Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    tkiggs said:

Well anyway, congrats to my favorite band!

Yeah that's the important thing. Congrats to the guys. It's so well earned. It's a shame this negativity is taking over the story.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

This is a tough one. Matt has put in the the most time. But PJ was already on their way to the RNR HOF before he joined up. They were going in with or without Matt. I guess it's too bad they can't put them all in.

I wonder. Do you think that if PJ hadn't persisted after Vitalogy they would have been inducted? I honestly don't know. It's possible that if they hadn't stayed together all these years and stopped after 3 albums they and their first 3 albums would have lost a fair bit of relevance. It's possible that the way they endured after the early years had a big role in keeping those albums as relevant as they still are. Also, the RRHOF does really seem to take less popular yet outstanding work into serious consideration. PJ's earliest albums were certainly the most popular and successful, but they have had the full influence that they have by years and years of touring, building and keeping a relatively unusually dedicated fan base, and I'm sure the RRHOF folks have total understanding when it comes to the importance of the band's extraordinary endurance after their first few years and their consistent big presence in the music world. Not to mention the insane quality of the music that came after Vitalogy. In other words, PJ's most famous albums are far from the only thing that define their overall legacy in the music world. They alone may not have been enough to make them a shoe-in on their first nomination. I actually doubt they would have been if they'd broken up in the mid-90s.
    They put Nirvana in with 3 albums, why not Pearl Jam? Without those first 3 and the explosion of popularity they would likely not be considered.

Eddie Vedder didn't blow his brains out.
    So?
    Pearl Jam would not be in with only 3 albums unless something tragic happened, like Eddie blowing his brains out a la Cobain.
  • Options

Sarava said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

This is a tough one. Matt has put in the the most time. But PJ was already on their way to the RNR HOF before he joined up. They were going in with or without Matt. I guess it's too bad they can't put them all in.

I wonder. Do you think that if PJ hadn't persisted after Vitalogy they would have been inducted? I honestly don't know. It's possible that if they hadn't stayed together all these years and stopped after 3 albums they and their first 3 albums would have lost a fair bit of relevance. It's possible that the way they endured after the early years had a big role in keeping those albums as relevant as they still are. Also, the RRHOF does really seem to take less popular yet outstanding work into serious consideration. PJ's earliest albums were certainly the most popular and successful, but they have had the full influence that they have by years and years of touring, building and keeping a relatively unusually dedicated fan base, and I'm sure the RRHOF folks have total understanding when it comes to the importance of the band's extraordinary endurance after their first few years and their consistent big presence in the music world. Not to mention the insane quality of the music that came after Vitalogy. In other words, PJ's most famous albums are far from the only thing that define their overall legacy in the music world. They alone may not have been enough to make them a shoe-in on their first nomination. I actually doubt they would have been if they'd broken up in the mid-90s.
    After vitalogy? That's different than what I spoke of, which was Matt joining (he joined after Yield). After Yield, yes they were basically a lock at that point to me. After Vitalogy, probably but not for sure. At that point they probably just needed to put out a few decent albums, to make the catalog deeper.
    When you look at pieces written on Pearl Jam's legacy, they always focus on 1991-1994 and briefly cover the rest in a paragraph or less. Hell, PJ20 did the same thing. While Pearl Jam post-1994 is important to us as fans, its not hailed as their best work by others, for better or for worse.

When it comes down to the RnRHOF, it's absolutely the first three albums and a nod of existence and survival for the following seven.
    Absolutely, huh?

I think 25 years of relevance, and morphing into one of the greatest live acts of the last 15 years has just as much to do with it as the first 4 years they were around, but that's just me.

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077

Sarava said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

After vitalogy? That's different than what I spoke of, which was Matt joining (he joined after Yield). After Yield, yes they were basically a lock at that point to me. After Vitalogy, probably but not for sure. At that point they probably just needed to put out a few decent albums, to make the catalog deeper.
    When you look at pieces written on Pearl Jam's legacy, they always focus on 1991-1994 and briefly cover the rest in a paragraph or less. Hell, PJ20 did the same thing. While Pearl Jam post-1994 is important to us as fans, its not hailed as their best work by others, for better or for worse.

When it comes down to the RnRHOF, it's absolutely the first three albums and a nod of existence and survival for the following seven.
    Absolutely, huh?

I think 25 years of relevance, and morphing into one of the greatest live acts of the last 15 years has just as much to do with it as the first 4 years they were around, but that's just me.

I completely agree.
  • Options
    tkiggstkiggs Posts: 46
    If the world is still here when the induction takes place....
    painted moon

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,303

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

They put Nirvana in with 3 albums, why not Pearl Jam? Without those first 3 and the explosion of popularity they would likely not be considered.

