Options

Bernie Sanders

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,751
    This discussion about the poor has gotten a bit convoluted so excuse me if I don't respond directly to anyone's statements here.

If we are going to talk about the poor in America I think we would do well to look at it from the perspective of this nations resources and wealth. Relative to the resources and wealth that exist in this country, there is very little if any reason anyone should be suffering here and there are, indeed, poverty stricken people here who are suffering.

It's too bad Bernie got voted out because, well, just think about the difference he would have made for those here living in poverty compared to what those other two would do.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

Funny how you mention those less fortunate and barely able to make ends meet, those that Hillery does not support, and there's nothing but silence.

But mention that you're not voting for Hillary and you get people after you. Again, I am independent, and the fear of a ridiculous Trump presidency does not scare me. Most third-party people don't buy into the scare tactics, they don't buy that we have to vote the lesser of two evils. We are independent thinkers, that's the point.

Just a tip, don't assume that people voting for hillary are not independent thinkers. When you do that, you are attacking people the same way that they are attacking you. Also, to be honest, I have never heard any person running for president ever talk about homeless people and that includes Bernie.

Politicians always talk about the middle class, cause most Americans believe that they are middle class even if they r not
    Ok. But I am a registered independent and that's what I meant. Sure some independence are voting for Hillary and that's their prerogative, their choice. I am just trying to describe that I think differently than bipartisan thinkers.
    For me, politicians need to be more honest with the people but the people also have to accept that they will not like everything that they are told.

For example, during the debate the question was asked what they were going to bring the job back from overseas and I wish someone said that those jobs are not coming back cause they aren't but could you imagne if anyone said that?
    The first paragraph - true. The jobs aren't coming back from overseas because it is a loophole that there is a tax break for any company who outsources jobs. Every few years the bill gets reexamined and every time the Republicans reject it.
  • Options
    fife said:

Free said:

Eh. Still not afraid of a narcissistic clown.

I'm not either but I'm always reminded that gwb won reelection and realize that shit happens.
    In 2000, Gore won the popular vote, yet when the media raced to announce the winner, they proclaimed GWB the winner. It's rigged. It's one of the reasons why I don't buy the fear factor.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,645
    fife said:

Free said:

fife said:

Free said:

Funny how you mention those less fortunate and barely able to make ends meet, those that Hillery does not support, and there's nothing but silence.

But mention that you're not voting for Hillary and you get people after you. Again, I am independent, and the fear of a ridiculous Trump presidency does not scare me. Most third-party people don't buy into the scare tactics, they don't buy that we have to vote the lesser of two evils. We are independent thinkers, that's the point.

Just a tip, don't assume that people voting for hillary are not independent thinkers. When you do that, you are attacking people the same way that they are attacking you. Also, to be honest, I have never heard any person running for president ever talk about homeless people and that includes Bernie.

Politicians always talk about the middle class, cause most Americans believe that they are middle class even if they r not
    Ok. But I am a registered independent and that's what I meant. Sure some independence are voting for Hillary and that's their prerogative, their choice. I am just trying to describe that I think differently than bipartisan thinkers.
    For me, politicians need to be more honest with the people but the people also have to accept that they will not like everything that they are told.

For example, during the debate the question was asked what they were going to bring the job back from overseas and I wish someone said that those jobs are not coming back cause they aren't but could you imagne if anyone said that?
    Bruce told us so in Hometown... He was honest about it. Labor is always going to chase the cheapest market. That's just a fact.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

This discussion about the poor has gotten a bit convoluted so excuse me if I don't respond directly to anyone's statements here.

If we are going to talk about the poor in America I think we would do well to look at it from the perspective of this nations resources and wealth. Relative to the resources and wealth that exist in this country, there is very little if any reason anyone should be suffering here and there are, indeed, poverty stricken people here who are suffering.

It's too bad Bernie got voted out because, well, just think about the difference he would have made for those here living in poverty compared to what those other two would do.

Agreed, Brian.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

Can you please distinguish Bernie's plan for the poor and indigent compared to Hillary's? Please?

Because if my memory serves me correct, Hillary was very on board with Clyburn's 10/20/30 plan several months ago. Did Bernie have an alternate one? I'm asking because I don't remember it.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

Can you please distinguish Bernie's plan for the poor and indigent compared to Hillary's? Please?
    It's not that simple. Not at all a simple a/b/c plan. Has more to do with caring about the average person, a more equitable and fair nation rather than being a tool for wealthy corporations. Night and day. But I'm guessing you already knew all that so I'll apologize in advance for not fully satisfying your request.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

It's not that simple. Not at all a simple a/b/c plan. Has more to do with caring about the average person, a more equitable and fair nation rather than being a tool for wealthy corporations. Night and day. But I'm guessing you already knew all that so I'll apologize in advance for not fully satisfying your request.
    No. Clyburn and Clinton actually have a plan. It's called 10/20/30. It's a real chance to lift people out of poverty, not just rhetoric, sympathy and empathy.

https://clyburn.house.gov/10-20-30-amendment
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

No. Clyburn and Clinton actually have a plan. It's called 10/20/30. It's a real chance to lift people out of poverty, not just rhetoric, sympathy and empathy.

