Options

THE DEBATES 2016

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    Jason P said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

This debate is a bigger risk to Hillary. Trump could take a poop on the podium and his polling numbers might drop a few points at most. His stratagy has worked. He can no longer shock us. He has attained Mike Tyson zone where any story you could dream up may possibly be true.

If Hillary has to take a pee break or goes into a coughing fit or goes insane for having to deal with Trump, her numbers will drop more.

agree. sad but Hillary must appear fully healthy or it will be very bad for her. she needs to be strong, decisive and not get frustrated by his baiting. he will say nothing of consequence.
    If her interview (?) with Zach Galifianakis is any indication, she is capable of acting like she is not annoyed by someone for about 2 minutes max. How will she survive 90 minutes with Trump?

Is Vegas taking bets on how long before she cracks and chucks a microphone at Trump's head?
    Oh, please. Between Two Ferns is clearly edited to present all of his guests in the worst possible light. Her level of annoyance was on par with any other of his guests.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    Jason P said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

This debate is a bigger risk to Hillary. Trump could take a poop on the podium and his polling numbers might drop a few points at most. His stratagy has worked. He can no longer shock us. He has attained Mike Tyson zone where any story you could dream up may possibly be true.

If Hillary has to take a pee break or goes into a coughing fit or goes insane for having to deal with Trump, her numbers will drop more.

agree. sad but Hillary must appear fully healthy or it will be very bad for her. she needs to be strong, decisive and not get frustrated by his baiting. he will say nothing of consequence.
    If her interview (?) with Zach Galifianakis is any indication, she is capable of acting like she is not annoyed by someone for about 2 minutes max. How will she survive 90 minutes with Trump?

Is Vegas taking bets on how long before she cracks and chucks a microphone at Trump's head?
    seriously?....it's all a joke man
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    edited September 2016

Jason P said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

I think she was aware that is was a joke and her people told her it would be hip to do, but I don't think she was acting and playing along past the two minute mark.

Also, why would Hillary agree to do something that would show her in the worst possible light? That's not her M.O.
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

I think she was aware that is was a joke and her people told her it would be hip to do, but I don't think she was acting and playing along past the two minute mark.

Also, why would Hillary agree to do something that would show her in the worst possible light? That's not her M.O.
    If that's not her M.O., then shame on "her people" for proposing it, as it's clearly Zach Galifianakis' M.O.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    benjs said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

If that's not her M.O., then shame on "her people" for proposing it, as it's clearly Zach Galifianakis' M.O.
    She came out and admitted it was a mistake..that's not her element, not even close....she couldn't control that "interview" and you're right her people dropped the ball

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    edited September 2016
    The jokes on us, Trump debating? He will do no such thing. He will be the general turd, dick, assclown he always is and the mouth breathers will eat it up.

Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    jeffbr said:

rgambs said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

She also has the added difficulty of navigating the inherent sexism in America.
    If she is equally aggressive as Trump it will be viewed by many in a negative way, she can't be as forceful without being seen as a "shrew" and whatnot. Her voice doesn't do her any favors there.
    This is well documented and recognized among folks who do PR, marketing, focus groups and all that.
    Good post. It is frustrating, because I sometimes fall into this, and have to catch myself. When Hillary starts raising her voice it does come across like nails on a chalkboard to me, but I recognize that she needs to be assertive and at times aggressive, especially in her own defense. Trump will be stirring shit up and in general being a dick, but he'll get a pass. Hillary will have to defend herself, probably roll her eyes or make faces a few times trying to shrug it off, or raise her voice to get a point across, and she'll be the one to be made to look bad. She will easily out-debate Trump, but she won't necessarily "win" the debate. That's the dilemma for her. The debate has the potential to do more harm than good for her campaign.
    Mostly good advice except the faces. Her coaches would do well to suggest she NOT make faces. They end up on bad looking memes every time.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited September 2016
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

Have you ever watched between 2 ferns before? It's all staged comedy, aimed to put the guest in a good light. All the questions have been vetted before hand. Hillary knew exactly what she was doing.

