Options

Bernie Sanders

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,745
    tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

In my circle, I just don't hear it. I hear people weighing their options and saying the same things they always say. Nobody is any more dissatisfied than they were any other year that I remember. And there are TONS of strong Hillary supporters. You just don't talk to them. I will be registering voters with a handful of them on Sunday. In my neck of the woods, it was Hillary 75%, Bernie 25%, and the Democratic Party has a solid ground operation going.

The only thing I feel is worse this election is the media. The fucking media is out of control. A former news junkie, I can't even stand any of it anymore. People's perceptions are so skewed about reality because they hear commentators say the same thing 5000 times over 5 days. When something stupid is said that often, people blow up the scale of stupidity.

My perception of Bernie's popularity is that he took off because he promised America a bunch of free stuff they feel entitled to and stolen from. People in America like free stuff. Tell a struggling kid in college "I'll make it free!" College kid votes for you. Tell a bunch of struggling sick people "I'll make your health care free!" Sick people vote for you. Tell tired working moms "Daycare is free!" Moms vote for you. He had something for everyone, and they all bought it with their vote. I feel like Bernie is as much of a demagogue as Trump is. He's just a nicer demagogue.

Hell, I even went into the booth on primary day undecided and did an "eeny meeny miney moe" and damn if I didn't land on Bernie. I didn't vote for him because I believe he could do anything he said. I only voted for him because by March, I just couldn't deal with the country (not me) coming unhinged over Hillary. I regret my vote now, wish I hadn't given Bernie an extra count. But now look at everyone coming absolutely unhinged. The exaggerated drama surrounding Hillary is the stuff of tall tales and Greek mythology. People just need to calm the fuck down, go about their lives, and let her be. Let it be . . .

This Saturday I'm going to an all day mindfulness retreat to do just that. While the rest of the country continues their collective anxiety attack over Hillary's pneumonia, Donald's tax return, and now it looks like Colin Powell's emails -- fuck me, more emails, really people? Stop saying shit in your emails -- I'll be meditating and expressing gratitude on a farm in Western MD. If anything this election season, I have become way more sensible than I have ever been. It's been a deliberate choice to reject what has become the new conventional wisdom, that the world is on the brink of destruction. Our American democracy will survive and evolve just fine for 4-8 more presidential years, but I would venture to say that if we devoted even a fraction of our attention to scrutinizing our Congressional candidates and -that- rigged process, we would be in a much better place.

If I'm wrong and the world does blow up, you can't blame me for choosing to go out in a peaceful trance.

Sanders wasn't about free, free, free, and more free. You clearly have it wrong, and your post is shit, to be frank, all you do around here is defend Clinton and dehumanize trump, not that I give a shit about trump, but you're playing the victim or trying to act as if your the bigger person when in all reality It's just a bunch of BS. You should look in the mirror.
    You really posted this? Calling the post shit because you disagree with it? That's really fucked up. What Dreams didn't take a shot at you.

I'm calling the post bullshit because this individual dehumanizes trump, yet when it comes to Clinton the poster is asking for respect and civility. I've been active reader on here and the whole playing the victim card has gotten old. the hypocrisy with some of you clintonites and wanna be progressives is sickening. At least try to keep it consistent.

And you of all people, who said the Clinton thread was getting out of control with garbage post... Yet you're posting childish one liners on that same thread about others comments. The hypocrisy is endless. If you don't want to be called out for BS, don't post BS. That's pretty much common sense.
    Sure. The Clinton thread was out of control because it was literally 5 or 10 pages of the same shit about her health. WD makes one post about his/her experience and opinion on Bernie and you go defcon 5.

Whatever your say. However you justify it...
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

I remember this cartoon I saw when I was a kid in the 50's. I think the people that made it were all on mushrooms. The cartoon was a bunch of really freaking people dancing around singing:

"We are a hapy fam-i-ly
    We dance and sing and play all day".

Freaky.

I'm suddenly reminisced back to a shroom party myself, Brian. :lol:
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

In my circle, I just don't hear it. I hear people weighing their options and saying the same things they always say. Nobody is any more dissatisfied than they were any other year that I remember. And there are TONS of strong Hillary supporters. You just don't talk to them. I will be registering voters with a handful of them on Sunday. In my neck of the woods, it was Hillary 75%, Bernie 25%, and the Democratic Party has a solid ground operation going.

The only thing I feel is worse this election is the media. The fucking media is out of control. A former news junkie, I can't even stand any of it anymore. People's perceptions are so skewed about reality because they hear commentators say the same thing 5000 times over 5 days. When something stupid is said that often, people blow up the scale of stupidity.

