jeffbr said:

fife said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

I hope we all realize that you can vote for Clinton and still seek to accomplish everything else mentioned.
    Gerrymandering is tough, the GOP has the congressional races nearly locked up, millions more votes will be cast for progressives than conservatives and the cons will still clean up.

I will be voting for the most progressive candidate THAT HAS A CHANCE OF WINNING from the bottom of the ticket to the top.
    Voting for unicorns and fairies will not lead to progress, it will lead to regression.
    Blowing it up with a radical change of direction just isn't going to happen, we have to keep plugging away with the best we've got or we will slip back into the dark days of conservative dominance.

this is how you got into this mess to begin with ... and this is how they will continue to keep you in this mess ... the establishment rules ...
    What mess? Our poorest citizens live like kings compared to half the world.
    And what alternative do you suggest? Should we take up arms and storm the capital of the most free and comfortable nation in history because we could be a little more free and comfortable?

The will to blow up the "establishment" simply does not exist, no matter how hard you wish upon a star.
    the most free and comfortable nation in history probably sums it up nicely ... why not throw in a U-S-A chant while you're at it!? ... willful ignorance ... just salute your troops and stand for the flag and all is well in this world ... sure, I get the fact you guys don't give a rats ass about people around the world you're affecting ... but thumping your chest now is just disgraceful ...

I do understand the will to blow up the establishment does not exist ... how can it when people actually think voting for either clinton or trump is a good thing? ...

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

I hope we all realize that you can vote for Clinton and still seek to accomplish everything else mentioned.
    Gerrymandering is tough, the GOP has the congressional races nearly locked up, millions more votes will be cast for progressives than conservatives and the cons will still clean up.

I will be voting for the most progressive candidate THAT HAS A CHANCE OF WINNING from the bottom of the ticket to the top.
    Voting for unicorns and fairies will not lead to progress, it will lead to regression.
    Blowing it up with a radical change of direction just isn't going to happen, we have to keep plugging away with the best we've got or we will slip back into the dark days of conservative dominance.

this is how you got into this mess to begin with ... and this is how they will continue to keep you in this mess ... the establishment rules ...
    And what alternative do you suggest? Should we take up arms and storm the capital of the most free and comfortable nation in history because we could be a little more free and comfortable?

The will to blow up the "establishment" simply does not exist, no matter how hard you wish upon a star.
    the most free and comfortable nation in history probably sums it up nicely ... why not throw in a U-S-A chant while you're at it!? ... willful ignorance ... just salute your troops and stand for the flag and all is well in this world ... sure, I get the fact you guys don't give a rats ass about people around the world you're affecting ... but thumping your chest now is just disgraceful ...

I do understand the will to blow up the establishment does not exist ... how can it when people actually think voting for either clinton or trump is a good thing? ...

I don't salute the troops or stand for the flag. I don't support the troops at all, I consider them to be willing participants in organized crime, or pathetically ignorant pawns.
    I don't support our foreign incursions or worldwide distribution of weapons of war.

I do, however, live in the real world where shit happens and we do the best we can. If there was a presidential candidate that would end our war crimes who had even a slim chance of winning I would be thrilled.
    There isn't.

I'm not casting my vote for a unicorn and letting a dragon into the castle just because it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
    I think Sanders was the closest we had- Although I don't think it would have been possible to simply pullout from one day to the next, however he would have probably done a better job of apologizing to the world and also made every attempt to end wars. It would be a progressive approach and open/honest approach.

Americans as a whole are tired of war. Expect for those that want to destroy "radical Islam"
    Can you really say that americans as a whole are tired of war when you have a guy running who talks about bombing countries and could be president?
    I haven't seen any indication that either major party is tired of war. That what keeps the beltway economy running.
    easy to just say major party but is not true that americans themselves don't get tired of wars? ofcourse not all of them but alot
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    tonifig8 said:

fife said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

I don't salute the troops or stand for the flag. I don't support the troops at all, I consider them to be willing participants in organized crime, or pathetically ignorant pawns.
    I don't support our foreign incursions or worldwide distribution of weapons of war.

I do, however, live in the real world where shit happens and we do the best we can. If there was a presidential candidate that would end our war crimes who had even a slim chance of winning I would be thrilled.
    There isn't.

I'm not casting my vote for a unicorn and letting a dragon into the castle just because it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
    I think Sanders was the closest we had- Although I don't think it would have been possible to simply pullout from one day to the next, however he would have probably done a better job of apologizing to the world and also made every attempt to end wars. It would be a progressive approach and open/honest approach.

Americans as a whole are tired of war. Expect for those that want to destroy "radical Islam"
    Can you really say that americans as a whole are tired of war when you have a guy running who talks about bombing countries and could be president?
    I think the poles have shown consistently that the majority are tired of war, with the exception of those extremist who want to destroy "radical Islam". Some of my friends are republicans and they don't want war. They do want an end to "radical Islam".

The guy running as president isn't going to bomb anyone, however he is demonstrating muscle, something that a lot of Americans feel we aren't showing anymore. I complete disagree with flexing muscle, being the world police, and anything that has to do with aggression. The interesting thing about this guy is that he also wants to cut funding/handouts for many of these country's. So it almost seems as if he's using common sense. No wars, except for those that are attacking our interest and he wants cut funding because apparently America is broke. On the surface, you can't necessarily disagree with that (I disagree with war/aggression). There are a shitload of people who support that type of agenda.
    So I view Trump in a different light. He has vowed to rebuild the military and consistently rails on Obama for not spending enough militarily. On the other hand, he's saying x countries need to contribute more to NATO, or that Japan needs to pay more. See, for him, it's transactional in nature; how a businessman sees the world. "This isn't a good deal because I'm contributing x, but this person is only in for y". It's not about how Nato is the historical bulwark against Russia and how it's kept the peace in Europe for 70 years (a monumental achievement). It's about getting ripped off.
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    fife said:

tonifig8 said:

fife said:

tonifig8 said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

There isn't.

I think the poles have shown consistently that the majority are tired of war, with the exception of those extremist who want to destroy "radical Islam". Some of my friends are republicans and they don't want war. They do want an end to "radical Islam".

The guy running as president isn't going to bomb anyone, however he is demonstrating muscle, something that a lot of Americans feel we aren't showing anymore. I complete disagree with flexing muscle, being the world police, and anything that has to do with aggression. The interesting thing about this guy is that he also wants to cut funding/handouts for many of these country's. So it almost seems as if he's using common sense. No wars, except for those that are attacking our interest and he wants cut funding because apparently America is broke. On the surface, you can't necessarily disagree with that (I disagree with war/aggression). There are a shitload of people who support that type of agenda.
    concerning what i bolded and underlined, can you tell me who determines what "our interest" is?
    The comment was made from a perspective of a Trump supporter. In general I would assume that someone such as yourself would very well know where the country's interest are, and with a deeper insight. In my views it depends on the agenda of said administration, however there are core values and ideals that have been a part of our history which still represent us as a nation. Business, spreading democracy, security, freedom, resources, and building better networks that benefit America (arguably only the wealthy) would be the general standard. We the people elect a president in hopes that she/he builds a solid administration that carries out this agenda and some.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited September 2016
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

What a joke. Tell us how you would possibly know this. You have no idea how bad exactly is for those not able to make a living wage in the richest country in the world.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

What a joke. Tell us how you would possibly know this. You have no idea how bad exactly is for those not able to make a living wage in the richest country in the world.
    Branco Milanovic, the World Bank’s main man on global inequality: says that America’s bottom ventile is still richer than most of the world: That is, the typical person in the bottom 5 percent of the American income distribution is still richer than 68 percent of the world’s inhabitants.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

Great post.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    fife said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

Branco Milanovic, the World Bank’s main man on global inequality: says that America’s bottom ventile is still richer than most of the world: That is, the typical person in the bottom 5 percent of the American income distribution is still richer than 68 percent of the world’s inhabitants.
    So living in the streets is better than living in the dirt. How about how the rest of middle and upper US society treat said person living on the street? Kicked? Ignored? Is that all better than starving with hundreds of others in Africa?
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

So living in the streets is better than living in the dirt.
    I didn't say that. both are unacceptable. I don't agree that americans poorest citizens live like kings compared to half the world.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Did you ever think this isn't about winning? It's not about being on the winning side? This isn't a football game. We should vote for our values not according to who's going to win and lose.
  • Options
    fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

I didn't say that. both are unacceptable. I don't agree that americans poorest citizens live like kings compared to half the world.
    Explain please how they live like kings.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

Hahaha you don't know shit about me. I grew up poor, by American standards. We ate bologna for days and wore clothes with holes all throughout, the utilities came and went at times. When shit got bad enough we went on foodstamps.
    Yeah, foodstamps, those lucky little things that the government provides so that starvation is pretty much non-existent in the U.S..

