Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    tbergs said:
    PJNB said:
    So the album is coming...

When is it coming exactly?

Yes I am excited!  Just when?

Isn't that only the new song?  If it is a whole album well then I will be even happier!
    That's everything. Sweet end to summer. Their last album kicked off summer and this will end it. 
    AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

As someone who doesn't stream, what's the advantage of having it streaming? Being able to add to Spotify playlists & the like? (Not being sarcastic, I have my MP3s and Sirius / Xm.... I don't stream, so I'm genuinely curious)

Also, the 8/30 was announced by the band a month or two ago, no? That certainly wasn't news yesterday.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

As someone who doesn't stream, what's the advantage of having it streaming? Being able to add to Spotify playlists & the like? (Not being sarcastic, I have my MP3s and Sirius / Xm.... I don't stream, so I'm genuinely curious)

Also, the 8/30 was announced by the band a month or two ago, no? That certainly wasn't news yesterday.

it means you can listen to it on your mobile devices without having to worry about uploading the cd files to your computer, adding it to your itunes library, etc, etc. 

which is not something I worry about anyway. but apparently I'm a dinosaur. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881

it means you can listen to it on your mobile devices without having to worry about uploading the cd files to your computer, adding it to your itunes library, etc, etc. 

I'm with you guys. I don't get the hype/excitement over previously released stuff being added in another format.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options

On an unrelated note, the Tool Subreddit is f'ing anarchy, and makes the 10c forum seem like high society.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

I'm with you guys. I don't get the hype/excitement over previously released stuff being added in another format.
    Well, with a streaming account like Spotify, it means that if someone was talking about an album you might say "damn, I haven't heard that in years", and simply decide to listen to it instead of ordering it from Amazon, waiting for delivery, ripping to the computer, copying to iTunes, and downloading to your phone which may or may not have available space on it. Or buying the digital files on iTunes - I don't want to buy something just to check it out, or listen to it once or twice. I'm old school in a lot of ways (mostly chronological, lol) but streaming is a great way to have instant access to whatever I feel like listening to. I still buy vinyl, but I don't buy music in any other format. If I want to own it, I'll by it on vinyl. Otherwise, I'll stream it. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

we have apple music, but I disabled it on my phone as it started to fuck with my library. it was changing artwork, song titles under different released, it drove me nuts. My daughters use it, so that's fine. but it's a shitty tool as far as I'm concerned. i'm told spotify doesn't do that, but a whole shitload of stuff I listen to isn't available on those streaming sites anyways (b sides, rarities, etc) so it's of no bother to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and after this long, I've honestly lost all interest in Tool now anyway. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:

Well, with a streaming account like Spotify, it means that if someone was talking about an album you might say "damn, I haven't heard that in years", and simply decide to listen to it instead of ordering it from Amazon, waiting for delivery, ripping to the computer, copying to iTunes, and downloading to your phone which may or may not have available space on it. Or buying the digital files on iTunes - I don't want to buy something just to check it out, or listen to it once or twice. I'm old school in a lot of ways (mostly chronological, lol) but streaming is a great way to have instant access to whatever I feel like listening to. I still buy vinyl, but I don't buy music in any other format. If I want to own it, I'll by it on vinyl. Otherwise, I'll stream it. 

Awesome.. I'm a dinosaur too, so I was curious. Makes perfect sense.
  • Options

Understandable. Personally I never got tired of seeing them live, despite playing mostly the same stuff live for the last 12 years.

As limited as the catalog is, I still think they're one of the best acts of my life, and frankly too damn good to let this hiatus get in the way of my enjoyment of what they do. (which is just my opinion, I understand and respect yours)

• Options

Understandable. Personally I never got tired of seeing them live, despite playing mostly the same stuff live for the last 12 years.

As limited as the catalog is, I still think they're one of the best acts of my life, and frankly too damn good to let this hiatus get in the way of my enjoyment of what they do. (which is just my opinion, I understand and respect yours)

it's mainly because I was never a huge fan to begin with. I had all their albums, for a period I listened to them quite often, but without the emotional component that ties my relationship to their music, they just don't do it for me anymore. Hell, I might feel the same had they released 3 albums during this time.

I saw them live once and they were phenomenal, but I don't have this great urge to see them again, knowing what you said, that they don't deviate the setlist much. I like bands that engage, not just a band that is performing math set to a rhythm.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

it's mainly because I was never a huge fan to begin with. I had all their albums, for a period I listened to them quite often, but without the emotional component that ties my relationship to their music, they just don't do it for me anymore. Hell, I might feel the same had they released 3 albums during this time.

I saw them live once and they were phenomenal, but I don't have this great urge to see them again, knowing what you said, that they don't deviate the setlist much. I like bands that engage, not just a band that is performing math set to a rhythm.  
    But they're so much more than just a band...to me, anyway.  I don't need or want Maynard to engage if that's not his thing.

After having seen them three times, plus once each for Puscifer and APC, I don't expect any surprises.  Just a fucking amazing band with phenomenal vocals and lyrics.

(I've heard there's some connection made with the logo and old-school syringes; makes sense, given the album title.)
  • Options

I get that, to each his own. I was into Undertow in high school, and when Aenima came out my freshman year in college it changed the game for me. They’re one of my top 3, despite the lack of material for the last 13 years. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:

But they're so much more than just a band...to me, anyway.  I don't need or want Maynard to engage if that's not his thing.

