Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    rchallenrchallen Posts: 58

North Carolinians: I hope you like the liberal elites pushing around your politicians you voted for. This time you may be okay with it, but next time you may not.

The people...or rather... the rich people have the power, the rich people have the power.

Well, I voted for the Charlotte mayor who passed pro-TG legislation.
    Then the "conservative elites" in my state capital decided to teach us "Charlotte liberals" a lesson (or they just needed an excuse), and passed the most sweeping anti-LBGT legislation in the country.
    So the politicians I did vote for are getting pushed around... and the politicians I didn't vote for are also pushing us around. I suppose that Pearl Jam cancelling a show also "pushes around" politicians... although not nearly as much as the $100 million that PayPal took away from the state last month. Or the $350 million we've already lost thanks to other corporations and conventions boycotting us.

Given the choice between the rich people in Pearl Jam and the rich assholes in the NC State House, I'd rather have Ed and company passing my laws, thanks.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    Lotta hate going on here, especially in light of (I assume) everyone here being (or until recently were) fans of Pearl Jam. Very ironic.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    rchallen said:

I suppose that Pearl Jam cancelling a show also "pushes around" politicians... although not nearly as much as the $100 million that PayPal took away from the state last month. Or the $350 million we've already lost thanks to other corporations and conventions boycotting us.

It's not a competition. We're all on the same side. ;-)
  • Options
    rchallenrchallen Posts: 58
    edited April 2016
    jeffwalsh said:

rchallen said:

I suppose that Pearl Jam cancelling a show also "pushes around" politicians... although not nearly as much as the $100 million that PayPal took away from the state last month. Or the $350 million we've already lost thanks to other corporations and conventions boycotting us.

It's not a competition. We're all on the same side. ;-)
    No, I agree. I was just surprised to hear someone telling me that I was being "pushed around" by Pearl Jam, rather than the state politicians I didn't vote for whose law I don't support.
    And call me cynical, but I don't see said politicians coming to their senses anytime soon. It's like Gov. Patsy McCrory and his cronies know what a clusterf**k they created, but they're sticking to their guns to save face... for purely political reasons I'm sure.

Post edited by rchallen on
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    I think the main gripe here is that a lot of fans are losing money they can't and more importantly, shouldn't lose. The paying fanbase have looked forward to this show for sometime. The band cancels 48 hours before? But they scheduled the show months in advance.

Show business is show business, and always will be.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_show_must_go_on
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    Taft said:

There is a reason they waited until two business days from 4/20 to cancel the show, and it wasn't because they were torn or wavering on what to do (you either believe in this protest or you don't) especially given the press surrounding this issue, and Springsteen etc...

It had to do with contracts, the cynic would say the band reduced their exposure to liability and/or received a payment by waiting. The optimist (and more likely reason) would say the unions/minimum wage workers assigned to the show will still get paid since show was canceled so late....

This^^^^
  • Options
    JR119983JR119983 Posts: 1
    rchallen said:

PJlive said:

Sucks. But the people of North Carolina did this to themselves!!!

More than 50% of us voted Democrat in the last election. The state government is rigged due to gerrymandering. This is an overreach of power by the Republican governor and his cronies, and doesn't represent the state as a whole. They didn't even open the law up to discussion (it literally went from non-existence to law in less than 24 hours) because they knew how many people would oppose it.

Hey dipshit, you do know that the party that controls the legislature draws the districts, right? So the Republican majority that's now in the legislature were elected to office in 2010 in the districts drawn by the Democrats who controlled the process for 100 years prior. But I'm sure during all that time the Dems never drew lines to give them a political advantage, right?? I'm really trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't seem to get my head shoved that far up my ass.
  • Options
    Went to the 2013 Hartford show, the band's first show in the Connecticut since the tragedy in Newtown, and Eddie was very vocal about the issues at hand and spoke at length about it at the show. He mentioned there were fathers of victims at the show, they played Long Road, Come Back, it was one of the most powerful messages I'd ever seen conveyed at a concert. There were many there that agreed with them, and still little has changed with gun laws.

In this case, the message sent by cancelling the show in Raleigh will be more far reaching. I don't remember reading/seeing much about Eddie's message at the Hartford show though it has stuck with me and I'm sure others who have heard it to this day. Major news outlets are already reporting on this story an hour after the announcement, so I think not playing the show makes their message further reaching.

