President Elect Trump

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,958

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

in all seriousness, i am somewhat disturbed at the misspelling of 'unprecedented'. i'm pretty sure that would have been a word that would have come up in a grade school spelling test or some required reading material. the word 'unpresidented' has never been published. How do you come up with that spelling? Only one way i can think of...you never read the word or read it so few times to not notice the 'ce' in the middle makes it unique enough to where 'precedent' and 'president' are not really close to the same words in appearance. just an observation. there are other tweets

I think it's a hilarious tweet mistake coming from the PE, but people are making wayyyyy too much about it. it's a simple spelling mistake. I highly doubt he actually thought the word was "unpresidented". who knows, maybe he did it on purpose to troll everyone who follows him.
    i'd agree except for it comes from someone who thinks/says he's smart. i'm not saying that knowing how to spell well is a differentiating factor, but it does to me say that a person is not well read. i find that to be not only disturbing but dangerous.

i suppose i can just buy into the illusion that T. is smart and every dumb thing he says/does is just another joke on those who hate him. I guess that's what I had to do to get used to GWB. I guess that turned out ok.
    it doesn't mean he's not well read. all it means is he doesn't give a shit about spelling mistakes on social media. at this level, he should, but he doesn't give a shit about much, so why would spelling be at the top of the list, or on the list at all?
    Marie Brenner's 1990 profile of Donald Trump for Vanity Fair captured the real estate mogul in turmoil, as he struggled to hold onto his empire amid a nasty divorce fight. It's a juicy piece, but one anecdote in particular stands out: that Trump owned a copy of Adolf Hitler's speeches and allegedly read them for inspiration:
    "Ivana Trump told her lawyer Michael Kennedy that from time to time her husband reads a book of Hitler's collected speeches, My New Order, which he keeps in a cabinet by his bed. Kennedy now guards a copy of My New Order in a closet at his office, as if it were a grenade. Hitler's speeches, from his earliest days up through the Phony War of 1939, reveal his extraordinary ability as a master propagandist."
    Yeah, cause Ivana and her lawyer had zero to gain from that claim.
    “Did your cousin John give you the Hitler speeches?” I asked Trump.
    Trump hesitated. “Who told you that?”
    “I don’t remember,” I said.
    “Actually, it was my friend Marty Davis from Paramount who gave me a copy of Mein Kampf, and he’s a Jew.” (“I did give him a book about Hitler,” Marty Davis said. “But it was My New Order, Hitler’s speeches, not Mein Kampf. I thought he would find it interesting. I am his friend, but I’m not Jewish.”)
    Later, Trump returned to this subject. “If I had these speeches, and I am not saying that I do, I would never read them.”
    tell me why you think this matters.
    Because he mistakenly thought his 'friend' was Jewish? Because his friend thought trump would find speeches by a fascist interesting?
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

in all seriousness, i am somewhat disturbed at the misspelling of 'unprecedented'. i'm pretty sure that would have been a word that would have come up in a grade school spelling test or some required reading material. the word 'unpresidented' has never been published. How do you come up with that spelling? Only one way i can think of...you never read the word or read it so few times to not notice the 'ce' in the middle makes it unique enough to where 'precedent' and 'president' are not really close to the same words in appearance. just an observation. there are other tweets

I think it's a hilarious tweet mistake coming from the PE, but people are making wayyyyy too much about it. it's a simple spelling mistake. I highly doubt he actually thought the word was "unpresidented". who knows, maybe he did it on purpose to troll everyone who follows him.
    i'd agree except for it comes from someone who thinks/says he's smart. i'm not saying that knowing how to spell well is a differentiating factor, but it does to me say that a person is not well read. i find that to be not only disturbing but dangerous.

