Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree the message is being lost, but because of fucking Trump and his minions. However, there are plenty of people steering folks back to the original message, so I think it's all good. Plus, I think the conversation about what nationalism and patriotism really is all about is also an important subject that is now being widely debated in America. Nothing wrong with that either. (and I understand what you're saying, but I obviously just do not think there is a disconnect at all with the CFL thing - I think it makes perfect sense).
    I'm not sure what you mean by one-sided coverage. I mean... I think it's pretty obvious to the majority of people who is on the right side of history in this debate. I don't feel bad for those who are on the wrong side. I'm just glad it's a minority. I'm sure if you look for media coverage that is against this and totally outraged by the so-called disrespect this righteous protest displays, I'm sure it would only take a very quick google search. Or just check out Trump's twitter feed.
    Are  you sure about that?  I think most people stand behind President Trump.  It'll be interesting to see his popularity level in a few weeks...I would not be surprised if it's north of 50%.  This issue is all emotion for most people.  Those old enough might remember George Bush the First's "Family Values" speech.  It was every bit as out of the element of his job as this is to Trump's.  But Americans ate it up...for a little while anyway.
    "Most people" have not stood behind President Trump at any time on any issue. Not on election day and not today.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246
    All the kneeling in the world isn't going to make an immediate change, but it raises awareness. If someone kneels once to show they support it, do they need to keep kneeling until some goal is achieved or is doing it once enough to make the point that they support it now and moving forward even if they don't make the overt action again? I think this is where a lot of people are getting hung up. Just because no one kneeled before this and may never kneel again, doesn't mean they aren't fighting for equality in other ways.

I do also think that dots are being connected that don't exist; i.e. the SOB comment. I just viewed it as what it was, an inappropriate, stupid and poorly stated opinion on the matter. Making it in to a racist statement is stretching it, but is being done because of everything in his past repertoire of commentary.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree the message is being lost, but because of fucking Trump and his minions. However, there are plenty of people steering folks back to the original message, so I think it's all good. Plus, I think the conversation about what nationalism and patriotism really is all about is also an important subject that is now being widely debated in America. Nothing wrong with that either. (and I understand what you're saying, but I obviously just do not think there is a disconnect at all with the CFL thing - I think it makes perfect sense).
    I'm not sure what you mean by one-sided coverage. I mean... I think it's pretty obvious to the majority of people who is on the right side of history in this debate. I don't feel bad for those who are on the wrong side. I'm just glad it's a minority. I'm sure if you look for media coverage that is against this and totally outraged by the so-called disrespect this righteous protest, I'm sure it would only take a very quick google search. Or just check out Trump's twitter feed.
    I need to sign off for awhile, but I just want to mention that what I've bolded is a potentially dangerous way to think, in my opinion, because it implies a certain dismissiveness to the other side of the discussion.  For me it's along the lines of the mentality that it's ok to punch a Nazi.  It starts us all down a slippery slope.

Part of why I jumped in here is to try and gain better understanding of what's going on here, even knowing I fall in the minority on this specific forum and likely won't agree with the majority opinion.  I think I do understand a bit better (thanks to everyone for your insights), even if my song remains the same, so to speak, lol.
    It's a slippery slope to say people take the wrong side on issues? No. There's a zillion issues that people are wrong on, and the people on the other side are right. People might feel dismissed when they find themselves on the wrong side, but oh well. Finding common ground doesn't mean you can't say one side is right. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited September 2017
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure what you mean by one-sided coverage. I mean... I think it's pretty obvious to the majority of people who is on the right side of history in this debate. I don't feel bad for those who are on the wrong side. I'm just glad it's a minority. I'm sure if you look for media coverage that is against this and totally outraged by the so-called disrespect this righteous protest displays, I'm sure it would only take a very quick google search. Or just check out Trump's twitter feed.
    Are  you sure about that?  I think most people stand behind President Trump.  It'll be interesting to see his popularity level in a few weeks...I would not be surprised if it's north of 50%.  This issue is all emotion for most people.  Those old enough might remember George Bush the First's "Family Values" speech.  It was every bit as out of the element of his job as this is to Trump's.  But Americans ate it up...for a little while anyway.
    Huh? You think most people stand behind President Trump? Okie dokie, lol. I see no point in even bothering to debate a fabrication of that magnitude. You may as well have just argued that grass is made of concrete.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,928
    I'm kinda curious if any people in the stands are kneeling (or sitting) or anything?

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Huh? You think most people stand behind President Trump? Okie dokie, lol. I see no point in even bothering to debate a fabrication of that magnitude. You may as well have just argued that grass is made of concrete.
    I haven't heard or seen anything to contradict the above statement.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I haven't heard or seen anything to contradict the above statement.
    Pardon? 33% approval ratings don't mean anything? Or a minority of votes for him in the election? Or the insane differences in turn out for pro-Trump events vs anti-Trump events?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    As a person who thinks football is silly, and doesn’t like president trump, I think kneeling during the anthem is gross. It seems like trump baited football players, and now they all look like disrespectful ass hats. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,554
    This is all rooted in the NFL not allowing him to be an owner.
    Just more immature jealous narcissism at work
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    As a person who thinks football is silly, and doesn’t like president trump, I think kneeling during the anthem is gross. It seems like trump baited football players, and now they all look like disrespectful ass hats. 
    I found it silly that the president spent the better part of 3 days tweeting, speaking and publicly addressing players kneeling during the anthem, but has yet to make one remark about the importance of ending racism, injustice and inequality in this country.

Trump's rallying cry:

Honor the flag!
    Fuck the people!
    Stand and hail!
    Minorities in jail!
    Patriots, freedom fighters!
    SOB's, incitors!

