THE DEBATES 2016

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,096
    edited September 2016

PJ_Soul said:

I dont make very much at all. I dont think people should be making $15 an hour to START. Maybe there shoukd be minimum increases based on length of employment, etc, but $15 for an entry level job is too much. Or maybe base the starting wage on local economics, as pj soul eluded to.

Even for those with college degrees? $15/ hour would be less than $32k/ year.
    if you are going to work at a fast food joint, your degree matters not.

if you are going to work in your field, a minimum wage shouldn't be required. industry standards should be good enough. generally college educated folks going into their field aren't making less than $15.
    College educated, work in my field. Been at my job almost 15 years and I'm making just a little over this. It's ridiculous. I don't have kids. I don't know how anyone who does have kids survives on this pay scale, because I barely get by.
    really? that's crazy.
    There are a lot of jobs that require education but pay poorly (held by the great people of the world who don't think of money as priority #1) .... too bad so many people hate unions these days. This is the kind of thing unions fight to change.
    I'm one of those. when I started in this job, it was 24K per year. Now, 10 years later, I'm about 37K, which is peanuts compared to pretty much everyone in my peer group (and I'm 42 years old). I thought I was in the minority.
    I'm a structural engineer and started with 50K, which sounded great, until I realized that the people at my firm who had been there 15 years more than me were being paid only a bit more. I work in a different field now, took a steep pay cut to start out in it, but am finding more gratification in my job than I did as an engineer. For what it's worth, my university degree may have helped me get the job, but I'm not sure it contributed much to the salary.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,857
    edited September 2016

PJ_Soul said:

I dont make very much at all. I dont think people should be making $15 an hour to START. Maybe there shoukd be minimum increases based on length of employment, etc, but $15 for an entry level job is too much. Or maybe base the starting wage on local economics, as pj soul eluded to.

if you are going to work in your field, a minimum wage shouldn't be required. industry standards should be good enough. generally college educated folks going into their field aren't making less than $15.
    College educated, work in my field. Been at my job almost 15 years and I'm making just a little over this. It's ridiculous. I don't have kids. I don't know how anyone who does have kids survives on this pay scale, because I barely get by.
    really? that's crazy.
    There are a lot of jobs that require education but pay poorly (held by the great people of the world who don't think of money as priority #1) .... too bad so many people hate unions these days. This is the kind of thing unions fight to change.
    I'm one of those. when I started in this job, it was 24K per year. Now, 10 years later, I'm about 37K, which is peanuts compared to pretty much everyone in my peer group (and I'm 42 years old). I thought I was in the minority.
    I'm one of those too. My salary is nearly $50K (and I admit that my benefits package is fucking insanely good, including 100% employer paid pension), but of course it's all relative because of location. $50K here is like $30K in most other places. And since I'm in the education sector, government funding is what dictates salary increases, which means those increases don't even come close to matching inflation or rising costs of living because Christy Clarke and the BC Libs are the WORST. Plus promotions here are practically meaningless if you're looking at pay raises. Anyway, nevertheless, I love my job and my employer (and my benefits!), so what the hell. Being content is worth more to me than cash.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Question: what does Lester Holt do when the computer screen prompts him to check the "I'm not a robot" box?
    JC29856 said:

Question: what does Lester Holt do when the computer screen prompts him to check the "I'm not a robot" box?

Suffers an existential crisis.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    Free said:

brianlux said:

Oliver is great but what I get out of what he said is the same old, TRUMP IS SOOOO BAD...

well, yeah, of course he is. But how is that a reason to elect HRC? I just don't get that. I'm still voting for Stein.

Overwhelmingly, From what the media tells us, and that goes for every major channel, is that the fear of Trump is enough to vote HRC in.
    Or there are those of us who couldn't care less what the media says, but we just get ignored. 2 out of the 4 of the nominees have about the same amount of policies that agree with me. However, only one is experienced enough to be a good president and move the country in what I see as the right direction. That person will be getting my vote, regardless of the flaws that have been blown out of proportion.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I like Lester Holt a lot. That was a no win situation for him.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Kind of random, but read the other day that Lester Holt is a registered Republican and Chris Wallace is a registered Democrat.

Free said:

brianlux said:

Oliver is great but what I get out of what he said is the same old, TRUMP IS SOOOO BAD...

well, yeah, of course he is. But how is that a reason to elect HRC? I just don't get that. I'm still voting for Stein.

