THE DEBATES 2016

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Alec Baldwin nails Donald Trump’s debate performance in SNL cold open

http://www.vox.com/2016/10/2/13135700/snl-trump-clinton-baldwin
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Go take an economic class.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Learn how to defend your position.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

I have.

Stop being a statist, it's unbecoming.
    edited October 2016
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

I have.

Stop being a statist, it's unbecoming.
    That's a joke right? You haven't made even a cursory defense.
    You act like it's all so simple that everyone who doesn't get it is a fool, and yet you can't answer the simplest questions.
    You say "muh roads" but you can't explain the rebuttal.
    You say "societes can't exist without government?" sarcastically but, you can't name one that has.

You don't have rebuttal for anything, you have only catchphrases.
    It's not really worth my time discussing anything with you because no matter what I can't convince a bootlicker not to like the taste of leather.

The mere idea that people can't run their own lives without a ruling class to tell them what to do is ludicrous and despite my attempts to illustrate such you prefer to come back with stupid replies like "move to Somalia".

In other words you bore me.
    unsung said:

It's not really worth my time discussing anything with you because no matter what I can't convince a bootlicker not to like the taste of leather.

The mere idea that people can't run their own lives without a ruling class to tell them what to do is ludicrous and despite my attempts to illustrate such you prefer to come back with stupid replies like "move to Somalia".

That's some serious arrogance from someone who can't answer simple questions.
    That's a typical libertarian response, in my experience.
    Maybe someday a libertarian will deign to come down from their lofty domain and prove that they can answer simple questions with tangible answers grounded in reality, but until then, I will have to assume none are capable of doing so.

Calling me a bootlicker is a bit offensive isn't it?
    I'd bet real money that my life is more than twice as self-sufficient asyours, but I suppose it isn't worth the pissing contest.
    It isn't, you'd probably lose that bet.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,934
    unsung said:

You're trying to deny basic human nature. If left alone with no government, say on Monday it was completely eliminated. After our 4 day Libertarian party, we're all going to start organizing in groups, and people being people, we'll sometimes do things to step on others toes. Naturally we're going to come up with a set of rules and a way to enforce these rules. All animals do this. What the rules are and how they are enforced is where the debate needs to happen. You go so far out there that you're trying to say everyone makes there own rules. I'm assuming this a big part of your own identity which is why you hold onto it so strongly.
    Where do you guys keep coming up with this Libertarian thing? Because I'm not a Democrat or Republican I'm a Libertarian now? If I were I'd vote for Johnson, but I'm not voting.

unsung said:

I assume you must live on a farm and not in town. You must have a well, a spring, and own a natural gas well too.
    Hahaha how much food do you grow? How many chickens you keep? Got some goats? Pigs? Cattle? I don't keep cattle, too much land is needed for grazing, I only have 5 acres, I get plenty of milk from the goats and meat from the pigs anyways. Own your own business? That one I wouldn't have much trouble believing.
    :lol:

unsung said:

You're trying to deny basic human nature. If left alone with no government, say on Monday it was completely eliminated. After our 4 day Libertarian party, we're all going to start organizing in groups, and people being people, we'll sometimes do things to step on others toes. Naturally we're going to come up with a set of rules and a way to enforce these rules. All animals do this. What the rules are and how they are enforced is where the debate needs to happen. You go so far out there that you're trying to say everyone makes there own rules. I'm assuming this a big part of your own identity which is why you hold onto it so strongly.
    Bingo.

Finally.

Rules, no rulers. Do you understand how you can have one without the other?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,934
    unsung said:

Where do you guys keep coming up with this Libertarian thing? Because I'm not a Democrat or Republican I'm a Libertarian now? If I were I'd vote for Johnson, but I'm not voting.

That's a dodge of my point. Can we say Quasi-Libertarianesque? Don't fixate on the label, were just talking about you thoughts as an individual and not what label they fit into.
    unsung said:

Because I don't want to sully myself with the A word lol
    I'm guessing you're an An-Cap?
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Bingo.

Finally.

The people who enforce the rules are rulers. That's pretty simple isn't it?
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Bingo.

Finally.

What if everyone enforced the rule
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

There's nothing wrong with that word.
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Bingo.

Finally.

Not if done equally. Who rules when everyone has an equal voice?

unsung said:

That's a dodge of my point. Can we say Quasi-Libertarianesque? Don't fixate on the label, were just talking about you thoughts as an individual and not what label they fit into.
    But I find the need to defend my stance when I'm labeled a such.
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

I assume you must live on a farm and not in town. You must have a well, a spring, and own a natural gas well too.
    Hahaha how much food do you grow? How many chickens you keep? Got some goats? Pigs? Cattle? I don't keep cattle, too much land is needed for grazing, I only have 5 acres, I get plenty of milk from the goats and meat from the pigs anyways. Own your own business? That one I wouldn't have much trouble believing.
    Well, if true good on you. It's a great step to take and very fulfilling.
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Bingo.

