Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Awesome. Sometimes coming back with fresh ears helps.
    I just didn't want to get exhausted from the album which is why I gave it a rest.
    I listened to King Crimson for a week instead!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I think I'm liking this more then I did the last two albums ...
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Same here.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,530
    Invincible is my thing..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Same here.
    Me too.
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,959
    Jason P said:
    Same here.
    Me too.
    It seems a bit more ‘accessible’ than 10k days, despite its length. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    Invincible is my thing..
    yeah this one I am really loving now after not really loving it at first.
    Warrior, struggling, to remain, consequential 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,530
    23scidoo said:
    Invincible is my thing..
    yeah this one I am really loving now after not really loving it at first.
    Warrior, struggling, to remain, consequential 
    Love the bass so mush on this..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    Has anyone caught an update on the second run of Fear Inoculum? The link on page 51 of this thread said they would ship at the end of September. Did anyone here order this?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,289
    dudeman said:
    Has anyone caught an update on the second run of Fear Inoculum? The link on page 51 of this thread said they would ship at the end of September. Did anyone here order this?

I ordered it. Have not received it yet.  Haven't seen a shipping confirmation yet either.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    Miraculously more tickets popped up for Barclays. You know , “the platinum” ones. Over $400 face value. I can’t believe TM is allowed to openly price gouge and it’s legal 
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,289
    nicknyr15 said:
    Miraculously more tickets popped up for Barclays. You know , “the platinum” ones. Over $400 face value. I can’t believe TM is allowed to openly price gouge and it’s legal 
    yeah, they are essentially working as a in-house scalping company based on supply and demand.  "prices may fluctuate based on demand"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited October 2019
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    yeah, they are essentially working as a in-house scalping company based on supply and demand.  "prices may fluctuate based on demand"

Some Boston tickets also popped up this week, balcony seats, priced @ $225 or so, tickets that were 75 or so during the regular sale.

What a racket.

• Options
    I just honestly don’t understand how that’s legal. I, as a small business owner, would be fined by consumer affairs if I charged people different prices for the same item. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,086
    nicknyr15 said:
    I just honestly don’t understand how that’s legal. I, as a small business owner, would be fined by consumer affairs if I charged people different prices for the same item. 
    Airlines and hotels charge difference prices for the same item. Car rentals and baseball cards too.

The reality is that technology has brought us to a point where you can see the true market value for individual shows. I'd rather see that money go into the pockets of the people putting on the event than scalpers. Nowadays if someone wants to pay 400 bucks for that seat, they can. It's just a matter of who gets the money.

Instead of complaining about this system, exploit it. I get tickets to concerts and baseball games well below face value all the time. You have to be willing to wait until last minute and accept either overpaying or not going about 20% of the time. But way more often than not, I get a deal.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    edited October 2019
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Seriously, how it is legal is beyond me. I really really wish some leaders would do something about it. Some legislation against this is badly needed, in Canada and the US.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Seriously, how it is legal is beyond me. I really really wish some leaders would do something about it. Some legislation against this is badly needed, in Canada and the US.
    Concert tickets are luxury items and promoters/bands should be able to charge whatever and however the market bears. I don't like paying $400 for a ticket either so I don't go to many high profile arena shows. If you live near an arena, there is no shortage of $20-50 club shows in your area.
  • Options
    tusevuntusevun Posts: 219
    I paid $35 to see them a few months ago. they are not worth, imo, more than $100. 
  • Options
    RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    There is legislation in the works in both NY state and at least discussed on a national level for the US. The problem is that with the internet, you can buy tickets from anywhere and sell them even if you had no way of actually going to the show itself which makes it hard to enforce. I know people were upset about the amount of information they had to give out for QOTSA tickets on the Villains tour but that seemed to work really well. Sometimes you get lucky with scalpers though. Wound up with a great set of seats for a show a couple months ago for about a third of the face value because it was a few hours before the show and the scalper was in the "I need to recover a little so it's not a total loss" mode.
    I am wired and fading...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    edited October 2019
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Concert tickets are luxury items and promoters/bands should be able to charge whatever and however the market bears. I don't like paying $400 for a ticket either so I don't go to many high profile arena shows. If you live near an arena, there is no shortage of $20-50 club shows in your area.

Is that money going to the performers?
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    This is all nonsense to me. A luxury item? No. And to only be able to see less popular bands is a non argument. It’s all bullshit to me 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Yes and no.

The band gets paid a premium no matter how many tix get sold.

The venue tries to recoup that and make a profit by reselling those tix.

That $500 VIP stuff goes straight to the band though.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I like the idea of tiered pricing right out the gate when the tickets go on sale. Case in point, I paid about $200 for a pair of 14th row center seats to see Vampire Weekend next spring (this was through the LiveNation mobile app presale). My buddy paid about $20 or so less per ticket to sit 12 rows behind us. (It was 140 or so for the 1st three rows IIRC) I could have easily got tickets for less than $130 / pair for that show, we just would have been a lot further back from the stage. That's the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Guns & Roses also got creative with the ticket pricing when they announced their reunion tour a couple of years ago. I'm all for new ideas to take scalpers out of the equation. If the marked up tickets don't sell, they can always put them back out at a lower price.

At least if the seats are tiered from the get-go, scalpers will likely get phased out of the more expensive seats as their potential for markup will be limited. Like @PJ44 suggested, at least the money is going to whomever is actually putting on the show as opposed to some scumbag on the other side of the country.

My issue with the platinum seats is this: what's to keep Ticketmaster from holding back X amount of tickets for shows they know will sell out quickly, and then rebranding them as platinum a month later at a 250% markup?