I feel bad for everyone who is stuck with non-refundable travel plans and tickets they can't get refunds for all because of a draconian law. Hopefully you'll be able to get to another show soon. There has to be some logistical reason for the announcement coming 2 days before the show like Springsteen's, seems like it's not a coincidence they both announced 2 days before. If they could they probably would have given fans as much advance notice as possible. Peace.
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    For those of you who are losing money on hotel reservations, try this. I worked for 10 years in hotel management. Our property frequently tried to collect the fee on reservations that would not show up or were past their cancellation date. Some guests were fine with this, and some disputed the charge with their credit card company. In EVERY instance where a charge was disputed, a refund was issued. It is not worth the hotels time to argue with a credit card company. Dispute your charges! I realize this will has a lower probability of working with those who paid via travel websites, but hopefully it will work for some of you. Try calling the property and talking like a kind, rational person to the hotel clerk. In many instances, we waived fees for inconvenienced travelers. Don't be lazy, make an effort to try and get your money back!
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    Name calling all over this place. Recent sightings: "Fuck you", "Moron", "Dip shit". Really people?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    I grew up in Charlotte, NC. I live in Charlotte, NC. I have seen every Pearl Jam show in Charlotte, NC. I agree with the below. That is all.
    rchallen said:

North Carolinians: I hope you like the liberal elites pushing around your politicians you voted for. This time you may be okay with it, but next time you may not.

The people...or rather... the rich people have the power, the rich people have the power.

Well, I voted for the Charlotte mayor who passed pro-TG legislation.
    Then the "conservative elites" in my state capital decided to teach us "Charlotte liberals" a lesson (or they just needed an excuse), and passed the most sweeping anti-LBGT legislation in the country.
    So the politicians I did vote for are getting pushed around... and the politicians I didn't vote for are also pushing us around. I suppose that Pearl Jam cancelling a show also "pushes around" politicians... although not nearly as much as the $100 million that PayPal took away from the state last month. Or the $350 million we've already lost thanks to other corporations and conventions boycotting us.

Given the choice between the rich people in Pearl Jam and the rich assholes in the NC State House, I'd rather have Ed and company passing my laws, thanks.
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    edited April 2016
    Normally I appreciate when Pearl Jam takes a stand about things, but I can't support them this time. There are so many fans who took time off work, paid hundreds for travel/hotels, etc. So many fans who live in the area and can't travel to see them anywhere else. This is just a really crap move on the band's part.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Aside from the above travel advice, I would be disappointed in the band if they had not canceled. Rock music and politics have always been closely intertwined, and I have chosen to support bands that state their beliefs.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    However as a Raleigh resident I find this sad. I have tickets but was not able to go due to helping family in SW. Nobody I know supports this bill and myself and my friends did not vote for our government reps we have. I know how excited I was to have a show in my hometown and I am sorry for the people who were really looking forward to the show. Very sorry for those with non refundable plane and hotel bookings. The band really should have not waited so long to cancel. I don't agree with them doing this to prove a point. ..it just doesn't really effect those that passed this bill or support these conservative outdated views. Pearl Jam is doing what in their beliefs is the right and moral stand to take and I can respect that in them. Lots of us here want to make the world a better place for everyone too. My sympathy for all those who are feeling the crushing disappointment. Peace.
  • Options
    JJ262810JJ262810 Posts: 4
    Although PJ is one of my favorites this was a terrible decision that only hurts the "fans".
    No debating that the law is ridiculous and I am shocked that these elected officials have time to even pass laws regarding bathrooms that discriminate.

But think of all the fans that now have nonrefundable hotels, airfare and have possibly planned their vacations around this concert. That is who gets hurt here so you guys can make a "stand". Bullshit, you want never play in NC again, no problem but in such short notice that really sucks.

Taking a look at your past world and Latin America tours I find a lot of countries you guys played that I am sure you could have made a case to cancel based upon those governments treatment of there people.

