Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

Free said:
    Couched within this quote from the article is a frightening thought:

"For low-information voters who've not been glued to politics for a year like myself and many of you, who's just tuning in a few months before Election Day—who's going to sound more appealing?"

The idea being that low information voter could have a lot of influence in the outcome. Hmmm, I think that would prove my point that if Trump is elected, America gets what it deserves.

I'm still not convinced that as a whole we that THAT friggin' stupid!
    There are so many TV ads lined up, ready to run, there won't be anyone left without some opinion of Donald Trump... if that even exists today.
    Maybe. Although I think the average American hit's the mute button and runs for the cheese doodles during the break from their mindless TV shows. (No one here of course!!)
    That's an excellent point...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

Free said:
    Couched within this quote from the article is a frightening thought:

"For low-information voters who've not been glued to politics for a year like myself and many of you, who's just tuning in a few months before Election Day—who's going to sound more appealing?"

The idea being that low information voter could have a lot of influence in the outcome. Hmmm, I think that would prove my point that if Trump is elected, America gets what it deserves.

I'm still not convinced that as a whole we that THAT friggin' stupid!
    There are so many TV ads lined up, ready to run, there won't be anyone left without some opinion of Donald Trump... if that even exists today.
    Maybe. Although I think the average American hit's the mute button and runs for the cheese doodles during the break from their mindless TV shows. (No one here of course!!)
    That's an excellent point...
    I wish it were not so!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    edited July 2016
    I don't agree that the mindless TV people will just mute and eat cheezy-poofs. Are you kidding? Trump's antics are exactly what those people live for! It's the ultimate reality TV show, featuring everyone's favorite reality TV celebrity. The uninformed voters are exactly who will eat this shit up and Trump knows it. That is why he is 100% playing to the lowest common denominator. He has a rapt audience in these people. And they love to vote for their favorite reality TV stars. You should see all the votes that they send into American Idol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJ_Soul said:

I didn't agree that the mindless TV people will just mute and eat cheezy-poofs. Are you kidding? Trump's antics are exactly what those people live for! It's the ultimate reality TV show, featuring everyone's favorite reality TV celebrity. The uninformed voters are exactly who will eat this shit up and Trump knows it. That is why he is 100% playing to the lowest common denominator. He has a rapt audience in these people. And they love to vote for their favorite reality TV stars. You should see all the votes that they send into American Idol.

That's why trump is going to lose in record breaking fashion.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626

PJ_Soul said:

I didn't agree that the mindless TV people will just mute and eat cheezy-poofs. Are you kidding? Trump's antics are exactly what those people live for! It's the ultimate reality TV show, featuring everyone's favorite reality TV celebrity. The uninformed voters are exactly who will eat this shit up and Trump knows it. That is why he is 100% playing to the lowest common denominator. He has a rapt audience in these people. And they love to vote for their favorite reality TV stars. You should see all the votes that they send into American Idol.

Yes... as long as the left doesn't split too much.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It's scary, the left is eager for revolution (in a totally pie-eyed an naive way IMO) and it is setting the stage for Trump to come way too close.
    People are "not worried about Trump" as though the Bush years never happened.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

It's scary, the left is eager for revolution (in a totally pie-eyed an naive way IMO) and it is setting the stage for Trump to come way too close.
    Trump will not be president. You watch.
  • Options
    Free said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you are right, but I'm not sitting back and leaving the dirty work for someone else to do, I am wading into the mire and voting for Clinton. You can thank me in November for saving your ass and doing your dirty work for you lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I hope you are right, but I'm not sitting back and leaving the dirty work for someone else to do, I am wading into the mire and voting for Clinton. You can thank me in November for saving your ass and doing your dirty work for you lol
    Not happening. Lol
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ah well...knew his endorsement was coming.
  • Options
    Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not happening. Lol
    Ignorance is bliss I guess.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The thing is though that the left has split itself into the new left and the new right. Bernie/Stein supporters on the left (or what I prefer to refer to as progressives) and Hillary supporters on the right (i.e. corporatologists).
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    the old hippie never had a chance of being POTUS but he had a good run at it.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bernie-sanders-endorses-hillary-clinton-in-new-hampshire/

Godfather.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The thing is though that the left has split itself into the new left and the new right. Bernie/Stein supporters on the left (or what I prefer to refer to as progressives) and Hillary supporters on the right (i.e. corporatologists).
    No offense, but these are your own made up categories that probably don't fit most people. 51% of US workers are employed with a company of 500+ people. And most companies greater than 50 will move to a corporate structure. So the vast majority of Americans pay their bills through the salary of a corporation. Second, I consider myself a progressive. I am pro environment, pro choice, pro LBGT rights, anti-NRA, pro progressive tax system, etc. But I also understand that we are no longer a nation of yeoman farmers as Jefferson had envisioned. So no offense, you don't get the right to split people into these neat little categories because the world is not as black and white as purists would like it to be.

I say this all with the kindest respect Brian, because I like you and think you contribute well to this forum.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not happening. Lol
    Judge as you will, plenty of people do it, doesn't make it right. If you want to vote based on fear, be my guest, so many people are, which says plenty about this country. I will never vote Hillary.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Exactly Brian.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    ...but it's always been the Machine. It merely continues...
  • Options
    Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not happening. Lol
    Judge as you will, plenty of people do it, doesn't make it right. If you want to vote based on fear, be my guest, so many people are, which says plenty about this country. I will never vote Hillary.
    Well, like I said, I will do the dirty work that you dont have the stomach to do, and I will hope that there are enough pragmatists to carry the day and prevent a president Trump, while you actively campaign for him with your opposition to Clinton.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

No offense, but these are your own made up categories that probably don't fit most people. 51% of US workers are employed with a company of 500+ people. And most companies greater than 50 will move to a corporate structure. So the vast majority of Americans pay their bills through the salary of a corporation. Second, I consider myself a progressive. I am pro environment, pro choice, pro LBGT rights, anti-NRA, pro progressive tax system, etc. But I also understand that we are no longer a nation of yeoman farmers as Jefferson had envisioned. So no offense, you don't get the right to split people into these neat little categories because the world is not as black and white as purists would like it to be.

I say this all with the kindest respect Brian, because I like you and think you contribute well to this forum.
    No offense taken. I just call it as I see it and when I am wrong, I fully admit so. If I cause offense and it is pointed out, I humbly apologize.

But in this case, I think it would take a lot to convince me that fully supporting HRC would indicate a person leaning toward corporatology or at least fearful of fully embracing their own progressiveness. Hillary is not progressive. I don't see how you can support someone who gets away with dodging the law in her job the way she did and being fully linked to Big Money and call yourself a progressive. That just doesn't add up. And just because a majority (slim at that) of people are employed by corporations doesn't make that system correct. In fact, it is fairly proven to fail by the very fact that it keeps the average person in a form of servitude, rarely rewards the creative personality, secures the wealth and power of a tiny elite and generally results in a capitalistic corporate-tied manufacturing and consumption that is a major force in driving our environment to being unsuitable for humans and other animal species to continue living out our full species life expectancy. How can we support that kind of behavior? It's madness.

As far as what I get to do or not- when it comes to stating my position or beliefs- I do have that right... so far anyway. As do you! We should be thankful for that.

And thank you for your kind words which make for good, civil dialogue. :smile:

• Options
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not happening. Lol
    Well, like I said, I will do the dirty work that you dont have the stomach to do, and I will hope that there are enough pragmatists to carry the day and prevent a president Trump, while you actively campaign for him with your opposition to Clinton.
    Your fear of there being a President Trump is mind-boggling.
  • Options
    Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not happening. Lol
    Your fear of there being a President Trump is mind-boggling.
    Mind boggling because you dont think he would be a catastrophic president or because you dont think he stands a chance at winning?
  • Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

No offense taken. I just call it as I see it and when I am wrong, I fully admit so. If I cause offense and it is pointed out, I humbly apologize.

But in this case, I think it would take a lot to convince me that fully supporting HRC would indicate a person leaning toward corporatology or at least fearful of fully embracing their own progressiveness. Hillary is not progressive. I don't see how you can support someone who gets away with dodging the law in her job the way she did and being fully linked to Big Money and call yourself a progressive. That just doesn't add up. And just because a majority (slim at that) of people are employed by corporations doesn't make that system correct. In fact, it is fairly proven to fail by the very fact that it keeps the average person in a form of servitude, rarely rewards the creative personality, secures the wealth and power of a tiny elite and generally results in a capitalistic corporate-tied manufacturing and consumption that is a major force in driving our environment to being unsuitable for humans and other animal species to continue living out our full species life expectancy. How can we support that kind of behavior? It's madness.

As far as what I get to do or not- when it comes to stating my position or beliefs- I do have that right... so far anyway. As do you! We should be thankful for that.

You use an interesting phrase... 'fully support', which I understand but do not agree with the statement. Because for me, elections are about choices. And right now we have two choices and it's very clear who is more progressive, whatever your definition of progressive is. And I would consider HRC a progressive, although admittedly not as liberal as Stein (thank God, who in my judgment is wholly unqualified to be a commander in chief) or Sanders. Is HRC my first choice? No, and that's for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with emails. But she is the best of what I have left to choose from, understanding the ramifications.

Regarding corporations, I would argue that corporations, on balance, have helped lift the quality of life in this country to heights never witnessed by mankind, for the MOST people (not all people and not just the elite). We have 401ks with matches, healthcare, dental, vision, paid vacations, PTO/sick leave, FMLA (which you in the small business world don't have to adhere to) and lots of other benefits never seen in human history. Does this mean it's perfect? No. Can it improve? Yes. Is that the definition of progress? Yes.
  • Options
    Here are the latest Trump tweets about Sanders endorsing Hillary.
    I am somewhat surprised that Bernie Sanders was not true to himself and his supporters. They are not happy that he is selling out!

To all the Bernie voters who want to stop bad trade deals & global special interests, we welcome you with open arms. People first.

Bernie sanders has abandoned his supporters by endorsing pro-war pro-TPP pro-Wall Street Crooked Hillary Clinton.

Bernie Sanders endorsing Crooked Hillary Clinton is like Occupy Wall Street endorsing Goldman Sachs.

• Options
    "Crooked Hillary Clinton"

Are we really so close to electing a buffoon that can't resist naming his adversaries with schoolyard monikers?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Are we really so close to electing a buffoon that can't resist naming his adversaries with schoolyard monikers?

It's nice to see you will do the dirty work for others by placing your spectacular single vote in opposition to Trump. :clap:

You only call him Donald Trump or Mr. Trump right?
  • Options

rgambs said:

It's nice to see you will do the dirty work for others by placing your spectacular single vote in opposition to Trump. :clap:

You only call him Donald Trump or Mr. Trump right?
    Trump or Drumpf.

Not that it is relevant at all, I am not running for the highest office in the world, I am commenting on the best rock band in the world's fanclub website.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You use an interesting phrase... 'fully support', which I understand but do not agree with the statement. Because for me, elections are about choices. And right now we have two choices and it's very clear who is more progressive, whatever your definition of progressive is. And I would consider HRC a progressive, although admittedly not as liberal as Stein (thank God, who in my judgment is wholly unqualified to be a commander in chief) or Sanders. Is HRC my first choice? No, and that's for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with emails. But she is the best of what I have left to choose from, understanding the ramifications.

Regarding corporations, I would argue that corporations, on balance, have helped lift the quality of life in this country to heights never witnessed by mankind, for the MOST people (not all people and not just the elite). We have 401ks with matches, healthcare, dental, vision, paid vacations, PTO/sick leave, FMLA (which you in the small business world don't have to adhere to) and lots of other benefits never seen in human history. Does this mean it's perfect? No. Can it improve? Yes. Is that the definition of progress? Yes.
    And this takes us back to my premise that an anthropocentric viewpoint is, in the long run, detrimental to both our species natural longevity and that of many other species. That's not to say that technology, which is the fuel of corporations, is in-of-itself a bad thing. Technology, for example, is being used to rapidly increase our understanding of biodiversity which is a key component in understanding how human impact is affecting overall diversity and health of life on the planet. But when technology is viewed strictly from a viewpoint of "what do we humans have to gain from it", without taking into consideration our impact on environment, we do ourselves in in the long run as a result. I think people like Stein (for sure) and Sanders (probably) understand these concept. I doubt someone like Hillary gives it much thought. I would go so far as to say the truly progressive mind set is informed by a biocentric viewpoint.

• Options
    P.S. I, being a self-imposed work slave, must go tend to my appointed tasks. Will look forward to jumping back in here later this evening. :smile:

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Not happening. Lol
    Bernie would be proud.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana