Options

DNC Philadelphia 2016

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,766
    mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

People just don't get up out of their seats and leave and come back. I've never heard of that.

What?!?! You can't get out of your seat to go take a piss/grab something to eat and come back????
    I think the poster was being sarcastic.
    I would hope so. But you never know in these political threads. That's why I try to stay away!
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    You're all a bunch of sheep
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,414

dignin said:

People just don't get up out of their seats and leave and come back. I've never heard of that.

What?!?! You can't get out of your seat to go take a piss/grab something to eat and come back????
    Only if Evenflow is playing. Then it's totally acceptable...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,737

dignin said:

I don't know. They've done a really good job with Even Flow over the last few years, especially now that MC has that little solo at the end. I used to dread it but I don't mind anymore. Most anything from LB (except LB itself) is more tiresome to me.

Excuse me for discussing PJ on this board...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,766

dignin said:

LOL. I usually wait for Sirens for my piss break these days.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,143
    PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

umm, seen several different perspective shots around the arena. Place looks packed. Would say most are (75%) or more are engaged in this speech.

show me where to look for the live half empty arena shots.

One of my friends shared this earlier. That is actually quite a few empty seats.
    https://youtu.be/zGRo1mH2_8w
    just saw that. no where near empty. would have liked to see a pan shot of the entire arena. you know, to give an honest perspective of the place. to let me judge for myself if the place was "totally empty" as asserted by this guy.

this bring raise a few questions for me though.
    at what point was the walkout?
    what was the schedule surrounding the walkout?
    was this a scheduled break time?
    did all or most of those who walked out simply leave the floor or the building?
    if a delegate left the floor or building are they allowed back in?

seeking straightforward least bias answers here. you know, to think critically for myself rather than have a narrative fed to me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I wear depends. No way I'm missing sirens or even flow
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

muskydan said:

Hey Cliffy, so it appears you got the opportunity to be around some of the Black Lives Matter protesters. What did you think? Your opinion will hold water to me since you were exposed.
    be honest....

What I saw was fairly restrained and subdued. Felt some tension, but that may just have been me not being around that situation ever really. Hung around there for about 10 minutes and to be honest, between numerous people on megaphones and various chants, I couldn't really understand what people were saying.

Police did a good job of just being there and not adding any unnecessary anxiety or tension to the situation.

Regarding BLM. I didn't really see anything that would give me pause. It did feel tense and they are angry, but most of the signs I saw were largely fair. "schools not prisons"...things like that. (Edit: looking back at pictures, maybe a couple slightly more radical, but nothing insane). Not to say there weren't significantly worse ones, I just didn't see it. It was not at all like the protests that have escalated around the country, at least it seemed to me. In all transparency, I do sympathize and agree with the premise of the movement but I am not a huge fan of much of the execution.

The Mumia fucks come out for any occasion. Fuck them.

Outside of black lives matter, the protests are VERY hippie and yeah, not the best smelling group of folks in the world, especially in 100 degrees.

That old Gandalf looking dude with the rubber boot on his head facing off with the cops that I posted yesterday is my favorite scene so far.

I also realized that these are people that didn't vote for Obama and Hillary won't get/doesn't need them. She was never getting them. This is the Occupy crew. I am significantly right of these folks. There are PLENTY of Bernie folks she'll get, but these people were never an option.

All in all, I think everyone has largely handled themselves well so far. Protesters have protested peacefully and said what they want to say. I believe only 4 people have been arrested so far for jumping barriers down at the convention.

Social media is the absolute worst. A lot of pictures of people taunting cops from the Occupy protests over the past few years are being floated as recent and from Philly. Shameful.

I do know of one cop car getting tagged pretty bad (in my friends district) but all in all, it seems like everyone has been pretty respectful.

The flag burning from Bernie protesters is disgraceful

Half way there. Hopefully it doesn't escalate over the next 36 hours.
    Thank You for sharing your On the scene experience.
    Imagine being one of those Policemen that are there to protect the protesters from all sorts of things, and the protesting is directly focused on them. I have always said that what a unique opportunity it is for a protester to be able to face their opposition directly and say and sometimes do shit that is completely unacceptable in a civil society. Not in our society anymore..
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Empty seats at certain points of the night mean absolutely nothing. The same happened at the RNC. People don't always come for the opening bands and/or take their times coming back to the seats at half time. The Raptors sell out every single game but only a moron would show footage of the arena in the first few minutes of the third and say "man this team gets poor attendance!".
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    muskydan said:

muskydan said:

Hey Cliffy, so it appears you got the opportunity to be around some of the Black Lives Matter protesters. What did you think? Your opinion will hold water to me since you were exposed.
    be honest....

What I saw was fairly restrained and subdued. Felt some tension, but that may just have been me not being around that situation ever really. Hung around there for about 10 minutes and to be honest, between numerous people on megaphones and various chants, I couldn't really understand what people were saying.

Police did a good job of just being there and not adding any unnecessary anxiety or tension to the situation.