My perception of Bernie's popularity is that he took off because he promised America a bunch of free stuff they feel entitled to and stolen from. People in America like free stuff. Tell a struggling kid in college "I'll make it free!" College kid votes for you. Tell a bunch of struggling sick people "I'll make your health care free!" Sick people vote for you. Tell tired working moms "Daycare is free!" Moms vote for you. He had something for everyone, and they all bought it with their vote. I feel like Bernie is as much of a demagogue as Trump is. He's just a nicer demagogue.

Hell, I even went into the booth on primary day undecided and did an "eeny meeny miney moe" and damn if I didn't land on Bernie. I didn't vote for him because I believe he could do anything he said. I only voted for him because by March, I just couldn't deal with the country (not me) coming unhinged over Hillary. I regret my vote now, wish I hadn't given Bernie an extra count. But now look at everyone coming absolutely unhinged. The exaggerated drama surrounding Hillary is the stuff of tall tales and Greek mythology. People just need to calm the fuck down, go about their lives, and let her be. Let it be . . .

This Saturday I'm going to an all day mindfulness retreat to do just that. While the rest of the country continues their collective anxiety attack over Hillary's pneumonia, Donald's tax return, and now it looks like Colin Powell's emails -- fuck me, more emails, really people? Stop saying shit in your emails -- I'll be meditating and expressing gratitude on a farm in Western MD. If anything this election season, I have become way more sensible than I have ever been. It's been a deliberate choice to reject what has become the new conventional wisdom, that the world is on the brink of destruction. Our American democracy will survive and evolve just fine for 4-8 more presidential years, but I would venture to say that if we devoted even a fraction of our attention to scrutinizing our Congressional candidates and -that- rigged process, we would be in a much better place.

If I'm wrong and the world does blow up, you can't blame me for choosing to go out in a peaceful trance.

Sanders wasn't about free, free, free, and more free. You clearly have it wrong, and your post is shit, to be frank, all you do around here is defend Clinton and dehumanize trump, not that I give a shit about trump, but you're playing the victim or trying to act as if your the bigger person when in all reality It's just a bunch of BS. You should look in the mirror.
    You really posted this? Calling the post shit because you disagree with it? That's really fucked up. What Dreams didn't take a shot at you.

I'm calling the post bullshit because this individual dehumanizes trump, yet when it comes to Clinton the poster is asking for respect and civility. I've been active reader on here and the whole playing the victim card has gotten old. the hypocrisy with some of you clintonites and wanna be progressives is sickening. At least try to keep it consistent.

And you of all people, who said the Clinton thread was getting out of control with garbage post... Yet you're posting childish one liners on that same thread about others comments. The hypocrisy is endless. If you don't want to be called out for BS, don't post BS. That's pretty much common sense.
    Sure. The Clinton thread was out of control because it was literally 5 or 10 pages of the same shit about her health. WD makes one post about his/her experience and opinion on Bernie and you go defcon 5.

Ha! Defcon 5?!? That's funny. I just said it was a bs thread and the comments were shit- didn't threaten anyone or anything of that nature. Like I said, the hypocrisy is endless. In other post said member is dehumanize another candidate, yet somehow wants the hire road for their candidate. That's plain and simple.

It's nothing personal- I don't know any of you. If you're going to be a hypocrite then it's only fair you be called out on it. Had nothing to do with our difference of opinions on sanders.

Moving on
  • Options
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,499
    edited September 2016
    tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

I'm calling the post bullshit because this in needsd needs ividual dehumanizes trump, yet when it comes to Clinton the poster is asking for respect and civility. I've been active reader on here and the whole playing the victim card has gotten old. the hypocrisy with some of you clintonites and wanna be progressives is sickening. At least try to keep it consistent.

Ha! Defcon 5?!? That's funny. I just said it was a bs thread and the comments were shit- didn't threaten anyone or anything of that nature. Like I said, the hypocrisy is endless. In other post said member is dehumanize aanother candidate, yet somehow wants the hire road for their candidate. That's plain and simple.

It's nothing personal- I don't know any of you. If you're going to be a hypocrite. then it's only fair you be called out on it. Had nothing to do with our difference of opinions on sanders.

Moving on
    Don't think we should move on. This should be stopped already and if you can't stop this yourself, tonifig....that's why there's mods, right? We should be allowed to post our opinions without receiving a barrage of insults and cuss words in return.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

Meh, I think your perception is quite off. Just take a look outside your borders to see what many 1st world countries do and how well "free stuff" actually works. You might be surprised.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,845
    What Dreams, what's with the world being on the brink of destruction? Do you know something we don't, like a giant meteor heading our way? It's definitely a changing world and anthropogenically damaged world but unless something cataclysmic like a massive meteor coming, the world will carry one and re-establish new balances. Humans on the other hand- yeah, we're doing a good job of putting ourselves on the endangered species list. If that concerns you, Bernie would have been a better pick that HRC or Trump. And even better than Bernie is Stein.