After having seen them three times, plus once each for Puscifer and APC, I don't expect any surprises.  Just a fucking amazing band with phenomenal vocals and lyrics.

(I've heard there's some connection made with the logo and old-school syringes; makes sense, given the album title.)
    I held out on Puscifer for a while, but the second album got me... they are so freaking good, as is APC. I don’t love 100% of their content, but will never pass up the opportunity to see either of them, OR Tool for that matter. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I held out on Puscifer for a while, but the second album got me... they are so freaking good, as is APC. I don’t love 100% of their content, but will never pass up the opportunity to see either of them, OR Tool for that matter. 
    Seeing APC from the first row at the Hollywood Bowl is one of the highlights of my concert experiences.

We watched the Rogan podcast last night; some great random stuff in there, plus just shooting the shit.  Love those men's brains.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    I haven't even gotten around to giving 10,000 Days a listen yet.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 820
    As with every Tool release 10,000 Days takes a while to grow on you. It's like playing Pass The Parcel at a birthday party-every time you listen to it you peel off a layer. You find one bit you like, then another bit, then an awesome bit, then you realise that the way the songs are put together is amazing. It's rabbit hole stuff though and defo don't begrudge anyone's negative opinion of the band. Vicarious is epic, that and The Pot are the most immediate songs. There are two opuses on there-Wings/10,000 Days and Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. I'd recommend Rosetta Stoned to someone familiar with Tool and musicians as that song is a mindfuck about the singer of Green Jelly on an acid trip. Danny Carey is for mine the best drummer in the world and his work on the middle sections of the song are possibly his best ever. Dude plays three time signatures at once.

As for Fear Inoculum, Adam is on the cover of Guitar World next month and you can already find the article online. 7 songs, the album has recurring themes of 7. Hopefully they are 7 amazing pieces. Hell it's out this month. Hugh I'd give it a go once or twice just to see how they've progressed musically-I've done that to other bands I became meh about. Might be lucky and happen to dig it.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    As with every Tool release 10,000 Days takes a while to grow on you. It's like playing Pass The Parcel at a birthday party-every time you listen to it you peel off a layer. You find one bit you like, then another bit, then an awesome bit, then you realise that the way the songs are put together is amazing. It's rabbit hole stuff though and defo don't begrudge anyone's negative opinion of the band. Vicarious is epic, that and The Pot are the most immediate songs. There are two opuses on there-Wings/10,000 Days and Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned. I'd recommend Rosetta Stoned to someone familiar with Tool and musicians as that song is a mindfuck about the singer of Green Jelly on an acid trip. Danny Carey is for mine the best drummer in the world and his work on the middle sections of the song are possibly his best ever. Dude plays three time signatures at once.

As for Fear Inoculum, Adam is on the cover of Guitar World next month and you can already find the article online. 7 songs, the album has recurring themes of 7. Hopefully they are 7 amazing pieces. Hell it's out this month. Hugh I'd give it a go once or twice just to see how they've progressed musically-I've done that to other bands I became meh about. Might be lucky and happen to dig it.
    Perfect description.

Perfect.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    I enjoyed 10,000 days right away but like it even more today. I will admit that I do not like their odd stuff that they throw into the albums and I skip them right away but as far as true songs go they do not have a bad one imo. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    Can't wait for this one!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    hedonist said:

no, of course I don't want engagement that is fake. I just like engagement in my rock acts. youtube some Headstones live stuff for an idea of what my thing is. 

I enjoyed APC way more than Tool live. Seen APC twice. It's like MJK has different performing personalities. Way more engaged when I saw him with APC. 

And I generally need some type of relatability in my music. I just don't relate to Tool's lyrics or themes in any way. It's why "grunge" was so huge for me. I always knew the metal I liked was missing something, but I didn't know what it was. I loved the heavy rock, but the lyrics and comical/fantastical theatrics never did it for me. It's why I actually like post-black album metallica more than pre-black album metallica: they lyrics. Huge fan of St Anger. only person on the planet, apparently. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JT167846 said:

oh I'll probably buy it on release day, you can be sure of that. as a massive music fan, I always keep an open mind. 

except for nickelback. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JT167846 said:

oh I'll probably buy it on release day, you can be sure of that. as a massive music fan, I always keep an open mind. 

except for nickelback. 
    Hater...
  • Options
    JT167846 said:

except for nickelback. 
    Hater...
    hater of kroegerback? colour me purple and call me larry, you're right! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JT167846 said:

Perfect description.

Perfect.
    Agreed!  Though I'd put Peart with Carey.  Same league, different styles.  When we spotted Danny at a small Puscifer show here in LA, the dude was friendly, down-to-earth, and literally stood head and shoulders over everyone else =)

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this album, from the title alone.  Can't wait to delve into the lyrics.  Well, into the whole thing.

HFD, I didn't think I could relate much to the band when my husband first introduced me to them way back via a CD mix.  First up was Stinkfist and I thought "oh c'mon" at the opening.  By the time I got to H and then Prison Sex (only video ever to make me cry, it hit so fucking close to home), I was in for good.  The writing is always impeccable, poetic in its way, and ultimately honest.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
    All albums now available in 24Bit 96kHz Flac-HD. Was hoping for 24Bit 129kHz.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,756
    I do not use Reddit. What is it?
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    PJNB said:
    I do not use Reddit. What is it?
    You can read the thread, reddit is not private.  Outtakes of Adam Jones interview in Guitar world next month with talk of the album.  7 songs, 80 minutes long. Some speculation from fans. etc. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...