Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,444
    edited April 2016
    gsamarco said:

I live in Raleigh, I'm flockin' pissed, but I support the band's decision. It was a beautiful F#c% You to stupidity.
    From the beginning I've been saying this law is stupid, and I'm not even liberal. WTF, what's next separated bathrooms for blacks and whites? This is discrimination, I don't care how you spin it.
    I would't mind some tickets for Chicago instead...
    Still pissed as flock though.

CHICAGO - are you kidding! How could any one play Chicago until they stop the murders?
    Are you aware that over 900 people - mainly young Black men - have been shot in Chicago during the first 100 days of this year already (as of about one week ago)?
    Mayor Rahm Emanuel does NOTHING about it!
    President Obama does NOTHING about it!
    Bruce Springsteen does NOTHING about it!
    And, now, Pearl Jam does NOTHING about it!
    Where are our priorities?

Post edited by shecky on
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    ehbacon said:

hate this, should've just been a politically charged show

The politically charged show is on for Thursday!
  • Options
    DW275334DW275334 Posts: 10
    I am a HUGE PJ fan and have been since around 1992-93. It's very disappointing. Do they agree with every law Florida and Virginia has?This is what happens when entertainers go too far and get too political. You have let LOTS of fans down.

Seriously though, this law was passed because the city of Charlotte was going to allow men who claimed to be women to use whatever RR they chose. That's not a good idea at all.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Serious question: how much does it cost a band like PJ to pull out of a show like this? There had to be some deposit or penalty by the venue.

Louis CK was pretty upfront when he had to cancel his MSG gig because a huge storm was coming, and I think he said it was low six figures, since he rented the space and such, and that he had to make that decision by a certain point after which it would have cost even more. As it turned out, the storm missed NYC.

• Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,279
    edited April 2016
    I feel bad for the fans attending, but I get it. For those saying your out money, still go, enjoy a new city. Don't just eat the trip because your not going to see PJ

Playing a benefit show for people fighting this would have been the best move I think....and tons of press about why it's a benefit show
    Post edited by weekapaug19 on
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Should have cancelled weeks ago to give fans time to change ravel plans. I like that it brings visibility to the issue, but it definitely could have been handled better.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    Let's see if PJ cancels shows at all the states with horrible laws. Texas, with its horrible abortion laws (similar laws in other states) and the states with racist voter ID laws (Arizona, Wisco, several others). Tennessee

And please don't go off on Wall Street ever again and play these MSG Shows. Don't worry about all the racism and discrimination problems in Chicago right now.

This was a BS move. It does not move the needle at all. We live in Raleigh. My wife's career is as a civil rights attorney making peanuts and fighting for social justice. Cancelling a show like this has almost no positive impact (if you understand what really is going on here in NC) but hurts fans and lots of common people's finances like people who work in the arena. On top of it, you had an option of playing a show and making it a rally or protest or even donating to the people who actually are fighting this and not grandstanding.

Very disappointed in the band. Thought they were above this grandstanding and publicity stunt.
  • Options
    LetsGoMteersLetsGoMteers New Bern, NC Posts: 157
    Well I've calmed down, just bought tickets for SC Thursday night. Bucket list item is still on
    2016 Columbia, SC
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149

Proud to be a fan of this band today. Ashamed to be a part of this fan base. I get it. I would be upset too. We all look so forward to these shows. But the selfishness and childishness is ridiculous. The band is not punishing you. You are collateral damage. It sucks. It's just that the band thinks the civil rights of others are more important than your concert. End story. It's also unfortunate to see tough life lessons being learned about purchasing non-refundable rooms and flights to an event that can very much be cancelled. Hopefully this law gets fixed and someday they come back and make everyone happy.

This x1000000
    Ashamed to be part of a fan base that doesn't really understand the issues and internal politics but judges others. Why don't you do some research and figure out how the bill can be repealed in reality. Figure out which legislative seats actually need to change or what the actual procedure is for courts to overturn this. Then come back and judge us selfish.
  • Options
    bcoker said:

The issue isn't about transgenders, it is about perverted heterosexuals using the law as an excuse to put on a dress and go into women's bathrooms to get their jollies or even commit a sexual assault.

