Third Man Package Arrived!

Comments

• SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    Yeah my vaults finally shipped out. Scheduled to deliver Tuesday!
  • nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,426
    Hate to ask this but did anyone else have an issue with their center hole being too tight?

(Cue that's what she said)

Seriously though- damn near had to break the record trying to get it on and off. I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon- never had this happen and have a decent sized collection.

Any tips? Should I contact third man?
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    nuzzer1 said:

Hate to ask this but did anyone else have an issue with their center hole being too tight?

Seriously though- damn near had to break the record trying to get it on and off. I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon- never had this happen and have a decent sized collection.

Here here.
    I just grabbed the record by the outer edges and moved it back and forth until it came off. It should eventually work itself out so it wont be on too tight in the future. The hole should eventually loosen up......
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    nuzzer1 said:

I'll insert a biro pen in the hole and gently twirl.

This happens from time to time. No big whoop.

• nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,426
    Hobbes said:

nuzzer1 said:

I'll insert a biro pen in the hole and gently twirl.

This happens from time to time. No big whoop.

Excellent advice - many thanks. Can't believe it's the first time I've had it. Panic set in but- in true appreciation of how f-ing great the record is, I still had to hear the other side and nearly split it in half again.

Thanks both!
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

The hole on mine is a little tight but it's fine.

I can't believe how good this sounds....When Pendulum started up it sounded like they were jamming in my living room! So much depth.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136

I can't believe how good this sounds....When Pendulum started up it sounded like they were jamming in my living room! So much depth.

Not being a dick just being serious- really? I feel like pendulum on the '13 cd bootlegs sounds way better, almost any show you pick has better ambiance and atmosphere and depth. The vinyl sounds good but does anyone else feel like it's a little overhyped?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.

Yup really.
    What I mean is, the way this is recorded has depth. You can hear all the little nuances in Ed's voice, the guitars, etc. Not referring to the version of the song itself.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

Yup really.
    What I mean is, the way this is recorded has depth. You can hear all the little nuances in Ed's voice, the guitars, etc. Not referring to the version of the song itself.

Cool, I got ya. It must just be me then, but that's ok! I don't mind being the outlier. I love the album for what it is, I just don't think I'll be playing it that often. The set list is kinda weird and the sound is good but not mind blowing in my opinion. I feel like you don't get a real feel for the room that they're in. The best sounding albums I have give you a sense of the atmosphere. Benaroya for PJ, okonokos for mmj, and the mofi lab Garcia and Grisman are by far superior. Cool part of the collection, but out of all the pj vinyl I have there's several others I definitely will reach for more often.

And hey, that's totally just my opinion, not trying to be a hater by any means. I don't have an audiophile setup by any means either, and I know peeps in here do so I trust other's opinions a lot since their sound is prob better than mine.

No worries man, it's all just a matter of opinion!

I agree with you 100% on Benaroya Hall - that venue has some magic in it.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    First listen this morning. What a fantastic recording!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,341
    Finally gave this a good spin last night. And wow, I absolutely love it. 1/2 full was pretty amazing too! And I love the booth record. Very glad i was able to get this :smiley:
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Listened to the first side so far. Nice sound to it considering they did it on the spot.
    Not a big fan of the first two tracks, although Pendulum is pretty good here, just cannot stand MYM.
    1/2 Full is fantastic, with Deep being solid as well, although a little weird vocally.
    Onto the second side and my first listen ever to Of the Earth.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.

Giving it another listen now.... It DOES sound better to me now, lol. A bit muffled sounding still though, not perfectly clean or something, like its a bit muddy. I dig it though, it's a great addition :)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

Giving it another listen now.... It DOES sound better to me now, lol. A bit muffled sounding still though, not perfectly clean or something, like its a bit muddy. I dig it though, it's a great addition :)
    What's your set up? Source direct / AB sounds straight up in your face. So good!
    www.cluthelee.com
    I have a 70's Dual turntable- no idea about the cartridge, into an onkyo stereo receiver (tx-8020) built in pre amp into 2 wharfdale diamond 2.0 bookshelf speakers and an onkyo sub.

I'm just doing a comparison between this and my other vinyl basically and it's not nearly as clear as others. It honestly falls in the same group as some of my bootlegs on vinyl!
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031

I agree. I think it's one of the best sounding live pieces I have heard thus far.

• Yup really.

TOTALLY agree!!!

The bass and keyboards are heard and sound great.

The mixing on this record is fantastic! If you have a decent sound system this will be a treat to listen to.
    Wondering if I got a bunk pressing now after reading these consistent good reviews. I played my og no code right after this today and my wife was like "wow that sounds GOOD! Is that the other side of the third man disc?" Something's gotta be wrong. Like I said its really muddy with no clarity. Wonder if I should email tmr now.
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 595
    edited September 2016
    I've got exactly the same problem that Nuzzer1 described with the narrow center hole. Felt like I was going to snap the record or damage my turntable. Never had this happen before. Hobbes mentioned a biro pen. Could I ask what a biro pen is?
    PS- Most important a beautiful looking and sounding record. Side 2 that is, don't want to put on side 1 yet for the reason described above.
    Post edited by DJ253147 on
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    DJ253147 said:

I've got exactly the same problem that Nuzzer1 described with the narrow center hole. Felt like I was going to snap the record or damage my turntable. Never had this happen before. Hobbes mentioned a biro pen. Could I ask what a biro pen is?
    PS- Most important a beautiful looking and sounding record. Side 2 that is, don't want to put on side 1 yet for the reason described above.

I've had the same issue with the center hole. Add to that the skip about a minute or minute and a half away from the end of Pendulum. I've e-mailed. I cleaned the album 4x, cleaned the needle twice, made sure no dust . . . Skips in the same spot. Just that one spot. The sound is incredible and I appreciate that this vault was opened to 10c members to purchase.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    I feel like they are playing directly into my headphones. I don't think we will ever get a "realer" sounding live recording than this ever.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    DJ253147 said:

Biro pen is just fatter than a normal pen. Looks something like this:

Biro gives you that extra girth needed to loosen up that hole. Just insert the tip, add a slight bit of pressure, and twist. Be gentle at first. You might have to do it more than once, checking it on the spindle each time. (I know my description is adolescent, but it works.)

• hrd2imgn said:

I feel like they are playing directly into my headphones. I don't think we will ever get a "realer" sounding live recording than this ever.

This! is soooooo true!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hobbes said:

DJ253147 said:

Biro gives you that extra girth needed to loosen up that hole. Just insert the tip, add a slight bit of pressure, and twist. Be gentle at first. You might have to do it more than once, checking it on the spindle each time. (I know my description is adolescent, but it works.)

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:

Hobbes said:

DJ253147 said:

:lol:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Not being a dick just being serious- really? I feel like pendulum on the '13 cd bootlegs sounds way better, almost any show you pick has better ambiance and atmosphere and depth. The vinyl sounds good but does anyone else feel like it's a little overhyped?
    yep
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018

hrd2imgn said:

This! is soooooo true!
    I need headphones....

• For those who just want a record and not all the extra crap, anyone know if Third Man Records mentioned releasing this as a single 12" live series album?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    edited September 2016

For those who just want a record and not all the extra crap, anyone know if Third Man Records mentioned releasing this as a single 12" live series album?

In the Ten Club email announcing the package and the discount offer, they mentioned the Vault package would be the ONLY chance to all of these items.

Only other chance might be if TMR offers up any replacement stock after the fact, but that could be months/years down the road and you'd have to be a Vault member (or know one) to get access to buy in the Vault Novelties shop.
    Post edited by kasedoug on