i suppose i can just buy into the illusion that T. is smart and every dumb thing he says/does is just another joke on those who hate him. I guess that's what I had to do to get used to GWB. I guess that turned out ok.
    it doesn't mean he's not well read. all it means is he doesn't give a shit about spelling mistakes on social media. at this level, he should, but he doesn't give a shit about much, so why would spelling be at the top of the list, or on the list at all?
    Marie Brenner's 1990 profile of Donald Trump for Vanity Fair captured the real estate mogul in turmoil, as he struggled to hold onto his empire amid a nasty divorce fight. It's a juicy piece, but one anecdote in particular stands out: that Trump owned a copy of Adolf Hitler's speeches and allegedly read them for inspiration:
    "Ivana Trump told her lawyer Michael Kennedy that from time to time her husband reads a book of Hitler's collected speeches, My New Order, which he keeps in a cabinet by his bed. Kennedy now guards a copy of My New Order in a closet at his office, as if it were a grenade. Hitler's speeches, from his earliest days up through the Phony War of 1939, reveal his extraordinary ability as a master propagandist."
    “Actually, it was my friend Marty Davis from Paramount who gave me a copy of Mein Kampf, and he’s a Jew.” (“I did give him a book about Hitler,” Marty Davis said. “But it was My New Order, Hitler’s speeches, not Mein Kampf. I thought he would find it interesting. I am his friend, but I’m not Jewish.”)
    Later, Trump returned to this subject. “If I had these speeches, and I am not saying that I do, I would never read them.”
    You mentioned Trump probably isn't well read. This was the only article I could find that he may or may not have actually read a book.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

Because he mistakenly thought his 'friend' was Jewish? Because his friend thought trump would find speeches by a fascist interesting?
    much ado about nothing. I have very well-read, intelligent, liberal friends who have all read Mein Kampf, for historical interest and nothing more. I see no difference between that and a book about his speeches. his (at the time) soon-to-be ex wife claiming he read them for inspiration means zero and is unsubstantiated.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    If we learned Trump had replaced the Hitler book with a collection of cartoons featuring Pepe The Frog, would that be better or worse?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

much ado about nothing. I have very well-read, intelligent, liberal friends who have all read Mein Kampf, for historical interest and nothing more. I see no difference between that and a book about his speeches. his (at the time) soon-to-be ex wife claiming he read them for inspiration means zero and is unsubstantiated.
    It's something because trump isn't well read or intelligent. He doesn't have a natural curiosity about history or human dynamics. He's an authoritarian demagogue. That's why I see his interest in Hitler differently.

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

It's something because trump isn't well read or intelligent. He doesn't have a natural curiosity about history or human dynamics. He's an authoritarian demagogue. That's why I see his interest in Hitler differently.
    not sure you can claim to know he doesn't have a "natural curiosity about history or human dynamics"?

as much as we have all joked about him being an idiot, I don't think you get to his level of wealth and success without being intelligent. it's just not possible. at the very least, he knew exactly who to surround himself with, which is one of the most important things you can do in business. I don't care how many failures he's had. all millionaires/billionaires have. his are just more public because he chose to write a book about his successes, which inevitibly will cause people to shine a light on your failures. I don't care about his loan from his dad. he turned 1 million into hundreds of millions. you don't do that by luck.

look, I'm not defending him. I just think that all of these red herrings that people are throwing out against him are hurting their cause of what the real issues are/might be. it's no different than all the hillary clinton email bullshit.

www.headstonesband.com

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

not sure you can claim to know he doesn't have a "natural curiosity about history or human dynamics"?

as much as we have all joked about him being an idiot, I don't think you get to his level of wealth and success without being intelligent. it's just not possible. at the very least, he knew exactly who to surround himself with, which is one of the most important things you can do in business. I don't care how many failures he's had. all millionaires/billionaires have. his are just more public because he chose to write a book about his successes, which inevitibly will cause people to shine a light on your failures. I don't care about his loan from his dad. he turned 1 million into hundreds of millions. you don't do that by luck.

look, I'm not defending him. I just think that all of these red herrings that people are throwing out against him are hurting their cause of what the real issues are/might be. it's no different than all the hillary clinton email bullshit.
    This isn't anything at all like Clinton's emails. I'm talking about trump's personality based on what he says and his actions as well as policy. He may be knowledgable about his area of business, that's fine. I recommend people look at the scope of what he's put out there, and not try to dilute it, normalize it, or minimize it. These are the real issues.

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

This isn't anything at all like Clinton's emails. I'm talking about trump's personality based on what he says and his actions as well as policy. He may be knowledgable about his area of business, that's fine. I recommend people look at the scope of what he's put out there, and not try to dilute it, normalize it, or minimize it. These are the real issues.
    I don't find a book he was given by a friend whose religion he mistook and may or may not have read two decades ago a "real issue".

www.headstonesband.com

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Trumps daughter and son in law are Jewish ... is everyone aware of this?

