TOTD Ticketmaster Tix... What a joke

Comments

• given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902

The only decent solution I see is if the band demands a ticketless system that requires you to scan your credit card for entry and show ID, only allowing the people who bought the tickets to get in.

Been saying this for over a decade now. I know venues and TM have their own rules since they make money off resale, but I would think bands of this caliber can dictate some rules. U2 does it for their floor tickets. NIN has done it. I can't believe that PJ hasn't done this for at least 10C tix and these special shows. With the lottery system & GA, it's so easy for scalpers to get in on the ticket allotment. Sucks for us.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740

Been saying this for over a decade now. I know venues and TM have their own rules since they make money off resale, but I would think bands of this caliber can dictate some rules. U2 does it for their floor tickets. NIN has done it. I can't believe that PJ hasn't done this for at least 10C tix and these special shows. With the lottery system & GA, it's so easy for scalpers to get in on the ticket allotment. Sucks for us.

Doesn't solve the problem, but even scalpers agree it would slow them down.....

"It slows people down, definitely. But because these tickets are so valuable, a [broker] will say to his wife, "Let's go up to Jersey for Springsteen. I've got these idiot customers that paid $1,200 apiece. We'll walk in with them, then we'll leave. I'll take you to dinner." It's more trouble, it's more money, but to a certain extent it can't be stopped."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/502937/confessions-of-a-ticket-scalper-billboards-candid-qa
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited July 2016

PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

AceCool said:

I can't believe that anybody actually attempts to buy tickets directly through TM. That whole setup is the biggest POS deal ever. It was bad enough 20+ years ago when you had to call in to the local TM outlet and all you were battling was the thousands of local fans trying to get through on the 10 phone lines they had. Now that you go through their computer system and you are battling actual fans (potentially) nationwide on top of those scumfuck brokers and their phonebots, it's the ultimate stacked deck.
    Especially after reading the article that was linked on here a few months back inwhich the former CEO of TM spelled it out how by the time that tickets are "released to the public" there are probably only 10-15% left of what the house capacity is. Such a fucking scam. As pissed as so many people are about the prices that get charged on the secondary market, I have come to realize that more often than not if I really want to see a high demand show my first stop is a web site that rhymes with Schmub Shlub.

i don't even try anymore. it's a wasted effort. if i really want to go to a show i'll find a ticket on that other site. as i get older i'd rather pay more for a quality seat anyway.
    Yup
    Ouch. Well, this is definitely confirmation that the problem will just get worse and worse, since the solution for many is the very cause of the problem. :frowning: (it's not a wasted effort unless no one is getting tix for any shows from TM, which isn't the case).
    You seem to imply that I'm part of the problem. It's born out of frustration of the system. Don't blame me or judge me. This is why I skip your posts 99% of the time
    Well that's hurtful. I didn't judge you, but you sure did just judge me.
    No idea why anyone took what I said personally, unless you feel bad about doing it. Are any of you denying that people turning to scalpers because TM is rendered useless by scalpers aggravates this whole problem in a cyclical way? That is what I am saying. You all know that's true.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Posts: 2,209
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

AceCool said:

I can't believe that anybody actually attempts to buy tickets directly through TM. That whole setup is the biggest POS deal ever. It was bad enough 20+ years ago when you had to call in to the local TM outlet and all you were battling was the thousands of local fans trying to get through on the 10 phone lines they had. Now that you go through their computer system and you are battling actual fans (potentially) nationwide on top of those scumfuck brokers and their phonebots, it's the ultimate stacked deck.
    Especially after reading the article that was linked on here a few months back inwhich the former CEO of TM spelled it out how by the time that tickets are "released to the public" there are probably only 10-15% left of what the house capacity is. Such a fucking scam. As pissed as so many people are about the prices that get charged on the secondary market, I have come to realize that more often than not if I really want to see a high demand show my first stop is a web site that rhymes with Schmub Shlub.

