Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    NewJPage said:

vaggar99 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Insert any drummer from 91-94 and the result is the same. People were hooked into ed ved, plain and simple.

it took 5 people to play those songs.
    yep. and Porch is not this good anymore
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPGiwRfGGkU
    I think Porch is actually one of the only songs that's slowed down since they first started playing it live. I mostly miss Ed's vocal strength and stamina on this song. I think musically it's still damn good live.

Anyway, I really don't see a reason all of their drummers shouldn't be recognized. I'd have no problem with that scenario. It's been said before, but this issue only exists because the hall and their rules. I feel Pearl Jam is one those bands where you could argue for inclusion of all past members because there was significance in all of their contributions.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208

stratmad said:

Definitely not an exact science at the Hall: look at the Eagles. If I am not mistaken, all of the current and past members were inducted at the time.

If for whatever reasons it's just not possible to include both Dave A. and Jack, perhaps the most dignified way would be if the band did a Dylan with the Nobel Prize and just said a quick thank you in the press including thanking / acknowledging Dave A. and Jack and just don't bother showing up at the ceremony, This would be more consistent with their art shouldn't be categorised and put into a competition, which it somehow is with the RnRHOF (who's in, who's nominated many times and aren't in, who's not nominated, is hip hop RnR, etc.) and I think gives a nice closure to the issue of who gets in and who doesn't.

If they decide to collect their honours in April (they can do whatever they want), then I wait in hope that the guys find it in their good conscience to do something to make it happen so that both Dave A. and Jack are invited and honoured as equals with the rest of the guys... just like the Eagles.

I think you have the wrong perception of the band.

Eddie Vedder has inducted a couple of bands and doesn't seem to have anything against the Hall of fame.

Not a chance they won't be there.
    I certainly wouldn't presume to know nor would I speculate what the band makes of the induction. I agree EV has inducted a number of people over the years. Perhaps he did it as he was invited by the inductees or the Hall and he took it purely as a chance to honor his friends and heroes. Perhaps he truly values what such an induction means, as opposed to just getting an award at whatever award show. No one except they would know.

I too believe they will turn up, which is my point. It would be wonderful if they did something between now and then to make sure Dave and Jack are both inducted. I also agree that, deserving as Dave is to be inducted, the amount of noise from his camp is somewhat souring the sense that they will feel comfortable mentioning him on the night as now they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

That's why I still say, as an alternative however unlikely it is to happen, pull a Dylan with the Nobel Prize and just don't play into the whole drama. It doesn't mean you are NOT inducted if you don't go, but it diffuses the situation.
  • Options
    JK109224JK109224 Posts: 564
    edited December 2016
    I haven't posted on this forum for ages. Was once an avid forumer.

Made the effort to log in, to say it is a joke that Dave A is not being acknowledged, and if the band isn't doing anything about this then it's a poor reflection on them.

This band/organisation is not what they once were.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Options
    To all of you:
    I saw that my friend, Joe Gastwirt posted the following;
    "Leaving Dave Abbruzzese out of this award, discredits every member of Pearl Jam that receives it, as well as every other artist that has received an award from the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame."
    This tops the heap of countless heartfelt reminders of moments, well wishes, and folks showing me some serious love and consideration.
    The outpouring of support and the show of appreciation that has been given to me from friends, fans and my peers has been just tremendous. ...overwhelming even.
    I do agree with Joe's post.
    Pearl Jam has always seemingly had a perceived level of integrity and has been known to stand their ground & fight the good fight, but it seems the allure of being given this trophy is just to important for them to take a stand.
    I want to let you all know that ultimately, it's gonna be okay.
    . We still have the music and no amount of corporate conglomerate or ticky-tack bullshit can keep us from enjoying the power of the music we love. The fact that we find ourselves fighting for the integrity of the validity of a segment of Pearl Jam history to be acknowledged is straight up beautiful. The reason we have to is what the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is supposed to have been built to celebrate; The love of the music.
    I have always thought that every award given to a band that celebrates the bands lifetime achievements should be awarded to every person that was ever a debt incurring, life sacrificing, blood spilling, member of that band. Maybe the Hall should reevaluate the need to put all the monkeys in the same cage in order to boost revenue, and instead let the history of the band be fully and completely represented as they were and as they are. ...leave it up to the group to show their true colors as they celebrate their own history in a manner of their choosing.
    I don't know. But whoever is ultimately responsible for the decision that deemed my work with Pearl Jam as an effort that was not important enough to grant me induction knows nothing of what we accomplished, and I am personally at a loss for words for how Stone, Mike, Jeff, Matt, Edward and Kelly Curtis are accepting of such an injustice.
    I will admit to wanting to look out over my drum kit at the faces of Jeff, Stone, Mike and Eddie. Looking to my left at my drum tech, the mainest of mellow, Mr. Jimmy Shoaf and seeing him give me that look that dares me to destroy my cymbals and kick the songs ass, the bands ass and the crowds ass... The idea of counting it off and giving the band, the music & the people all that I have to give, as I always have without compromise or hesitation... The sound of the people singing along... Making eye contact with the person air drumming their ass off right before the big drum fill, so we can do it together...
    I loved it.
    I loved it every single time.
    If you were there, then you know what this band Pearl Jam was like when it had something to prove. Well, we proved it every single time.
    Show after show.
    I was there and I am still proud to be a part of what Pearl Jam was. My point in all of this is to share the fact that what Pearl Jam once was, is what is still, and will always be Pearl Jam.
    I know things are tough. We need music, each other and the spirit of Rock & Roll now, more than ever before.
    Thanks for everything, everyone. I for one have not and will not ever forget the incredible power of the times we shared together.
    Be all.
    David Abbruzzese
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    the fanbois and the "yes men" fans won't like it, but he's right.

