Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Miraculously more tickets popped up for Barclays. You know , “the platinum” ones. Over $400 face value. I can’t believe TM is allowed to openly price gouge and it’s legal 
    yeah, they are essentially working as a in-house scalping company based on supply and demand.  "prices may fluctuate based on demand"
    Seriously, how it is legal is beyond me. I really really wish some leaders would do something about it. Some legislation against this is badly needed, in Canada and the US.
    Concert tickets are luxury items and promoters/bands should be able to charge whatever and however the market bears. I don't like paying $400 for a ticket either so I don't go to many high profile arena shows. If you live near an arena, there is no shortage of $20-50 club shows in your area.
    This is all nonsense to me. A luxury item? No. And to only be able to see less popular bands is a non argument. It’s all bullshit to me 
    I'm sorry you feel entitled to name your own price for an arena rock concert
  • Options

My issue with the platinum seats is this: what's to keep Ticketmaster from holding back X amount of tickets for shows they know will sell out quickly, and then rebranding them as platinum a month later at a 250% markup?

I'm all for taking the scalpers out of the game, and would rather see the money go to the artists / venue etc, but this platinum ticket thing is shady AF.

They run the risk of not selling them and not having the cash in hand earlier. How often is demand for a show higher a month later vs. the actual onsale? That's a legit question, by the way. I would guess not often, but I really don't know. 
  • Options

I like the idea of tiered pricing right out the gate when the tickets go on sale. Case in point, I paid about $200 for a pair of 14th row center seats to see Vampire Weekend next spring (this was through the LiveNation mobile app presale). My buddy paid about $20 or so less per ticket to sit 12 rows behind us. (It was 140 or so for the 1st three rows IIRC) I could have easily got tickets for less than $130 / pair for that show, we just would have been a lot further back from the stage. That's the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Guns & Roses also got creative with the ticket pricing when they announced their reunion tour a couple of years ago. I'm all for new ideas to take scalpers out of the equation. If the marked up tickets don't sell, they can always put them back out at a lower price.

At least if the seats are tiered from the get-go, scalpers will likely get phased out of the more expensive seats as their potential for markup will be limited. Like @PJ44 suggested, at least the money is going to whomever is actually putting on the show as opposed to some scumbag on the other side of the country.

My issue with the platinum seats is this: what's to keep Ticketmaster from holding back X amount of tickets for shows they know will sell out quickly, and then rebranding them as platinum a month later at a 250% markup?

I'm all for taking the scalpers out of the game, and would rather see the money go to the artists / venue etc, but this platinum ticket thing is shady AF.

Tiered tickets to me equals a caste system.

Only if you have money can you be up close to the band!!!!

Get the F outta here.

Oh and the tix labeled as "platinum" are held back by TM and sold for maximum profit.  That's how they do shit.
    That "caste system" is the natural order. The internet and then smartphones opened the floodgates. The horse is out of the barn. So now it's just a matter of how much bands, sports teams, etc. want to control it or capitalize on it. Pearl Jam is clearly on the extreme fan friendly end of that spectrum. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Miraculously more tickets popped up for Barclays. You know , “the platinum” ones. Over $400 face value. I can’t believe TM is allowed to openly price gouge and it’s legal 
    yeah, they are essentially working as a in-house scalping company based on supply and demand.  "prices may fluctuate based on demand"
    Seriously, how it is legal is beyond me. I really really wish some leaders would do something about it. Some legislation against this is badly needed, in Canada and the US.
    Concert tickets are luxury items and promoters/bands should be able to charge whatever and however the market bears. I don't like paying $400 for a ticket either so I don't go to many high profile arena shows. If you live near an arena, there is no shortage of $20-50 club shows in your area.
    I get what you're trying to say but it's a horrible take and reeks of classism.
    I've been priced out of a lot of tours the last several years. Rush, Genesis, and Depeche Mode come to mind. Would have loved to see them all but they were just too expensive. I didn't throw a tantrum and insist they sell tickets cheaper. I just found other cheaper shows to go to.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I've been priced out of a lot of tours the last several years. Rush, Genesis, and Depeche Mode come to mind. Would have loved to see them all but they were just too expensive. I didn't throw a tantrum and insist they sell tickets cheaper. I just found other cheaper shows to go to.

So when tickets are say $100 and you get shut out and then you get an email that says they have the tickets you wanted for sale, but they’re $500 now, that extra money goes to the acts? I’m not talking about tiered pricing, which makes sense, even though I think it can be handled poorly for the consumer.
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    This still a Tool thread?  :s
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    Well, ticket scalpers are tools. Soooooo...
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:

So when tickets are say $100 and you get shut out and then you get an email that says they have the tickets you wanted for sale, but they’re $500 now, that extra money goes to the acts? I’m not talking about tiered pricing, which makes sense, even though I think it can be handled poorly for the consumer.
    I don't know how the contracts are structured but it's some or all of the people involved in putting on the show. Unless you're talking about StubHub or a fan resale feature where the ticket agency is just taking a cut. Who do you think it's going to?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I think the promoter guarantees the band a certain amount then has to figure out how to make it.   So technically yes. If the ticket says platinum that's the promoter trying to get more for the tickets, to pay the band what they cost, which means a fair chunk of that money ends up back with the band.

