Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    OnWis97 said:
    Jason P said:
    A petition has passed 25,000 signatures to remove the Ray Lewis statue because of his decision to kneel on both knees was to "simply honor God in the midst of chaos."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/petition-remove-ray-lewis-statue-035824479.html

This is what it finally took for motivation to get a Stabby's statue removed???  America has turned into the movie P.C.U. before my very eyes.

(Note: Petitions don't really mean anything anymore when you can press a button on your phone.  If you had to get off your butt and drive to your local supermarket to sign it they would have roughly 83 signatures)
    Crazy.  Not because he was accused or murder or plead guilty to obstruction... but because he fuckin' knelt.
    In the US:

patriotism > life 
    I think that was confirmed by the relative quiet of employment of people like Joe Mixon and the unemployment of Kaepernick.  
    wrong....joe mixon would have been drafted in the top 10 if he wasn't such a bad guy. he is employed because he has a lot of talent. kaep not nearly as much.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    I'm kinda curious if any people in the stands are kneeling (or sitting) or anything?

Aaron Rodgers is asking Packers fans this sunday to link arms before the Bears game.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20829185/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-wants-their-fans-link-arms-anthem

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2017
    The Packers and Bears play tonight! Yay..
    Insert the word (politics) in place of the word football.  And that's where we are.
    https://youtu.be/K8LLKO0-PAE
    Are you ready for some politics?  A Thursday night political party!!  All my rowdy friends are coming over tonight... to watch some Thursday night politics....
    So Aaron Rodgers called on all the fans at Lambeau Field tonight to lock arms during the anthom to show unity.  That's great.  In anticipation of mixed reaction to all of this, Lambeau Field officials have decided to add extra security for tonight's game.  Good grief!!
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    RYME said:
    The Packers and Bears play tonight! Yay..
    Insert the word (politics) in place of the word football.  And that's where we are.
    https://youtu.be/K8LLKO0-PAE
    Are you ready for some politics?  A Thursday night political party!!  All my rowdy friends are coming over tonight... to watch some Thursday night politics....
    So Aaron Rodgers called on all the fans at Lambeau Field tonight to lock arms during the anthom to show unity.  That's great.  In anticipation of mixed reaction to all of this, Lambeau Field officials have decided to add extra security for tonight's game.  Good grief!!
    You're surprised at the insertion of politics in sports? I'm not sure why. The two have been intertwined for as long as organized sports have existed. And if politics are going to be discussed, all the better that it is an issue of justice that's at the forefront. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

except Kaep and the like aren't protesting shootings in Chicago...unless it's done by a policeman.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

except Kaep and the like aren't protesting shootings in Chicago...unless it's done by a policeman.
    “I am planning to take it a step further, I'm currently working with organizations to be involved, and making sure I'm actively in these communities, as well as donating the first million dollars I make this year to different organizations to help these communities and help these people.

"I’ve been very blessed to be in this position and make the kind of money I do, and I have to help these people,” he said. “I have to help these communities. It’s not right that they’re not put in the position to succeed, or given the opportunities to succeed.”

On Sept. 7, which marked the first day of the 2017 NFL season, the free-agent quarterback announced his latest round of $100,000 donations, giving $25,000 each to four charities – DREAM, which provides after-school programs and youth sports opportunities to New York’s inner-city youth; Coalition for the Homeless; The Gathering for Justice’s War on Children, a new program that will launch in 2018 to continue the fight against child incarceration; and United We Dream, which addresses the inequities and obstacles faced by immigrant youth.

Kaepernick followed this up three days later with a Back to School Backpack Giveaway at the Lower Eastside Girls Club of New York, which connects girls and young women to entrepreneurship opportunities, healthy meals and STEM workshops. 

Last year, while a member of the San Francisco 49ers, Kaepernick vowed to donate a total of one million dollars to organizations working in oppressed communities. To date, he has contributed $900,000 toward that goal, benefiting the likes of 100 Suits for 100 Men, Meals on Wheels and Home 2 Heart.

but hey, don't let facts get in the way a good racially charged narrative!

you do you

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,648
    pjhawks said:

But you know how it goes, when you don't want to talk about racism dispensed from a government agency, you talk about black in black crime and the "inner city". 
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited September 2017
    I think that it would be apropos for the NFL to hire Roseanne Barr to perform tonight's anthem.  I think that it would be great if they could get her to do this again.

https://youtu.be/ru2BYd3c90w
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:

“I am planning to take it a step further, I'm currently working with organizations to be involved, and making sure I'm actively in these communities, as well as donating the first million dollars I make this year to different organizations to help these communities and help these people.

