Options

Third Man Package Arrived!

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246
    Tiki said:

The hole on mine is a little tight but it's fine.

I can't believe how good this sounds....When Pendulum started up it sounded like they were jamming in my living room! So much depth.

Not being a dick just being serious- really? I feel like pendulum on the '13 cd bootlegs sounds way better, almost any show you pick has better ambiance and atmosphere and depth. The vinyl sounds good but does anyone else feel like it's a little overhyped?
    yep
    Mine sounds pretty damn good on my Audio-Technica AP-LP60 record player running through the pre amp of an Onkyo TX-DS494 receiver with Yamaha speakers and subwoofer. Adjusted just right, it's like a studio recording. Can't believe how great the balance and sound is.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628

For those who just want a record and not all the extra crap, anyone know if Third Man Records mentioned releasing this as a single 12" live series album?

Crap, lol?
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628

nuzzer1 said:

Hate to ask this but did anyone else have an issue with their center hole being too tight?

(Cue that's what she said)

Seriously though- damn near had to break the record trying to get it on and off. I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon- never had this happen and have a decent sized collection.

Any tips? Should I contact third man?

Here here.
    I just grabbed the record by the outer edges and moved it back and forth until it came off. It should eventually work itself out so it wont be on too tight in the future. The hole should eventually loosen up......
    that is what she said
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    all of the "places" that the band occupies in the presented stereophonic "space" in this recording are different than any of their other recordings.... it seems a little off to me and my ears.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Tiki said:

all of the "places" that the band occupies in the presented stereophonic "space" in this recording are different than any of their other recordings.... it seems a little off to me and my ears.

Honestly. That's the first thing I've agreed with in terms of your comments on this subject, and it makes me willing to bet you never played in a band. It sounds like a small club/practice space recording. It's an old school feel. For those of us that used to record off the radio, record bands bootlegs played in in the 90s..... It's really a breath of fresh air. Relax. No one is trying to say your Benny is worth anything less
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2016

Wondering if I got a bunk pressing now after reading these consistent good reviews. I played my og no code right after this today and my wife was like "wow that sounds GOOD! Is that the other side of the third man disc?" Something's gotta be wrong. Like I said its really muddy with no clarity. Wonder if I should email tmr now.

Yeah, that's strange. I really love the sound on this record. It is clear with an intimate feeling like you get on some old Blue Note records. The song selection wouldn't be my first picks, but that is what I appreciate about the choices. I will be listening to this a lot for many years to come.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    mcrok said:

nuzzer1 said:

Hate to ask this but did anyone else have an issue with their center hole being too tight?

(Cue that's what she said)

Seriously though- damn near had to break the record trying to get it on and off. I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon- never had this happen and have a decent sized collection.

Any tips? Should I contact third man?

Here here.
    I just grabbed the record by the outer edges and moved it back and forth until it came off. It should eventually work itself out so it wont be on too tight in the future. The hole should eventually loosen up......
    that is what she said
    hahahaha
  • Options
    arrived here in australia today
  • Options
    does anyone have sound quality issues with the 7" vinyl? to me mine sounds wrong and poor quality, not entirely sure if just me or if its recorded that way on purpose (it just sounds cheap and like an really old recording if that makes sense). it doesnt have the same quality as the vault vinyl
  • Options

does anyone have sound quality issues with the 7" vinyl? to me mine sounds wrong and poor quality, not entirely sure if just me or if its recorded that way on purpose (it just sounds cheap and like an really old recording if that makes sense). it doesnt have the same quality as the vault vinyl

It's recorded that way on purpose.
  • Options

cheers for the quick response, wasnt sure hey. thanks for clearing that up for me
  • Options

cheers for the quick response, wasnt sure hey. thanks for clearing that up for me
    No prob. You can research the equipment of the booth to get a better understanding of it.

How'd you like the concert sound?
  • Options
    thought it was great, i probably dont have a great ear for picking up all the minor details but yeah as a whole recording thought it was impressive. ill do what you suggest and research the recording and equipment.

what were your thoughts on the record
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Not a musician. Busted.

All I'm commenting on is what I hear. Small space with a different live sound guy/recording engineer/board operator and a different recording process, presenting unpolished songs that are all over the map in terms of dynamics and sonics. Not bad, just different.

