Options

We are opening a new it's not a tour rumor thread

Comments

• Options
    This is just wishful thinking, but something tells me they will tour after the Temple of the Dog run. For a band that tours quite a bit, it seems strange they would JUST tour east coast. Especially in a "Hall of Fame" year. You have to think they will for sure hit the west (maybe midwest) this spring/summer. Hopefully this also includes a slight Canadian detour (HINT HINT WINNIPEG PLEASE).
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    I think what we all need is a world tour 2017. 100+ shows next year and a bunch of different countries. Then they can take a good 3 years off and no one can complain.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    MYM said:

While I would LOVE for them to come to Texas next year, I was just listening to some songs on shuffle and Baba (Fenway 1) came on....at the end, Ed said "See you next year"

Perhaps a little slip of the tongue....but maybe there's something behind it.

That was at the end of the first show on 8/5. He was drunk and obviously forgot that they were playing another show on 8/7. He just got too caught up in introducing the various band members for the 10th time that night. the sound guy should recognize that as his cue to kill the mic otherwise Vedder will continue to tell everybody that Boom is from Hawaii and the drummer's name is Matt Cameron.
  • Options

I think what we all need is a world tour 2017. 100+ shows next year and a bunch of different countries. Then they can take a good 3 years off and no one can complain.

Great idea and I am all in.
    Sad thing is there are people on here that would bitch that it should should've been 200+ shows.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486

That's an awful idea, where do I begin....firstly everyone would be broke to straight up to do all the shows let alone have to upfront pay for all the tickets.

Then wait 3 years to see the band wth?

15 shows a year is fine...always need more but much better approach.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,396
    edited October 2016
    Brisk. said:

That's an awful idea, where do I begin....firstly everyone would be broke to straight up to do all the shows let alone have to upfront pay for all the tickets.

Then wait 3 years to see the band wth?

15 shows a year is fine...always need more but much better approach.
    Okay so the sarcasm didnt get through apparently. So where do I begin...

Why would anyone attempt to go to every show? Sure its PJ but no one is that stupid to throw every dime to their name out for that if it really were 100+

God forbid you wait three years to see them again. Im sure no one has ever had to wait that long before. (Sarcasm)
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Ok I get it, sorry sarcasm doesn't translate well on a forum.
    Even 20 shows of that in one go would be expensive.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649
    I really dont want them to tour again until they have new music. Redesign their stage and sets, maybe go back to having an opener.
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    European festival announcements will start ramping up in November/December and that it seems when there appear to be more noise about possible gigs/tour generally.
    In terms of small gigs, they played Shepherds Bush in London in 2009 which is 2000 capacity.
    They've played other 'smaller' arenas over here I guess, Leeds in 2014 - 13,000 , Dublin 2010 - 13,000, Belfast 2010 - 11,000
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    jdopj said:

I really dont want them to tour again until they have new music. Redesign their stage and sets, maybe go back to having an opener.

Assuming you weren't trying your hand at sarcasm, I have to respectfully and whole-heartedly disagree with the above. They don't ever need an opener again.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801

jdopj said:

Assuming you weren't trying your hand at sarcasm, I have to respectfully and whole-heartedly disagree with the above. They don't ever need an opener again.
    Yes please. No openers ever again
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    jdopj said:

There is no need for an opener at this point.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    They should play NYC the day after the rock and roll hall of fame ceremony!!!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,510
    Agree, no openers, just an Evening with Pearl Jam. That's what we all want. If you want to discover new music, read Pitchfork, CoS etc.. and go see those bands for $15 when they come through your town.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,698

jdopj said:

Agreed
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    jdopj said:

None of this stuff is even remotely important to PJ going out on tour. I wouldn't complain about them having new music but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

The stage set? Sure change it up by doing away with anything other than instruments, electronics and amplification. Other than that, who cares?

Pearl Jam never needs an opener. Ever.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,510
    I'm hoping for the west coast, followed by an Atlantic Canada tour hitting Moncton, Fredericton, Saint John, Charlottetown, Antigonish, Corner Brook and St. John's! (I can dream right?)
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    mwplum said:

I'm hoping for the west coast, followed by an Atlantic Canada tour hitting Moncton, Fredericton, Saint John, Charlottetown, Antigonish, Corner Brook and St. John's! (I can dream right?)

Sure you can dream. Actually that Canadian portion would be cool as hell. I would certainly want to attend any or all of them.
  • Options
    Shoot.. i'm not picky. Give me dates in the continental US. They can come to me or I can go to them
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 886
    Zod said:

I wonder what they mean by small club tho.
    They could play places like Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Holds only like 5,000 people, and they can do a 10c only tour with these "small" club type venues.
    One can dream.

I keep re-editing my post because I keep feeling I'm being negative..... 5000 people isn't that many. Especially for a place like Chicago that has 11 million people in the area. Tickets would be extremely hard to come by. If they did shows like that, there's a strong chance you wouldn't be going. I'd rather them play venues where I have a reasonable chance of getting in the door.

The other part is that I think the Band's bread and butter is touring. I can't see them making a fortune off the limited edition small run stuff. They must make it on all the ticket sales and merch they sell to all of us at the shows. I could see them doing a few small shows (like the showbox one's in 02), but a whole tour of it, that'd be tough. It'd be a huge pay cut for them, and they'd have to deal with all the complaints about people not getting tickets?

That's why it'd be a 10c only tour..I think you're over estimating how many fan club members there are. Sure in bigger cities like Chicago they'd have to do 2 nights because of the demand but if they did a whole 10-15 city tour the demand would get spread out.
    Money isn't an issue anymore obviously so the pay cut thing doesn't make sense.
    And all people do is complain about the ticket process so there would be nothing different there either.
    OBVIOUSLY this isn't going to happen anyway :b would just be killer if it did and I think it's totally possible IF they wanted to.
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630

Zod said:

I wonder what they mean by small club tho.
    They could play places like Aragon Ballroom in Chicago. Holds only like 5,000 people, and they can do a 10c only tour with these "small" club type venues.
    One can dream.

I keep re-editing my post because I keep feeling I'm being negative..... 5000 people isn't that many. Especially for a place like Chicago that has 11 million people in the area. Tickets would be extremely hard to come by. If they did shows like that, there's a strong chance you wouldn't be going. I'd rather them play venues where I have a reasonable chance of getting in the door.

The other part is that I think the Band's bread and butter is touring. I can't see them making a fortune off the limited edition small run stuff. They must make it on all the ticket sales and merch they sell to all of us at the shows. I could see them doing a few small shows (like the showbox one's in 02), but a whole tour of it, that'd be tough. It'd be a huge pay cut for them, and they'd have to deal with all the complaints about people not getting tickets?

That's why it'd be a 10c only tour..I think you're over estimating how many fan club members there are. Sure in bigger cities like Chicago they'd have to do 2 nights because of the demand but if they did a whole 10-15 city tour the demand would get spread out.
    And all people do is complain about the ticket process so there would be nothing different there either.
    OBVIOUSLY this isn't going to happen anyway :b would just be killer if it did and I think it's totally possible IF they wanted to.
    Don't be naive, money is the main issue.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    No openers please... thanks
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think there are more fan club members than you think. That's why it's incredibly hard to get fan club tickets now (especially for shows in the US NorthEast and Seattle). There are loads of people trying to land tickets. PJ also doesn't tour much so not only do you have local fans trying to go, you've got all sorts of fans traveling in for it. You can't really not let them come, because there's so many places the band doesn't play. Scalping isn't the only reason tickets are hard to come by for concerts. It's all the people that want to go to them.

Secondly I think you're wrong about the money. It's pretty obvious that many of the band members have family high up their priority list. To me I think they've found their sweet spot with touring, making money etc... They usually play a month or so of dates (maybe two 1 month legs if an album drops). Sometimes they add in a festival with a big pay day or a Stadium show. For a month or so of work every year they make enough they don't have to tour the other 10 to 11 months. They do pretty good. They probably make more from a single night of touring (when you combine ticket sales plus merch sales) than they do with the limited edition merch in the shop. They use that time to play a month of 5000 seat venues, not only do they loose all that ticket money, but that's way less people buying concert merch too. I don't think the band is all about money, but they are certainly smart enough to figure out how to tour efficiently and keep making a living. Not having to be on the road for 10 or 11 months on the road really helps with the family thing.

I don't see small venue tours happening. I can definitely see standalone dates here and there, but they seem like the kind of guys that if they're going to be away from home for a month or two, they're going to make it worthwhile.

You'd also need more than two dates in Chicago. I think the GA section in Chicago was 5000 people (my ticket read ticket 3750). There was probably more than that with seats. I would be surprised if they're were more than 10000 or 15000 people total with 10c tickets at Wrigley. That doesn't include all the members who missed out on tickets and had to go via regular tickets. Half the place was probably 10c members.. lol.
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    edited October 2016
    At our local news; Pearl Jam is NOT going to perform on Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands. Another let down. Do they realize Europe exist or nah..?
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 912
    Interesting. Pretty surprised. Does Europe still happen or is it a quiet 2017 will a couple of us festivals sprinkled in?
  • Options
    wbutler29 said:

Interesting. Pretty surprised. Does Europe still happen or is it a quiet 2017 will a couple of us festivals sprinkled in?

Silently hoping for Ziggo Dome. But it could be a couple of US only gigs, I won't be suprised.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 649

jdopj said:

No. Not sarcasm. I love an evening with as much as anyone, but I think on a night to night basis they dont have the energy to do 35 songs. The LB tour has been going on for 3 years. A change is needed. No more swinging balls.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    I think the 3 hour sets are here to stay (Well at least until Ed or someone else in the band get's to old to do it). Springsteen is in his later 60's and plays for even longer. I think he set out to break his own personal records this year with 4 hour+ sets.. lol. Ed doesn't seem to be in bad shape or anything. He was doing flying leaps at Wrigley....
  • Options
    Tom Wilson the president of the redwings was on a local morning show here in the detroit area and said that bands have contacted the wings about playing shows to close the joe. He didn't give any names though....!?
  • Options
    See, these are the types of juicy tidbits that feed a rumor mill.