Options

Only 2 Drummers Get In? RnRHOF. Merged

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836

Would you invite your ex to an award ceremony where you were being honored?.......awkward

Yeah well this is business, not personal.

How do you know?

None of us know what really went on behind the scenes, so how do you know it's not personal?
    well of course it was personal back then. they didn't fire him because his drumming sucked.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited December 2016

12 pages arguing over an okay drummer who appeared on 2 of 10 albums. :lol:

He was the drummer during the era that built their career and is the reason they are being inducted 20-25 years later.

The world will remember those 2 albums,more than any of the albums that followed.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Would you invite your ex to an award ceremony where you were being honored?.......awkward

How do you know?

None of us know what really went on behind the scenes, so how do you know it's not personal?
    well of course it was personal back then. they didn't fire him because his drumming sucked.
    Wasn't he fired because his personable, smiling, love-what-I-do attitude clashed with Eddie, who at the time was going through his morose, world-weary, moody, tortured artist, it's-a-struggle-each-day-not-to-kill-myself phase?
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    is it really worth arguing about? the rules are the rules, and its fairly clear whos going in. Isnt that it?

anyway would Dave even be able to attend? I swear i read there was a warrant out for his arrest unless i dreamt that
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191

How do you know?

Wasn't he fired because his personable, smiling, love-what-I-do attitude clashed with Eddie, who at the time was going through his morose, world-weary, moody, tortured artist, it's-a-struggle-each-day-not-to-kill-myself phase?
    I always thought he got fired because he used too many cymbals, and he was breaking the NO-Press stance that they instituted during that period. He did some features in a drum magazine and he was possibly sponsored by instrument companies. don't really remember but it def came down to he and ED did not get along very well.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    pdalowsky said:

is it really worth arguing about? the rules are the rules, and its fairly clear whos going in. Isnt that it?

anyway would Dave even be able to attend? I swear i read there was a warrant out for his arrest unless i dreamt that

yes, but only in one state. can't recall which one.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lolobugg said:

How do you know?

I always thought he got fired because he used too many cymbals, and he was breaking the NO-Press stance that they instituted during that period. He did some features in a drum magazine and he was possibly sponsored by instrument companies. don't really remember but it def came down to he and ED did not get along very well.
    I never heard it being about anything but a personality clash.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 193
    Ed didn't like Dave = Bye Bye Dave
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077

Just an okay drummer??!!!
    Yes. I agree he was just an ok drummer.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

pdalowsky said:

yes, but only in one state. can't recall which one.
    Texas
  • Options
    Zod said:

A drummer who played on 66.67% of pearl jam's most famous albums. The 2 albums he played on eclipsed the sales and popularity of the 7 albums followed his tenure. The RRoF is generally about the influence (and to the extend a popularity of the band). Pearl Jam's comes from their first 3 albums. All 3 albums were big, epic and huge. Without those albums they don't get nominated. So how do you snub a guy who was in the band for 2 of them?

It feels like the same argument I made why the the new members of KISS shouldn't be inducted. The legend of KISS was all done by the original lineup. Their legacy, their best (most popular/influential albums) etc... Even though the new members have been in the band for the better part of a decade they had almost no impact on KISS' legacy.

I think Dave A. had an impact. He was a member of the band during their most influential period on 2/3rd's of their most influential albums. As much as we all love the later albums. It's not Binaural or Riot Act that get's the band to the RRoF. It's Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy.
    I dont necessarily agree with this. I don't think it is just the first three records that is getting them in. Its their entire catalogue + their continued relevance and definitely their reputation of being so good live for so many years. Not arguing against Dave A. by the way. I don't give a shit if he gets in or not just don't think he's as important/good as some make him out to be.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    If dave was there I would imagine it would be very awkward....why would you want that? Anybody could have drummed during that period; people didn't go to Pearl Jam shows or buy ten-vitalogy because of Dave.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

If dave was there I would imagine it would be very awkward....why would you want that? Anybody could have drummed during that period; people didn't go to Pearl Jam shows or buy ten-vitalogy because of Dave.

Exactly...... meg white could have played on those albums & they would have been successful.

+1
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I disagree. some drummers are inconsequential. I think Dave K falls into this category. Dave A was a monster that allowed them to write those songs and play them live. watching Jack trying to play vs/vitalogy songs was like watching a fat guy on a treadmill.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

I disagree. some drummers are inconsequential. I think Dave K falls into this category. Dave A was a monster that allowed them to write those songs and play them live. watching Jack trying to play vs/vitalogy songs was like watching a fat guy on a treadmill.
    Funny how different we all hear this band. I loved jacks style. Even on Vs/Vitalogy songs. He was a beast live.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Funny how different we all hear this band. I loved jacks style. Even on Vs/Vitalogy songs. He was a beast live.
    I love Jack and his style (Yield and No Code would have been incredibly different if Dave A were still in the band). I don't think Dave A could have pulled off his style. I just don't think Jack could keep up with the speed of Dave A's drumming, that's all.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

Zod said:

A drummer who played on 66.67% of pearl jam's most famous albums. The 2 albums he played on eclipsed the sales and popularity of the 7 albums followed his tenure. The RRoF is generally about the influence (and to the extend a popularity of the band). Pearl Jam's comes from their first 3 albums. All 3 albums were big, epic and huge. Without those albums they don't get nominated. So how do you snub a guy who was in the band for 2 of them?