I don't see Hillary mentioned anywhere there but from what is says there, it seems like a good plan. I still think Bernie would have helped build a more equitable society but moot point. H's out of the running. I just like it that he seemed to really care. Hillary and Trump only seem to care about saying whatever it takes to get elected, carry on with status quo, on and on, the slow wreckage, yeah that's how I see it.

• Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

I don't see Hillary mentioned anywhere there but from what is says there, it seems like a good plan. I still think Bernie would have helped build a more equitable society but moot point. H's out of the running. I just like it that he seemed to really care. Hillary and Trump only seem to care about saying whatever it takes to get elected, carry on with status quo, on and on, the slow wreckage, yeah that's how I see it.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/clinton-paul-ryan-poverty-plan-227207

Bipartisan in fact
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

Bipartisan in fact
    Yeah, I noticed that. Not long from now, when they fully merge, it will be the new unipartisan vs everybody else.

• Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

Well said, Sir.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

Bipartisan in fact
    Yeah, I noticed that. Not long from now, when they fully merge, it will be the new unipartisan vs everybody else.
    That's an interesting take on working together, particularly when you complimented the plan.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

Bipartisan in fact
    That's an interesting take on working together, particularly when you complimented the plan.
    It sounds good on the surface but, well, also just typical of my distrust of the Demopublican coalition, so to speak. I find myself further and further outside that box.

• Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    brianlux said:

Im sorry to tell you this but Bernie would not have made a difference for those living in poverty. In your political system, the president in 1 part of thr process. Bernie would need the house and congress to pass the things he wanted. Bernie ideas were great but lets not pretend that many of them would have been passed with the way the congress and the house were.

• Options
    fife said:

brianlux said:

Im sorry to tell you this but Bernie would not have made a difference for those living in poverty. In your political system, the president in 1 part of thr process. Bernie would need the house and congress to pass the things he wanted. Bernie ideas were great but lets not pretend that many of them would have been passed with the way the congress and the house were.

I don't know what ideas he had to actually address poverty. His ideas were focused on the middle class.
  • Options
    fife said:

brianlux said:

No, that's OK, I get it. I don't think the president should be directly responsible for doing much of anything by himself. One person do all that? No. What many seem either to not know about Bernie or to have forgotten is that he didn't want to become a dictator or rule with an iron fist or make all the decisions. What he's been trying to achieve is having a better informed public, a citizenry that becomes educated about issues and involved in moving us in the direction of a more balance society and that is what would help ease poverty and a host of other issues that plague this country and this world. Rather than call all the shots, he would be a guide, our compass, our rudder and we row like hell and try to make progress. Bernie is not perfect but he is more about us as a whole that you will find in most other high level politicians.

But you have to be an idealist to accept these notions and idealism is not very popular these days. Hi ho.

• Options
    not trying to stir the pot here. I thought this was a little interesting.

http://americanintelligencereport.com/shocking-almost-nobody-for-hillary-at-wisconsin-rally
  • Options
    tonifig8 said:

not trying to stir the pot here. I thought this was a little interesting.

http://americanintelligencereport.com/shocking-almost-nobody-for-hillary-at-wisconsin-rally

At one point during Bernie’s speech someone yelled out, “vote third party.”

Out here in California I'd say right on. But in a swing state like Wisconsin? Maybe not such a good idea.

And the low turn out- multiple reasons for that.

• Options
    Here you go Bernie

HRC Speeches to Wall Street
    https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/927
  • Options
    My watch says half past lost. Yup, Bernie lost. The Queen has been anointed.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

My watch says half past lost. Yup, Bernie lost. The Queen has been anointed.

H2M, don't make me post that Sex Pistols song again! :wink:

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited October 2016
    Moved
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Options
    http://embols.com/2016/10/01/apparently-bernie-is-registered-as-a-write-in-in-nearly-all-states/

Apparently Bernie IS registered as a write-in in nearly all states
  • Options
    A long shot, of course, still worth reading. If you want to discuss but not read the articles.....
  • Options
    What's Bernie's response to this idea? Has anyone asked him if he would serve, provided the scenario plays out?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Leaked Hillary Clinton Emails: Could Bernie Sanders Have Won Primary If Leak Occurred Earlier?

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/16700
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    Free said:

Leaked Hillary Clinton Emails: Could Bernie Sanders Have Won Primary If Leak Occurred Earlier?

http://m.democracynow.org/stories/16700

What difference does it make now?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    How many Democrats would have changed their primary vote if the hacked emails were released earlier? No way to know for sure but I haven't seen many claiming they would have so far.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."