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

I don't find a book he was given by a friend whose religion he mistook and may or may not have read two decades ago a "real issue".
    I find it interesting that someone who uses techniques to manipulate masses of people in the same manner that dictators have in the past an issue.
    Jason P said:

Yeah. What do you make of that?
    Jason P said:

yep.

www.headstonesband.com

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

I find it interesting that someone who uses techniques to manipulate masses of people in the same manner that dictators have in the past an issue.
    This is why I don't get bogged down in questioning his intelligence. If he can read these speeches, absorb them, pick out the techniques and employ them himself then he is not unintelligent. Terrifying and dangerous, but not unintelligent.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

Jason P said:

I would presume from that information that his favorite breakfast cereal is Cookie Crisp. That's the only conclusion.
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

I would presume from that information that his favorite breakfast cereal is Cookie Crisp. That's the only conclusion.
    Okay. I just figured there was something behind asking. Figures he likes Cookie Crisp. That stuff's garbage.

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Okay. I just figured there was something behind asking. Figures he likes Cookie Crisp. That stuff's garbage.
    How dare you!
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

How dare you!
    Lucky Charms wins for the junk cereal.
  • Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

How dare you!
    Why? Because they're magically delicious? Or because they've exploited the Irish leprechaun to promote their product and in doing so... have mocked Irish culture?

They should change their name to 'Fortunate Tokens' to cease their insensitivity.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586
    JimmyV said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

This is why I don't get bogged down in questioning his intelligence. If he can read these speeches, absorb them, pick out the techniques and employ them himself then he is not unintelligent. Terrifying and dangerous, but not unintelligent.
    Good point. He's creating plausible deniability for any unfavorable actions or outcomes of his administration.
    It's a hopeless situation...

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

How dare you!
    Why? Because they're magically delicious? Or because they've exploited the Irish leprechaun to promote their product and in doing so... have mocked Irish culture?

They should change their name to 'Fortunate Tokens' to cease their insensitivity.
    Just keep your hands off my Frosted Menorah Mix.
    I only eat Cookie Crisp once every year and each time it's a delight. Muddy cookie milk. Mmmmmmm
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about this. Hitler was a despicable human, but owning his book doesn't mean someone is refuting that statement. Hitler was masterful and persuasive as a speaker and as a writer, and there's no reason to avoid studying his writings because of the nature of the words within.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about this. Hitler was a despicable human, but owning his book doesn't mean someone is refuting that statement. Hitler was masterful and persuasive as a speaker and as a writer, and there's no reason to avoid studying his writings because of the nature of the words within.
    I don't think the issue is to avoid or not, the issue is when you see a leader use the same methods fascists use.
  • Trump is definitely of the charismatic variety and hence, the Hitler references; however, I feel that's about the extent of the legitimate comparisons.

With that said, history has shown that charismatic leaders at various levels have managed to get people to do horrible things.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    benjs said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

I agree, not a big deal if it's a part of a healthy diet.
    CM189191 said:

benjs said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

I agree, not a big deal if it's a part of a healthy diet.
    That's why it's important to note with trump, because he's not so big on intellectual health.

benjs said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

I don't think the issue is to avoid or not, the issue is when you see a leader use the same methods fascists use.
    I'm sorry, but that's a hell of a stretch. If I wanted to learn woodworking, I would seek an opportunity to learn from an expert. Fascist leaders and non-fascist leaders alike are welcome to study great historical speeches and essays to better their own skills of persuasion, and there's no shame in learning from an expert in persuasion and/or using those skills.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

benjs said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

I'm sorry, but that's a hell of a stretch. If I wanted to learn woodworking, I would seek an opportunity to learn from an expert. Fascist leaders and non-fascist leaders alike are welcome to study great historical speeches and essays to better their own skills of persuasion, and there's no shame in learning from an expert in persuasion and/or using those skills.
    Did I just read that there's no shame in using the same persuasion methods that fascists use?
    benjs said:

benjs said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

Manipulating the media, victory rallies and private security forces are just good ideas borrowed from Hitler and Mussolini. Trump is just simply using the best ideas from the best minds in history.

benjs said:

benjs said:

CM189191 said:

vaggar99 said:

vaggar99 said:

Did I just read that there's no shame in using the same persuasion methods that fascists use?
    Yes. Fascist dictators must persuade if they wish to have people contribute optimally to a cause, so must I when I want to get the most out of our employees and get us acting as a team. Hitler's content should absolutely be condemned, but his methodologies of persuasion weren't inherently nefarious.

EV
This discussion has been closed.