"Shows are tracked and mixed in realtime with no overdubs or editing by Grammy-winning engineer Vance Powell (The White Stripes, Buddy Guy, Chris Thile) through a brand new Rupert Neve Designs 5088 console outfitted with 32 channels of Portico 5032 micpre/EQ, then instantly cut to vinyl by master cutting engineer George Ingram using a meticulously-maintained 1953 Scully lathe, formerly of King Recorders.
    Why a lathe from 1953 with a brand-new console from 2013? According to engineer Vance Powell, “We debated going down the road of ‘old Neve’, but we needed something that we knew we could rely on. The concept of recording live…I need switches to work silently, I need pots to work without making noise.” Also? “It sounds great.”
    "

Without claiming to know HOW it's done, I understand the room makes a difference. Each room has a pretty distinct sonic signature and how you mic that, and set your levels at, and record that, all those things matter. I'm not saying it's bad, (it isn't) it's just different from how PJ records and bootlegs are produced and how they sound (using the same people as recording engineers and the same people on live sound and the same record producers), especially at this point in their careers. They're pretty tight fisted in their presentation, no? Without ever having been to 3rd man, I'd say it's super accurate as to how the room sounded.

I saw the show in Memphis in 2014 at the place where the Grizzlies play. That building is super boomy and echo-y, like on a 1/2 second delay, and so is the bootleg. Many people seemed to think that boot was "off", but it sounded just like what I heard there

http://www.bigknob.net/jack-white-chooses-new-rupert-neve-console-for-third-man-records1.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    ^^^^That's about spot on. It is different in that it's meant to capture what it sounded like that night. Anyone here go to the show and has listened to the recording comment on this?

I used to record live shows and everything makes a difference: your gear selection, placement, venue, indoor/outdoor, wind, etc. But I always wanted to make sure my recordings transported that listener into that room while the band was playing. Otherwise it's just another studio album.

I have to say that this sounds fantastic! Haven't listened to the single but hot damn that show was on fire! So jealous of those that witnessed this live.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Waiting on @MedozK to send in his thoughts. He was there.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

yeah, me too
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    One of my favorite things about collecting the "great sounding" PJ boots in the 90s was how different each one would sound. This is a nice welcome back to that. On some cassettes the bass would be right up front. Others the guitar tones sounded different. Eddie's vocals would be layered over the whole thing.

love this recording.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,074

One of my favorite things about collecting the "great sounding" PJ boots in the 90s was how different each one would sound. This is a nice welcome back to that. On some cassettes the bass would be right up front. Others the guitar tones sounded different. Eddie's vocals would be layered over the whole thing.

love this recording.

This definitely has a "different" sound. And to me its in a really good way. I wasn't at the show but it seems to capture the intimate feel of the room at least what i imagine it feeling/sounding like. Absolutely LOVE this record.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited September 2016

Love the sound of the vinyl. Was there and I think the record is a great representation of the sound. I think you get a particular sound from the Blue Room at TMR. I have seen quite a few show there.... this was by far the best. This took me to a place all the lucky ones were when they were playing small clubs in the early 90s.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,938
    Dont know if it's been mention in this thread yet, but this album is fucking awesome! Of The Earth and Deep are amazing versions. What a package...it really feels like Christmas time.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options

thought it was great, i probably dont have a great ear for picking up all the minor details but yeah as a whole recording thought it was impressive. ill do what you suggest and research the recording and equipment.

what were your thoughts on the record

The Live album had WONDERFUL sounds coming through my speakers. The first thing I noticed was the base and keyboards. On traditional PJ boots these two instruments are muted. On the TMR recording they are front and center which was awesome to hear.

This was definitely one of the better live recordings in years!
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,446
    Any of these land in Canada yet??
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Notta in Canada. Last tracking time shows Aug24. Arrived in destination country. I called FedEx and they said my tracking # doesn't exist.

What crappy service as this is the # I received from thirdman and FedEx's system actually recognizes it.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Red Lukin said:

Notta in Canada. Last tracking time shows Aug24. Arrived in destination country. I called FedEx and they said my tracking # doesn't exist.

What crappy service as this is the # I received from thirdman and FedEx's system actually recognizes it.

Don't blame FedEx as they did their job and got the package to CBSA. Blame CBSA and Canada Post for the delays.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    True, however if the tracking number shows up on their website they shouldn't say it doesn't exist when I called them.

On the bright side I just received this 2 min ago!
  • Options
    Toronto fyi
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    Red Lukin said:

One better than me. Mine still just says "in transit to destination country", which is what it's said the whole time since Aug 24th. So there is actually NO tracking on this order at all. When they used USPS the tracking worked. I hope this switch to FedEx isn't permanent.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 847
    Red Lukin said:

Toronto fyi

good to see it hitting Toronto. Hopefully I get by the end of the week.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Red Lukin said:

True, however if the tracking number shows up on their website they shouldn't say it doesn't exist when I called them.

On the bright side I just received this 2 min ago!

Glad to hear that, I'm just outside of Toronto.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016