Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    gsamarcogsamarco Raleigh, NC Posts: 15
    I live in Raleigh, I'm flockin' pissed, but I support the band's decision. It was a beautiful F#c% You to stupidity.
    From the beginning I've been saying this law is stupid, and I'm not even liberal. WTF, what's next separated bathrooms for blacks and whites? This is discrimination, I don't care how you spin it.
    I would't mind some tickets for Chicago instead...
    Still pissed as flock though.
    Brasilia, Brazil 11/17/2015
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    nukeboot said:

Beyond our Pearl Jam bubble, this isn't going to have much impact.
    PJ just isn't going to get the same sort of news coverage that Bruce got.

They should have played the whole show wearing sensible dresses.
    That would have been a bigger story.

"Sensible dresses" =)

People are allowed to be pissed off and vent. I've seen others huff and puff about much less on these forums. Perhaps the fuck-you's are over the top but I understand the anger of some. That isn't tantamount to not caring about this issue or any others of weight.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600

LEXINGTON
    Kentucky’s Senate on Tuesday passed a ‘religious freedom’ bill that provides businesses in the state a carte blanche license to discriminate against LGBT citizens.

Senate Bill 180 was proposed by Senator Albert Robinson (R) and was passed with an amendment that attempted to limit the scope of the bill. The bill received 22 votes in favor and 16 against.

The bill will undo 8 LGBT nondiscrimination measures in Kentucky, specifically measures in Covington, Danville, Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville, Midway, Morehead and Vicco.

Bruce wasn't scheduled to play there so we should be good.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Lame
  • Options
    vp20vp20 Posts: 56
    Thanks pj. Fans like myself have supported u for over 20 yrs. Ive give thousands of dollars, I've planned my small amount of vacation days around raleigh and chicago-- basically all of it. Now my vacation is screwed as well as I may lose money. In greenville wasn't there a quote along the lines about guns and how that's a bigger issue? Then u cancel 2 days before the show, not last week-- 2 days before the show. Now thousands of fans will lose money over a bill they may have not supported. How many other states have policies u do not agree with-- should u only play the states that u approve of?? Great job thinking of the fans -- the ones who helped u get rich and provided the platform u so often use to voice your opinions! Couldn't just play the show and make a stayement, donate money, etc like other artists?! Awesome. Hope the state of Illinois doesn't do anything stupid in the next 4 months.... then im out more money for the flight. And although I would still go to the Chicago shows-- those who want refunds to other cities and paid to go to raleigh should be given a choice if they want a refund for those other shows. Such bullshit. Those of u who didn't buy raleigh tickets, and think this is a great idea for the band-- save it-- u still get your show-- probably....
  • Options
    PJM3333PJM3333 Chicago Posts: 291

LEXINGTON
    Kentucky’s Senate on Tuesday passed a ‘religious freedom’ bill that provides businesses in the state a carte blanche license to discriminate against LGBT citizens.

Senate Bill 180 was proposed by Senator Albert Robinson (R) and was passed with an amendment that attempted to limit the scope of the bill. The bill received 22 votes in favor and 16 against.

The bill will undo 8 LGBT nondiscrimination measures in Kentucky, specifically measures in Covington, Danville, Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville, Midway, Morehead and Vicco.

Aww shit! Here we go!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
    2016-Lexington, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018-Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892

I've been a diehard pj fan since I was 11 years old. I am also the proud momma of a 13 year old transgender daughter. This topic is very near and dear to my heart. I am so happy and proud to say that my favorite band is standing up for a cause that means everything to me. Yay pearl jam!

I wonder how the band would have felt if your daughter was at that show and needed to use the bathroom, but was scared that she might be arrested for doing so. Something no one should ever have to go through.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PianoManKDPianoManKD Posts: 125
    Phil Collins would never do this, that's for damn sure!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,135
    ComeToTX said:

LEXINGTON

Bruce wasn't scheduled to play there so we should be good.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886

AlaG said:

Perhaps you're right. We're still equating fans of a rock band (who all must be relatively privileged to even think about affording to pay for airfare just to see their favorite band) to a group of people that are being denied basic human rights. Like I said, bummed for these fans, but there are much more important issues in this world than whether or not you get your rock show. Depressed to see the selfishness on here today.

Just curious, why is your focus on the people that are "privileged" enough to fly to a rock show in North Carolina, as opposed to the people who live in and around Raleigh and maybe saved up money to go see one and only one Pearl Jam show this year?

I was never addressing those people in the first place, as those aren't the people I see complaining. They're also getting a full reimbursement and I'm sure the band will come back to their neck of the woods very, very soon when this shit calms down. And it will. It's a matter of when, not if. Don't feel bad for them at all, and they shouldn't feel bad for themselves. That eventual NC show will be one of their best shows ever, calling it right now.
  • Options
    They

Phil Collins would never do this, that's for damn sure!

LMAO!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    gsamarcogsamarco Raleigh, NC Posts: 15
    Now that I'm starting to think again, the Raleigh posters and t-shirts have to be printed already... how about print "Canceled" or "#repealhb2" and donated to pissed off fans?
    Ok, sell them at a discounted price at least, and donate the proceeds to repeal this stupid law
    Brasilia, Brazil 11/17/2015
  • Options
    DM44143DM44143 Posts: 73
    I am flying to Raleigh on Wednesday for what thought was going to be a show. I'll still have fun, but very disappointed how the band handled this. The state already has my money and they could have handled it like Mumford and Sons, Duran Duran, etc. It's a real slap in the fucking face as the band knows how many people travel to these shows, but choose to cancel.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    If Pearl Jam were to cancel every show in every state and country that has unfair laws they would have to play on the moon (only it's been desecrated too). But that's not the point. The point is, HB2 has far reaching affects, it reflects a discriminatory attitude that is antiquated at best, harmful at worst and reflects discriminatory view that much of the rest of the rational world is against. It is relevant and it is timely. It was a good move. Thank you, Pearl Jam.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Proud to be a fan of this band today. Ashamed to be a part of this fan base. I get it. I would be upset too. We all look so forward to these shows. But the selfishness and childishness is ridiculous. The band is not punishing you. You are collateral damage. It sucks. It's just that the band thinks the civil rights of others are more important than your concert. End story. It's also unfortunate to see tough life lessons being learned about purchasing non-refundable rooms and flights to an event that can very much be cancelled. Hopefully this law gets fixed and someday they come back and make everyone happy.

Great post.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    mickeyrat said:

I get it. But a real dick move 2 days before the show. This bill was passed on march 23rd. It fucking april 18th. You annopunce today its canceled? Wtf.

Because this issue probably wasn't on Pearl Jam's radar until Bruce Springsteen cancelled his show.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    They refer to it as "the bathroom ordinance"...

Hmm....
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600

mickeyrat said:

I get it. But a real dick move 2 days before the show. This bill was passed on march 23rd. It fucking april 18th. You annopunce today its canceled? Wtf.

Because this issue probably wasn't on Pearl Jam's radar until Bruce Springsteen cancelled his show.
    Seriously? It was all over the news for the last month.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892

@joeovies - "They’d been pondering since Bruce’s cancelation and were debating it last night."

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Anyone with Wrigley tickets want to rid themselves of them ? ...hit me up
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Way to be a bully.

The people have the power....until they vote in people that PJ and Bruce don't like. Then, fuck those people PJ and Bruce say.
  • Options
    athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147

Proud to be a fan of this band today. Ashamed to be a part of this fan base. I get it. I would be upset too. We all look so forward to these shows. But the selfishness and childishness is ridiculous. The band is not punishing you. You are collateral damage. It sucks. It's just that the band thinks the civil rights of others are more important than your concert. End story. It's also unfortunate to see tough life lessons being learned about purchasing non-refundable rooms and flights to an event that can very much be cancelled. Hopefully this law gets fixed and someday they come back and make everyone happy.

Please don't speak to me about this being an opportunity to learn a life lesson about purchasing non-refundable rooms and flights. Being someone who isn't what one would consider rich, I got a room I could afford and it is non-refundable. I purchased the hotel room and tickets to this show because Pearl Jam told me they were coming to perform in an arena that I could reasonably drive to. I trusted that they would show.
    The life lesson I teach my children is that when they make a commitment to someone, they follow through with it. I tell them it doesn't matter that the referee is unfair, that it is cold outside, that the other team cheats. They made a promise to their teammates that they would show up and they will be there for them. They will go and play their hardest, show good sportsmanship, be an example of the behavior they want to see from others. Pearl Jam could have done this, too. We are part of their team. Get us to that show and tell us what we can do to make a difference. What a missed opportunity for them. They could have educated a group of people who love them and will do almost anything they ask. They let their team down.
    Selfish and childish is what you are calling the fans who are upset with their decision? I think you are off base. Yes, I understand this law discriminates, but I don't believe that cancelling this concert is going to get this law repealed next week. All it has done is leave a bad taste in the mouths of their fans who have been planning for this show for months. My enthusiasm for them has faded. I don't think I'm being selfish and childish when I say that they let me down. They didn't have faith in me. They didn't trust that they could use me and everyone else in that arena to change the law by bringing us together for their show.
    I spoke with my dad yesterday, who had wondered if Pearl Jam had cancelled the show. I told him no, they hadn't. I also mistakenly told him that with it being this close to the show, there is no way they would do this to their fans. I explained that Ed would use this show as a platform to speak about this law. He would see it as an opportunity to educate. That they recognized their fans had made travel arrangements, taken off from work, spent money, and were emotionally invested in the upcoming show. They wouldn't do this at this point. Really looking forward to calling my dad.
    well, fuckers, he still stands
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    vp20 said:

Hope the state of Illinois doesn't do anything stupid in the next 4 months....

Let's see how this whole thing shakes out:
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/chicago-police-board-releases-accountability-task-force-report/
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    HoosierJamHoosierJam Posts: 104
    pjalive21 said:

october22 said:

. But I guess they just couldn't resist the trendy freak-out over anything concerning LGBT at the moment.

nailed it!!!

Bands are paid to play music...I know they are political and always have been, but since when it punishing a fan base that made you who you are beneficial to them? Without us Ed would still be pumping gas somewhere for minimum wage

I have my own brain cells to be locked into social issues and don't need someone preaching to me or teaching me a lesson on what side to take especially rock bands

they should refund everyone who had hotels and air flights all their money back
    pjalive21 said:

october22 said:

. But I guess they just couldn't resist the trendy freak-out over anything concerning LGBT at the moment.

nailed it!!!

Bands are paid to play music...I know they are political and always have been, but since when it punishing a fan base that made you who you are beneficial to them? Without us Ed would still be pumping gas somewhere for minimum wage

I have my own brain cells to be locked into social issues and don't need someone preaching to me or teaching me a lesson on what side to take especially rock bands

pjalive21 said:

october22 said:

nailed it!!!

You seem to have a pretty strong stance about them canceling. Guessing that you will also go all out for something you so strongly believe in and not attend any other shows this tour you have tickets, reservations, etc. for????? It's everyone's right to be upset. It's everyone's right to protest however they want. Let's see all of you f' youing the band not show up for the rest of your shows or buy anything.
    nothing as it seems.....
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    ComeToTX said:

mickeyrat said:

Seriously? It was all over the news for the last month.
    So what if it was all over the news? I'm saying they probably didn't consider cancelling the show over it until Springsteen did.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,932

LEXINGTON

Cancel this one too PJ!!!! Its only right!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    perljamperljam Posts: 49
    Way to fuck your fans Pearl Jam. Plane tickets...hotels....work..etc
  • Options
    bcokerbcoker Posts: 7
    This kind of stuff is what might get Trump elected president. 90% of people don't want men in women's bathrooms. Liberals going nuts trying to accommodate 0.1% of the population. The issue isn't about transgenders, it is about perverted heterosexuals using the law as an excuse to put on a dress and go into women's bathrooms to get their jollies or even commit a sexual assault.

I know someone who this happened to. She went into an isolated bathroom in a shopping mall when a guy walked in and started peeking through the crack in the stall door and jerking himself off. She screamed, but no one heard her. The guy eventually finished himself off on the stall door and left.

I know that is a graphic description, but it is reality. For every transgender person, there are probably 1,000 sex offenders in any given community. Go on-line and check out how many live within a 5 mile radius of your home. The number will likely make your draw drop. It will only be a matter of time before some guy in a dress molests a child or rapes a woman. Then who is going to look stupid?

I don't live in North Carolina, so I don't have a dog in the fight. But these "boycotts" by artists don't do anything but hurt the fans. I don't agree with some of the positions that band members take, but I let it go as a respect to the First Amendment. I own guns and Eddie said something about killing all gun owners -- did I "boycott" PJ music, merchandise or shows over it? No!

You guys are doing this because of pressure being put on you by a small number of "politically correct" agitators. You can't "boycott" every state that has or makes a dumb law. You've played a lot of shows in Florida over the past ten years. I bet you didn't know that up until about a year ago it was legal under state law here to have sexual relations with a farm animal, but illegal for two unrelated people of the same sex to share a house. You never "boycotted" those laws. That is because you didn't know about them and there wasn't any pressure from the PC crowd.

I was at the Jacksonville show last Wednesday. The first time you've ever played in my hometown. It was great. I really feel sorry for your NC fans -- they are the ones being hurt by this. The conservative political leaders in NC are not going to give a damn. Plus, they will not suffer over this issue. If it becomes the center piece of the Democratic campaign platform, they GOP will wipe the floor with them come November.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169

Isn't there a bit of a possibility that stuff like this might backfire and lead to even more discrimination towards transgender people?

Given the suicide rate within the community and their murder rate from outside the community, you'd be hard pressed to negatively affect them much further than they already are...
  • Options
    SUZJAM8SUZJAM8 Roanoke Va Posts: 3
    Im broken. Ive been looking forward to this since the tour announcement. Begged off work, hubs too. First time I won lottery. Ive never lived in NC or voted for these losers. That being said I love PJ for their convictions as well as their music. Although I want to cry I dont expect any less from them. I love you and PLEASE COME NEAR ROANOKE VA SOON!!!