"I’ve been very blessed to be in this position and make the kind of money I do, and I have to help these people,” he said. “I have to help these communities. It’s not right that they’re not put in the position to succeed, or given the opportunities to succeed.”

On Sept. 7, which marked the first day of the 2017 NFL season, the free-agent quarterback announced his latest round of $100,000 donations, giving $25,000 each to four charities – DREAM, which provides after-school programs and youth sports opportunities to New York’s inner-city youth; Coalition for the Homeless; The Gathering for Justice’s War on Children, a new program that will launch in 2018 to continue the fight against child incarceration; and United We Dream, which addresses the inequities and obstacles faced by immigrant youth.

Kaepernick followed this up three days later with a Back to School Backpack Giveaway at the Lower Eastside Girls Club of New York, which connects girls and young women to entrepreneurship opportunities, healthy meals and STEM workshops. 

Last year, while a member of the San Francisco 49ers, Kaepernick vowed to donate a total of one million dollars to organizations working in oppressed communities. To date, he has contributed $900,000 toward that goal, benefiting the likes of 100 Suits for 100 Men, Meals on Wheels and Home 2 Heart.

you do you

what part of what i wrote was incorrect?  the caption on that picture makes no sense because Kaepernick's original protest had nothing to do with killings in chicago. 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    pjhawks said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:

you do you

what part of what i wrote was incorrect?  the caption on that picture makes no sense because Kaepernick's original protest had nothing to do with killings in chicago. 
    eyeroll. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    CM189191 said:
    pjhawks said:

you do you

eyeroll. 
    right back at ya
  • Options
    so tell me, what is the equivalence drawn between these two things:

-criminals committing crime
    -white people in a position of power who are tasked with the protection of all people shooting and killing a portion of that group because of their skin colour. 

please tell me how those are the same and why Kap should be protesting the former. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

-white people in a position of power who are tasked with the protection of all people shooting and killing a portion of that group because of their skin colour. 

please tell me how those are the same and why Kap should be protesting the former. 
    my original comment had to do with the picture and the caption. i was pointing out that the caption that the guy Erick wrote on it has nothing to do with what Kaepernick was protesting. he wasn't protesting against against that but apparently multiple people here missed that and were quick to attack me instead. thus my eye roll right back at ya.

• Options
    pjhawks said:

my original comment had to do with the picture and the caption. i was pointing out that the caption that the guy Erick wrote on it has nothing to do with what Kaepernick was protesting. he wasn't protesting against against that but apparently multiple people here missed that and were quick to attack me instead. thus my eye roll right back at ya.

I can't see pictures at work. I took your comment at face value. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:

I can't see pictures at work. I took your comment at face value. 
    ah ok the original think i responded to was someone posted a twitter exchange where someone posted a picture of Kaepernick with a caption "taking a knee didn't stop a shooting in chicago or raise anyone out of poverty".  There was then a response that said "and wearing pink doesn't stop breast cancer.  we do it to raise awareness'.  

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    Saying sport is about politics is like saying a record is about the dead wax.  Yeah, there's a little of it in there, but that's not what most people are there to listen to or watch.

That said, there's a quote somewhere about baseball being the most democratic sport.  I couldn't find it, but I know I heard it somewhere.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    "Here's the snap.  Hoyer goes back to pass... he's looks downfield, moves quickly to his right... he sees, Kerley... here's the pass... it's a looong bomb... Kerely reaches out... he's got his hands on it...  BUT OH NOOOO!!  IT'S A FILIBUSTER!!  Hoyer throws his helmet down and the crowd kneels with tremendous jeering and booing.  Oh what a horrible play!!"