It feels like the same argument I made why the the new members of KISS shouldn't be inducted. The legend of KISS was all done by the original lineup. Their legacy, their best (most popular/influential albums) etc... Even though the new members have been in the band for the better part of a decade they had almost no impact on KISS' legacy.

I think Dave A. had an impact. He was a member of the band during their most influential period on 2/3rd's of their most influential albums. As much as we all love the later albums. It's not Binaural or Riot Act that get's the band to the RRoF. It's Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy.
    I dont necessarily agree with this. I don't think it is just the first three records that is getting them in. Its their entire catalogue + their continued relevance and definitely their reputation of being so good live for so many years. Not arguing against Dave A. by the way. I don't give a shit if he gets in or not just don't think he's as important/good as some make him out to be.
    Hit the nail on the head, Abe!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913

mcgruff10 said:

dave k was around for 5 minutes.
    I don't think Dave A was a monster at all, different type of energy back then. If you would have put jack or matt in from 91-94 I'm pretty sure the result would have been the same.
    and can you even compare jack to dave in regards to vitalogy songs being played live?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    It could have been ANYONE drumming on those records. This whole "he was the drummer during the height of their popularity holds no water with me because it's not like he was the reason for the popularity. Pearl Jam is four guys and insert drummer here. Frankly, I don't think Krusen deserves it either, but I'm not against it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    Which Spinal Tap drummer was the best?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

mcgruff10 said:

I love Jack and his style (Yield and No Code would have been incredibly different if Dave A were still in the band). I don't think Dave A could have pulled off his style. I just don't think Jack could keep up with the speed of Dave A's drumming, that's all.
    Completely agree. Jack couldn't play like Dave & Dave couldn't play like Jack.

I love what each brought to the table, though. The rules are the rules & the band can't really do anything about it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

How do you know?

Yup, he was fired for being too awesome & nice.

They should have kicked out Eddie instead, the f does that guy know about being in a rock band?
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,932
    Please see the Posting Guidelines http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Please be nice and no gossip
    Thank you
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,193

How do you know?

The induction is business, not personal, is what I meant. The firing was completely personal I'm sure as Dave's drumming was awesome.

Everyone is saying get over it, it was 20 years ago. Can't you say the same about the current band members and what ever old beef there is? The induction is about recognizing the bands legacy and to me that includes Dave. And Jack.

DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    edited December 2016
    Nvm
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    Just hopping in here to scream my opinions into the void.... and I can promise you my opinions are correct, so enjoy them responsibly.

1. It is awesome that PJ is in the RRHOF. They deserve it.
    2. Dave A probably deserves to be included, but really, whatever.
    3. Dave was fired for musical and personal reasons a long time ago. That is completely justified.
    4. There is an obnoxious "Dave A Troll Cult" online who are hostile towards Ed.
    5. 2 days after the nomination and the only conversation online about PJ concerns Dave A, and that is obnoxious.
    6. The RRHOF is just industry wankery and should not be taken too seriously. Just enjoy it when and artist you love is honored and ignore it otherwise.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    TheGhost said:

Just hopping in here to scream my opinions into the void.... and I can promise you my opinions are correct, so enjoy them responsibly.

3. Dave was fired for musical and personal reasons a long time ago. That is completely justified.
    5. 2 days after the nomination and the only conversation online about PJ concerns Dave A, and that is obnoxious.
    6. The RRHOF is just industry wankery and should not be taken too seriously. Just enjoy it when and artist you love is honored and ignore it otherwise.

Great points, all 6 of them.

#4 cracks me up to no end - I'm sure some of them are trolls, but some are almost certainly serious which is both absurd & hilarious at the same time.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    TheGhost said:

well said
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    everything happens for a reason. they were part of the band when it fit best. dave a in the beginning, mat now, ect. but the mix of that made THE BAND what it is today. and thats what its about. the band and the music they played. matt should get the nod over anybody honestly. it wasnt dave that sold the early records.. it was the timing of the style of music. the "GRUNGE" era lol. and eddie lol. dave grohl was the drummer for half the foo fighters albums.. they not gonna invite taylor hawkins cause of that? no... cause currently he is the drummer. as is matt... case closed lol
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Exactly...... meg white could have played on those albums & they would have been successful.

+1
    Don't diss on Meg White. I like her drumming :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.