Overwhelmingly, From what the media tells us, and that goes for every major channel, is that the fear of Trump is enough to vote HRC in.
    Or there are those of us who couldn't care less what the media says, but we just get ignored. 2 out of the 4 of the nominees have about the same amount of policies that agree with me. However, only one is experienced enough to be a good president and move the country in what I see as the right direction. That person will be getting my vote, regardless of the flaws that have been blown out of proportion.
    Best answer I've read :) Good on ya!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Indianapolis Posts: 19,318
    edited September 2016

I like him too but he let Trump walk all over him. He was likely wanting to avoid any perceived bias against Trump but who could blame him if he would have just told him to shut up?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,934
    JC29856 said:

He does have a C3PO head.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562

I like him too but he let Trump walk all over him. He was likely wanting to avoid any perceived bias against Trump but who could blame him if he would have just told him to shut up?

Honestly, I'd like to have seen this run professionally, instead of like the gimmicky reality TV show that this entire election has been. Turn off his fucking microphone when she's talking, and do the same to hers when he is. Cut off both microphones when Holt is addressing either person with a question. The committee had the ability to force decorum, and chose not to, even when they knew they needed to.

EV
    Turning off mics so the adults don't interrupt sounds more like 7th grade than professional.

Turning off mics so the adults don't interrupt sounds more like 7th grade than professional.

And yet without that - the debate sounded more like 7th grade than professional.

EV
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,451
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

really? that's crazy.
    I'm one of those too. My salary is nearly $50K (and I admit that my benefits package is fucking insanely good, including 100% employer paid pension), but of course it's all relative because of location. $50K here is like $30K in most other places. And since I'm in the education sector, government funding is what dictates salary increases, which means those increases don't even come close to matching inflation or rising costs of living because Christy Clarke and the BC Libs are the WORST. Plus promotions here are practically meaningless if you're looking at pay raises. Anyway, nevertheless, I love my job and my employer (and my benefits!), so what the hell. Being content is worth more to me than cash.
    yeah, that's one of the reasons not many people leave where I work. our benefits are second to none, including a defined benefit plan. crazy stuff.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Ha....I thought this was just sour grapes but apparently he wasn't lying!

http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/30/presidential-debates-admits-trumps-mic-was-messed-up/
    edited September 2016
    BS44325 said:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/30/presidential-debates-admits-trumps-mic-was-messed-up/

There were no sound problems at all on TV though. None. How did this mic supposedly make Trump act like an ass?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I keep waiting to see if Trump even knows that Twitter exists and that his account is really run by a comedian.
  • PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

There were no sound problems at all on TV though. None. How did this mic supposedly make Trump act like an ass?
    Exactly I didn't realize that a bad mic made him seem like a joke candidate his pathetic at best !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Apparently the clown was right about having a defective mic. This will only add fire to the paranoia.

theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/trump-was-apparently-right-about-the-debate-microphone/502484/
    Jason P said:

Apparently the clown was right about having a defective mic. This will only add fire to the paranoia.

theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/trump-was-apparently-right-about-the-debate-microphone/502484/

We've already covered this. ;)
    PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

My computer must have found a tear in the space time continuum!
    edited September 2016
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

:lol: Gotta love jokes that allude to Star Trek: TNG. My favorite! :glasses:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Jason P said:

PJ_Soul said:

Jason P said:

Trumps's ten year old is messing with the cyber.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Pay them $200/hr.
    Why not 0.25$

Libertarian wages for everyone!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    If they could get people to work for it I'm good with it.
    unsung said:

If they could get people to work for it I'm good with it.

:dizzy:

You wouldn't be when your options were 25 cents an hour or no job.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    In a free society who are you to tell me what I should make or earn? You don't own me. I own me.

Your entire argument in raising a min wage reeks of desperation and zero understanding of economics. Why do you think the government wants it raised? Do you seriously believe that it is so people can have more money?
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Please take the time to watch the whole video....you might be glad you did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZYjgicQOJU

Godfather.
    unsung said:

In a free society who are you to tell me what I should make or earn? You don't own me. I own me.

Your entire argument in raising a min wage reeks of desperation and zero understanding of economics. Why do you think the government wants it raised? Do you seriously believe that it is so people can have more money?

A free society lol. That's rich. You don't advocate a free society, you advocate a slave society. You advocate a utopia where capital holds more power than government and they magically hold back on using that power to subjugate labor out of the good of their hearts.
    Zero understanding of economics lol
    That's even richer! Your system failed. Miserably. As bad as communism, if not worse.

Why does the government want minimum wage raised? Well, only half the government does, and maybe, just maybe, it's because that is the will of the electorate??? Shocking thought, that politicians want to be re-elected. Nahhh, it must be a conspiracy to keep black people in the ghetto, yeah, that makes more sense.