Yep, politics in sports.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2017

I’m not so sure it relates to “white people in power” at all.  I’ll try to find the link, but it seems like I remember that black police officers kill a large number of black people as well.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    "Personally, I find it a little peculiar that we have to play the national anthem before any sporting event. All it really shows is how insecure we are as a nation that we have to display our love of country in this obsessive manner. Same with congressmen and their stupid flag lapel pins, or the flag in front of Denny’s chain restaurants. Are eaters of the “lumberjack slam” so disoriented when they leave the place that they need to be reminded what country they’re in? “Oh, look hon, were in the USA after all….”

-James Howard Kunstler

:lol:

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm just waiting for Unsung to drop the photoshopped Seahawks pic in here lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    rgambs said:
    I'm just waiting for Unsung to drop the photoshopped Seahawks pic in here lol
    :lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I was out for lunch with a buddy, and golf was on the big screen. I asked him "do the play the national anthem at the first hole in golf? is Tiger Woods kneeling? nope. why in some sports and not all? right, because they know they aren't recruiting golf fans to the military with false patriotism. wrong demographic". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I was out for lunch with a buddy, and golf was on the big screen. I asked him "do the play the national anthem at the first hole in golf? is Tiger Woods kneeling? nope. why in some sports and not all? right, because they know they aren't recruiting golf fans to the military with false patriotism. wrong demographic". 
    aren't you Canadian?  is it false patriotism when the Canadian teams do it?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The National Anthem being played at sporting events actually has to do with WW1 and started in baseball.  Other sports adopted the practice later on.  Appears that its initial singing at the baseball game did have to do with honoring the soldiers at that time and the tradition carried on to play it as a way to recognize military personnel.  Interesting stuff. 
    http://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events?cmpid=FACEBOOK_FBPAGE__20170925&linkId=42730982
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    aren't you Canadian?  is it false patriotism when the Canadian teams do it?
    yes it is. I think it's stupid no matter where you live. unfortunately, many people in canada think the way to move culturally is to mimic whatever the US does. I'd like canada to stop acting like America's little brother and get our own identity. 

the CFL has adopted military appreciation day, and we have jet flyovers after the anthem; it's ridiculousness. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    The National Anthem being played at sporting events actually has to do with WW1 and started in baseball.  Other sports adopted the practice later on.  Appears that its initial singing at the baseball game did have to do with honoring the soldiers at that time.  Interesting stuff. 
    http://www.history.com/news/why-the-star-spangled-banner-is-played-at-sporting-events?cmpid=FACEBOOK_FBPAGE__20170925&linkId=42730982

It wasn’t typical for NFL players to stand for the national anthem until 2009—before then, it was customary for players to stay in the locker room as the anthem played. A 2015 congressional report revealed that the Department of Defense had paid $5.4 million to NFL teams between 2011 and 2014 to stage on-field patriotic ceremonies; the National Guard shelled out $6.7 million for similar displays between 2013 and 2015.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    The National Anthem being played at sporting events actually has to do with WW1 and started in baseball.  Other sports adopted the practice later on.  Appears that its initial singing at the baseball game did have to do with honoring the soldiers at that time.  Interesting stuff. 

It wasn’t typical for NFL players to stand for the national anthem until 2009—before then, it was customary for players to stay in the locker room as the anthem played. A 2015 congressional report revealed that the Department of Defense had paid $5.4 million to NFL teams between 2011 and 2014 to stage on-field patriotic ceremonies; the National Guard shelled out $6.7 million for similar displays between 2013 and 2015.
    So it went from something awesome to something shitty, which can be said for the NFL in general...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    The National Anthem being played at sporting events actually has to do with WW1 and started in baseball.  Other sports adopted the practice later on.  Appears that its initial singing at the baseball game did have to do with honoring the soldiers at that time and the tradition carried on to play it as a way to recognize military personnel.  Interesting stuff. 
    I know the history of it. And I still think it's dumb. it's a recruitment tool. nothing more. what in the fuck does a national anthem have to do with playing a game? ZERO. absolutely ZERO. it may have made some sense in times of global conflict like back then, but the tradition doesn't hold up today. 

but again, I think patriotism is nothing more than a manufactured emotional response to get out of people to get them to adopt a country's foreign policy and feel as if it is their "duty" to protect their country's well being, when it is nothing more than a way to control people and keep them geographically obedient. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com