Options

Bernie Sanders

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Could Bernie Sanders Win the Presidency as a Write-In Candidate?

http://www.snopes.com/2016/10/15/bernie-sanders-as-a-write-in-candidate/#

I think Evan Mcmullin has a better chance honestly. If he wins Utah and there is a tie, a GOP House is far more likely to vote him vs Sanders. Both have chances less than 1% of course.
    Oh but wouldn't it be sweet if Bernie won!!!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Andrew Sullivan and Bernie getting into it on Bill Maher
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited October 2016
    http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/10/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders

THE AWKWARD HILLARY-BERNIE ALLIANCE IS ALREADY UNRAVELING
    The erstwhile presidential hopeful is flexing his muscles to push a more progressive policy agenda.
    Since ceding the Democratic nomination to Hillary Clinton in July, Bernie Sanders has played nice, mostly. His brutal primary battle with the former secretary of state notwithstanding, the Vermont senator put aside his differences with his onetime rival for the betterment of the Democratic Party. Amid fears that “Bernie bros” would flock en masse to Donald Trump’s campaign after Clinton clinched her spot on the presidential ticket, the popular Vermont senator swallowed his pride and dutifully stepped into the role of campaign surrogate. But now, as Trump trails Clinton by double-digit margins in multiple national polls and all signs point to a blowout, the erstwhile presidential hopeful is emerging once again as a potential threat.

With two weeks to go until Election Day, Sanders is already working to pressure a Clinton White House to adopt his progressive agenda. For months, a coalition of left-leaning Democrats led by Elizabeth Warren has reportedly been leaning on Clinton to keep overly business-friendly allies out of her Cabinet. But Sanders, for his part, has remained mostly silent on the issue—until now. During an interview with The Washington Post, Sanders made it clear that he, too, intends to flex his muscles over crucial hires. If Clinton tries to stock her Cabinet with the “same old, same old Wall Street guys,” Sanders said, “I will be vigorously in opposition, and I will make that very clear.” And the senator has no plans to stop there.

From the moment he endorsed Clinton, Sanders’s support for Clinton has been contingent on his former rival adopting a number of the more popular policy proposals that fueled his primary campaign. Onstage at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, the former First Lady asserted that she would embrace the Democratic Party’s platform and a number of policies key to Sanders’s campaign, including—but not limited to—a $15 federal minimum wage, free college tuition, Wall Street reform, and ending mass incarceration. Despite skepticism among progressives that Clinton will hold to her pledge, Sanders told the Post, “right now, as I see it, that platform is where Clinton is at, where I am at, where the vast majority of Democrats are at, and that is what is we’ve got to implement,” and added that he has “a lot of leverage, leverage that I intend to use.”

Since becoming the Democratic nominee, Clinton has maneuvered to court centrist, “Never Trump” Republicans, and has signaled that she intends to work with the G.O.P. if elected president. But Clinton’s pledge to “to get things done” hasn’t gone over well with Democrats like Sanders. “It’s not good enough for me, or anybody, to say, ‘Well look, Republicans control the House: From Day 1, we’re going to have to compromise,’ ” Sanders told the Post. “The Democratic Party, before they start compromising, has got to rally the American people around our ideas and make it clear that if Republicans do not go along with reasonable ideas to benefit the middle class and the working class, they are going to pay a very heavy political price.” And if the Democrats win a majority in the Senate, the belligerent Vermont senator is poised to become chairman of the Budget Committee, meaning he would be an even more powerful force to be reckoned with in Congress.