She was joking about regretting the interview.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/09/22/hillary-clinton-says-regrets-between-two-ferns-interview-with-zach-galifianakis.html

Whoosh! I feel like AMT has been taken over by a bunch of 80 year olds screaming "get off my lawn". You clearly didn't get it.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

pjhawks said:

Jason P said:

Bad publicity (even if it's just for laughs) is still publicity. ;)
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited September 2016
    Netnyahoo giving the instructions. He meets with Trump first then Hilliary.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Anyone think Jeff Epstein and the topic of sex slave island will come up tomorrow? The private airplane and FAA logs?
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327

Usually what has the greater effect is how the press presents the debate after it's over. Since they seem to finally coming around to identifying Trump's lies more directly and frequently, this will probably be a 2 - 3 point bump for Hillary.

The question is whether the mods will be fact checking during the debate or not. Do you think they will use previous statements made on TV by both hillary and Donald?

To be honest, I'm more interested in bill Maher tweets during the debate than the actual debate and I don't have twitter
  • Options
    Are all of the questions scripted? Will Hilliary and Trump know the questions?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,007
    JC29856 said:

Are all of the questions scripted? Will Hilliary and Trump know the questions?

I think they know the topics....but not actual questions
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I've never heard of Zach's show. I was giving an honest assessment on what it appeared to look like. Guess I'm not cool and hip and in with it.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Jason P said:

I've never heard of Zach's show. I was giving an honest assessment on what it appeared to look like. Guess I'm not cool and hip and in with it.

When he interviewed Obama, he asked questions like "Are you going to build your presidential library in Chicago or in your home village in Kenya?" and "How does it feel to be the last black president?"
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Bart Simpson vs. Lisa Simpson
  • Options
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,679
    I can't believe how many people I've run into today who said that they are going home and drinking booze to watch the debate. :lol: None of them want to be watching because they expect a train wreck, but they all have to admit that that is the reason they plan on watching (these are Canadians of course).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,037
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Hypocrisy at work.

USAID, the government agency charged with promoting foreign development, funded a guide for “organizers around the globe seeking to hold candidate debates for elected offices.” The guide, published in 2014, recommends that debates be as inclusive as possible.

“With an inclusive debate, the sponsor sends the message that all candidates have a right to be heard,” the guide, which appears in English and Arabic, notes. The guide claims that there are some instances in which voters are served by limiting participants in the debate. For example, “Limiting the number of candidates allows voters to hear in more depth about the policies of the front runners, who are more likely to actually gain office and govern.”

“However,” the guide notes that, “excluding a number of candidates can open up sponsors to public accusations of discrimination and political bias against the aspirants (or even legal action) from smaller parties that do not receive an invitation.” A possible “middle ground,” the guide advises, is to hold multiple debates, including a forum with second tier candidates, and other public events “to help all candidates get their message to the public.”

The American public will not see either of the third party candidates with a significant following during the first presidential debate tonight. Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson and Green Party candidate Jill Stein were disqualified from participating in the debate by the Commission on Presidential Debates, the private organization that organizing the event. There are no nationally televised debates scheduled this fall for the public to hear from Stein or Johnson.

The USAID guide also encourages moderators of debates to ask follow-up questions “to clarify a candidate’s answer or to probe his or her positions more deeply.” That’s also very different than our system. In 2012, a leaked “Memo of Understanding” between the Democratic and Republican candidates asserted that moderators could not ask follow-up questions, making it nearly impossible to fact-check the candidates.
  • Options
    Debate-a-mania

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,182
    hedonist said:

Will the Donald stroke out?

Oh boy did I read that wrong.
    Stroke meh Stroke meh!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Will the Donald stroke out?

Oh boy did I read that wrong.
    Stroke meh Stroke meh!
    Would be great if he did the Billy Squier "dance"...though I think that was from another video.
  • Options
    OMG I will coin a new phase "Trump wreck"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    "Trumped up trickle down"
    Come on, Clinton.
    You need to be above that.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?