The Podesta Emails

Comments

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    my2hands said:

Find a new hobby... you seem obsessed... I know we don't know each other, but I'm 100% serious

Guess what, if you don't like the thread, don't read.
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Free said:

my2hands said:

Find a new hobby... you seem obsessed... I know we don't know each other, but I'm 100% serious

I think my2hands got a point. You're going to be terribly depressed when nothing comes of these emails. It's not a healthy obsession.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    my2hands said:

the only 1 keeping us from knowing each other is you since i just PM'd you my snapchat
    CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

I think my2hands got a point. You're going to be terribly depressed when nothing comes of these emails. It's not a healthy obsession.
    3 is never a crowd, PM sent!
    WikiLeaks is not only influencing the US elections, but transforming the US elections – as they should have been from the very beginning – into a global debate with serious geopolitical consequences at stake. What WikiLeaks is doing is revealing this brutal fight for power, but, as the old saying goes, “when a wise man points at the Moon, the idiot looks at the finger”. Instead of looking at the finger pointing to Russia, we should take a look at the leaks themselves.

If democracy and transparency means anything today, we should say: let them leak!
    Keep up the awesome job JC, and Let 'em leak! Love that old saying about a wise man and an idiot as well.
    edited October 2016
    Like Rocky said to Drago "Im still here" Ed said as well
    CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

Attempting to control what people post and ridicule, is quite telling of a person. Enjoy snapchat.
  • JC29856 said:

When the ruling class is in panic, their first reaction is to hide the panic.

They react out of cynicism: when their masks are revealed, instead of running around naked, they usually point the finger at the mask they wear. These days the whole world could witness a postmodern version of the infamous quote “Let them eat cake”, attributed to Marie-Antoinette, queen of France during the French Revolution.

As a reaction to WikiLeaks publishing his emails, John Podesta, the man behind Hillary Clinton’s campaign, posted a photo of a dinner preparation, saying “I bet the lobster risotto is better than the food at the Ecuadorian Embassy”.

A similar version of vulgar cynicism emerged earlier this month when Hillary Clinton reacted to the claim that she reportedly wanted to “drone” WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange (“Can’t we just drone this guy?”) when she was the US Secretary of State. Instead of denying her comments, Clinton said that she doesn’t recall any such joke, “It would have been a joke if it had been said, but I don’t recall that”.

One doesn’t have to read between the lines to understand that if Hillary Clinton had said that, she would have considered it a joke. But when emperors joke, it usually has dire consequences for those who are the objects of their “humor.”

Cyber-war Not with Russia…but WikiLeaks

During the last few months I have visited Julian Assange in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London several times and each time I came out of the Embassy, where he is spending his fifth year in political asylum under legitimate fear he might be extradited to the US, my thought was the following one: although he lives, without his family, in a postmodern version of solitary confinement (even prisoners are allowed to walk for up to one hour a day), although he has no access to fresh air or sunlight for more than 2000 days, although the UK government recently denied him safe passage to a hospital for an MRI scan, if his access to the internet would be cut off this would be the most severe attack on his physical and mental freedom.

The last time I saw him, which was only two weeks ago, he expressed the fear that, because he had already published leaks concerning US elections and with more to come, the US might find various ways to silence him, including pressuring Ecuador or even shutting down the internet.

What seemed a distant possibility only two weeks ago, soon became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When the Obama administration recently announced that it is, as John Biden said, planing an “unprecedented cyber covert action against Russia”, the first victim was not Putin, but precisely Julian Assange whose internet was cut off just a day after Biden’s self-contradictory proclamation.

No wonder Edward Snowden reacted immediately by saying that “nobody told Joen Biden what ‘covert operation’ means.

According to the U.S. Department of Defense’s Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, a covert operation is “an operation that is so planned and executed as to conceal the identity of or permit plausible denial by the sponsor.”

It is no secret anymore that the Ecuadorian government has come under extreme pressure since Assange leaked the Democratic National Committee email database. We don’t know yet whether the US pressured Ecuador to shut down the internet, but it is clear that the present US government and the government to come is fighting a war with WikiLeaks which is all but “covert”. Is it really a coincidence that Julian Assange’s internet access was cut off shortly after publication of Clinton’s Goldman Sachs speeches?

If at the beginning we still had a “soft” version of postmodern McCarthyism, with Hillary calling everyone opposed to her campaign a Russian spy (not only Assange, but also Donald Trump and Jill Stein), then with Obama’s recent intervention it became more serious.

With Obama’s threat of a cyber-war, the “soft” McCarthyism didn’t only acquire geopolitical significance, but at the same time a new mask was revealed: Obama is obviously trying to cement the public debate and make the Russian threat “real”, or at least to use it as a weapon in order to help Clinton to get elected. Moreover, this new twist in something that has already become much more than only US elections (US elections are never only US elections!), shows not only how Obama is ready to strengthen Hillary’s campaign, but it also reveals that a cyber war is already in the making.

It is not a cyber war with Russia, but with WikiLeaks.

And it is not the first time.

What would Clausewitz say?

In 2010, when the Collateral Murder video was published, the Afghan and Iraq war logs were released, and we witnessed one of the most sinister attacks on freedom of speech in recent history. VISA, Mastercard, Diners, American Express and Paypal imposed a banking blockade on WikiLeaks, although WikiLeaks had not been charged with any crime at either state, federal or international level. So if the US government successfully convinced payment companies representing more than 97% of the global market to shut down an independent publisher, why wouldn’t they pressure Ecuador or any other state or company to cut off the internet?

The US is not only rhetorically trying to “get” Assange (it is worth to check out the Assassinate Assange video for evidence of the verbal masturbation of US officials), he poses a serious threat to the major elite factions in the US to remain in power. No wonder panic is rising in the US, which is now going even so far that a 16-year-old boy in Britain has been arrested on criminal charges related to the alleged hacking of email accounts used by CIA director John Brennan, which WikiLeaks published in October 2016.

What WikiLeaks obviously successfully challenged–and maybe one day (“history is written by the victors”, remember?) it will be learned in military strategy– is what the Prussian general and military theorist Carl von Clausewitz would call the “centre of gravity” (Schwerpunkt), which is the “central feature of the enemy’s power”.

Instead of speaking about the Russians, we should start speaking about the Schwerpunkt of the actual leaks, their real essence. Just take the following quotes by Hillary Clinton exposed by WikiLeaks, which reveal her true nature and the politics behind her campaign: “We are going to ring China with missile defence”, “I want to defend fracking” and climate change environmentalists “should get a life”, “you need both a public and a private position”, “my dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders”.

What WikiLeaks has shown is not only that Hillary is a hawkish war-monger, first it was Libya (over 1,700 of the 33,000 Clinton emails published by WikiLeaks reference Libya), then it was Syria (at a Goldman Sachs conference she explicitly stated she would like to intervene in Syria), tomorrow it will be another war.

It is now clear – and this is the real “centre of gravity” where we should focus our attention – that the future Clinton cabinet may already been filled with Wall Street people like Obama’s was. No wonder WikiLeaks revelations create utter panic not only in the Democratic Party itself but also the Obama administration.

One question remains, isn’t WikiLeaks, by leaking all al these dirty secrets, influencing the US elections? Yes, it certainly is, but the current criticism misses its point: isn’t the very point of organisations such as WikiLeaks to publish the material they have and to influence public opinion?

The question should finally be turned around: isn’t the US mainstream media the one influencing the US elections? And isn’t Obama, by announcing a cyber-war with Russia, influencing the elections?

WikiLeaks is not only influencing the US elections, but transforming the US elections – as they should have been from the very beginning – into a global debate with serious geopolitical consequences at stake. What WikiLeaks is doing is revealing this brutal fight for power, but, as the old saying goes, “when a wise man points at the Moon, the idiot looks at the finger”. Instead of looking at the finger pointing to Russia, we should take a look at the leaks themselves.

If democracy and transparency means anything today, we should say: let them leak!

You've met Julian Assange?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" is often attributed to Voltaire, the French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher.
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    edited October 2016
    Excellent work, JC!

The excuses by the Clintonites are amazing. They apparently speak for Clinton. We haven't heard shit from that crook nor the White House, other then blaming Russia and bring up Trump's sorry ass. These sheep don't care that their queen is dodging and avoiding these hard facts. In fact when she went into hiding, avoiding the press for 9+months (and she's back at it again), they praised her and encouraged her for doing so.....WTF is wrong with these people!?!?! It's amazing the level of brainwash some of these folks have.
    Instead they make excuses for her, excuse after excuse after excuse...rather then somehow someway trying to improve our country's. democracy. Why? Because they put a politician above our country. Dumb it down.

keep up the excellent work, JC..... You're doing the media's work.
    Post edited by Boxes&Books on
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

If nothing is coming from these emails why are they going to such great lengths to silence wikileaks?
    Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

Attempting to control what people post and ridicule, is quite telling of a person. Enjoy snapchat.
    ...right...anyhow...
    I keep looking at these 'scandalous' emails, but there's nothing there. No substance, just the inner workings of a political machine. It is starting sound like the boy who cried wolf.
    CM189191 said:

Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

...right...anyhow...
    I keep looking at these 'scandalous' emails, but there's nothing there. No substance, just the inner workings of a political machine. It is starting sound like the boy who cried wolf.
    can you refer to who and where anyone but you classified them as "scandalous"? i dont think wiki or assange ever used the term.
    tonifig8 said:

Excellent work, JC!

The excuses by the Clintonites are amazing. They apparently speak for Clinton. We haven't heard shit from that crook nor the White House, other then blaming Russia and bring up Trump's sorry ass. These sheep don't care that their queen is dodging and avoiding these hard facts. In fact when she went into hiding, avoiding the press for 9+months (and she's back at it again), they praised her and encouraged her for doing so.....WTF is wrong with these people!?!?! It's amazing the level of brainwash some of these folks have.
    Instead they make excuses for her, excuse after excuse after excuse...rather then somehow someway trying to improve our country's. democracy. Why? Because they put a politician above our country. Dumb it down.

Has the ability to question been lost on the masses? To not question a potential leader is like asking for an Orwellian society. I guess people here want that.
    JC29856 said:

Today WikiLeaks begins its series on deals involving Hillary Clinton campaign Chairman John Podesta. Mr Podesta is a long-term associate of the Clintons and was President Bill Clinton's Chief of Staff from 1998 until 2001. Mr Podesta also controls the Podesta Group, a major lobbying firm and is the Chair of the Center for American Progress (CAP), a Washington DC-based think tank. Part 1 of the Podesta Emails comprises 2,060 emails and 170 attachments and focuses on Mr Podesta's communications relating to nuclear energy, and media handling over donations to the Clinton Foundation from mining and nuclear interests; 1,244 of the emails reference nuclear energy. The full collection includes emails to and from Hillary Clinton.

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/

SCANDALOUS!!!
    JC29856 said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

...right...anyhow...
    can you refer to who and where anyone but you classified them as "scandalous"? i dont think wiki or assange ever used the term.
    If not scandalous, disqualifying, incriminating, corrupt, etc,.what is it wikileaks or assange is trying to prove? Because whatever it is, I seem to be missing out on the controversy.
    edited October 2016
    According to the WikiLeaks website, its goal is "to bring important news and information to the public... One of our most important activities is to publish original source material alongside our news stories so readers and historians alike can see evidence of the truth."

Another of the organisation's goals is to ensure that journalists and whistleblowers are not prosecuted for emailing sensitive or classified documents. The online "drop box" is described by the WikiLeaks website as "an innovative, secure and anonymous way for sources to leak information to [WikiLeaks] journalists".[39]

In an interview as part of the American television program The Colbert Report, Assange discussed the limit to the freedom of speech, saying, "[it is] not an ultimate freedom, however free speech is what regulates government and regulates law. That is why in the US Constitution the Bill of Rights says that Congress is to make no such law abridging the freedom of the press. It is to take the rights of the press outside the rights of the law because those rights are superior to the law because in fact they create the law. Every constitution, every bit of legislation is derived from the flow of information. Similarly every government is elected as a result of people understanding things".[40]

The project has been compared to Daniel Ellsberg's revelation of the "Pentagon Papers" (US war-related secrets) in 1971.[41] In the United States, the "leaking" of some documents may be legally protected. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the Constitution guarantees anonymity, at least in the context of political discourse.[41] Author and journalist Whitley Strieber has spoken about the benefits of the WikiLeaks project, noting that "Leaking a government document can mean jail, but jail sentences for this can be fairly short. However, there are many places where it means long incarceration or even death, such as China and parts of Africa and the Middle East."[42]
    edited October 2016
    CM189191 said:

Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

...right...anyhow...
    To any Bernie supporter it proves exactly what we thought all along, that the whole thing was rigged against him, The DNC is is just as corrupt as the GOP, and yeah, politicians are dirty and don't give a shit about the people they serve, only special interests and big money.