As Washington insiders begin to look beyond November 8, it is becoming increasingly clear that Clinton will be fighting both sides of the aisle should she triumph over Trump. For months, the iconoclastic politician dodged questions about his disagreements with Clinton and even brushed off insults thrown his way by the Clinton campaign, which were revealed in a series of e-mails released by WikiLeaks. But now, as the Republican nominee’s path to victory narrows, new battle lines are emerging, with Sanders reasserting himself as a liberal counterweight to Clinton’s centrism. When asked about the e-mails by the Post, Sanders responded candidly. “Trust me, if they went into our emails—I suppose which may happen, who knows—I’m sure there would be statements that would be less than flattering about, you know, the Clinton staff,” he said. “That’s what happens in campaigns.”
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I sincerely hope Sanders has a lot of influence in this administration.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Depends how much cash Bernie is willing to fork over...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    lukin2006 said:

Depends how much cash Bernie is willing to fork over...

she wants that email list.
    She better hire some Russian hackers.
  • Options
    Free said:

The erstwhile presidential hopeful is flexing his muscles to push a more progressive policy agenda.

Since ceding the Democratic nomination to Hillary Clinton in July, Bernie Sanders has played nice, mostly. His brutal primary battle with the former secretary of state notwithstanding, the Vermont senator put aside his differences with his onetime rival for the betterment of the Democratic Party. Amid fears that “Bernie bros” would flock en masse to Donald Trump’s campaign after Clinton clinched her spot on the presidential ticket, the popular Vermont senator swallowed his pride and dutifully stepped into the role of campaign surrogate. But now, as Trump trails Clinton by double-digit margins in multiple national polls and all signs point to a blowout, the erstwhile presidential hopeful is emerging once again as a potential threat.

With two weeks to go until Election Day, Sanders is already working to pressure a Clinton White House to adopt his progressive agenda. For months, a coalition of left-leaning Democrats led by Elizabeth Warren has reportedly been leaning on Clinton to keep overly business-friendly allies out of her Cabinet. But Sanders, for his part, has remained mostly silent on the issue—until now. During an interview with The Washington Post, Sanders made it clear that he, too, intends to flex his muscles over crucial hires. If Clinton tries to stock her Cabinet with the “same old, same old Wall Street guys,” Sanders said, “I will be vigorously in opposition, and I will make that very clear.” And the senator has no plans to stop there.

From the moment he endorsed Clinton, Sanders’s support for Clinton has been contingent on his former rival adopting a number of the more popular policy proposals that fueled his primary campaign. Onstage at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, the former First Lady asserted that she would embrace the Democratic Party’s platform and a number of policies key to Sanders’s campaign, including—but not limited to—a $15 federal minimum wage, free college tuition, Wall Street reform, and ending mass incarceration. Despite skepticism among progressives that Clinton will hold to her pledge, Sanders told the Post, “right now, as I see it, that platform is where Clinton is at, where I am at, where the vast majority of Democrats are at, and that is what is we’ve got to implement,” and added that he has “a lot of leverage, leverage that I intend to use.”

Since becoming the Democratic nominee, Clinton has maneuvered to court centrist, “Never Trump” Republicans, and has signaled that she intends to work with the G.O.P. if elected president. But Clinton’s pledge to “to get things done” hasn’t gone over well with Democrats like Sanders. “It’s not good enough for me, or anybody, to say, ‘Well look, Republicans control the House: From Day 1, we’re going to have to compromise,’ ” Sanders told the Post. “The Democratic Party, before they start compromising, has got to rally the American people around our ideas and make it clear that if Republicans do not go along with reasonable ideas to benefit the middle class and the working class, they are going to pay a very heavy political price.” And if the Democrats win a majority in the Senate, the belligerent Vermont senator is poised to become chairman of the Budget Committee, meaning he would be an even more powerful force to be reckoned with in Congress.

As Washington insiders begin to look beyond November 8, it is becoming increasingly clear that Clinton will be fighting both sides of the aisle should she triumph over Trump. For months, the iconoclastic politician dodged questions about his disagreements with Clinton and even brushed off insults thrown his way by the Clinton campaign, which were revealed in a series of e-mails released by WikiLeaks. But now, as the Republican nominee’s path to victory narrows, new battle lines are emerging, with Sanders reasserting himself as a liberal counterweight to Clinton’s centrism. When asked about the e-mails by the Post, Sanders responded candidly. “Trust me, if they went into our emails—I suppose which may happen, who knows—I’m sure there would be statements that would be less than flattering about, you know, the Clinton staff,” he said. “That’s what happens in campaigns.”
    This was actually some positive news. Finally.
    I'm guessing once in office she'll just shut the door on both those wackos. :anguished:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    tonifig8 said:

