Options

Olympics in Rio

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Jason P said:

Ryan Lochte has lost 4 sponsors. People are acting like he kicked a puppy on live television during the closing ceremony.

Brands can choose whoever they want to represent them.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Jason P said:

Ryan Lochte has lost 4 sponsors. People are acting like he kicked a puppy on live television during the closing ceremony.

True but Mike has several DUI and doesn't seem to have any issue with sponsers.

Ryan peed in a bush and tore down a poster and his post career earnings are fucked.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

Did anyone mention that lady who has medaled at six straight Olympics?

It was mentioned, nobody cares because it's not an athletic sport. A person can shoot well from the age of grade school until they are in their 80's, which makes six straight Olympics just not that impressive.
    Or the fact that you loathe anything that has to do with guns.
    Pretty sure rgambs isn't the only one who doesn't give a shit.
    Shooting? Honestly, I'd forgotten that was even an event, and i am an Olympics junkie. No one cares.
    well if you and rgambs don't give a shit then we should probably just get rid of it.
    Low ratings, minimal media coverage. That suggests a lot more people than me and rgambs don't give a shit.
    Who would know there are more to the olympics than just gymnastics, track and field and swimming? the coverage has completely sucked and olympic ratings have hit an all time low for nbc. maybe air some new sports.
    I was disappointed this summer. Too much coverage of swim qualifying heats, and same with track the last few days. I'd rather watch the gold medal match of archery, badmitton, ping pong or anything random than one of dozens of qualifying heats where the ones expected to win complain if you run/swim your fastest.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    my man Conner Fields takes gold in BMX !

Godfather.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited August 2016
    mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

It was mentioned, nobody cares because it's not an athletic sport. A person can shoot well from the age of grade school until they are in their 80's, which makes six straight Olympics just not that impressive.
    Shooting? Honestly, I'd forgotten that was even an event, and i am an Olympics junkie. No one cares.
    well if you and rgambs don't give a shit then we should probably just get rid of it.
    Low ratings, minimal media coverage. That suggests a lot more people than me and rgambs don't give a shit.
    Who would know there are more to the olympics than just gymnastics, track and field and swimming? the coverage has completely sucked and olympic ratings have hit an all time low for nbc. maybe air some new sports.
    I was disappointed this summer. Too much coverage of swim qualifying heats, and same with track the last few days. I'd rather watch the gold medal match of archery, badmitton, ping pong or anything random than one of dozens of qualifying heats where the ones expected to win complain if you run/swim your fastest.
    Are you saying there is only one channel that shows the Olympics in the US? Or are you elsewhere? Not sure how it works there, but here they have 5 channels going at the same time, each with different events on. The main network is CBC, and while they show whatever sport (usually the more popular ones, but not always), they also regularly announce which channels to go to for various live events at that time (i.e. Sportsnet1 and 2, TSN, etc), so anyone can pretty much pick and choose which events they get to see, including all the more obscure ones. And of course there is a TV schedule for all of these channels online so you can find when and where to watch what you want.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mcgruff10 said:

Jason P said:

Shouldn't basketball be in the winter olympics? They run the same time as the NHL in the same arenas.

It would interfere with the NBA season. Can't have that.
    So it doesn't count when the nhl stops for two weeks for the Olympics?
    I didn't say anything about it not counting. But the sarcasm wasn't dripping as much as I thought it was
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Ryan peed in a bush and tore down a poster and his post career earnings are fucked.
    That's understanding it a bit. He made up a story to prevent himself from being banned in 2020. Anytime an Olympic athlete gets into trouble with the law during the Olympics in the host city, they are subject to bans during the next Olympiad. He thought that if he could make up this story and get away with it, he'd be clear to compete in 2020.
  • Options

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

That's understanding it a bit. He made up a story to prevent himself from being banned in 2020. Anytime an Olympic athlete gets into trouble with the law during the Olympics in the host city, they are subject to bans during the next Olympiad. He thought that if he could make up this story and get away with it, he'd be clear to compete in 2020.
    He didn't get in trouble with the law, they were private security and they paid for the damage. What did happen is that he over-exaggerated the story to a few people and it turned into a raging twitter dumpster fire.

Twitter caused this story where 10 years ago it would have been water under the bridge. The only reason charges were discussed is because Rio got their feelings hurt because it made their city look ... well, like what it is, crime ridden.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

He didn't get in trouble with the law, they were private security and they paid for the damage. What did happen is that he over-exaggerated the story to a few people and it turned into a raging twitter dumpster fire.