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm kinda curious if any people in the stands are kneeling (or sitting) or anything?

They are cursing at the beer vendor to pour that $11 Miller Light because kick off is in three minutes (I'm guilty .. it's like the concessions don't want to make money)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:
    I found it silly that the president spent the better part of 3 days tweeting, speaking and publicly addressing players kneeling during the anthem, but has yet to make one remark about the importance of ending racism, injustice and inequality in this country.

Trump's rallying cry:

Honor the flag!
    Fuck the people!
    Stand and hail!
    Minorities in jail!
    Patriots, freedom fighters!
    SOB's, incitors!

Or focus on Puerto Rico, Houston, etc.

More than anything, he just wast golf and fart.  Oh, I mean golf cart.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    I wondered about that because I couldn't recall if he'd ever been involved. I found this link; if you have a better one, please share.
    http://www.newsweek.com/trumps-nfl-fight-dates-back-failed-usfl-experiment-80s-jeff-pearlman-670843

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    The message has been lost.  Look at that smug a-hole ...

• Options
    Kat said:
    I wondered about that because I couldn't recall if he'd ever been involved. I found this link; if you have a better one, please share.
    http://www.newsweek.com/trumps-nfl-fight-dates-back-failed-usfl-experiment-80s-jeff-pearlman-670843

There is a great article about one of the owners threatening to punch him in the mouth.  It's hysterical.

The NFL owners never wanted them in their club.

They did the same thing to Limbaugh.  They wanted him no where near an NFL team.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Kat said:

There is a great article about one of the owners threatening to punch him in the mouth.  It's hysterical.

The NFL owners never wanted them in their club.

They did the same thing to Limbaugh.  They wanted him no where near an NFL team.

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Here is an article about the "taking of the knee" and also one of why the protest was created, and an opinion piece of what happened during last weekend's football games:

https://undertheradar.military.com/2016/09/kaepernick-meets-veteran-nate-boyer-kneels-anthem/

"Boyer wrote an opinion piece for Military Times this week where he talked about his conflicting emotions when he saw Kaepernick’s protest at lats week’s game. He met Kaepernick and 49ers safety Eric Reid in San Diego and the three men talked for 90 minutes before the game.

When the anthem played before the game, the two players took a knee instead of sitting."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/colin-kaepernick-football-protests.html

"In early 2016, I began paying attention to reports about the incredible number of unarmed black people being killed by the police. The posts on social media deeply disturbed me, but one in particular brought me to tears: the killing of Alton Sterling in my hometown Baton Rouge, La. This could have happened to any of my family members who still live in the area. I felt furious, hurt and hopeless. I wanted to do something, but didn’t know what or how to do it. All I knew for sure is that I wanted it to be as respectful as possible."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/opinion/nfl-football-kaepernick-take-knee.html

"
    Such a situation could well incite a fury of anger and frustration. Yet with the act of kneeling, these rare, gifted, often doomed human beings are shrouding their protest in a kind of self-abasement; a display of vulnerability and piety in the face of iron injustice. It is a humility couched in a majesty of pride, dignity, strength and unusual accomplishment. Kneeling in protest is out of the playbook of Dr. King, not Malcolm X."

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Interesting - I've never heard about the USFL at all and had no idea Trump had sued the NFL.
  • Options

All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protests Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable-JFK

4:54 AM - 25 Sep 2017
    This was Dale Earnhardt Jr's tweet a few days ago.  If you aren't familiar with whom he is, he has been NASCARs most popular driver for like 10 years in a row.  The man is HUGE in the sport.  For him to do this is amazing.

I didn't see anyone mention this.
  • Options

Sorry I don't know how to share a damn tweet...
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    A petition has passed 25,000 signatures to remove the Ray Lewis statue because of his decision to kneel on both knees was to "simply honor God in the midst of chaos."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/petition-remove-ray-lewis-statue-035824479.html

This is what it finally took for motivation to get a Stabby's statue removed???  America has turned into the movie P.C.U. before my very eyes.

(Note: Petitions don't really mean anything anymore when you can press a button on your phone.  If you had to get off your butt and drive to your local supermarket to sign it they would have roughly 83 signatures)
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Jason P said:
    A petition has passed 25,000 signatures to remove the Ray Lewis statue because of his decision to kneel on both knees was to "simply honor God in the midst of chaos."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/petition-remove-ray-lewis-statue-035824479.html

This is what it finally took for motivation to get a Stabby's statue removed???  America has turned into the movie P.C.U. before my very eyes.

(Note: Petitions don't really mean anything anymore when you can press a button on your phone.  If you had to get off your butt and drive to your local supermarket to sign it they would have roughly 83 signatures)
    Crazy.  Not because he was accused or murder or plead guilty to obstruction... but because he fuckin' knelt.
  • Options
    Outrageous. Honestly sometimes feels like Idiocracy has already arrived.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    Jason P said:

Crazy.  Not because he was accused or murder or plead guilty to obstruction... but because he fuckin' knelt.
    In the US:

patriotism > life 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jason P said:

Actually there are a lot of people that don't like how that case went down.  People think it was very shady and Lewis did do it.  Read up on the case, it'll make you think.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    Jason P said:

In the US:

patriotism > life 
    I think that was confirmed by the relative quiet of employment of people like Joe Mixon and the unemployment of Kaepernick.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Actually there are a lot of people that don't like how that case went down.  People think it was very shady and Lewis did do it.  Read up on the case, it'll make you think.
    Yeah, but I think the point is that it didn't inspire enough ire for them to fight for his statue to come down. Only the kneeling could get people's blood pumping that much.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, but I think the point is that it didn't inspire enough ire for them to fight for his statue to come down. Only the kneeling could get people's blood pumping that much.
    Ahhh, I didn't see it from that angle.