i don't even try anymore. it's a wasted effort. if i really want to go to a show i'll find a ticket on that other site. as i get older i'd rather pay more for a quality seat anyway.
    Yup
    Ouch. Well, this is definitely confirmation that the problem will just get worse and worse, since the solution for many is the very cause of the problem. :frowning: (it's not a wasted effort unless no one is getting tix for any shows from TM, which isn't the case).
    You seem to imply that I'm part of the problem. It's born out of frustration of the system. Don't blame me or judge me. This is why I skip your posts 99% of the time
    Well that's hurtful. I didn't judge you, but you sure did just judge me.
    No idea why anyone took what I said personally, unless you feel bad about doing it. Are any of you denying that people turning to scalpers because TM is rendered useless by scalpers aggravates this whole problem in a cyclical way? That is what I am saying. You all know that's true.
    good grief... relentless.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845

What's everyone's opinion of the folks here who purchased the tickets, with having NO intentions of going to the show? They just purchased them, with the hope of trading for Wrigley or Fenway.

No better than scalpers.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,471

What's everyone's opinion of the folks here who purchased the tickets, with having NO intentions of going to the show? They just purchased them, with the hope of trading for Wrigley or Fenway.

No better than scalpers.
    All is fair in love, war, and Pearl Jam tickets. I guess.
    Hoarding tickets, for shows you have no intentions of going to, to use as trade bait, doesn't seem to be a problem with a majority of the folks here? Ok, but I don't want to hear about scalpers and flippers then. Because all the scenarios(flipping, scalping, hoarding), all seem somewhat devious to me.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • What's everyone's opinion of the folks here who purchased the tickets, with having NO intentions of going to the show? They just purchased them, with the hope of trading for Wrigley or Fenway.

Not a big fan of that practice. I hate to say this, but I hope they get stuck with them (except they will be able to sell them because of the demand).
    October 1, 1996 ... Marine Midland Arena, Buffalo-NY (USA)
    October 12, 2013 ... First Niagara Center, Buffalo-NY (USA)
    May 2, 2016 ... Madison Square Garden, New York-NY (USA)
    May 8, 2016 ... Canadian Tire Centre, Ottawa-Ontario (Canada)
    May 10, 2016 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto-Ontario (Canada)
    May 12, 2016 ... Air Canada Centre, Toronto-Ontario (Canada)
    August 5, 2016 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
    August 7, 2016 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
    November 7, 2016 ... TOTD, Madison Square Garden, New York-NY (USA)
    September 2, 2018 ... Fenway Park, Boston-Mass. (USA)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited July 2016

No better than scalpers.
    Hoarding tickets, for shows you have no intentions of going to, to use as trade bait, doesn't seem to be a problem with a majority of the folks here? Ok, but I don't want to hear about scalpers and flippers then. Because all the scenarios(flipping, scalping, hoarding), all seem somewhat devious to me.

I have a problem with it. It makes the whole problem worse for sure (again that whole cyclical thing). I understand how people kind of feel railroaded into turning to scalpers (i wouldn't do it), but buying fanclub tix for trade bait kind of steps it up a notch, you know? Adds yet another layer of difficulty to the whole thing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    PJ_Soul said:

No better than scalpers.

I have a problem with it. It makes the whole problem worse for sure (again that whole cyclical thing). I understand how people kind of feel railroaded into turning to scalpers (i wouldn't do it), but buying fanclub tix for trade bait kind of steps it up a notch, you know? Adds yet another layer of difficulty to the whole thing.
    Totally agree. I also love seeing all the crazy ass trades on here. Will trade: two totd tix for wrigley ga. Wtf?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    i hear anyone can purchase this bot software thing for around 1000 american. always assumed it was more complicated than that. no wonder theres bots everywhere. i know what i want for christmas.... if you cant beat em, join em.
  • duffmannduffmann Posts: 475
    edited July 2016
    A complete disaster!

i hear anyone can purchase this bot software thing for around 1000 american. always assumed it was more complicated than that. no wonder theres bots everywhere. i know what i want for christmas.... if you cant beat em, join em.

Now the bots are battling it out "Battle Bots".....
    Post edited by duffmann on
    Philly PA 91, Philly 92, Camden 98, Camden 2X 00, State College, Philly, Camden 2X & Hershey 03, Reading 04, AC 2X & Philly 05, Camden 2X 06, Camden 2X 08, Philly 4X 09, Philly 2X & Balt 13, Natti & Moline 14, FTL & MIA, Philly 2X, MSG 2X, Fenway 2X 16, Seattle 2X, Missoula, Wrigley 2X, Fenway 2X 18                               ******COVID******
    San Diego & LA  2X, PHX, MSG, Camden, Nashville, 50th SHOW STL 22, CHI(n2), INDY, FTW(n2), Austin 2X 23......
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited July 2016

So are the additions of shows in San Fran, Philly and Seattle basically a done deal a while ago but they don't announce so that the fan clubs don't get any allocations? I.e., the band and promoters agree to it ahead of time?

They needed promotors? I bet hey could have done 2 Ten Club / SG Fan Club only shows at Settle, SF & Philly and sold them out easily.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,471
    My new favorite people on the board?

"If you go wait in the merchandise line for 8 hours, getting me posters, stickers, etc., while I enjoy myself visiting the city, eating at a nice restaurant, and making friends at the pre-parties.....I will give you a ticket to the show"

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

"If you go wait in the merchandise line for 8 hours, getting me posters, stickers, etc., while I enjoy myself visiting the city, eating at a nice restaurant, and making friends at the pre-parties.....I will give you a ticket to the show"

it takes 4-6 hours to get merchandise. fine 8. i personally have 120 hours in these cities. i'll be in a line from 8 am to early afternoon. big fucking deal. that leaves me 112 or so hours to do all the things you described. i'll send you the 1000+ photos and videos i get of these cities, i'll review all the sensational food i eat, im already meeting way too many people as it is, but im sure will meet many more groovy souls as always. the suggestion that waiting out a morning to get a bunch of shit prevents you from enjoying the city, the show, the action, people, freedom just sounds bitter.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535

U2 only does it with the fan club purchased tickets. When I saw u2 last year.. only the fan club members had to go paperless. non fan club tickets were done old school.

I agree though. Paperless tickets seems to completely combat scalping. Paperless and no ability to transfer means the purchaser has to go in. I think out of the hundreds of concert's I've been too, there were 3 I couldn't attend. I'd gladly eat 3 pairs of tickets over 20 years to see non-transferrable paperless tickets used.
    myoung321 said:

They needed promotors? I bet hey could have done 2 Ten Club / SG Fan Club only shows at Settle, SF & Philly and sold them out easily.

Sort of. People forget that the promoters usually deal with everything, so all the band has to do is have their crew setup and play. That's why the '95 tour was so hard on the band. By forgoing TM venues and promoters they had to do everything themselves. Find the venues, handle the ticketing, hire security, staff the venue... all the bs logisitcal stuff you need to run concerts.

The guys are in their 50s.... I think they just want to play. Thus you let someone else work out the logistics.
  • i vote never paperless.... i want my traditional hard ticket until the day i die.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,453

i vote never paperless.... i want my traditional hard ticket until the day i die.

I always opt for the mailed tix on TM/LN
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • i vote never paperless.... i want my traditional hard ticket until the day i die.

I always opt for the mailed tix on TM/LN
    keepin it real...
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,272

it takes 4-6 hours to get merchandise. fine 8. i personally have 120 hours in these cities. i'll be in a line from 8 am to early afternoon. big fucking deal. that leaves me 112 or so hours to do all the things you described. i'll send you the 1000+ photos and videos i get of these cities, i'll review all the sensational food i eat, im already meeting way too many people as it is, but im sure will meet many more groovy souls as always. the suggestion that waiting out a morning to get a bunch of shit prevents you from enjoying the city, the show, the action, people, freedom just sounds bitter.
    Spoken like a true Flipper.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13

i vote never paperless.... i want my traditional hard ticket until the day i die.