Twitter caused this story where 10 years ago it would have been water under the bridge. The only reason charges were discussed is because Rio got their feelings hurt because it made their city look ... well, like what it is, crime ridden.
    I understand what you're saying. Listening to some talking head when this story first broke, they were saying he could have been subject to investigation from the IOC and been punished. Either way, bone bead thing to do.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited August 2016
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Well good point about Rio. The gall taken is a bit of a joke. We all know shit like what Lochte lied about really does happen there (and a lot of worse stuff too), not to mention the general debacle that was the 2016 Olympics, so the idea that this one story might marr Rio's reputation is pretty silly. Rio already marred it's own reputation a million times over.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    my favourite part of the story is the fact that it only came out because he told his mammy :rofl:
  • Options

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

I understand what you're saying. Listening to some talking head when this story first broke, they were saying he could have been subject to investigation from the IOC and been punished. Either way, bone bead thing to do.
    I've probably done worse things drunk ... maybe not in my 30's though :smiley:
  • Options
    Not much coverage has been given to Brazil extorting $11K from the other swimmers to get their passports back so they could leave the country when they didn't commit any crimes. Nor much given that the guards did indeed draw their firearm in a non-defensive way to demand payment for knocking over an advertising sign

Rio state judge João Batista Damasceno compared the incident to a landlord collecting rent from a tenant — with a gun in his hand. Even if the money is owed, force cannot be used, he said.

“This security guard or any other person can run after the person” who is fleeing the scene, Damasceno said. “They get you, hold on to you and call the police, which will eventually accompany that person to the station.”

An open question is whether the security guards can allege they used their weapons in self-defense against the swimmers.

In the athletes’ recounting of the night, they first see a gun on the hips of two men who approach their taxi as they try to leave the location. Two of the swimmers begin to walk away from the car, according to their testimony — and then the security guards draw their guns. Deluz also said that the guards pulled their guns when the men attempted to leave the scene.

Damasceno and Costa said the use of a weapon in such a situation is not justified.

“The security guards weren’t defending themselves. They were holding the athletes by pointing a firearm,” Costa said. “It is common (in Brazil) and ends up being natural to have private armed security. Which is very dangerous — this case came close to being a tragedy. They were drunk youth being held by two armed security guards.

usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/23/ryan-lochte-us-swimmers-rio-de-janeiro-gas-station-security-guards-incident/89228124/
  • Options
    Classic extortion:

Jimmy Feigen said he was interviewed multiple times by police as he was caught up in the aftermath of Lochte initially telling the news media that they had been robbed at gunpoint Feigen said he was presented with two options by Brazilian prosecutors last week: wait about a month as police conduct its investigation or pay a fine.

Prosecutors initially sought $31,500 for the return of Feigen’s passport that would allow him to leave the country. When Feigen’s lawyers balked at that figure, prosecutors raised the fine to $46,875.

“Finally, all parties agreed to a $10,800.00 fine,” Feigen said. “I was able to contact my family in the United States along with my American attorneys and we were able to satisfy the payment of the fine the next day. My passport was returned to me after payment was received, and I was able to return home.”

usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/24/jimmy-feigen-statement-rio-olympics-gas-station-swimmers-incident-release-negotiations/89245930/
  • Options
    The head of Rio's police force lied about the vandalism:

Rio police characterized the incident as extensive vandalism committed by rambunctious young athletes, a portrayal that heightened the backlash against Lochte in particular. In a news conference Thursday, the head of Rio’s civil police force, Fernando Veloso, said Lochte and his teammates broke a mirror and soap dispenser in the bathroom.

But in their signed testimonies to police, the athletes were asked only about — and admitted to — damage to an advertising poster with a metallic frame that was knocked down by Lochte.

“It was only an advertising sign,” said Breno Melaragno Costa, a lawyer who represented U.S. swimmer Jimmy Feigen in a settlement to avoid charges of filing a false police report. “This should not have been called vandalism. This is a manipulated piece of information.”
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

rgambs said:

unsung said:

Are you saying there is only one channel that shows the Olympics in the US? Or are you elsewhere? Not sure how it works there, but here they have 5 channels going at the same time, each with different events on. The main network is CBC, and while they show whatever sport (usually the more popular ones, but not always), they also regularly announce which channels to go to for various live events at that time (i.e. Sportsnet1 and 2, TSN, etc), so anyone can pretty much pick and choose which events they get to see, including all the more obscure ones. And of course there is a TV schedule for all of these channels online so you can find when and where to watch what you want.
    I think I got 3 channels that covered it. I looked into it hoping for more, but needed a more deluxe TV package to get the rest. And even out of the 3 channels I got, 2 of them only covered Olympics in the middle of the night. I did record some of them and saw a couple matches of fences, rowing, water polo, bronze medal match of ping pong, and a game of handball. I was a little disappointed when handball wasn't a big red ball against a wall like elementary school.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”