But really, is avoiding our (and other animal's) extinction what America wants? Doesn't seem so to me. Seems to me America wants:

-A "strong, vigorous economy" (mass consumption with little or no regard to limits to resources).

-Lots of crap to buy to satisfy our instant gratification ADHD buying habits.

-Wars, crashing cars at auto races, football injuries, trauma drama, and all sorts of other kinds of violence.

-The continuation of suburbia and car culture.

-Greasy food and sweets.

-Mind numbing amusement (the word come from a (lack of) musing (thinking). Like amoral, only amusement.)

These were not high on Bernie's list of priorities and certainly not on Stein's. They are major factors for the other candidates. Don't get mad at me for saying this. If you look at it, you can't deny this is true.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    To say "America" wants this and that is a bit sweeping, no? You wouldn't want that done to you...I would hope.

Although my husband and I do love our cars. Damn us for working hard to earn them, and to pay for them. To rev those fuckers up and enjoy them! And to love what, as well as who, we have.

Terrible, I know.

And yeah, I do sometimes need stupid shitty amusement as a distraction. Sometimes I need to turn off so I can tune out current shit and tune back in later on.

Terrible again! I know.

Best part of it all is, I'm pretty comfortable in how I live my life and treat others (as well as myself), how I choose to decompress - sometimes mindlessly; shoot me for being so pedestrian - how I get off on a rich piece of chocolate (thank you, often :) ) or the every-so-often Royale with cheese. Fries too.

Next couple of months should be interesting, that's for sure.

And...I'm not "mad" at you. Never been that with anyone here. But man, sometimes I do shake my head at some of the digs and judgments made on these threads.
  • Options
    Yes, it's a very sweeping generalization. But speaking generally, it's true, right?

I like cars too. I used to really be into cars. I thought my '65 Malibu was hot shit. It was fast, had cool wheels. Vroom vroom. But my Prius is plenty zippy, will last three times as long (think "durable"), has a much better sound system, and gets at 3 three times better fuel efficiency. But I'm more inclined to talk about how I've increased my number of no-drive days and shared rides. We grow up, become more responsible, right? Doesn't mean you can't dig your wheels!

My comment about "don't get mad at me" comes from knowing I say things that sound either cantankerous, bitter or cynical. Sometimes that's a bit true but only because I'm frustrated that as a whole, we a nation and as a world don't reach for the higher ground enough to preserve this beautiful world for us and other living creatures. As a whole we are not good stewards. We are more focused on our own desires (anthropocentric) rather that that of the good of the whole ecosystem that supports all life (biocentric). I am frustrated because we could change and yet we resist doing what makes more sense. And I am frustrated because I do not always do better than I am capable.

I don't really know why I care so much. It's a bit of a curse. But there it is. I think it's like what Ethan Hawke said about his work in the DVD extras for that excellent film about Chet Baker, "Born to Be Blue" (excellent, highly recommended!). I already returned the film so I can't quote it verbatim but essentially what he said is that he wants his work to do some good, to be helpful and make a difference. He does! (I'm a fan, Ethan!)

Me? Not so sure.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    The future of our offspring could have probably inherited something new. Something better

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/14/edward-snowden-pardon-bernie-sanders-daniel-ellsberg
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,717
    brianlux said:

What Dreams, what's with the world being on the brink of destruction? Do you know something we don't, like a giant meteor heading our way? It's definitely a changing world and anthropogenically damaged world but unless something cataclysmic like a massive meteor coming, the world will carry one and re-establish new balances. Humans on the other hand- yeah, we're doing a good job of putting ourselves on the endangered species list. If that concerns you, Bernie would have been a better pick that HRC or Trump. And even better than Bernie is Stein.

But really, is avoiding our (and other animal's) extinction what America wants? Doesn't seem so to me. Seems to me America wants:

-A "strong, vigorous economy" (mass consumption with little or no regard to limits to resources).

-Wars, crashing cars at auto races, football injuries, trauma drama, and all sorts of other kinds of violence.

-Greasy food and sweets.

-Mind numbing amusement (the word come from a (lack of) musing (thinking). Like amoral, only amusement.)

These were not high on Bernie's list of priorities and certainly not on Stein's. They are major factors for the other candidates. Don't get mad at me for saying this. If you look at it, you can't deny this is true.

