Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    If they play 3 or more songs off FI, I doubt we’ll get more than 10 songs a night. (Maybe 11 w/ CCTrip) 

RE: greatest hit sets / older songs, nothing would surprise me... they did bring back Sweat in recent years. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited September 2019
    So many people are going bananas for this album.... I dunno, I can't say I really get the hype. I think it's kinda boring. It's only okay IMO. I would definitely not consider buying it. There are a ton of WAY better albums that have come out this year as far as I'm concerned. I'm a tad disappointed. I am happy for the band though - they must be pretty pleased with the general reception.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    edited September 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    So many people are going bananas for this album.... I dunno, I can't say I really get the hype. I think it's kinda boring. It's only okay IMO. I would definitely not consider buying it. There are a ton of WAY better albums that have come out this year as far as I'm concerned. I'm a tad disappointed. I am happy for the band though - they must be pretty pleased with the general reception.

You have homework!

https://youtu.be/-23__zILRgc

I started off thinking... I like it but the old albums are better.

Then I watched this. When these guys go off the deep end for Pnuema...quite entertaining 

Edit, oops I completely missed "I've  heard better this year. "

Music is subjective. But to someone that feels the complex polyrhythms of AJs magic, Tool is the ultimate. Their worst is  elite.  I better stop it or I'll get kicked off PJs forum ;)
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Which albums?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    PJ_Soul said:

Which albums?
    Tedeschi Trucks-Signs and Raconteurs-Help Us Stranger are two that immediately come to my mind.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067

• Options
    Meh it's subjective. Old mate saying there are WAY better albums out this year just means he likes he likes those albums WAY more. I don't care if there are negative opinions of FI, it's actually nice to see what they find negative about it. I will defend them for the hype though. Name one rock album other than Chinese Democracy that has had more hype/pressure on it. Maynard actually said the crippling fear was one of the reasons it took so long. Plus it's been less than three weeks. Takes me months to digest Tool albums and I love doing so.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    Meh it's subjective. Old mate saying there are WAY better albums out this year just means he likes he likes those albums WAY more. I don't care if there are negative opinions of FI, it's actually nice to see what they find negative about it. I will defend them for the hype though. Name one rock album other than Chinese Democracy that has had more hype/pressure on it. Maynard actually said the crippling fear was one of the reasons it took so long. Plus it's been less than three weeks. Takes me months to digest Tool albums and I love doing so.
    Agreed on pretty much all points. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    JT167846 said:
    Definitely living up to all the hype. It’s really everything there has ever been to love about Tool on one album. I just wish as a band that has preached evolution they showed some growth. Those albums I mentioned have the stuff the bands are known for but some new sounds as well. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    To me it's the best album I've heard in a long time
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

Invincible is growing on me something fierce... this song is amazing.

• Options

I take back what I said earlier in this thread about the last two minutes being unnecessary.
    I didn't realise they're the same lyrics as that synth part, it makes sense as it now fits to my ears and makes me love the song more.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

I take back what I said earlier in this thread about the last two minutes being unnecessary.
    I didn't realise they're the same lyrics as that synth part, it makes sense as it now fits to my ears and makes me love the song more.

I struggled with the synth part for a while, but I'm warming up to it...

The bass in the last two minutes is fantastic, as are all the instruments combined around the 4:00 mark & on... it's a really dynamic song, I can't wait to see it played live.

• Options
    I love the lyrics. I like that synth part. Took me a while to love the last 2 minutes. Yes, the bass is awesome.
    Descending has great lyrics but it's the hardest song to get into. It feels like there's so much in there like with Tempest. 
  • Options
    I love the lyrics. I like that synth part. Took me a while to love the last 2 minutes. Yes, the bass is awesome.
    Descending has great lyrics but it's the hardest song to get into. It feels like there's so much in there like with Tempest. 
    Pnuma?  Meh Descending?  Yes please.  That is starting to grab me now.  
  • Options
    Pnuema is my probably my favourite on the album.
    That and Culling Voices are phenomenal. 
  • Options
    Pnuema is my probably my favourite on the album.
    That and Culling Voices are phenomenal. 

The breakdown in Pneuma is fantastic, but the song as a whole has yet to REALLY grab me... same with Culling Voices. I don't dislike them, I just need more time with them (which is one of my favorite things about this band... if something doesn't click, come back to it later, odds are it will at some point)

Descending is probably my favorite, with Invincible gaining on it.

I really can't get enough of these 2 songs. In addition to Invincible, I'm really looking forward to hearing the full version of Descending live (I've only seen the shortened preview they were playing from 2015 right up until the debut of the song earlier this year).