Finally.

rgambs said:

unsung said:

I just don't see any evidence that it's possible. My wife likes ancap art, she has a deeply idealistic and romantic heart, but she's a physician so her head is more pragmatic and realist.

The A word is worse to me than the C word.
    Communism lol not the other one
    edited October 2016
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

True indeed, farm gets better every year. Thanks, it is VERY fulfilling.
    Goats are Nigerian dwarfs, 2 does and a wether. Lois, Meg, and Peter. Breed them out alternately each year with a dwarf stud service (yes, that's a real thing lol) in Bergholz and sell the kids.
    The chickens are dual purpose breed, Rhode Island Red about a dozen hens and 1 rooster. They don't get names because we eat them when they start laying lazy. The rooster is Shakespeare.
    Buy 2 feeder pigs in March and butcher in late May usually. Duroc usually, depends what they have at the Carrolton livestock auction when I go. I usually call one Hamm and the other Bacon.
    The garden is my pride, it grows every year and I surpassed 2.5 tons of produce for the first time this year. That's less than it sounds, a single zucchini plant can give you more than 50 lbs!

I can brag on my little farm all day, I should have a blog like everyone else lol
    Post edited by rgambs on
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

Bingo.

Finally.

rgambs said:

unsung said:

I just don't see any evidence that it's possible. My wife likes ancap art, she has a deeply idealistic and romantic heart, but she's a physician so her head is more pragmatic and realist.

The A word is worse to me than the C word.
    Communism lol not the other one
    You may be mistaken in the correct definition.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

Goats are Nigerian dwarfs, 2 does and a wether. Lois, Meg, and Peter. Breed them out alternately each year with a dwarf stud service (yes, that's a real thing lol) in Bergholz and sell the kids.
    The chickens are dual purpose breed, Rhode Island Red about a dozen hens and 1 rooster. They don't get names because we eat them when they start laying lazy. The rooster is Shakespeare.
    Buy 2 feeder pigs in March and butcher in late May usually. Duroc usually, depends what they have at the Carrolton livestock auction when I go. I usually call one Hamm and the other Bacon.
    The garden is my pride, it grows every year and I surpassed 2.5 tons of produce for the first time this year. That's less than it sounds, a single zucchini plant can give you more than 50 lbs!

I can brag on my little farm all day, I should have a blog like everyone else lol
    I sincerely fucking love this, gambo.

And this kind of life is tempting to me for sure. We're happy in our little condo and life in the city, but to have land and animals and be less dependent on other sources? Sounds really nice.
    hedonist said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

I sincerely fucking love this, gambo.

And this kind of life is tempting to me for sure. We're happy in our little condo and life in the city, but to have land and animals and be less dependent on other sources? Sounds really nice.
    I know some people manage it while working full time as well, but I don't understand how.
    I have a hard time keeping up... It will be better when Simon is old enough to help, right now he still a hindrance lol
    Tonight's main chore is chopping a bushel of hot and mild peppers to freeze for eggs, soups, chili, and fajitas in the winter. Every day there is something to do and when we take vacation we have to pay and cajole people to feed and water the hens and goats...
    I love it though, and Becca enjoys the fruits of the labor even though she gets tired of me leaving her with Simon to go muck the pens, mow the lawn, turn the compost, etc etc
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

Yeah, that is great. You have more than me, I'll concede.

That said I'm making more and more steps to becoming more and more regenerative and we try not to visit stores instead prefer to go to other small farms and pick up what we need from them. A buddy of mine has a cow and goats, I have been thinking about raising goats just to sell at auction, we really don't drink milk so there isn't much point to for us now.

We haven't bought produce since May, most meat since last fall, only bacon so far, and I much prefer bartering over anything else.
    unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

That said I'm making more and more steps to becoming more and more regenerative and we try not to visit stores instead prefer to go to other small farms and pick up what we need from them. A buddy of mine has a cow and goats, I have been thinking about raising goats just to sell at auction, we really don't drink milk so there isn't much point to for us now.

We haven't bought produce since May, most meat since last fall, only bacon so far, and I much prefer bartering over anything else.
    I love the movement towards eating local, it makes so much sense on so many levels.
    I don't drink milk at all, gross.
    I make yogurt and cheese, clabber the leftovers and give it to the other critters.
    2.5 tons was an idiotic brain fart, 2,500 lbs lol
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

I love the movement towards eating local, it makes so much sense on so many levels.
    I make yogurt and cheese, clabber the leftovers and give it to the other critters.
    You make cheese, awesome. Met a family yesterday at a garlic festival who makes their own. It was delicious.
    Free said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

You make cheese, awesome. Met a family yesterday at a garlic festival who makes their own. It was delicious.
    Once you get the hang of it it's no harder than canning or making bread or any other kitchen task.
    When is the next debate? I can't help but think it will go pretty similarly...hard to imagine much will be different.