But that isn't news to Clinton supporters... they tend to prefer an Orwellian society.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    tonifig8 said:

Excellent work, JC!

are you wearing a superman costume right now?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    CM189191 said:

JC29856 said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

...right...anyhow...
    If not scandalous, disqualifying, incriminating, corrupt, etc,.what is it wikileaks or assange is trying to prove? Because whatever it is, I seem to be missing out on the controversy.
    If corruption and/or blurring of lines between press, government and party politics aren't interesting or scandalous, then you're right, there's nothing here for you. You seem to be comfortable with the status quo corruption that is pervasive in national politics. Nothing here has shocked me so far, but I do find it interesting and informative. I wish the 5th estate could keep the 4th estate in check a little, but we've apparently accepted and are comfortable with the media and national politicians collaborating and assisting one another. The politicians get more power, and the media gets the scoops which sells more advertising. And we get two of the most disliked candidates in history pitted against one another. Yeehaw.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited October 2016

tonifig8 said:

Excellent work, JC!

are you wearing a superman costume right now?
    Is that a hint? Are you trying to see what I'm wearing?
    jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

JC29856 said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

...right...anyhow...
    If corruption and/or blurring of lines between press, government and party politics aren't interesting or scandalous, then you're right, there's nothing here for you. You seem to be comfortable with the status quo corruption that is pervasive in national politics. Nothing here has shocked me so far, but I do find it interesting and informative. I wish the 5th estate could keep the 4th estate in check a little, but we've apparently accepted and are comfortable with the media and national politicians collaborating and assisting one another. The politicians get more power, and the media gets the scoops which sells more advertising. And we get two of the most disliked candidates in history pitted against one another. Yeehaw.
    KABOOM!!!
    jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

JC29856 said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

...right...anyhow...
    :clap:
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    If "blurring of lines between press, government and party politics" were anything new, then it would be scandalous. Something that has been going on for years upon years and that everyone already knew about is not, by definition, scandalous. It's not even surprising. If you are upset that it happens, then that's fine obviously, and I'm not saying the fact this this goes on shouldn't be discussed. But just qualify it properly so people can relate. What you're doing right now is telling everyone what we already knew went on for as long as we can remember and then acting self-righteous when we don't all react with shock and as though it means Clinton should be hung up to dry, and this can put a damper on people wanting the issue at all. Just wondering.... where have you been all your life? Did you just start paying attention to politics this year?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

If "blurring of lines between press, government and party politics" were anything new, then it would be scandalous. Something that has been going on for years upon years and that everyone already knew about is not, by definition, scandalous. It's not even surprising. If you are upset that it happens, then that's fine obviously, and I'm not saying the fact this this goes on shouldn't be discussed. But just qualify it properly so people can relate. What you're doing right now is telling everyone what we already knew went on for as long as we can remember and then acting self-righteous when we don't all react with shock and as though it means Clinton should be hung up to dry, and this can put a damper on people wanting the issue at all. Just wondering.... where have you been all your life? Did you just start paying attention to politics this year?

Where of you been all your life, you're not even in the US. Since when are we supposed to be complacent with the way things are run in the US? and exactly how long has money and permitted to buy elections? And we should be complacent about that? we should be OK with the media being owned and controlled by government interests? I can go on...
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

...right...anyhow...
    To any Bernie supporter it proves exactly what we thought all along, that the whole thing was rigged against him, The DNC is is just as corrupt as the GOP, and yeah, politicians are dirty and don't give a shit about the people they serve, only special interests and big money.

But that isn't news to Clinton supporters... they tend to prefer an Orwellian society.
    Free, this thought just came to me and I'm curious to hear your response. Government members are still citizens of the United States, which means they have the right to partake in not just democracy, but also in capitalism. This is a blatant conflict of interest: just as Wall Street can not be relied upon to police itself and take moral and humanist stances over thoughts of its own bottom-line, Washington very clearly can not either. Speaking loudly about the corruption brings attention to this fact, but how do we mobilize citizens to have government return to speaking for the greatest collective quality of life, rather than the greatest collective dollars in their own pockets, without infringing on their constitutional rights to profiting personally? And without organized mobilization, what end do you see for spending such energy on drawing attention to corruption?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

Where of you been all your life, you're not even in the US. Since when are we supposed to be complacent with the way things are run in the US? and exactly how long has money and permitted to buy elections? And we should be complacent about that? we should be OK with the media being owned and controlled by government interests? I can go on...
    I have access to all of the same information as him, so where I live is irrelevant. I didn't say anyone should be complacent or okay with anything. I actually said the opposite of that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Now where are getting somewhere!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    jeffbr said:

CM189191 said:

JC29856 said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

...right...anyhow...
    This is well said.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited October 2016
    Free said:

CM189191 said:

Free said:

my2hands said:

Speaking of controlling one's thoughts and or opinions

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/15465

Ben Jealous former president of NAACP backed Bernie but they werent having any of that

I have to admit ive spent all day reading these emails and most of them at least released today are quite boring an irrelevant or very cryptic
This discussion has been closed.