I'm thinking the Yellowstone super volcano.... (no, seriously). :fearful:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

I know. That kind of shares the shit out of me. That will be the end of this civilization
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

I know. That kind of shares the shit out of me. That will be the end of this civilization
    To me, the difference between, say, nuclear annihilation and Yellowstone super volcano would be like the difference between dying a slow rotting death due to exposure to chemicals and being struck and killed by lightening. In both cases I think the latter are so much more desirable. There are human disasters but there is no such thing as a natural disaster. There are just natural occurrences. If Yellowstone want to blow her top (or bottom in this case), let 'er rip. I want to be there to see it!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

To me, the difference between, say, nuclear annihilation and Yellowstone super volcano would be like the difference between dying a slow rotting death due to exposure to chemicals and being struck and killed by lightening. In both cases I think the latter are so much more desirable. There are human disasters but there is no such thing as a natural disaster. There are just natural occurrences. If Yellowstone want to blow her top (or bottom in this case), let 'er rip. I want to be there to see it!
    Interesting perspective. I'd personally prefer to not have millions burn alive and then live the rest of a miserable life in a barren wasteland where all living things slowly die from starvation and lack of sunlight, and as roving packs of desperate humans struggle to survive by preying on the weak. Not that there is anything to do about it.... but we don't have to embrace it, lol. I'm wondering if there isn't some scientific way to stop the eruption, or at least to reduce its impact. To release the pressure somehow. That would be great if they could somehow figure that out.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,121
    for the wwe fans :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

I don't disagree at all. The difference is that we have zero control on Yellowstone. At least with nuclear weapons, maybe someone will make the right decision...
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

I don't disagree at all. The difference is that we have zero control on Yellowstone. At least with nuclear weapons, maybe someone will make the right decision...
    For sure. One is preventable. One isn't. And really, chances are very good that there will NOT be a nuclear holocaust. The eruption of Yellowstone is 100% inevitable. I'm just hoping it doesn't happen in my lifetime. Sorry future generations.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

Let's hope!

• Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

Let's hope!
    Well so far so good, and it seems that we're much less at risk now than we were for decades back in the 20th Century. I am personally much more concerned about a natural disaster that has a globally catastrophic impact than I am about a nuclear holocaust.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

Let's hope!
    Well so far so good, and it seems that we're much less at risk now than we were for decades back in the 20th Century. I am personally much more concerned about a natural disaster that has a globally catastrophic impact than I am about a nuclear holocaust.
    I have to say it again (and then you can give me hell for being so adamant, LOL) There are no "natural disasters", just natural occurrences.

I wish I knew how to help people with worrying about things like earthquakes, floods, volcanoes, etc. For whatever reason, I don't worry about such things. I'm way more concerned about the harm humans can incur, both on a large scale and on a personal scale. I've been hurt far more severely and more often by people than by nature... so far anyway. And I would much rather die by lightening stick than gunshot.

• Options
    Bring Back Bernie Sanders. Donald Trump Now Leads Hillary Clinton in Ohio and Florida

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57da669be4b0d5920b5b2547

Not that I care about daily polls, they're not real news. We just need the only candidate likely to beat windbag Drumpf back.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

-Greasy food and sweets.

Let's hope!
    I have to say it again (and then you can give me hell for being so adamant, LOL) There are no "natural disasters", just natural occurrences.

I wish I knew how to help people with worrying about things like earthquakes, floods, volcanoes, etc. For whatever reason, I don't worry about such things. I'm way more concerned about the harm humans can incur, both on a large scale and on a personal scale. I've been hurt far more severely and more often by people than by nature... so far anyway. And I would much rather die by lightening stick than gunshot.
    This brutal summer was not a natural occurrence! Can we call man made interference a disaster?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I find occurrence vs disaster to be a matter of semantics, just based on the aftermath.

People dying during an earthquake, tornado, flood, volcano eruption - long list of course...and sure a natural disaster but a disaster nonetheless.
  • Options
    Hysterical. Just hysterical. Thank you for proving my point. Good night.
  • Options
    And just for more shits and giggles, Toniflig, (or whatever your name is) can you please quote me where I "dehumanized" Trump in any other another thread? I'm trying to recall the last time I said anything about Trump. It may have been Easter when I told a story about my brother who loves Trump and I had to endure his similarly unhinged view of the world. I believe I dehumanized my brother in that thread. In fact, my view of Trump is that he would be relatively harmless because I believe as a president he'll never accomplish anything. Kind of like Bernie. A one term do-nothing president, he would be. Clinton might get some things done. Maybe not. Who knows. She's a flawed human being as well. My consistent opinion has always been that we are all flawed human beings, and I'm okay with Clinton's warts.