I value my ticket stub collection, and you're right the stub they give you with paperless tickets is really bad. Luckily at the u2 show I went to non fan club members had paper tickets, so I grabbed one off the floor.

Maybe they could modify paperless tickets, so it prints you out a real ticket, instead of a crappy looking ticket when you enter the venue? Personally I want to both combat scalping and have a real ticket to put in my collection.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,840
    Zod said:

I value my ticket stub collection, and you're right the stub they give you with paperless tickets is really bad. Luckily at the u2 show I went to non fan club members had paper tickets, so I grabbed one off the floor.

Maybe they could modify paperless tickets, so it prints you out a real ticket, instead of a crappy looking ticket when you enter the venue? Personally I want to both combat scalping and have a real ticket to put in my collection.
    I'm shocked there is not a "collectible ticket stub" option from Ticketmaster that gives you a barcode-less souvenir (does not actually let you in). They'd be able to charge $10+ and I'd still buy it because I keep ticket stubs.
  • Horse2345 said:

hahahaha...spoken like someone who needs a glass of warm milk before bedtime, eh?

what did i flip again? remind me. never flipped a single item in my life. coming from the guy that tried to rip people off on here in 2013 with loaded ticket deals for, seattle was it? refresh my memory? gets reprimanded, and turns into The Self Proclaimed Forum Mountie. classic shit. you set that price yet on your extra tmr copy PoPo? oh ya, its for your friend. ha. just like i told you in october, call me. you got the number, eh...
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Posts: 1,504
    tschav said:

Zod said:

I'm shocked there is not a "collectible ticket stub" option from Ticketmaster that gives you a barcode-less souvenir (does not actually let you in). They'd be able to charge $10+ and I'd still buy it because I keep ticket stubs.
    You can go to the box office the day of and ask them to print you a real stub in exchange for your e/print at home ticket
  • tschav said:

Zod said:

You can go to the box office the day of and ask them to print you a real stub in exchange for your e/print at home ticket
    thats great to know. never thought of that.
    Zod said:

U2 only does it with the fan club purchased tickets. When I saw u2 last year.. only the fan club members had to go paperless. non fan club tickets were done old school.

The entire floor was credit card entry only. Buyer and guest had to enter together. I've never been in the fan club and saw them twice at the UC last year, both on the floor.

Also, I'm so tired of the "I want my ticket stub" argument. You can still have actual tickets, it just means you have to walk right in after you pick them up. NIN did it for the Wave Goodbye tour. They had beautiful custom tickets with the buyer's name and embossed logo that people here would probably trade their 401ks or first-borns for but you had to walk right in. And even if they didnt offer actual physical ticket stubs, you'd rather not get in at all than no have get a ticket stub? Ridiculous.

Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    Is there no venue in the USA where the 10club or any organization can secure 100% of seats to host a concert?

It really does suck that the last show of the tour was pretty much dumped up on Ticketmaster for the taking. Would of been great if there were some 10club / Chris Cornell or Soundgarden Fan Club tickets offered at least.
    demetrios said:

Is there no venue in the USA where the 10club or any organization can secure 100% of seats to host a concert?

My house.

Seriously though, how rigged is the industry if bands of this level can't control ticket distribution? Completely out of hand.
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,272

Horse2345 said:

hahahaha...spoken like someone who needs a glass of warm milk before bedtime, eh?

what did i flip again? remind me. never flipped a single item in my life. coming from the guy that tried to rip people off on here in 2013 with loaded ticket deals for, seattle was it? refresh my memory? gets reprimanded, and turns into The Self Proclaimed Forum Mountie. classic shit. you set that price yet on your extra tmr copy PoPo? oh ya, its for your friend. ha. just like i told you in october, call me. you got the number, eh...
    Lol, another internet tough guy.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • riley540riley540 Posts: 1,132
    Who's stoked to enjoy some music?!