All of which is already illegal.
  • Options
    TaftTaft Posts: 453
    There is a reason they waited until two business days from 4/20 to cancel the show, and it wasn't because they were torn or wavering on what to do (you either believe in this protest or you don't) especially given the press surrounding this issue, and Springsteen etc...

It had to do with contracts, the cynic would say the band reduced their exposure to liability and/or received a payment by waiting. The optimist (and more likely reason) would say the unions/minimum wage workers assigned to the show will still get paid since show was canceled so late....
  • Options
    sk8drchiksk8drchik Posts: 213
    This is the first time I have been disappointed with PJ. It makes me feel not even thought about as a fan and how it can effect me. It makes me feel like all the things I have done for PJ in the last 22 years doesn't even count for anything. Lets be honest...if it wasn't for the fans Pj wouldn't have the life they are living. Sad times.
    Li
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I'm most burned because I wasted my "show currency" on this show. Lottery selection, airfare, time off work, permission and preparation to leave with the wife and kids.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,616
    I'm sure seeing them in Columbia will change it but right now I have a pretty sour taste over the timing of this.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,651
    edited April 2016
    Im 100%fine with transgender people using whatever bathroom they choose. But Does repealing the law allow creeps and perverts to freely use female bathrooms though? Honest question. I havent been keeping up with the news. Do people have to be dressed as women to use a female bathroom or can they just go in wearing their Dale EarnhardtJr shirt?
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    JP Losman said:

Let's see if PJ cancels shows at all the states with horrible laws. Texas, with its horrible abortion laws (similar laws in other states) and the states with racist voter ID laws (Arizona, Wisco, several others). Tennessee

And please don't go off on Wall Street ever again and play these MSG Shows. Don't worry about all the racism and discrimination problems in Chicago right now.

This was a BS move. It does not move the needle at all. We live in Raleigh. My wife's career is as a civil rights attorney making peanuts and fighting for social justice. Cancelling a show like this has almost no positive impact (if you understand what really is going on here in NC) but hurts fans and lots of common people's finances like people who work in the arena. On top of it, you had an option of playing a show and making it a rally or protest or even donating to the people who actually are fighting this and not grandstanding.

Very disappointed in the band. Thought they were above this grandstanding and publicity stunt.

My response here is not to you solely, but to all who have said something similar: If Pearl Jam were to cancel every show in every state and country that has unfair laws they would have to play on the moon (only it's been desecrated too). But that's not the point. The point is, HB2 has far reaching affects, it reflects a discriminatory attitude that is antiquated at best, harmful at worst and reflects discriminatory view that much of the rest of the rational world is against. It is relevant and it is timely. It was a good move.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,132
    Right intention, wrong action, and terrible timing.

Disappointed for sure. I bet hotels aren't giving $ back.... Lots of $ already paid to get to and to stay in NC for the fans, so less of an impact. So why not play the show, donate the $, and have your say?

In Greenville Eddie said not to quit, to keep fighting....I think we disagree on what is quitting and what is fighting.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    DW275334 said:

Seriously though, this law was passed because the city of Charlotte was going to allow men who claimed to be women to use whatever RR they chose. That's not a good idea at all.

No, it was going to allow trans women to use a restroom that lowered their chances of being assaulted or threatened, and replaced it with the exact opposite, based on a boogeyman theory based on no incidents of this supposed behavior ever occurring. The sexual predator stuff, that is; trans people have peacefully peed in the same rooms as cisgendered people for a long time without incident.
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,077
    shecky said:

gsamarco said:

I live in Raleigh, I'm flockin' pissed, but I support the band's decision. It was a beautiful F#c% You to stupidity.
    From the beginning I've been saying this law is stupid, and I'm not even liberal. WTF, what's next separated bathrooms for blacks and whites? This is discrimination, I don't care how you spin it.
    I would't mind some tickets for Chicago instead...
    Still pissed as flock though.

CHICAGO - are you kidding! How could any one play Chicago until they stop the murders?
    Are you aware that over 900 people - mainly young Black men - have been murdered in Chicago during the first 100 days of this year already (as of about one week ago)?
    Mayor Rahm Emanuel does NOTHING about it!
    President Obama does NOTHING about it!
    Bruce Springsteen does NOTHING about it!
    And, now, Pearl Jam does NOTHING about it!
    Where are our priorities?

You make some great points in your post
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,325
    I feel bad for anyone that has lost money on this but the cause is more important than a band playing a show. It sucks that it was announced so late but maybe that's because they've been discussing it for the last week? This isn't a band that takes this kind of decision lightly so it must have been a hard thing for them to do.

Yes it's going to sting for a while, and there will be plenty of pissed off fans on here, but it's the right thing to do. I'm proud of PJ and Bruce for making a stand and for trying to bring this to everyone's attention.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,616
    Wouldn't it have gotten the most attention if they did it right after Bruce?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

bcoker said:

The issue isn't about transgenders, it is about perverted heterosexuals using the law as an excuse to put on a dress and go into women's bathrooms to get their jollies or even commit a sexual assault.

All of which is already illegal.
    Yup. The law is an excuse to discriminate. The sexual assault argument is just their way of deflecting the truth.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:

JP Losman said:

My response here is not to you solely, but to all who have said something similar: If Pearl Jam were to cancel every show in every state and country that has unfair laws they would have to play on the moon (only it's been desecrated too). But that's not the point. The point is, HB2 has far reaching affects, it reflects a discriminatory attitude that is antiquated at best, harmful at worst and reflects discriminatory view that much of the rest of the rational world is against. It is relevant and it is timely. It was a good move.
    It was a good move, however there was a better move staring them in the face.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Im 100%fine with transgender people using whatever bathroom they choose. But Does repealing the law allow creeps and perverts to freely use female bathrooms though? Honest question.

No, indecent exposure, sexual assault, and everything else that could occur in this made-up situation is already illegal.
  • Options
    I fee bad for those that missed out on shows using their higher priority on this.

I hope when this stupid law is repealed, Pearl Jam comes back and give all former ticket owners first shot at the celebration.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    zman said:

this hurts more fans than it does help anyone else

Human rights > rock concert.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,704
    How does canceling a concert do anything positive to support this cause? You just pissed off your fans, wasted their money. Sorry PJ, I commend your desire to help protest a terrible law but cmon, total garbage that you you just cancled your show with 1 day notice. Could have done something different. If I had tixs to this show I would be pissed off and rightfully so. Change your mind, do the show, bring attention with the songs, donate money from the show to the cause and treat your fans with a little more respect.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792

brianlux said:

JP Losman said:

It was a good move, however there was a better move staring them in the face.
    Timing could have been better, I agree. On the other hand, the timing has a lot to do with how much this action is being heard and it is important that it be heard. Sorry to those who lost time or money but the bigger picture is more important. Discrimination has priority over inconvenience, at least that's my belief.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

The point is, HB2 has far reaching affects, it reflects a discriminatory attitude that is antiquated at best, harmful at worst and reflects discriminatory view that much of the rest of the rational world is against. It is relevant and it is timely. It was a good move.

Then my question is: How does this help? How does it help repeal the bill? How does it help LGBT people in North Carolina? Pearl Jam is irrelevant to most people in North Carolina. The segment of the population that is really into Pearl Jam is also the segment that is most likely to work towards fighting the new law... and they are the ones who are getting spurned.

When one does not see what one does not see, one does not even see that one is blind. -Paul Veyne
  • Options
    As a NC resident this strikes a nerve. I am embarrassed and ashamed that HB2 was passed. Understand though that this was done without any chance for the residents of NC to voice their opinions. A special session / vote was held. The general public did not know until after bill was passed and signed.

That said I disagree with the bands decision. First because it will affect the fans who had tickets the most, the legislators who passed this bill won't notice. When Springsteen cancelled his show it got (very) short newspaper and news mention but didn't make a difference. My suggestion: Ed tells the crowd to get out your phones and record this: State how you feel about HB2, read your statement, and say you wont play NC again until HB2 is repealed and tell crown get this viral now.
    My opinion; NC governor and NC legislature won't notice that a rock concert was cancelled by the band however they see thousands maybe tens of thousands of people (voters) publicly disagreeing with what they did they might take a little more notice notice...