• Options
    Those two songs you love took me the longest to get into.
    Pnuema grabbed me on the first listen and by the second or third listens I was so excited and moved.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786
    Descending has finally got me, after almost 3 weeks. It’s fuckin amazing 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    JT167846 said:
    Yes, exactly, of course it's subjective. I thought it was universally known that when someone says what they think about music it is their subjective opinion. Not to the mention the fact that I literally said "as far as I'm concerned." I sincerely don't get why people often feel the need to read what is obviously an opinion, and then make a case about how that's only an opinion and not a fact, lol. (and the haters thing... ugh, I won't even bother to comment further!)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    JT167846 said:
    Yes, exactly, of course it's subjective. I thought it was universally known that when someone says what they think about music it is their subjective opinion. Not to the mention the fact that I literally said "as far as I'm concerned." I sincerely don't get why people often feel the need to read what is obviously an opinion, and then make a case about how that's only an opinion and not a fact, lol. (and the haters thing... ugh, I won't even bother to comment further!)

Your only contribution to the thread was to take a shit on the new record, so I'm not sure what sort of response you expected. It's not exactly a thoughtful critique. As a comparison, there's a reason I stay out of the Wilco and Jack White threads!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

Which albums?
    Just off the top of my head, I've preferred:

Gary Clarke Jr - This Land
    Kevin Morby - Oh My God
    The Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger
    The National - I Am Easy to Find
    Foals - Part 1 Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost
    David Wax Museum - Line of Light

I don't even think all of these are super great (the first 3 are for sure). A couple of them are a bit overly folksy. I just liked them better than the new Tool album... And not for lack of trying with Tool. I've listened to it three times through, and it's just not really grabbing me, which sucks. That said, I don't hate the new Tool album. It's not like it's a new Pearl Jam album. =) It's just a bit of a meh for me, while it seems to be blowing other minds. The beginning is good... but then it starts feeling like I'm just listening to the same thing for too long. Which is too bad, because I do really dig the experimental elements of it. Some of that is truly impressive. As an overall start to finish listen? Not so much.

Edit, upon further thought, it's not the album as a whole that really gets old for me. It's each song. Each song starts great for me, but I'm kinda bored with it by the end in most cases. The songs are bloody long. I'm not always against super long songs (I'm a fan of live Led Zeppelin and Neil Young after all). But in this case, the long songs just get to be too much of the same thing. And by the time I'm 1/2 or 2/3 through the albums, I'm a little bit sick of the whole experience in general.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JT167846 said:

Your only contribution to the thread was to take a shit on the new record, so I'm not sure what sort of response you expected. It's not exactly a thoughtful critique. As a comparison, there's a reason I stay out of the Wilco and Jack White threads!
    I truly did not expect your response (and it wasn't my only contribution to the thread). I thought everyone here was a bit more mature than that. This is a thread for thoughts about Tool, which I offered. Apparently I didn't live up to your high expectations as a music critic, lol. Also, I didn't "take a shit" on the new record FFS (it does seem like somebody shit in your corn flakes though!). And why would I stay out of the Tool thread?? I really like Tool. I only stay out of the threads where I couldn't care less about the artist. That isn't the case for me with Tool.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JT167846 said:

I truly did not expect your response (and it wasn't my only contribution to the thread). I thought everyone here was a bit more mature than that. This is a thread for thoughts about Tool, which I offered. Apparently I didn't live up to your high expectations as a music critic, lol. Also, I didn't "take a shit" on the new record FFS (it does seem like somebody shit in your corn flakes though!). And why would I stay out of the Tool thread?? I really like Tool. I only stay out of the threads where I couldn't care less about the artist. That isn't the case for me with Tool.
    Apologies on assuming you're not a Tool fan. But come on, re-read your post. And the very relevant meme is a joke.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    I love how MJK enunciate the word Pneuma, the bass and the drums at all tracks, the lyrics of course..
    Headphones or not, this is a masterpiece..at the same level with Lateralus..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    I've decided to take a day or so break from the album. Been on play every day since release.
  • Options
    I've decided to take a day or so break from the album. Been on play every day since release.
    Been finding that listening the whole way through is too much. Before Descending is where I break it up. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Been finding that listening the whole way through is too much. Before Descending is where I break it up. 
    Lately I have been starting with Invincible. I already love the first three tracks so might as well start where I need to digest more.
  • Options

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    pjl44 said:

Nice, hopefully sooner than later now. Don't need the AARP album in 2032. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...