Regarding BLM. I didn't really see anything that would give me pause. It did feel tense and they are angry, but most of the signs I saw were largely fair. "schools not prisons"...things like that. (Edit: looking back at pictures, maybe a couple slightly more radical, but nothing insane). Not to say there weren't significantly worse ones, I just didn't see it. It was not at all like the protests that have escalated around the country, at least it seemed to me. In all transparency, I do sympathize and agree with the premise of the movement but I am not a huge fan of much of the execution.

The Mumia fucks come out for any occasion. Fuck them.

Outside of black lives matter, the protests are VERY hippie and yeah, not the best smelling group of folks in the world, especially in 100 degrees.

That old Gandalf looking dude with the rubber boot on his head facing off with the cops that I posted yesterday is my favorite scene so far.

I also realized that these are people that didn't vote for Obama and Hillary won't get/doesn't need them. She was never getting them. This is the Occupy crew. I am significantly right of these folks. There are PLENTY of Bernie folks she'll get, but these people were never an option.

All in all, I think everyone has largely handled themselves well so far. Protesters have protested peacefully and said what they want to say. I believe only 4 people have been arrested so far for jumping barriers down at the convention.

Social media is the absolute worst. A lot of pictures of people taunting cops from the Occupy protests over the past few years are being floated as recent and from Philly. Shameful.

I do know of one cop car getting tagged pretty bad (in my friends district) but all in all, it seems like everyone has been pretty respectful.

The flag burning from Bernie protesters is disgraceful

Half way there. Hopefully it doesn't escalate over the next 36 hours.
    Thank You for sharing your On the scene experience.
    Imagine being one of those Policemen that are there to protect the protesters from all sorts of things, and the protesting is directly focused on them. I have always said that what a unique opportunity it is for a protester to be able to face their opposition directly and say and sometimes do shit that is completely unacceptable in a civil society. Not in our society anymore..
    I don't disagree. While I didn't see any of the more obscene stuff, I am aware of people calling for killing police and the like. Obviously that stuff is completely unacceptable and I truly believe is the vast minority of these folks.

I completely see both sides of this thing. One of our (my wife and I) best friends is a Philly cop who works in the hood. At the same time, my "brother" and best man in my wedding is a black dude who has on occasion been singled out and treated like shit because of his skin color.

Both sides need to do a better job.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited July 2016

Free said:

Quit making excuses. Half the place was empty and it was not due to being between speakers. Those who walked out didn't come back, they continued protesting outside the convention. The Dem party will not unite at this point unless something big happens (I don't know, a personal apology from HRC herself and firing of her good friend DWS?)What a sham.

99.99% of the protesters outside were never in the convention. They are not delegates or donors and never had access.

They came from Center City through a variety of marches.

Yes, there were lots of protests. No, the convention was not empty.

Good god, dude.
    Good God yourself, dude. You didn't listen to me last night and you're still not listening or rather you just listening to the television. ( because they tell me the truth!)

What happened last night absolutely did happen regardless of what you want to think. I saw it all with my own eyes on social networks, personal videos, personal commentary, YouTube Twitter, etc. it is everywhere. whether you want to believe it or not.

I'll tell you one thing who's united. It's Bernie delegates. They organized that walk out and they organize to be silent and They organize those protests, not all of them because of the BLM protest but many of them. Just look the other way because you're just going to keep doing it, deny reality.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,737
    Free said:

Free said:

Quit making excuses. Half the place was empty and it was not due to being between speakers. Those who walked out didn't come back, they continued protesting outside the convention. The Dem party will not unite at this point unless something big happens (I don't know, a personal apology from HRC herself and firing of her good friend DWS?)What a sham.

99.99% of the protesters outside were never in the convention. They are not delegates or donors and never had access.

Good god, dude.
    Good God yourself, dude. You didn't listen to me last night and you're still not listening or rather you just listening to the television. ( because they tell me the truth!)

What happened last night absolutely did happen regardless of what you want to think. I saw it all with my own eyes on social networks, personal videos, personal commentary, YouTube Twitter, etc. it is everywhere. whether you want to believe it or not.

Because your sources are agenda-free and without inherent bias.
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

Good god, dude.

mickeyrat said:

PJPOWER said:

mickeyrat said:

umm, seen several different perspective shots around the arena. Place looks packed. Would say most are (75%) or more are engaged in this speech.

show me where to look for the live half empty arena shots.

One of my friends shared this earlier. That is actually quite a few empty seats.
    https://youtu.be/zGRo1mH2_8w
    just saw that. no where near empty. would have liked to see a pan shot of the entire arena. you know, to give an honest perspective of the place. to let me judge for myself if the place was "totally empty" as asserted by this guy.

at what point was the walkout?
    what was the schedule surrounding the walkout?
    was this a scheduled break time?
    did all or most of those who walked out simply leave the floor or the building?
    if a delegate left the floor or building are they allowed back in?

seeking straightforward least bias answers here. you know, to think critically for myself rather than have a narrative fed to me.
    All of your questions are answered for you on the net.
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

Good god, dude.