You talk about people on the streets? Ha! They have access to food, water, and shelter more often than not, and free life-saving health care to boot.
    I'm not saying nodoby has it rough, but, yes, being on the street is one hundred times better than being in the dirt.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

I don't think they live like kings and said that above but i will say that being poor is more than just an economical issue. I will give you an example from my life and my work if that is ok?

I work with people who live with HIV or AIDS in Toronto Canada. many of my clients are new comers from around the world but most come from Africa. some of my clients live on the streets but they still have access to medical treatment for their health. in their home country, they would not have that health care. when they come to Canada, they talk about how they are so happy to have this help because back home, they would be dead already. to a person in Africa, Canadians live like kings even if they are on the streets.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

Hahaha you don't know shit about me. I grew up poor, by American standards. We ate bologna for days and wore clothes with holes all throughout, the utilities came and went at times. When shit got bad enough we went on foodstamps.
    Yeah, foodstamps, those lucky little things that the government provides so that starvation is pretty much non-existent in the U.S..

You talk about people on the streets? Ha! They have access to food, water, and shelter more often than not, and free life-saving health care to boot.
    I'm not saying nodoby has it rough, but, yes, being on the street is one hundred times better than being in the dirt.
    What has this place come to when we talk about how good the poor have it in this country?

We are the richest country in the world we shouldn't have anyone living below the poverty line.
    More than 45 million people, or 14.5 percent of all Americans, lived below the poverty line last year, the Census Bureau reported on Tuesday.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=US+statistics+population+below+poverty+line&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Edit:
    What is the winning US candidate going to do about the 45 million people not able to make a living wage? No one knows because she doesn't talk about it. Nor does she talk about the middle class and their problems. She'd rather help big banks and corporations and other special interests. The middle class and those struggling is not of importance to her. That's why Bernie has such a large following: because he represented the lower class. He identified with the average struggling American, something Hilary has never even tried to do.

Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

sadly that is not always the case in Canada for our first nations people.
  • Options
    fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

I don't think they live like kings and said that above but i will say that being poor is more than just an economical issue. I will give you an example from my life and my work if that is ok?

I work with people who live with HIV or AIDS in Toronto Canada. many of my clients are new comers from around the world but most come from Africa. some of my clients live on the streets but they still have access to medical treatment for their health. in their home country, they would not have that health care. when they come to Canada, they talk about how they are so happy to have this help because back home, they would be dead already. to a person in Africa, Canadians live like kings even if they are on the streets.
    Yes, I have heard about this and it should be commended. Canada is way ahead of the US when it comes to healthcare for all.

Defending living conditions for those who can't make a living wages though? It's ass backwards when we're living in a country (US) where we're debating which 1%er should preside this country.
  • Options
    Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

Yes, I have heard about this and it should be commended. Canada is way ahead of the US when it comes to healthcare for all.

Defending living conditions for those who can't make a living wages though? It's ass backwards when we're living in a country (US) where we're debating which 1%er should preside this country.
    The argument isnt' whether we need to do more to uplift the lower class to middle class, and also raise up what it means to be middle class. I think anyone would be hard pressed to argue that point. I think the original statement was around "blowing up" the system. I guess the question is what does that mean? Revolution? Anarchy? Or more progressive reform through our existing political system of representational democracy?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited September 2016
    There are a LOT of homeless people in Vancouver and Victoria because it's the only place in Canada that is consistently warm enough in the winters... and I will say that it looks like fucking living hell, and about 65% of them have mental illness. I see no need to compare the poverty stricken people in North America to the poverty stricken people elsewhere because i prefer not to use rock bottom as my measuring stick. That there is any poverty at all in North America is disgusting, let alone homelessness among the mentally ill. Hard working people with families still live in poverty in North America, and that is unacceptable ... so now it's time to turn our attention to how shockingly extreme the uneven distribution of wealth is in our society. It's disgusting.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Free said:

rgambs said:

Did you ever think this isn't about winning? It's not about being on the winning side? This isn't a football game. We should vote for our values not according to who's going to win and lose.
    Do the byproducts of football games' results include losing major tax income from America's wealthiest, severing friendly or neutral foreign relationships with often-volatile regimes, producing race/religion-driven tensions? This isn't a football game: the stakes are very fucking real. There is absolutely a winner in this race, and who that winner is will alter the future of many humans. Yes, to be forced to ignore our collective consciences is a tragic sign of the failure of the American democracy, but to vote our consciences with such grave stakes is actually selfish, in my opinion.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

There are a LOT of homeless people in Vancouver and Victoria because it's the only place in Canada that is consistently warm enough in the winters... and I will say that it looks like fucking living hell, and about 65% of them have mental illness. I see no need to compare the poverty stricken people in North America to the poverty stricken people elsewhere because i prefer not to use rock bottom as my measuring stick. That there is any poverty at all in North America is disgusting, let alone homelessness among the mentally ill. Hard working people with families still live in poverty in North America, and that is unacceptable ... so now it's time to turn our attention to how shockingly extreme the uneven distribution of wealth is in our society. It's disgusting.

Yet the candidate everyone wants us to vote for is the one who doesn't give a shit about the homeless, the struggling to make a living wage, the lower middle class even.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited September 2016
    Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yet the candidate everyone wants us to vote for is the one who doesn't give a shit about the homeless, the struggling to make a living wage, the lower middle class even.
    Neither of the viable candidates do. Nothing to do about that now. You have to wait until the next election. For now, just keeping Trump out of office is the best case scenario.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Eh. Still not afraid of a narcissistic clown.
  • Options
    Free said:

I'm not either but I'm always reminded that gwb won reelection and realize that shit happens.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Free said:

Why not?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

Neither of the viable candidates do. Nothing to do about that now. You have to wait until the next election. For now, just keeping Trump out of office is the best case scenario.
    Just to be postive, I will say that there are things that can be done and that is demanding that things change. Demand that local government do something to change the lives of the poor and lower middle class and if they don't then run for local office. Volunteer for non profits that works with the poor. While yes it won't solve everything it a start and we need people for this
  • Options
    I vote with my values, I will never vote for Hillary Who represents corruption, the 1%, Wall St., and mostly, against the people.
  • Options
    Funny how you mention those less fortunate and barely able to make ends meet, those that Hillery does not support, and there's nothing but silence.

But mention that you're not voting for Hillary and you get people after you. Again, I am independent, and the fear of a ridiculous Trump presidency does not scare me. Most third-party people don't buy into the scare tactics, they don't buy that we have to vote the lesser of two evils. We are independent thinkers, that's the point.
  • Options
    Free said:

Funny how you mention those less fortunate and barely able to make ends meet, those that Hillery does not support, and there's nothing but silence.

But mention that you're not voting for Hillary and you get people after you. Again, I am independent, and the fear of a ridiculous Trump presidency does not scare me. Most third-party people don't buy into the scare tactics, they don't buy that we have to vote the lesser of two evils. We are independent thinkers, that's the point.

No one says anything because it's a provocative statement. What did Bernie pledge to do for the poor in this country that is diametrically opposed to Hillary's positions?
  • Options
    Free said:

Just a tip, don't assume that people voting for hillary are not independent thinkers. When you do that, you are attacking people the same way that they are attacking you. Also, to be honest, I have never heard any person running for president ever talk about homeless people and that includes Bernie.

Politicians always talk about the middle class, cause most Americans believe that they are middle class even if they r not
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    fife said:

Free said:

Just a tip, don't assume that people voting for hillary are not independent thinkers. When you do that, you are attacking people the same way that they are attacking you. Also, to be honest, I have never heard any person running for president ever talk about homeless people and that includes Bernie.

Politicians always talk about the middle class, cause most Americans believe that they are middle class even if they r not
    Ok. But I am a registered Independent and that's what I meant. Sure some Independents are voting for Hillary and that's their prerogative, their choice. I am just trying to describe that I think differently than bipartisan thinkers.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

Ok. But I am a registered independent and that's what I meant. Sure some independence are voting for Hillary and that's their prerogative, their choice. I am just trying to describe that I think differently than bipartisan thinkers.
    For me, politicians need to be more honest with the people but the people also have to accept that they will not like everything that they are told.

For example, during the debate the question was asked what they were going to bring the job back from overseas and I wish someone said that those jobs are not coming back cause they aren't but could you imagne if anyone said that?