Options

pipe bomb explodes at military race in new jersey and now a bomb explodes in nyc

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It would be nice if we could all just wait and see what an investigation yields.

At the risk of being wrong, it's a pretty safe assumption these days.
    Oh? How do you figure? Not looking to minimize terrorist attacks or anything, but I am always interested in the real risk vs the assumed risk....
    Do you think it's probably some other group/individual? Why don't you throw a reasonable alternative so that people making assumptions should pause before they do?
    I have no idea. TBH, when I first read about the explosion my first thought was "jilted lover" because I have seen stories about this being a somewhat common thing, where some nut job whose girlfriend or wife kicked him out tries to burn down their apartment building, and I know this because that exact thing happened in an apartment building where I lived back in the 90s.
    But after reading about another reason bomb... I still have no idea. I think domestic terrorism is just as likely. I have to honestly say that while of course it's one of the main options, and perhaps what's happened in NYC, my mind doesn't just automatically jump to Islamic terrorism when these kinds of events occur, as though that is by far the most likely culprit.
    jilted lover using pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs? I've never heard of that happening before.
    I didn't say that's ever happened, and didn't suggest that might be the case here.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It would be nice if we could all just wait and see what an investigation yields.

Oh? How do you figure? Not looking to minimize terrorist attacks or anything, but I am always interested in the real risk vs the assumed risk....
    Do you think it's probably some other group/individual? Why don't you throw a reasonable alternative so that people making assumptions should pause before they do?
    I have no idea. TBH, when I first read about the explosion my first thought was "jilted lover" because I have seen stories about this being a somewhat common thing, where some nut job whose girlfriend or wife kicked him out tries to burn down their apartment building, and I know this because that exact thing happened in an apartment building where I lived back in the 90s.
    But after reading about another reason bomb... I still have no idea. I think domestic terrorism is just as likely. I have to honestly say that while of course it's one of the main options, and perhaps what's happened in NYC, my mind doesn't just automatically jump to Islamic terrorism when these kinds of events occur, as though that is by far the most likely culprit.
    jilted lover using pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs? I've never heard of that happening before.
    I didn't say that's ever happened, and didn't suggest that might be the case here.
    Well come on, man.

You're confusing scruffy and I. With scruffy... that's not hard to do, but when you factor in genius here... you might want to think about what you said.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsung said:

Just as long as you guys agree to do that at the next shooting and don't immediately call for ar15 bans.

That has nothing to do with waiting g for an investigation.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
  • Options
    Meanwhile, sources said investigators were “vetting” an online Tumblr page on which someone claiming to be “the NY Bomber” took responsibility for the blast and said the motive was a response to anti-gay “violence and oppression.”

“I did it because I cannot stand society. I cannot live in a world where homosexuals like myself as well as the rest of the LGBTQ+ community are looked down upon by society,” one post says.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

Meanwhile, sources said investigators were “vetting” an online Tumblr page on which someone claiming to be “the NY Bomber” took responsibility for the blast and said the motive was a response to anti-gay “violence and oppression.”

“I did it because I cannot stand society. I cannot live in a world where homosexuals like myself as well as the rest of the LGBTQ+ community are looked down upon by society,” one post says.
    So they attack a pretty gay area of New York. That doesn't make a ton of sense
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Is that kind of like what happened in Orlando?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913

did you purposely leave out this part of the article?:
    In another new wrinkle, a hand-written letter, a portion of which is in Arabic, was found inside a plastic bag that held the second device, sources said.

Cops were interviewing two men who claim to have spotted a potential person of interest in the case, sources said.

The witnesses were dining at the Krush bar and grill on 32nd Street about a half-hour before the 8:30 p.m. Saturday explosion when they saw an Arab-looking man who was carrying a suitcase and appeared out of place, sources said.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

then what the heck does this mean?
    "I have no idea. TBH, when I first read about the explosion my first thought was "jilted lover" because I have seen stories about this being a somewhat common thing, where some nut job whose girlfriend or wife kicked him out tries to burn down their apartment building, and I know this because that exact thing happened in an apartment building where I lived back in the 90s."
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited September 2016
    hedonist said:

Yeah, I guess you're right. Though that dude seemed to be angry at being gay though
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

In another new wrinkle, a hand-written letter, a portion of which is in Arabic, was found inside a plastic bag that held the second device, sources said.

Cops were interviewing two men who claim to have spotted a potential person of interest in the case, sources said.

The witnesses were dining at the Krush bar and grill on 32nd Street about a half-hour before the 8:30 p.m. Saturday explosion when they saw an Arab-looking man who was carrying a suitcase and appeared out of place, sources said.
    So because he's arab, it's radical islam?
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

So because he's arab, it's radical islam?
    I never said that but to answer your question:
    absolutely not. just another peace loving muslim.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Then you've never truly been in love before. Sorry.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lol. i guess not.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited September 2016
    benjs said:

does anybody here believe it was not radical muslims ?

Godfather.