I'm all for taking the scalpers out of the game, and would rather see the money go to the artists / venue etc, but this platinum ticket thing is shady AF.

• Options

I like the idea of tiered pricing right out the gate when the tickets go on sale. Case in point, I paid about $200 for a pair of 14th row center seats to see Vampire Weekend next spring (this was through the LiveNation mobile app presale). My buddy paid about $20 or so less per ticket to sit 12 rows behind us. (It was 140 or so for the 1st three rows IIRC) I could have easily got tickets for less than $130 / pair for that show, we just would have been a lot further back from the stage. That's the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Guns & Roses also got creative with the ticket pricing when they announced their reunion tour a couple of years ago. I'm all for new ideas to take scalpers out of the equation. If the marked up tickets don't sell, they can always put them back out at a lower price.

At least if the seats are tiered from the get-go, scalpers will likely get phased out of the more expensive seats as their potential for markup will be limited. Like @PJ44 suggested, at least the money is going to whomever is actually putting on the show as opposed to some scumbag on the other side of the country.

My issue with the platinum seats is this: what's to keep Ticketmaster from holding back X amount of tickets for shows they know will sell out quickly, and then rebranding them as platinum a month later at a 250% markup?

I'm all for taking the scalpers out of the game, and would rather see the money go to the artists / venue etc, but this platinum ticket thing is shady AF.

Tiered tickets to me equals a caste system.

Only if you have money can you be up close to the band!!!!

Get the F outta here.

Oh and the tix labeled as "platinum" are held back by TM and sold for maximum profit.  That's how they do shit.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,256

Get the F outta here.

Oh and the tix labeled as "platinum" are held back by TM and sold for maximum profit.  That's how they do shit.
    The thing is, most of those tickets weren't getting in the hands of fans.  They were getting in the hands of scalpers, and the scalpers would flip them for huge profits.  I also loathe the whole tiered thing.  I've had had pretty good luck over the years at getting decent tickets to shows.   As a result I'm super uppidity when it comes to tickets, and loathe not having good ones.  Still, what GNR and other bands are doing with tiered/platinum tickets allows them to earn that money, instead of scalpers.

That being said.  There's the other route.  If you're going to underprice your tickets, you need to control the tickets.  I think PJ's last tour was really good for that.   They continued to sell tickets much lower that what their peers charge, but used the 10c and verified fan to try and keep them out of the hands of scalpers.   I think it worked pretty well because tickets were fairly scarce on reseller websites.

Also platinum tickets money is going to the promoter, who pays the band.   TM makes it's money off the service fee's, not the actual cost of the ticket.
  • Options

Get the F outta here.

Those front row tickets are way more valuable than the back row of the floor, I have no problem with the artists or venue pricing the tickets based on perceived value from the get go.

If they are over priced then people won't pay and the prices will eventually drop.

I understand your argument, but having one price for all floor seats creates the environment for the scalpers to thrive, so I'm on board with anything that will hurt the secondary market at this point.

• Options

Get the F outta here.

Those front row tickets are way more valuable than the back row of the floor, I have no problem with the artists or venue pricing the tickets based on perceived value from the get go.

If they are over priced then people won't pay and the prices will eventually drop.

I understand your argument, but having one price for all floor seats creates the environment for the scalpers to thrive, so I'm on board with anything that will hurt the secondary market at this point.

People that pay big money for tickets aren't usually "fans" and would rather be seen or impress a person(s).  Just from an experience standpoint.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I get what you're trying to say but it's a horrible take and reeks of classism.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148
    Zod said:

Get the F outta here.

The thing is, most of those tickets weren't getting in the hands of fans.  They were getting in the hands of scalpers, and the scalpers would flip them for huge profits.  I also loathe the whole tiered thing.  I've had had pretty good luck over the years at getting decent tickets to shows.   As a result I'm super uppidity when it comes to tickets, and loathe not having good ones.  Still, what GNR and other bands are doing with tiered/platinum tickets allows them to earn that money, instead of scalpers.

That being said.  There's the other route.  If you're going to underprice your tickets, you need to control the tickets.  I think PJ's last tour was really good for that.   They continued to sell tickets much lower that what their peers charge, but used the 10c and verified fan to try and keep them out of the hands of scalpers.   I think it worked pretty well because tickets were fairly scarce on reseller websites.

Also platinum tickets money is going to the promoter, who pays the band.   TM makes it's money off the service fee's, not the actual cost of the ticket.

That's an excellent comment, even from my biased perspective. Let's remember many bands and promoters distribute tickets directly to scalpers to sell  to generate revenue. My preference would be to just put the higher price on the face of the ticket for the good seats

Also, charging the same price for prime seats and terrible seats... that I just dont get. It's great PJ tries to keep the cost down, but is that really true for those of us not smart enough to join a club 20 years ago and sit a mile away?

$125 for a brutally terrible seat does not feel like a deal. Yeah it's for a tremendous band but not hearing a Mike solo because Jimmy has to tell Jill how much he loves her during Mike's solo is a frustrating experience. 

FWIW I have always believed requesting a customers money without disclosing seat location was a poor business practice. I pay the price of that 20 year old decision I made to not join (until I learned of the GA policy), but I fully understand it

I respect PJ tries to address this with their GA random draw, but ticket distribution still seems significantly unbalanced. 

Excluding those with less money, or those without long term membership.  Both are forms of exclusion.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:

It's going to the performers and/or whomever they have chosen to work with. The people who are putting on the event.