Free said:

This was actually some positive news. Finally.
    I'm guessing once in office she'll just shut the door on both those wackos. :anguished:

Warren will not stay quiet about Wall St., we can bet on that.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/32693

Bernie at the DSCC retreat (sunbathing pic attached)
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Bernie supporting Hilliary, does he know how her campaign talked about smearing him, crushing him and where to stick the knife in him?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JC29856 said:

Bernie supporting Hilliary, does he know how her campaign talked about smearing him, crushing him and where to stick the knife in him?

Yes, he does.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    JC29856 said:

It's politics, rookie.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

It's politics, rookie.
    Haha that reminds me of the Always Sunny episode where Dennis runs for office.
    "That's politics, bitch!"

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."

Sounds like one of Trump's better speeches lol
  • Options
    "YOUR VOTES AND VOICES WERE PRE-DESTINED TO NEVER EVEN HAVE A FUCKING CHANCE AT MAKING THE DIFFERENCE"

HRC and DWS planned Dem convention location together in early 2015

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/44761
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761

I sincerely hope Sanders has a lot of influence in this administration.

My prediction: Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee if the Dems win the Senate
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
  • Options
    tonifig8 said:

"YOUR VOTES AND VOICES WERE PRE-DESTINED TO NEVER EVEN HAVE A FUCKING CHANCE AT MAKING THE DIFFERENCE"

Did Phila give HRC an advantage?
    Was Sanders involved in the planning?

This isn't news, it's an inane waste of time.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Bernie was paid for with a private jet...Hillbilly owns him now.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Astute, complex, sophisticated, classy, intelligent, dignified, well- referenced...
    This might be the first perfect post on the AMT!
    Bravo!
    :clap:
  • Options

tonifig8 said:

Yet, most on here believe the election process is not rigged. :rofl:
  • Options
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Astute, complex, sophisticated, classy, intelligent, dignified, well- referenced...
    Bravo!
    Your welcome?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Bravo!
    Your welcome?
    My welcome?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Bravo!
    Your welcome?
    My welcome?
    Everyone's welcome?
  • Options
    Bernie Sanders who? Isn't he that Socialist dude that was once trying to win the democratic party's endorsement that has turned into a Clinton cheerleader?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    PJPOWER said:

Bernie Sanders who? Isn't he that Socialist dude that was once trying to win the democratic party's endorsement that has turned into a Clinton cheerleader?

As the great Ted Dibiase once said, everybody has a price.

I wonder what deal Joe Biden cut to not jump into the race? Should be pretty sweet I think.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Jason P said:

PJPOWER said:

I wonder what deal Joe Biden cut to not jump into the race? Should be pretty sweet I think.
    you are correct on this assessment...

and well Bernie was given some beach front property or a back scratcher no sure which one yet
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    pjalive21 said:

Jason P said:

PJPOWER said:

you are correct on this assessment...

and well Bernie was given some beach front property or a back scratcher no sure which one yet
    :rofl:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2016
    did the Clinton people have some dirt on Bernie? We're they threatening him?

From /r/wikileaks Podesta Email 47397
    Following up on our call on Friday, just wanted to give some updates and flag that Bernie went after HRC and WJC on wealth (including using the word “hustle.)
    This isn't in keeping w the agreement. Since we clearly have some leverage, would be good to flag this for him. I could send a signal via Welch--or did you establish a direct line w him?
    Post edited by Boxes&Books on
  • Options
    tonifig8 said:

did the Clinton people have some dirty on Bernie? We're they threatening him?

From /r/wikileaks Podesta Email 47397
    Following up on our call on Friday, just wanted to give some updates and flag that Bernie went after HRC and WJC on wealth (including using the word “hustle.)
    This isn't in keeping w the agreement. Since we clearly have some leverage, would be good to flag this for him. I could send a signal via Welch--or did you establish a direct line w him?

Things that make you go hmmmm...