So it's the act of an Islamic extremist. Then what? It's already been shown that the Islamic extremist actions which have transpired in the States have been from legal immigrants (often second-generation Americans, for that matter). Should they have their citizenship or landed immigrant statuses revoked? That's akin to collective punishment (i.e. the entirety of a group being penalized for the actions of an arguably corrupted <1% of the group), and with extrapolations like that, every single person in the US and Canada (and probably most of the world) should be shot dead for the actions of their peers, governments, and ancestors of both.

Once again, Godfather, you draw the line right at the point where it becomes inconvenient for you, with no respect for humans on the other side of that line and the suffering they will endure as a result of your stance. </p>
    When the second generation can't assimilate there will be problems. Legal or illegal we need to make sure assimilation happens.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lol. i guess not.
    One time after a bad break-up I drove my car into a Wendy's. Love hurts.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    hedonist said:

Hey, whatever happened to his wife?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664

benjs said:

Godfather.

So it's the act of an Islamic extremist. Then what? It's already been shown that the Islamic extremist actions which have transpired in the States have been from legal immigrants (often second-generation Americans, for that matter). Should they have their citizenship or landed immigrant statuses revoked? That's akin to collective punishment (i.e. the entirety of a group being penalized for the actions of an arguably corrupted <1% of the group), and with extrapolations like that, every single person in the US and Canada (and probably most of the world) should be shot dead for the actions of their peers, governments, and ancestors of both.

Once again, Godfather, you draw the line right at the point where it becomes inconvenient for you, with no respect for humans on the other side of that line and the suffering they will endure as a result of your stance. </p>
    When the second generation can't assimilate there will be problems. Legal or illegal we need to make sure assimilation happens.
    What's your definition of assimilation and how would you make sure it happens?
  • Options

benjs said:

Godfather.

Have the means and opportunity to get jobs, treat women with respect, not blow up stuff. The basics.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

benjs said:

Godfather.

Have the means and opportunity to get jobs, treat women with respect, not blow up stuff. The basics.
    That's a good, loose definition of "assimilation". It sure beats the heck out of, "Everybody wear the same clothes, listen to the same music, do the same kinds of things, lose your accent as much as possible", etc.

By your definition, the large majority of everyone living in this country right now have successfully assimilated. Generally only a very small fraction of immigrants have not assimilated according to your definition.

Oh, except the mentally ill and many veterans (so often those two things, understandably, go together), as well as misfits, half you rock and rollers, and the rebelious. Which all adds to a lot of people.

So what to do? I say, find that small percentage of non-assimilated immigrants, all those mentally ill people on the streets, non-assimilated vets, half the rockers, all the misfits and rebels and build a wall around them. Throw in some lions.

No? Then what?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I feel with everyone affected by these horrible terrorist attacks. Seems they have planned these attacks on many different locations.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Hmmm, I wonder if they will ever find out who's setting these off? With all the cameras around I'm thinking it won't be long.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    5 more devices found near a Jersey train platform. One exploded while a robot was trying to disarm it. Must be a lot of pissed off lovers out there.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

Just as long as you guys agree to do that at the next shooting and don't immediately call for ar15 bans.

I waited. 20 year old Somali that asked the victims if they were Muslim prior to stabbing at least one. Shot dead by someone who was concealed carry. Hero. I'll be armed everywhere I go thankyouverymuch.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    persons of interest have been picked up and are being questioned.

Godfather.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

I waited. 20 year old Somali that asked the victims if they were Muslim prior to stabbing at least one. Shot dead by someone who was concealed carry. Hero. I'll be armed everywhere I go thankyouverymuch.
    are you serious that the guy was shot by someone with a concealed carry?
  • Options
    wait, just read that he was an off duty police officer.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lol. i guess not.
    One time after a bad break-up I drove my car into a Wendy's. Love hurts.
    Did you break-up with a redhead or did you just really need a frosty?
  • Options
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/19/nyc-mayor-names-ahmad-khan-rahami-28-of-new-jersey-as-bombing-suspect.html?__source=yahoo|finance|headline|headline|story&amp;par=yahoo&amp;doc=103949963&amp;yptr=yahoo

Officials identify suspect in NY/NJ bombings: 28-year-old Ahmad Khan Rahami

Multiple senior law enforcement officials and a New York Police Department spokesperson told NBC News on Monday that they looking for Ahmad Khan Rahami, a 28 year old male from Elizabeth, N.J., for his suspected role in the bombings that have occurred over the last three days in New York and New Jersey.

Sources told NBC News that Rahami is the man seen on the video on 23rd street and 27th Street in Manhattan.

Rahami is a naturalized citizen from Afghanistan.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says he could be armed and dangerous.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

Ok, I thought this was a thread about the explosions in new York. If you need to bring up the stabbings in minnesota, that's fine, just has no relevance here. And it wasn't just a plain citizen with a concealed weapons permit. It was an off duty police officer. Makes a difference. Because my point about all of you CWP people is that when shit hits the fan, most of you would run and hide, not point and shoot.