So?
    Pearl Jam would not be in with only 3 albums unless something tragic happened, like Eddie blowing his brains out a la Cobain.
    NWA got in for 1 album
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    NewJPage said:

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

So?
    NWA got in for 1 album
    NWA is nothing like Pearl Jam or Nirvana.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,470
    Congratulations JA, SG, EV, DK, MC, and the mighty MM!
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    Pearl Jam would get in with just the first 3 albums. Those were important albums at a time when the direction of music was changing. Also there are a lot of bands or artists that are in with only a few or less albums.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    igotid88 said:

Pearl Jam would get in with just the first 3 albums. Those were important albums at a time when the direction of music was changing. Also there are a lot of bands or artists that are in with only a few or less albums.

agreed. nirvana getting in had zero to do with kurt's death. nevermind cemented them getting in. he could have released 7 consecutive albums on accordian and they still would have been given the nod.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Maybe, maybe not. Bottom line is Dave A isn't getting in and people need to accept that. Doesn't change anyone's lives any.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

Maybe, maybe not. Bottom line is Dave A isn't getting in and people need to accept that. Doesn't change anyone's lives any.

I don't think anyone here is losing any sleep over it. I've said this time and again here: it's a debate/discussion. let it happen.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    It is a communist act of treason Dave A is not getting in before Krusen....

My order would be..

Cameron
    Dave A.
    Irons
    Krusen
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited December 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Sarava said:

Yeah, and one might wonder if Nirvana would have the kind of endurance or influence that it does had Cobain not killed himself, so.....
    At any rate, Nirvana isn't PJ and vice versa. What happens to Nirvana is separate from what happens to PJ of course.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,212
    The RHOF is a shit event. It's not about the art that is music,it's a social club created by Jann Wenner. If it's about impact on the listener,I don't see why Dave A. got snubbed.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    joseph33 said:

The RHOF is a shit event. It's not about the art that is music,it's a social club created by Jann Wenner. If it's about impact on the listener,I don't see why Dave A. got snubbed.

Well you may be right, but the thing is that you can still visit the RRHOF and the bands mostly seem to really enjoy the honour too, so it's not JUST about the politics or whatever behind the inductions. I really know nothing about what some others are saying re Wenner and all that crap, and I really don't care. Some people get inducted, some don't. I can't say I feel overly concerned for those who don't. This is something I just can't be bothered to overthink. I think it's nice that the bands who get in do, and that they are honoured on TV and memorialized in the Hall of Fame. I figure those who feel upset about not getting in perhaps take it too seriously (I know, easy for me to say, as someone who hasn't been snubbed and who isn't a successful musician, lol).
    Well anyhow.... Congrats to PJ! I'm sure they are at least somewhat pleased, especially Eddie, who seems to dig the whole thing judging from his attitude at the ceremonies that he inducted for.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I've followed the band since 1992... wrote a letter to the band about how much I loved their music in 1993... joined Vitology Health Club shortly after... and my fervor for their music has not yielded to age and responsibilities (40+ shows attended). I plan to be there in NYC on April 7th as a devoted fan and as a thank you for the life's work they've shared.

But, man am I disappointed in the lack of induction for Dave Abbruzzese. He was a integral part of the band and at times someone you couldn't take your eyes off during a show (like Mr. Ed) because he was so damn good at his craft. I do honestly believe the band sounded its best with him on drums (as much as I have enjoyed all those that came after him).

In the band I trust and will forever be grateful for their work and the humility they've reflected in everything they do... But Dave A. deserves better from his former bandmates ($$ issues notwithstanding).
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    it was not their decision
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Politics aside, this is like being dissapointed that Hillary isn't claiming the presidency for winning the popular vote.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Christ people. Give it up, already. He's been out of the band with little to no mention from the band for almost twenty years. Why on earth would he be inducted for like 3 years and two albums?
    He hit the drums and cymbals hard. That's it. He didn't reinvent the fucking wheel.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I agree OP. Dave A should get inducted but the band has no influence over the decision. However, as a fan, it's hard to argue dave A's worthiness over dave K. Matt is a no brainer.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Havent seen this topic yet. Good thing a thread was started.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,700
    Tired of hearing about it and reading Dave's shitty posts on his Facebook page.
    It's time he got over it ...

• Options
    E.K said:

Tired of hearing about it and reading Dave's shitty posts on his Facebook page.
    It's time he got over it ...

Easy fix; don't follow him on Facebook ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    edited December 2016
    Maybe the right thing to do is play one song with Krusen, Dave A, and Matt Cameron at the ceremony even though Dave A is not going in.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options

Christ people. Give it up, already. He's been out of the band with little to no mention from the band for almost twenty years. Why on earth would he be inducted for like 3 years and two albums?
    He hit the drums and cymbals hard. That's it. He didn't reinvent the fucking wheel.

Because he was a part of the band and made two records with them + SOLAT, Breath and the Evenflow single?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913

Because he was a part of the band and made two records with them + SOLAT, Breath and the Evenflow single?
    insert i got id and long road and you could say the same exact thing about jack irons. weren't they drummers for about the same amount of time?
    dave a: 91-spring 94
    jack: summer 94 to spring 98
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited December 2016
    There's already a 15 page thread about this.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,454
    At the end of the day... it's the band decision to invite him as a guest. And I'm fine with what they decide is best. We have no idea of the real back story. People accept conjecture as fact and assume a lot. The truth is we don't know what really happened. So we should leave it up to the 5 guys in the band to decide. They have the only opinion that counts.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

This discussion has been closed.