Bernie Sanders

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

my jaunt through Maine last week showed more signs for Gary Johnson and Trump than Clinton ... there were actually not many signs at all to be quite honest ... but of the ones I saw ... didn't see any for HRC except for a sticker on a person's car ...

Gary Johnson? You mean the guy that this morning didn't know what Aleppo was? Yeah, informed voters for sure. He's ready.

Maine will go for Clinton by 8 points+. Don't you worry.
    I didn't know where Aleppo is until just now. But I'm an uninformed idiot, right? Right....
    If you were running for POTUS, I would say yes. If you are just a guy that pays attention to what's going on in the world when you can, then I would say no. Sorry, the bar for uninformed for you and a POTUS candidate are far different. I don't want to 'drink a beer' with the president. That's how we got W.
    I'm looking for a good president, not an encyclopedia.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

my jaunt through Maine last week showed more signs for Gary Johnson and Trump than Clinton ... there were actually not many signs at all to be quite honest ... but of the ones I saw ... didn't see any for HRC except for a sticker on a person's car ...

Gary Johnson? You mean the guy that this morning didn't know what Aleppo was? Yeah, informed voters for sure. He's ready.

I didn't know where Aleppo is until just now. But I'm an uninformed idiot, right? Right....
    If you were running for POTUS, I would say yes. If you are just a guy that pays attention to what's going on in the world when you can, then I would say no. Sorry, the bar for uninformed for you and a POTUS candidate are far different. I don't want to 'drink a beer' with the president. That's how we got W.
    Aleppo is kind of important when it comes to foreign affairs these days...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,812
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

Well a primary piece of having a good president is having base knowledge on issues and a plan that is somewhat feasible. Although I find it interesting that you are defending GJ when his economic policies likely run counter to everything you believe in, from what I've seen of you all these months. He wants to de-regulate wall street, limit EPA involvement, and institute a flat 28% tax plan. Seems strange that you are at least tacitly defending him.

And having a working knowledge of the center of the one of the biggest humanitarian crisis in the world right now is not being an encyclopedia. It's paying attention to the news here and there.
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

Well a primary piece of having a good president is having base knowledge on issues and a plan that is somewhat feasible. Although I find it interesting that you are defending GJ when his economic policies likely run counter to everything you believe in, from what I've seen of you all these months. He wants to de-regulate wall street, limit EPA involvement, and institute a flat 28% tax plan. Seems strange that you are at least tacitly defending him.

And having a working knowledge of the center of the one of the biggest humanitarian crisis in the world right now is not being an encyclopedia. It's paying attention to the news here and there.
    I don't agree with Johnson for many of the reasons you just listed, but I still defend him. This isn't TMZ, I dont think politics should be about blowing up one little mistake he made. I think what he stands for is important to defend. He seems to be the truest politician running for president right now, and I wish all of the parties had someone like him leading them. As a Bernie supporter, Johnson is easy to defend, because although their views on many issues are polar opposites, they are both pushing for what they believe is best for the country.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

I don't agree with Johnson for many of the reasons you just listed, but I still defend him. This isn't TMZ, I dont think politics should be about blowing up one little mistake he made. I think what he stands for is important to defend. He seems to be the truest politician running for president right now, and I wish all of the parties had someone like him leading them. As a Bernie supporter, Johnson is easy to defend, because although their views on many issues are polar opposites, they are both pushing for what they believe is best for the country.
    The problem is that what he believes is best for the country will severely damage the middle and lower class. His tax plan will disproportionately affect the lower class. A 28% tax rate on food, clothes, cars will be devastating because of the huge chunk this takes out of disposable income. And what about the mortgage interest tax credit and the child deductions? Gone. That's all gone. So awesome, he's true to his beliefs but what the hell is that worth if his beliefs will devastate large portions of this country? Do you think HRC would do any of that?

And on Syria, did you watch the rest of his answer? This isn't a TMZ moment, but it's a real policy deficiency. His answer made no sense, even getting beyond Aleppo. It was a rambling non-answer that basically said "join hands with Russia diplomatically".

It's all so perplexing that suddenly we give credit or kudos to terrible ideas just because they are consistently bad.
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

The problem is that what he believes is best for the country will severely damage the middle and lower class. His tax plan will disproportionately affect the lower class. A 28% tax rate on food, clothes, cars will be devastating because of the huge chunk this takes out of disposable income. And what about the mortgage interest tax credit and the child deductions? Gone. That's all gone. So awesome, he's true to his beliefs but what the hell is that worth if his beliefs will devastate large portions of this country? Do you think HRC would do any of that?

And on Syria, did you watch the rest of his answer? This isn't a TMZ moment, but it's a real policy deficiency. His answer made no sense, even getting beyond Aleppo. It was a rambling non-answer that basically said "join hands with Russia diplomatically".

It's all so perplexing that suddenly we give credit or kudos to terrible ideas just because they are consistently bad.
    I completely agree with this, and hence I don't support GJ. Unfortunately, many people think this is the way to grow our economy. I still think it is worth giving credit to a person who stands for what they believe is best. Or more generally a "good" person deserves credit. I think HRC will be better for the country, but I don't think she deserves to be defended. She has proven that she is not necessarily looking out for the good of America.

Maybe I shouldn't be standing up for GJ, but I see him as the only respectable candidate.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

Thank you, that was my point.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    if you follow the interview ... he did have a plan for syria ... whether one agrees or not is another matter ... he's admitted that when the question came - he thought it was an acronym ... he also stated that's not an excuse ... as much as this was a gaffe ... it wouldn't be a playbreaker for me by any stretch nor do I think it will hurt him long term ...
  • Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

It's not a little mistake, if you watch the interview. The rest of the answer made it clear that he does not understand the situation or the ramifications of decisions. He stumbled through a non-answer. The Aleppo part was just the harbinger of candidate doom. He doesn't have an argument to be on the stage anymore, at least on the debate centered on foreign policy.