I also happen to be a thyroid cancer survivor. When I read people ripping Clinton to shreds through 10 pages because she has a thyroid condition and it makes her unqualified to be president, it kind of pisses me off. You may see that as whatever you wish. Who cares. I see you as a member of the unhinged electorate. Too bad that I really hit a nerve.
  • Options

And just for more shits and giggles, Toniflig, (or whatever your name is) can you please quote me where I "dehumanized" Trump in any other another thread? I'm trying to recall the last time I said anything about Trump. It may have been Easter when I told a story about my brother who loves Trump and I had to endure his similarly unhinged view of the world. I believe I dehumanized my brother in that thread. In fact, my view of Trump is that he would be relatively harmless because I believe as a president he'll never accomplish anything. Kind of like Bernie. A one term do-nothing president, he would be. Clinton might get some things done. Maybe not. Who knows. She's a flawed human being as well. My consistent opinion has always been that we are all flawed human beings, and I'm okay with Clinton's warts.

I also happen to be a thyroid cancer survivor. When I read people ripping Clinton to shreds through 10 pages because she has a thyroid condition and it makes her unqualified to be president, it kind of pisses me off. You may see that as whatever you wish. Who cares. I see you as a member of the unhinged electorate. Too bad that I really hit a nerve.

Interesting. Maybe try scrolling up.

As for HRC's thyroid condition, no that should not be a big issue here. Three very important women in my life have or had a thyroid conditions and or cancer. But HRC's overall health is what is more important and might factor in if she can't muscle through the next few months.

And the fact remains, there are plenty of other issues that make HRC problematic as potential president. And this- we all know how politics work- drag any old thing out you can to bash the other candidate. Business as usual.

Bit it wouldn't have been if Sanders had been nominated. No way near to the degree it is between HRC and The Donald. But maybe we don't want an election. Maybe we just want a circus. Curious, we Americans.

It's a bummer that Bernie is not the candidate and Stein won't win of course but look father down the path. It's not all desert.

• Options
    You're right Brian, Who exactly do we have to thank that the candidate proven to be Trump was ostracized and ridiculed while the media ignored and refused to show exactly how big his movement is? Oh yeah, the DNC.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,975
    brianlux said:

As for HRC's thyroid condition, no that should not be a big issue here. Three very important women in my life have or had a thyroid conditions and or cancer. But HRC's overall health is what is more important and might factor in if she can't muscle through the next few months.

And the fact remains, there are plenty of other issues that make HRC problematic as potential president. And this- we all know how politics work- drag any old thing out you can to bash the other candidate. Business as usual.

Bit it wouldn't have been if Sanders had been nominated. No way near to the degree it is between HRC and The Donald. But maybe we don't want an election. Maybe we just want a circus. Curious, we Americans.

It's a bummer that Bernie is not the candidate and Stein won't win of course but look father down the path. It's not all desert.

Honestly, I really feel that the first left-leaning POTUS in ages needs to have the first left-leaning support system (i.e. House and Senate) in ages. The first of anything in the US government carries the weight of setting a precedent. All African-American Presidential candidates will be compared to Obama. All female Presidential candidates will be compared to Clinton. When someone like Sanders sits in office, he must possess the ability to drive major change without the bullshit of power-seizing/maintaining in the House and Senate. For the liberalization of America to penetrate the government levels, this can't be a game of checkers, it must be chess.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    benjs said:

brianlux said:

Honestly, I really feel that the first left-leaning POTUS in ages needs to have the first left-leaning support system (i.e. House and Senate) in ages. The first of anything in the US government carries the weight of setting a precedent. All African-American Presidential candidates will be compared to Obama. All female Presidential candidates will be compared to Clinton. When someone like Sanders sits in office, he must possess the ability to drive major change without the bullshit of power-seizing/maintaining in the House and Senate. For the liberalization of America to penetrate the government levels, this can't be a game of checkers, it must be chess.
    I disagree. The job of Congress is to work with and compromise w/ the sitting president. It's not being done now, and you can't blame the president for that. You're suggesting that we wait to vote in the appropriate representatives that would work with a progressive president? And how long would that take? When congressmen and women do not have term limits?
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Free said:

benjs said:

brianlux said:

I disagree. The job of Congress is to work with and compromise w/ the sitting president. It's not being done now, and you can't blame the president for that. You're suggesting that we wait to vote in the appropriate representatives that would work with progressive president? And how long would that take? When congressmen and women do not have term limits?
    congressmen and woman do have term limits, its called voting. I understand that it is very hard to get a person out of office but what has to happen is that people have to vote not just during the main elections but also during the mid terms elections.