Stick to playing music, you want to educate and organize support to repeal the bill, fine but screwing your fans over is not cool.
  • Options
    vp20vp20 Posts: 56
    My girlfriend is in the middle of asking the airline if a refund is possible for chicago. If so, we as fans should be eligible for a refund to future shows. If the band can decide this state has a law that is unjust, whether it be right or wrong, and not judge or eliminate other states to play in-- we as fans should have the right to get a refund to other shows we signed up for. I doubt that we get a refund on our flight, but I hate flying. HATE IT. I decided I'd only fly for a pj show at wrigley. And if I died on that plane it was meant to be because it's pj at wrigley lol. But Seriously if the band can say 2 days before a show sorry we don't agree with this new law so f u to the fans and your lost money time vacation etc-- fans should have an option to skip their shows. It's only fair. I haven't agreed with plenty of things this band and others have stood for in the past, but I decided it's worth it. Freedom of speech is essential. But now to cancel.... when the fans who were attending are the ones paying for it are the ones hurt.... and the band could skip half the country if u look at other states with wrong laws... it's bs. Period. I wondered since bruce when some fans out there might attempt to file lawsuits for lost money. U figure someone out there will try to recoup airfaire, hotels, etc. I sure as shit couldn't blame them.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    FYI, this afternoon, Tennessee just tabled discussion on introducing a bathroom bill in its high schools for another year (where it would be even stranger for an adult trans sexual predator to be hanging out one would imagine?!). So, this isn't only about NC, it is the early stages of a movement trying to stigmatize and discriminate against trans people everywhere. Now that the gays sort of got past the point where the GOP/Religious Right can sort of use us as their punching bags and bait for fearmongers, they are using the trans community instead. So, other states are watching NC and take cues from it, as well...
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    JJ262810 said:

Although PJ is one of my favorites this was a terrible decision that only hurts the "fans".
    No debating that the law is ridiculous

What EXACTLY is the law again? It's my understanding that they want transgender people using the bathrooms of their birth gender. Is that correct?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jmlinarjmlinar Posts: 1
    I love PJ, but stick to playing music and not dabble in politics. You are only punishing the fans. Donate money and let your voice be heard in other avenues.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited April 2016
    Shut up, play music, and donate the money and rant away.
    Comments like this proves that PJ's music attracts all sorts of people. But, it falls dangerously short of what the band represents: empathy, social justice and integrity.

Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    I'm sure this will work as well as their fight against Ticketmaster. The legislation will get turned around and what Bruce and they did will have had zero impact on effecting that. Total vanity move which is the modern liberal way.

Oh for the days of George Harrison and Bangladesh where musicians made statements by doing something, not by NOT doing something.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753

I'm sure this will work as well as their fight against Ticketmaster. The legislation will get turned around and what Bruce and they did will have had zero impact on effecting that. Total vanity move which is the modern liberal way.

Oh for the days of George Harrison and Bangladesh where musicians made statements by doing something, not by NOT doing something.

Yep
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JJ262810JJ262810 Posts: 4
    Please let me know if you are cancelling Chicago a little earlier then two days prior.

I am sure you can find 1,000 reason to cancel Chicago....Could it be, murders, crime, corruption, racism.....
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    JR119983 said:

Hey dipshit

Always a good sign that well-reasoned political insight is incoming.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

Take a bow for the new revolution
  • Options
    Free said:

Shut up, play music, and donate the money and rant away.
    Comments like this proves that PJ's music attracts all sorts of people. But, it falls dangerously short of what the band represents: empathy, social justice and integrity.

Exactly!

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    Its just grandstanding. They didn't take the time to figure out how the bill actually could be repealed. This move did nothing to help repeal it. It just hurt the people already oppressed by it and that are voting against it.

Seriously, PJ fans...its okay to acknowledge they didn't handle this properly. It would have been 1000 times better to play a show and donate proceeds to the dozens of non-profits fighting this. You could have brought Roy Cooper on stage and expressed your support for him. Make it a rally.

This makes me question how genuine they have been in the past about their fights against social injustice and political awareness. Was it all for publicity? This is one situation where I understand the issue very well. I've been involved in fight for equality for some time in NC along with my wife. I've also been a ten club member since 2001 and a fan of theirs since mid 90s. This was a horrible decision and one that will paint them as hypocrites in my mind and others moving forward if they don't take a similar stance in future locations with bad laws (which there are plenty of).
  • Options
    Free said:

Preach! ;-)
  • Options
    KR151056KR151056 Posts: 16
    One, two, three, four, five against one Ten Club
    Five, five, against one Ten Club
    Torture from you to me