I'll tell you one thing who's united. It's Bernie delegates. They organized that walk out and they organize to be silent and They organize those protests, not all of them because of the BLM protest but many of them. Just look the other way because you're just going to keep doing it, deny reality.
    I did listen to you. I watched the video. It was posted before 8 PM.

I acknowledged there was a walk out. There were a couple hundred or less people who staged a sit in in one of the media tents. But also, the arena was full in prime time when Clinton was speaking. It's just a simple fact.

I am very aware of the protests. I am not listening to the TV and am in fact listening to what I have seen in the city, what the police department is saying and what local reporters with absolutely no skin in the game are saying.

Yes, protests happened. Almost all of those people, like I said, are only here to protest and not attend the actual convention. So while there was certainly some sort of walk out, the convention was full later on.

I very much understand what is happening in this city right now.
  • Options
    at what point was the walkout? After the vote. The walkout was between 7-8. That's not to say it was full by any given point shortly, but it did fill back up.

what was the schedule surrounding the walkout? Local folks spoke before the main events of the evening so the arena was probably half empty for people from the area

was this a scheduled break time? not sure

did all or most of those who walked out simply leave the floor or the building? Many went to a media tent and staged a sit in. I am sure some left completely

if a delegate left the floor or building are they allowed back in? Yes, your passes are personalized and have names and IDs on them. You cannot get into the secure area without them, so they are comfortable with people coming and going. Delegates have been coming and going as there are tents for interviews, meetings, etc. all around the building
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,143

at what point was the walkout? After the vote. The walkout was between 7-8. That's not to say it was full by any given point shortly, but it did fill back up.

what was the schedule surrounding the walkout? Local folks spoke before the main events of the evening so the arena was probably half empty for people from the area

did all or most of those who walked out simply leave the floor or the building? Many went to a media tent and staged a sit in. I am sure some left completely

if a delegate left the floor or building are they allowed back in? Yes, your passes are personalized and have names and IDs on them. You cannot get into the secure area without them, so they are comfortable with people coming and going. Delegates have been coming and going as there are tents for interviews, meetings, etc. all around the building

thank you. plain answers. wasnt hard at all, was it.
    thanks again for sharing your observations. its pretty damn cool of you to do so.

maybe you should have applied for 10C AMT press credemtials!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mickeyrat said:

thanks again for sharing your observations. its pretty damn cool of you to do so.

I second that, thanks for the inside info Cliffy.
  • Options
    dignin said:

mickeyrat said:

I second that, thanks for the inside info Cliffy.
    Word up. I am a nerd for this stuff. Wonder how that request would have gone down!

"Pearl jam is extremely popular in Philadelphia, so I need to keep all of their fans up to date. Please and thank you"
  • Options
    I feel like I have to hop on the bike and check this out this evening...

Do note that this camping is not permitted but the police are letting it go to not cause any unnecessary issues. No camping permits were issued within the city limits.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,716
    Wow, this thread has become a bit crazy pants.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    God dammit. Just got this from the brother in law. Jerk couldn't get me in!

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

Do note that this camping is not permitted but the police are letting it go to not cause any unnecessary issues. No camping permits were issued within the city limits.
    It's like Telluride Town Park minus the cool!
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Minus a whole lot of cool and probably a lot more.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Free said:

Free said:

Good god, dude.

I did listen to you. I watched the video. It was posted before 8 PM.

I acknowledged there was a walk out. There were a couple hundred or less people who staged a sit in in one of the media tents. But also, the arena was full in prime time when Clinton was speaking. It's just a simple fact.

I am very aware of the protests. I am not listening to the TV and am in fact listening to what I have seen in the city, what the police department is saying and what local reporters with absolutely no skin in the game are saying.

Yes, protests happened. Almost all of those people, like I said, are only here to protest and not attend the actual convention. So while there was certainly some sort of walk out, the convention was full later on.

I very much understand what is happening in this city right now.
    Yet you had no clue last night and wiuldnt believe it. The Bernie delegates left immediately after the vote and didn't go back to the arena, the stayed outside for silent rallies and protests.

If you want to believe that that arena was full of delegates for Bill's speech, you are wrong. They didn't go back, and like the guy mentioned in that video, Clinton delegates were seated down in front of him and Bernie delegates were seated behind, which is where all the empty seats were. The camera panned to the seats closest to Bill most of the time. You really think they're going to pan a Half empty arena or perhaps fill that video space with full images? You weren't there yet you know for sure Bernie delegates came back to fill it for Slick Willy? Uh huh.

Otherwise thanks for the commentary.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Were you there? Did you see all of the empty seats?
  • Options
    I don't know man. Whatever you want to think. I'm done arguing about empty seats.

I was also very much aware of the protests. They have been close to 24 hours a day and the sit in was very widely reported on. Just wasn't a ton of people
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,414

Were you there? Did you see all of the empty seats?

Alternative news site. Probably being broadcasted from the tent city pictured above.
  • Options
    If all these Bernie people left, who was there to report the truth that no one else reported on during the Clinton speech?
  • Options
    Perhaps the same people that reported so accurately that turner had her credentials taken?