I'm only talking when the tickets say platinum/vip etc...   If they're popping up on TM's ticket exchange, then yah everyones cashing in. Ticketmaster takes a cut and charges another service fee.  Greasy bastards :)
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Was learning parts of Pnuema on guitar today.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This is all nonsense to me. A luxury item? No. And to only be able to see less popular bands is a non argument. It’s all bullshit to me 
    Gtfoh. Entitled? You think it’s ok to create fake hype for a show, then slowly release tickets that were held back on purpose for double the price? Or how about when that backfires for some concerts? People buy tickets as soon as they go on sale. Concert doesn’t sell too well then people pay half for the same seats. It’s wrong and a shady practice either way. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Gtfoh. Entitled? You think it’s ok to create fake hype for a show, then slowly release tickets that were held back on purpose for double the price? Or how about when that backfires for some concerts? People buy tickets as soon as they go on sale. Concert doesn’t sell too well then people pay half for the same seats. It’s wrong and a shady practice either way. 
    What you described is 80% of what's happening when you book an airline ticket or hotel room.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, and to try to steer things back on topic, I sat out the Tool onsale entirely and will grab tickets closer to the show.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    What you described is 80% of what's happening when you book an airline ticket or hotel room.
    I know. But at least I have options with hotels and airlines. There’s no option with TM. So I still don’t get your point. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    edited October 2019
    pjl44 said:
    For what it's worth, and to try to steer things back on topic, I sat out the Tool onsale entirely and will grab tickets closer to the show.
    Tools and Ticketmaster public sale was the best that I have ever seen. If they are going that route for Pearl Jam next year I am thinking of passing on 10 club tickets since my number is so high for shows that I am not doing GA and going with the public sale. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I know. But at least I have options with hotels and airlines. There’s no option with TM. So I still don’t get your point. 
    Good point and it's not a perfect analogy, but my point is dynamic pricing isn't a new concept. Just new to primary market ticket sales. In this case, your option as a consumer is to not go and/or attend a different show. If your tastes are pushing you to $200+ arena shows, those are luxury tastes.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    Tools and Ticketmaster public sale was the best that I have ever seen. If they are going that route for Pearl Jam next year I am thinking of passing on 10 club tickets since my number is so high for shows that I am not doing GA and going with the public sale. 
    Interesting...the way people have been carrying on I assumed it was a mess. Glad to hear at least in your case it wasn't. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    I think you may have had a very different experience than a whole lot of other people. 
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    Took a week off the album and listened again last night. It does not have a very accessible Tool song such as sober, jambi, 46&2, etc, which had me a bit disappointed after first few listens. However this album is awesome. There is no one in music that I am aware of, doing what Tool does. Invincible still remains my favourite.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    pjl44 said:

I like the idea of tiered pricing right out the gate when the tickets go on sale. Case in point, I paid about $200 for a pair of 14th row center seats to see Vampire Weekend next spring (this was through the LiveNation mobile app presale). My buddy paid about $20 or so less per ticket to sit 12 rows behind us. (It was 140 or so for the 1st three rows IIRC) I could have easily got tickets for less than $130 / pair for that show, we just would have been a lot further back from the stage. That's the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Guns & Roses also got creative with the ticket pricing when they announced their reunion tour a couple of years ago. I'm all for new ideas to take scalpers out of the equation. If the marked up tickets don't sell, they can always put them back out at a lower price.

At least if the seats are tiered from the get-go, scalpers will likely get phased out of the more expensive seats as their potential for markup will be limited. Like @PJ44 suggested, at least the money is going to whomever is actually putting on the show as opposed to some scumbag on the other side of the country.

Get the F outta here.

Oh and the tix labeled as "platinum" are held back by TM and sold for maximum profit.  That's how they do shit.
    That "caste system" is the natural order. The internet and then smartphones opened the floodgates. The horse is out of the barn. So now it's just a matter of how much bands, sports teams, etc. want to control it or capitalize on it. Pearl Jam is clearly on the extreme fan friendly end of that spectrum. 

Pearl Jam's ticket system is the ultimate caste system. 

If you didnt join 10C way back, you are out. PERIOD.

With Tool, every fan has an option to prioritize.  We could have saved for years. We can shift expenses. We could get on the ticket sites the instant they went on sale and got lower levels for face value. As I did. For 2 shows.

Something  impossible when bands limit ticket supply to the public. And take the 10,000 best fenway tickets off market for private sale, for example. 

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It's funny how alot of this fanbase sees TM as the ultimate evil. Thanks Eddie. TM is only a vehicle used by bands and promoters to extract fair value for their shows.