I never minded GJ...on paper. I'm more fiscally moderate than most on here so some of the de-reg stuff I can buy into (totally, 100% against flat tax). But every time I see him in a forum where he is asked a marginally difficult question, he is awful at answering.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

It's not a little mistake, if you watch the interview. The rest of the answer made it clear that he does not understand the situation or the ramifications of decisions. He stumbled through a non-answer. The Aleppo part was just the harbinger of candidate doom. He doesn't have an argument to be on the stage anymore, at least on the debate centered on foreign policy.

I never minded GJ...on paper. I'm more fiscally moderate than most on here so some of the de-reg stuff I can buy into (totally, 100% against flat tax). But every time I see him in a forum where he is asked a marginally difficult question, he is awful at answering.
    You made your point... a big deal about nothing.

Moving on...

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

You made your point... a big deal about nothing.

Moving on...
    And back to topic.

BERNIE.

• Options
    Free said:

Sanders: Hillary Should ‘Cease All Operations, All Contact With The Clinton Foundation’

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1cff5SSQno

• Options
    Colorado's single payer healthcare idea could make Bernie Sanders' vision a reality

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.mic.com/articles/amp/153045/colorados-single-payer-healthcare-amendment-69-vote-november-2016?client=safari
    The "Medicare-for-all" platform touted by Bernie Sanders may be realized in Colorado through Amendment 69. The ballot measure would create public health insurance for all Coloradans by levying a 10% payroll tax on residents and businesses. "ColoradoCare" would replace most private health insurance, and residents could not opt out of paying the tax to support the public insurance plan run outside of state government.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Dupe post, already responded to.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    In a make-or-break moment, Gary Johnson broke.
    During an interview in which Johnson would later say he mentally “blanked,” the Libertarian Party presidential nominee on Thursday flubbed a question on the Syrian civil war, asking, “What is Aleppo?”

His fellow MSNBC panelists were agape, as Johnson had just claimed unfamiliarity with a city at the heart of Syria’s ongoing civil war and humanitarian crisis. Johnson spent the rest of the morning on a self-flagellating apology tour, including a brief follow-up interview with Mark Halperin in which Johnson admitted frustration at his answer, an appearance on "The View," and a statement of public mea culpa.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/gary-johnson-aleppo-gaffe-227895#ixzz4JhMYk4Ut
    Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Kind of reminds me of Bernie's moment with the New York Daily News interview.. just connecting it to a Bernie thread.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

During an interview in which Johnson would later say he mentally “blanked,” the Libertarian Party presidential nominee on Thursday flubbed a question on the Syrian civil war, asking, “What is Aleppo?”

His fellow MSNBC panelists were agape, as Johnson had just claimed unfamiliarity with a city at the heart of Syria’s ongoing civil war and humanitarian crisis. Johnson spent the rest of the morning on a self-flagellating apology tour, including a brief follow-up interview with Mark Halperin in which Johnson admitted frustration at his answer, an appearance on "The View," and a statement of public mea culpa.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/gary-johnson-aleppo-gaffe-227895#ixzz4JhMYk4Ut

Kind of reminds me of Bernie's moment with the New York Daily News interview.. just connecting it to a Bernie thread.

No, you're just going on about Johnson again. Nice try.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:

Christ. He had a gaffe that pales in comparison to H-Rod's "gaffe" handling classified info on private servers. But let's focus on a guy who isn't embroiled in controversy to try to stir something up. Feels like some deflection going on.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:

Christ. He had a gaffe that pales in comparison to H-Rod's "gaffe" handling classified info on private servers. But let's focus on a guy who isn't embroiled in controversy to try to stir something up. Feels like some deflection going on.
    I'm not drawing a comparison between the two. Rather, I'm pointing out why I've been down on Johnson and Stein for a long time. They are simply not qualified.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

No one's making you read it.
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    mrussel1 said:

Kinda reminds me of the Hillary moment with the, oh wait, she doesn't do interviews. Haha
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

No one's making you read it.
    OH YEAH?

• Options
    I do support the ultraviolence, my good droog.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Damn good movie !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ^^^Indeed!
    mrussel1 said:

Haha! Yes.

I have to admit that photo/scene always makes me feel a little nauseated, LOL.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    McDowell singing Singin' in the Rain was improvised.

(fyi)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

(fyi)

The singing, the beating, or both?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:

Not knowing "what" Aleppo is is not a gaffe. It's negligent for someone who is running to be the leader of the free world.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mrussel1 said:

hedonist said:

(fyi)

The singing, the beating, or both?
    From "Things You Might Not Know":
    McDowell came up with the idea for his character to sing the Gene Kelly classic. Kubrick thought the film's famously brutal scene, in which Alex and his droogs attack the writer and his wife, was playing flat during rehearsal. To adequately convey the violent nature of the scene and the sinister nature of the character, he asked McDowell to do something outrageous—like dance around. The actor began humming while dancing, then broke out into "Singin' In The Rain." McDowell would go on to say, "And why did I do that? Because [that song is] Hollywood's gift to the world of euphoria. And that's what the character is feeling at the time."

McDowell also thought Stanley Kubrick was Stanley Kramer (the latter, whose home / home theater I actually visited as a kid!).
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Definitely a classic scene. Thanks for sharing.

Viddy well....
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,753
    edited September 2016
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

polaris_x said:

You don't think the person running for POTUS should be expected to know where Aleppo is?? While the USA is essentially at the edge of war with ISIS?? Knowing the basic details of what is happening there seems pretty important to me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata