Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Trump supporters will find a way to make what SS says there a positive statement.  (Which is truly delusional.)

That is the smartest rant I can recall seeing him go on. 

However...is he disappointed in Ray Lewis for not speaking about what took place in the limo at the SB years ago?  Did it take Ray Lewis changing his mind about kneeling for the national anthem to make Shannon disappointed?

Just wondering....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    The very idea disturbs some folks so much they're willing to cut down 8 year olds who do it. And by "some folks", I mean Fox News.

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/21/fox-news-attacks-8-year-old-kids-for-kneeling-during-anthem/

"They're following the lead of their parents, and this is a very political statement that they have no idea what they're doing," she said of the players who are, again, children.

Ironic since the whole nation begins the indoctrination very early with the Pledge of Allegiance, Anthems, America is the best almost from birth.

Pledge of allegiance is really weird to me.  Why is a 5 year old 'pledging allegiance' to anything besides recess?  It will always be super creepy to me.

Agreed. It's indoctrination, pure and simple. I think it's sick that kids are still made to do the pledge of allegiance, and even sicker that they even have to do it "under God". The kids have no idea what the meaning behind what they're saying is at a young age. Brainwashing.... and that is 100% the point. I personally had to do the Lord's prayer until it was abolished in public school sometime in the mid-80s... and I remember the two Jewish kids in the class having to physically leave the classroom and wait in the hall while the rest of us were forced to recite the fucking thing. And then the Jews were invited back into the classroom as we were all forced to sing the Canadian anthem as well (which also references God, which I don't support - I think the anthem needs to be changed to get rid of that reference... most don't agree of course). It was unbelievable, in retrospect.
    I've mentioned this before I think....there was a girl in my sister's class, can't remember her religion, jehova's maybe? she also had to wait in the hall. it fucking ostracized her socially. my grade 6 teacher used to read bible verses every fucking morning. I hated it. I knew even then that it was wrong to mix school and religion. 

same thing, as you said, goes for this "pledge" nonsense. it's nazi germany shit. but it's deemed ok because we're not extremists. 

god should be removed from all government documents and traditions. separation of church and state. 
    We are not forced to say the pledge. At least, I wasn't.

We learn it, just as we learn a lot of other bullshit that we do not use or do. But we are not forced to say it. 

I stopped saying it in third grade but still stood with my hand over my heart because I was small and shy at that time, and I cared about how other people would react. I stopped standing for it when I was in fourth grade. I was still small and shy, but I stopped giving a fuck about how other people would react.

Anyway, I think the schools are required to do it but not the students. I could be wrong. Maybe it's a state thing.
    Wow, we can trace it all of the way back to then?!  :lol:

I'd like to think I stopped caring in Jr High, but that would be untrue.  I mostly stopped caring about when I was 15...but there are still people to this day that I want to think well of me.  This doesn't guide my actions, necessarily, just being honest.

(And I believe you speak your mind freely, DK...not questioning that.)

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2017
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    The very idea disturbs some folks so much they're willing to cut down 8 year olds who do it. And by "some folks", I mean Fox News.

http://www.salon.com/2017/09/21/fox-news-attacks-8-year-old-kids-for-kneeling-during-anthem/

"They're following the lead of their parents, and this is a very political statement that they have no idea what they're doing," she said of the players who are, again, children.

Ironic since the whole nation begins the indoctrination very early with the Pledge of Allegiance, Anthems, America is the best almost from birth.

Pledge of allegiance is really weird to me.  Why is a 5 year old 'pledging allegiance' to anything besides recess?  It will always be super creepy to me.

Agreed. It's indoctrination, pure and simple. I think it's sick that kids are still made to do the pledge of allegiance, and even sicker that they even have to do it "under God". The kids have no idea what the meaning behind what they're saying is at a young age. Brainwashing.... and that is 100% the point. I personally had to do the Lord's prayer until it was abolished in public school sometime in the mid-80s... and I remember the two Jewish kids in the class having to physically leave the classroom and wait in the hall while the rest of us were forced to recite the fucking thing. And then the Jews were invited back into the classroom as we were all forced to sing the Canadian anthem as well (which also references God, which I don't support - I think the anthem needs to be changed to get rid of that reference... most don't agree of course). It was unbelievable, in retrospect.
    I've mentioned this before I think....there was a girl in my sister's class, can't remember her religion, jehova's maybe? she also had to wait in the hall. it fucking ostracized her socially. my grade 6 teacher used to read bible verses every fucking morning. I hated it. I knew even then that it was wrong to mix school and religion. 

same thing, as you said, goes for this "pledge" nonsense. it's nazi germany shit. but it's deemed ok because we're not extremists. 

god should be removed from all government documents and traditions. separation of church and state. 

We learn it, just as we learn a lot of other bullshit that we do not use or do. But we are not forced to say it. 

I stopped saying it in third grade but still stood with my hand over my heart because I was small and shy at that time, and I cared about how other people would react. I stopped standing for it when I was in fourth grade. I was still small and shy, but I stopped giving a fuck about how other people would react.

Anyway, I think the schools are required to do it but not the students. I could be wrong. Maybe it's a state thing.

I'd like to think I stopped caring in Jr High, but that would be untrue.  I mostly stopped caring about when I was 15...but there are still people to this day that I want to think well of me.  This doesn't guide my actions, necessarily, just being honest.

I may have cared a little about what Ms. Montone thought about me. Holy balls! She was hot!

So I may have stopped standing for other reasons. I may have just needed to sit with a pile of textbooks in my lap while I thought about baseball. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:

I may have cared a little about what Ms. Montone thought about me. Holy balls! She was hot!

So I may have stopped standing for other reasons. I may have just needed to sit with a pile of textbooks in my lap and while I thought about baseball. 
    I remember when she sang the anthem...lol

• Options
    Oh you said Montone, not Monotone
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    Oh you said Montone, not Monotone
    You just destroyed his adolescent fantasies.  
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Trump supporters will find a way to make what SS says there a positive statement.  (Which is truly delusional.)

However...is he disappointed in Ray Lewis for not speaking about what took place in the limo at the SB years ago?  Did it take Ray Lewis changing his mind about kneeling for the national anthem to make Shannon disappointed?

Just wondering....
    Exactly.  The same style of argument could be said right back to Shannon Sharpe.  It didn't take allegations of murder for him to be disappointed in Ray.  It didn't take pleading guilty to obstruction of justice for him to be disappointed in Ray.  No, it took Ray Lewis changing his mind about taking a knee, then taking said knee.  So what is Shannon Sharpe really disappointed in?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635
    If a standing protest brings attention to the take a knee protest, by all means, stand. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    I try not to listen to anything Bob Costas says...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    dignin said:
    Well what he had to say here was apt - not sure why you wouldn't want to listen to it. He missed one point though - the REASON it's only about the military in sports. That is 100% on purpose to brainwash the masses into a certain kind of nationalism that specifically serves the military because it makes people support it even when it's doing the wrong thing. The military spends a shitload of money to make it happen.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    Well what he had to say here was apt - not sure why you wouldn't want to listen to it. He missed one point though - the REASON it's only about the military in sports. That is 100% on purpose to brainwash the masses into a certain kind of nationalism that specifically serves the military because it makes people support it even when it's doing the wrong thing. The military spends a shitload of money to make it happen.
    I did listen and it was very well thought out.

The reason I try not to listen to Costas is because he annoys me, lol.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    I did listen and it was very well thought out.

The reason I try not to listen to Costas is because he annoys me, lol.
    He's gotten better over the years. McCarver and Joe Buck always annoyed me the most. So fucking arrogant and snide all the time. Joe dishonored his dad in every way possible.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544

Just wondering....
    Exactly.  The same style of argument could be said right back to Shannon Sharpe.  It didn't take allegations of murder for him to be disappointed in Ray.  It didn't take pleading guilty to obstruction of justice for him to be disappointed in Ray.  No, it took Ray Lewis changing his mind about taking a knee, then taking said knee.  So what is Shannon Sharpe really disappointed in?
    I figure that all depends on whether or not he believed the charges. He may know something we don't and has reason to think Lewis is innocent (even if he plead guilty to obstruction). Kinda like Eddie's friendship with Townsend, who some think is a pedophile, or his friendship with Sean Penn, who some think is a wife beater. Sure, if those things are true and Eddie knew it, then he'd be a huge hypocrite. But if Eddie knows something we don't and for wherever reason truly believes that neither of them did anything wrong, then he's not a hypocrite. Some goes for Sharpe and his attitude about Ray.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Just to make sure I'm clear...it's the players that are "being political?"

http://deadspin.com/these-teams-earned-the-most-from-the-militarys-paid-pa-1740567338

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Private emails anyone ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Private emails anyone ..
    no shit. what a joke. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    OnWis97 said:

http://deadspin.com/these-teams-earned-the-most-from-the-militarys-paid-pa-1740567338

I've said this for years.  The NFL is a giant paid infomercial for the military.  Got to spend that 1 billion dollar marketing budget.

It is nice to see some light shed on the subject with articles like these and Costas above.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    it's interesting how the CFL has followed this lead in recent years. the whole "sports and military" thing has never made any fucking sense to me. it's like nuts and gum. obviously it's a marketing ploy paid for by the military to get football fans to enroll, as they know kids watch and are very impressionable. 

you don't see fucking jets doing flyovers at the ballet. what's the difference?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Smellyman said:
    OnWis97 said:

I've said this for years.  The NFL is a giant paid infomercial for the military.  Got to spend that 1 billion dollar marketing budget.

It is nice to see some light shed on the subject with articles like these and Costas above.
    Disappointed to see my MN Wild in that group near the top. 30 years ago as a young kid I don't remember seeing any military ads or the big pomp and circumstance before games. Someone sang the anthem and that was it. There was no fly over, no honorary service member in attendance or reunited couple. Now they shove it at you every game. My wife is always like, what about the teachers, counselors, etc.
  • Options
    And over in the negaverse is this stupid shit. I can't even, I mean, good god.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/09/25/dinesh-dsousza-colin-kaepernicks-big-lie.html
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    It's very easy to fool the ignorant.  Fox feeds their stupidity and they lap it up.

This is how dumb they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6GDWSmrdw

• Options

'VOICE' STAR MEGHAN LINSEY DEFENDS HER NATIONAL ANTHEM KNEE DESPITE BACKLASH FROM COUNTRY FANS

http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwuLCIkDY

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited September 2017
    "Draft Dodging Donnie"

It's a response so simple its stupid. Fight fire with fire. You get hundreds of players only calling Trump as "Draft Dodging Donnie" and his head will explode in rage.  Hit him right in the gut for trying to defend the flag when records prove he avoided defending the flag.  

I dont have have means of social media to spread this nickname but by god it is so obvious.  Spread the dumb word. 

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    dignin said:
    Maybe check out his book, Fair Ball.  I thought it was really good.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Smellyman said:
    It's very easy to fool the ignorant.  Fox feeds their stupidity and they lap it up.

This is how dumb they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6GDWSmrdw

The easiest people to lie to are the ones who want to be lied to. That is the state of Fox News viewers. They don't want to know details of the world as is. They want to be fed a fictionalized but more comfortable version of the world. One in which they and the Red Team are always, ALWAYS, the good guys. Which means everyone else, anyone who disagrees at all, becomes the bad guy.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."