Musicians have been punished by technology and market forces to an extent much greater than than other artists and athletes.

Most top tier musicians cant touch the money that even mid level athletes get. They  cant touch what actors get.  Tech has screwed musicians over more ways than Sunday. 

Athletes "deserve" to be rewarded for a system that force the majority of cable subscribers to pay a couple a hundred a year for expensive channels like ESPN or YES that  they rarely watch?

But a musician wants to earn a few hundred from a show, AFTER getting screwed on royalties and album sales, OMG get out the kleenex.

• Options
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    I think you may have had a very different experience than a whole lot of other people. 
    People had issues with Ticketmaster? I know some had issues selecting seats and then they were not available since someone selected them right before they did but aside from that what was the issue? I was able to get tickets for Boston with ease and even went in 10 minutes later to see what else was there and was still able to pull tickets. This system beats the hell out of the bots cleaning up seconds after the drop. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    I had no problem pulling a pair for Boston. 
    They were ok balcony seats, but I also joined the queue at 10 on the button, I’m sure I could have pulled better seats had I got in queue 10 or 15 minutes prior. If I didn’t sit at a desk for work, it would have been more difficult as I didn’t get through until after 10:30, but that waiting was the only difficult part for me. 

Uncasville was slimmer pickings, but it’s also a smaller venue. 

• Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,656
    edited October 2019
    This album is still amazing me every time I play it. Culling voices stood out this time. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

Get the F outta here.

Pearl Jam's ticket system is the ultimate caste system. 

If you didnt join 10C way back, you are out. PERIOD.

With Tool, every fan has an option to prioritize.  We could have saved for years. We can shift expenses. We could get on the ticket sites the instant they went on sale and got lower levels for face value. As I did. For 2 shows.

Something  impossible when bands limit ticket supply to the public. And take the 10,000 best fenway tickets off market for private sale, for example. 

Every band can run these things however they want, as far as I'm concerned. Tool and Pearl Jam obviously take radically different approaches.
  • Options
    WHOLE ROWS now popping up for Barclays in the lower sections. Magic! All yours if anyone is interested at $401 plus fees. Almost double what they were during the initial public sale. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    People had issues with Ticketmaster? I know some had issues selecting seats and then they were not available since someone selected them right before they did but aside from that what was the issue? I was able to get tickets for Boston with ease and even went in 10 minutes later to see what else was there and was still able to pull tickets. This system beats the hell out of the bots cleaning up seconds after the drop. 
    Maybe it depends on the show or the venue. I only tried for Detroit. The main issue for me was like you said. I'd select a pair of tickets then it would say someone else beat me to them. That happened to me for about an hour, over and over again. I was logged on before the sale and was already behind over 2,000 other fans at 10:00 am. That is all OK with me even though it's frustrating. 

What I have an issue with is that minutes later, those same tickets that "another fan" beat me to are miraculously available again but now they cost 5-10 times what they cost minutes before. 

Whether it's TM themselves or other people buying tickets and then immediately selling them again for massively increased prices sucks. There is no added value to these tickets, it's just that someone shoved their way into the position of middleman. 

It's the "Verified Resale" system that allows that to happen. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    Maybe it depends on the show or the venue. I only tried for Detroit. The main issue for me was like you said. I'd select a pair of tickets then it would say someone else beat me to them. That happened to me for about an hour, over and over again. I was logged on before the sale and was already behind over 2,000 other fans at 10:00 am. That is all OK with me even though it's frustrating. 

What I have an issue with is that minutes later, those same tickets that "another fan" beat me to are miraculously available again but now they cost 5-10 times what they cost minutes before. 

Whether it's TM themselves or other people buying tickets and then immediately selling them again for massively increased prices sucks. There is no added value to these tickets, it's just that someone shoved their way into the position of middleman. 

Hard to go against any of that. Did you end up getting any tickets? I am sure you tried everything since you were going at it for an hour but I had the same issue until I went for middle of the pack tickets and not the best I could see and got them right away. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:

Judging from all the blue dots popping up miraculously for double the price , I’m betting it wasn’t another fan beating u to those tickets. I’m willing to bet half the time TM was pulling them. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    dudeman said:
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:

Hard to go against any of that. Did you end up getting any tickets? I am sure you tried everything since you were going at it for an hour but I had the same issue until I went for middle of the pack tickets and not the best I could see and got them right away. 
    I did not buy tickets. The sections I was looking for were the Mezzanine and Lower Level "100" sections that would allow a straight on, or nearly, view of the stage. The goal was to have a view of the whole stage and be in between the two line arrays of speakers for sound quality. That criteria limited me to 8 sections, IIRC. I wasn't trying to get close to the stage or front row of a section. 

Oh well, I might see them on another tour or at another venue sometime. It's not the worst problem in the world by a long shot, just a little disheartening as a human being to see such a display of greed.