insane.
    Of course they were. You have shaped their viewpoints as a parent. That's what happens. In some cases children can escape the dark cloud of narrow mindedness, but not always.
    That is truly impossible. Not arguing for or against the discussion here, just calling out BS.
    Why? I don't speak to them the way I write in here. They get a lot more of a progressive spin at school and when we discuss things I don't shoot down anything. We talk about how things are looked at from different angles but I am very careful to not make my preference seem like the right one. In terms of media I mainly have MSNBC on in the house which they don't even pay attention too. My daughters laughing at the march happened completely on their own when we happened to drive past a woman carrying a sign in Toronto. I hadn't to that point discussed the march with them at all. They saw clips of rioters the day before on their own and saw clips of Madonna later in the day. They were not impressed and I had zero to do with it.
    Your daughters are laughing at marchers and Madonna and rioters? clearly they are not into empowering themselves as women, and making fun of other women, for taking a stand? You must be proud. That mocking and belief of others came from somewhere.
    They have a mother who competes in crossfit competitions in her spare time. They get plenty of empowerment. Sorry that they find foul-mouthed aging rock stars desparate for relevancy to be lame.
    Yes. It started when they saw some women carrying signs in Toronto. They said "why are they marching? They don't live in the states? Who cares?". To which I said "they are showing support for women in the states". To which they said "Trump won and he hasn't even done anything yet...they should give him a chance". I said "they are worried he will take away their right" and they thought that was just ridiculous. I gave them the view point of the marchers and they didn't buy it. Later they saw clips of madonna and ashley judd and they thought they were nuts.
    So you think that they're so much smarter than the marchers, in a different country, under a different rule... but they think the largest protest in US history should give him a chance, an admitted pussy grabber, and so much more. ( just look at what's happened since Friday). Clearly they don't understand. But go ahead, let them judge A huge diverse group of people and while you're at it, I'm sure your influence is there.
    Well I haven't said that they are smarter. I only have said that they have a different opinion. A free country allows for that. You claim to be all about hope and optimism and the need for a free media but when it comes to thought you are as facist as they come.
    I get your point BS, but you do influence them by how you do or don't answer and discuss topics. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that because we all do it, intentional or not. If you had been supportive of the march from your own perspective you would answer their questions differently and in more detail because you want them to fully understand it, but if you don't agree or aren't quite sure, your answer is more vague and less informative for them to comprehend the reasons.
    That's fair but for the record on this topic I gave them the marchers point of view...I play devils advocate with them all the time just to get them to think. Now certainly I didn't give them the marchers point of view with any level of intensity but I didn't show any disdain for the march either. This came from their own mouths and whether it was absorbed from me or their mother or someone at school is irrelevant...the march did not generate any real empathy in them and in some respects the clips they saw (summed up in the video I posted) pushed them away. The point being that while the march was very impressive in numbers it may not have achieve it's intended goal. It might in fact have done the opposite.
    I can't watch the video you posted while at work, but was it Madonna talking about blowing up the white house? did they see the FULL clip, where she says "yes, I have thought about it.....but I'm here to promote love...." and the actual message was that love trumps hate. I can see why everyone is jumping all over madonna for those comments, because all they saw was the first part about blowing up the WH.
    I don't think it was the whole clip just the choice words. I guess you can make an argument about context but I don't think Madonna covered herself in glory no matter which way you slice it.
    ... and what channel is this?
    Ms. Haiku said:

I worry more about US daughters not understanding the march versus daughters in other countries. 53% of white women voters voted for Trump, which is more worrisome than parents in other countries raising kids who may not vote in the US.

It was off-the-chart awesome that marchers in other countries supported the quest of millions of US women. I may wear a black armband on March 8 to support Irish Feminists who may strike and wear black armbands.

I see it as a humanity issue as well as a divisive one., not just in the US, but yes, the females here should be important. The entire March was about unity yet you have people on here talking about how bad it was, and that is from the comfort of their La-Z-Boy in America or abroad. Either we want to understand or we don't want to understand. It's a simple as that, some of us just don't have any empathy, or they just don't care.
    Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

BS44325 said:

Game, set, and match.

Not sure. MSNBC and CNN I believe showed it live but they didn't see it then. Her comments were pretty much covered everywhere and have been all over the internet. I am not sure what point you are trying to prove but I would hope that you would support a women's right to think for herself. It seems that this concept troubles you?
    edited January 2017
    BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

BS44325 said:

Game, set, and match.

Not sure. MSNBC and CNN I believe showed it live but they didn't see it then. Her comments were pretty much covered everywhere and have been all over the internet. I am not sure what point you are trying to prove but I would hope that you would support a women's right to think for herself. It seems that this concept troubles you?
    What's troubling is your lack of acknowledging your influence.

And if the media is highlighting the negative points for Madonna's speech? Rather than the entire speech which was about love? Hmmm
    Post edited by Free on
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2017
    Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

BS44325 said:

Game, set, and match.

And if the media is highlighting the negative points for Madonna's speech? Rather than the entire speech which was about love? Hmmm
    I didn't watch any of it live, but honestly if I had, I would have totally just gone out for a walk or something with my kiddo when the train wrecks started coming forth...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

Free said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

tbergs said:

BS44325 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

BS44325 said:

Game, set, and match.

I was angered by her speech at first, thinking it was counter-productive to the message. then I sought out the whole clip for myself, and found it, and it made a total difference. all the media I saw was only covering the one statement, and that's shameful.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

From the Porch.
    demetrios said:

https://pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-march-for-womens-rights

Last Saturday, Pearl Jam members and staff joined millions of Women's March demonstrators in DC and Seattle in a show of solidarity for the protection of women's rights. “So proud of our friends, family, and fans who participated in this March,” read the band’s official facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/PearlJam/

For more information on the Women’s March, check out: https://www.womensmarch.com/

For clear, concise summaries of important political news, votes, and bills … we’re trying this website and app out: https://www.countable.us/

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Free said:

From the Porch.

demetrios said:

https://pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam-march-for-womens-rights

Last Saturday, Pearl Jam members and staff joined millions of Women's March demonstrators in DC and Seattle in a show of solidarity for the protection of women's rights. “So proud of our friends, family, and fans who participated in this March,” read the band’s official facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/PearlJam/

For more information on the Women’s March, check out: https://www.womensmarch.com/

For clear, concise summaries of important political news, votes, and bills … we’re trying this website and app out: https://www.countable.us/

Good stuff.
  • MeanMr.MustardMeanMr.Mustard TBA Posts: 127
    so far from what I've seen on the news and social media, the women's march is confusing and pointless, some of them even march with costumes of vaginas ...what is that all about ?
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390

Women's rights are human rights.

It's not a difficult concept, and yet some people 'choose to struggle' with it regardless.
  • MeanMr.MustardMeanMr.Mustard TBA Posts: 127
    ahhh I see......
    edited January 2017
    Agree with abortion or not, this is a crazy story!
    http://julieroys.com/gianna-jessen/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

I'm sure any "tolerate" open minded person would understand why this particular person may be anti-abortion...or is she a deplorable?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:

http://julieroys.com/gianna-jessen/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

I'm sure any "tolerate" open minded person would understand why this particular person may be anti-abortion...or is she a deplorable?

I didn't know it was possible to survive an abortion. abortion at 7 1/2 months old? blinds and suffocates the baby inside the womb? that's fucking disgusting.

strangling a kid that survived abortion? I honestly find that hard to believe. selling body parts of dead children for profit? even harder. I think some unbiased verifiable facts are needed for this. that sounds like third world country bullshit.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I'm pro choice for sure, but there needs to be a matter of timeliness to an abortion procedure.

Scraping out some goo is a far cry from removing a nearly developed human being with a developed or semi developed nervous system.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390

I'm pro choice for sure, but there needs to be a matter of timeliness to an abortion procedure.

Scraping out some goo is a far cry from removing a nearly developed human being with a developed or semi developed nervous system.

I couldn't agree more.

I'm pro choice for sure, but there needs to be a matter of timeliness to an abortion procedure.

100%
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Agreed. But there are many that believe that a fetus is not alive until pulled out of a vagina...Science shows us that fetuses can feel pain, show emotion, etc...and as they say...you can't argue with science!
    PJPOWER said:

Agreed. But there are many that believe that a fetus is not alive until pulled out of a vagina...Science shows us that fetuses can feel pain, show emotion, etc...and as they say...you can't argue with science!
    anyone who believes it's not a human/alive until it breathes oxygen is woefully misinformed.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:

So you want to have laws that are already in place. Thanks. What was the point of you bringing this up?

PJPOWER said:

I didn't know it was possible to survive an abortion. abortion at 7 1/2 months old? blinds and suffocates the baby inside the womb? that's fucking disgusting.

strangling a kid that survived abortion? I honestly find that hard to believe. selling body parts of dead children for profit? even harder. I think some unbiased verifiable facts are needed for this. that sounds like third world country bullshit.
    Hard to believe until you start digging into the shit...and you are right, "third world country bullshit". Hell, I bet you'd have trouble finding examples of this disgusting shit in 3rd world countries!
  • PJPOWER said:

There's all sorts out there. Not all have it figured out very good.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    I'm glad people agree on timelines around abortions, because that aligns with the reality that there is timelines around abortions.

I'm glad people agree on timelines around abortions, because that aligns with the reality that there is timelines around abortions.

LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yeah, but there is much disagreement about the time in the timelines. My vote is heartbeat=life...the same as for any other human in the "outside world". Technically and scientifically, we are all just a bunch of jumbled together cells comprised mostly of empty space...right?
  • I'm glad people agree on timelines around abortions, because that aligns with the reality that there is timelines around abortions.

Well duh.

Canada funds abortions up to 23 weeks in some provinces and some clinics offer late term abortion services.

According to Statistics Canada, 491 babies were born alive between 2000 and 2009 following an abortion, only to die shortly after. This means, once fully separated from their mothers, they were either breathing or had a beating heart. Other “signs of life” include “pulsation of the umbilical cord or definite movement of voluntary muscles, whether or not the umbilical cord has been cut or the placenta is attached.”

This is too late in my opinion. Much too late. I'm all for women's rights, but be somewhat responsible: know ahead of time where you are at with regards to an accidental pregnancy and move forward with the procedure so an infant isn't gasping its dying breaths on a stainless steel table.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/abortion-in-canada-breaking-down-the-law-policies-and-practices

Well duh.

Canada funds abortions up to 23 weeks in some provinces and some clinics offer late term abortion services.

According to Statistics Canada, 491 babies were born alive between 2000 and 2009 following an abortion, only to die shortly after. This means, once fully separated from their mothers, they were either breathing or had a beating heart. Other “signs of life” include “pulsation of the umbilical cord or definite movement of voluntary muscles, whether or not the umbilical cord has been cut or the placenta is attached.”

This is too late in my opinion. Much too late. I'm all for women's rights, but be somewhat responsible: know ahead of time where you are at with regards to an accidental pregnancy and move forward with the procedure so an infant isn't gasping its dying breaths on a stainless steel table.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/abortion-in-canada-breaking-down-the-law-policies-and-practices
    I predict future generations looking back and considering these types of things some of the most barbaric human crimes of our time...Similar to some countries that would "cull" babies that they considered genetic inferior.