part of me thinks there might be a couple of legalities involved in this saga with dave's history. we'll see.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    edited December 2016
    I guess the media is no longer creating a negative story about this by taking his comments out of context.

It was only a matter of time before he set the house on fire.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,469

To all of you:
    "Leaving Dave Abbruzzese out of this award, discredits every member of Pearl Jam that receives it, as well as every other artist that has received an award from the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame."
    This tops the heap of countless heartfelt reminders of moments, well wishes, and folks showing me some serious love and consideration.
    The outpouring of support and the show of appreciation that has been given to me from friends, fans and my peers has been just tremendous. ...overwhelming even.
    Pearl Jam has always seemingly had a perceived level of integrity and has been known to stand their ground & fight the good fight, but it seems the allure of being given this trophy is just to important for them to take a stand.
    . We still have the music and no amount of corporate conglomerate or ticky-tack bullshit can keep us from enjoying the power of the music we love. The fact that we find ourselves fighting for the integrity of the validity of a segment of Pearl Jam history to be acknowledged is straight up beautiful. The reason we have to is what the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is supposed to have been built to celebrate; The love of the music.
    I have always thought that every award given to a band that celebrates the bands lifetime achievements should be awarded to every person that was ever a debt incurring, life sacrificing, blood spilling, member of that band. Maybe the Hall should reevaluate the need to put all the monkeys in the same cage in order to boost revenue, and instead let the history of the band be fully and completely represented as they were and as they are. ...leave it up to the group to show their true colors as they celebrate their own history in a manner of their choosing.
    I don't know. But whoever is ultimately responsible for the decision that deemed my work with Pearl Jam as an effort that was not important enough to grant me induction knows nothing of what we accomplished, and I am personally at a loss for words for how Stone, Mike, Jeff, Matt, Edward and Kelly Curtis are accepting of such an injustice.
    I will admit to wanting to look out over my drum kit at the faces of Jeff, Stone, Mike and Eddie. Looking to my left at my drum tech, the mainest of mellow, Mr. Jimmy Shoaf and seeing him give me that look that dares me to destroy my cymbals and kick the songs ass, the bands ass and the crowds ass... The idea of counting it off and giving the band, the music & the people all that I have to give, as I always have without compromise or hesitation... The sound of the people singing along... Making eye contact with the person air drumming their ass off right before the big drum fill, so we can do it together...
    I loved it.
    If you were there, then you know what this band Pearl Jam was like when it had something to prove. Well, we proved it every single time.
    Show after show.
    I was there and I am still proud to be a part of what Pearl Jam was. My point in all of this is to share the fact that what Pearl Jam once was, is what is still, and will always be Pearl Jam.
    I know things are tough. We need music, each other and the spirit of Rock & Roll now, more than ever before.
    Thanks for everything, everyone. I for one have not and will not ever forget the incredible power of the times we shared together.
    Be all.
    David Abbruzzese
    Good grief.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    edited December 2016

To all of you:
    I loved it.
    Show after show.
    Be all.
    David Abbruzzese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMC0ix8IW54
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    I just hope this ends well. There is precedent for the Hall bowing to the demands of an artist's wishes, which is how everyone who ever was in the Grateful Dead got inducted (Jerry demanded it). Pearl Jam could conceivably do something similar

I think Dave is right, but I'm not sure his methods are helping his case. I'd suggest chilling for a bit. Reach out on a personal level to band or management
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    NewJPage said:

I just hope this ends well. There is precedent for the Hall bowing to the demands of an artist's wishes, which is how everyone who ever was in the Grateful Dead got inducted (Jerry demanded it). Pearl Jam could conceivably do something similar

I think Dave is right, but I'm not sure his methods are helping his case. I'd suggest chilling for a bit. Reach out on a personal level to band or management

I'm not sure what he's even looking for after that post. To be invited to the ceremony? Inducted into the hall? Actually play a song with the band?

I doubt after that rant any of that will ever happen.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    NewJPage said:

I think he should be inducted. but he's acting like a petulant child.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    How can this end well? It seems to me that Pearl Jam is a band that manages their business privately and these public shots from Dave A. are in direct contrast to that approach.
  • Options
    ShanKathy said:

How can this end well? It seems to me that Pearl Jam is a band that manages their business privately and these public shots from Dave A. are in direct contrast to that approach.

bingo.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,586
    the drama over this is just laughable.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

always has been. should be called the rock n roll hall of drama.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    ShanKathy said:

well said. and for the one millionth time in this thread, IT'S NOT UP TO THE BAND.

I wish they'd all be inducted, but I seriously doubt that will happen. I will say this, if Dave gets in...Jack should be inducted as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

ShanKathy said:

well said. and for the one millionth time in this thread, IT'S NOT UP TO THE BAND.

I wish they'd all be inducted, but I seriously doubt that will happen. I will say this, if Dave gets in...Jack should be inducted as well.
    Dave A didn't even know this until well after his first tantrum.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    edited December 2016
    ComeToTX said:

yeah, this is all pretty funny. my two cents:

there is a reason why dave never landed a big gig with another band after pearl jam. he was tossed for a reason and was most likely an unbearable person (have to call out ed here too -- i imagine he was a very difficult person to work with during this era as well). he obviously fucked something good up and fast forward to 2016, the band doesn't owe him shit, especially after all the shit talking he has displayed.

jack irons should be there. he is the reason why the band came together in the first place and also saved the band from breaking up after the dave a firing. man is responsible for pearl jam x2.
    Post edited by rival. on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    :smiley:
    Post edited by on2legs on

• Options
    saying dave A is an unbearable person is based on absolutely zero knowledge, and basically akin to teenage gossip. Stone and Mike both liked him. he has collaborated with a number of people over the years, including Shawn Smith (Brad, Satchel).

"unbearable people" don't get to be in a band and tour the world for 3 full years and contribute to two albums.

maybe he wasn't interested in another big gig?
    rival. said:

ComeToTX said:

yeah, this is all pretty funny. my two cents:

there is a reason why dave never landed a big gig with another band after pearl jam. he was tossed for a reason and was most likely an unbearable person (have to call out ed here too -- i imagine he was a very difficult person to work with during this era as well). he obviously fucked something good up and fast forward to 2016, the band doesn't owe him shit, especially after all the shit talking he has displayed.

jack irons should be there. he is the reason why the band came together in the first place and also saved the band from breaking up after the dave a firing. man is responsible for pearl jam x2.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i get it. but the man wasn't fired for his drumming, right? it's one of those lost pieces of pearl jam history that no one will really ever know about.

if all the stories about dave really being into the fame and the "rock star" status were true, he most certainty would be someone looking for the very next opportunity outside of pearl jam. the motivation to get right back into the spotlight should have been there for him. just like there should have been a plethora of bands lined up waiting to sign the man that just left playing two albums and world tours for the biggest band in the world.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    and i'm not sure what the whole time frame was around matt leaving and dave coming, but i am sure the band felt immense pressure to hire someone and hire someone fast upon ten's release. the conversation very well could have been a thirty second conversation that went like this: "his drumming is amazing, but his attitude is shit." "who gives a fuck, we need to pack the van up immediately and tour off our debut album that is going to sell millions of copies."
    Post edited by rival. on
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    Dave A. auditioned for Guns N' Roses after he left PJ, so he obviously wanted to get into another big band. No question the guy deserves to be inducted (same with Jack).
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    It's all about the cymbals. There's too many cymbals. We need a world with less cymbals.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

It's all about the cymbals. There's too many cymbals. We need a world with less cymbals.

Boooo, always more cymbals
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    rival. said:

i get it. but the man wasn't fired for his drumming, right? it's one of those lost pieces of pearl jam history that no one will really ever know about

Some people know. Dave knows. The band know. Some others have a fair idea.

But clearly no one from the band or Curtis mgmt have contacted him over the HOF issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

rival. said:

i get it. but the man wasn't fired for his drumming, right? it's one of those lost pieces of pearl jam history that no one will really ever know about

But clearly no one from the band or Curtis mgmt have contacted him over the HOF issue.
    These pretzels are making me thirsty.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    edited December 2016

KV4053 said:

Boooo, always more cymbals
    Ugh, those f-ing cymbals. That's what this is all about. If he just would have compromised on 10 instead of 20....
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

rival. said:

huh?
  • Options

KV4053 said:

rival. said:

huh?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.