Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Shoulda played Atlanta. Georgia Governor Deal vetoed that shit.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    WHAT REBELS!
    Puscifer Maynard's side project from Tool MADE A BETTER POINT BY PISSING OFF LAWMAKERS AND NOT CANCELLING!!
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    So incredibly sorry for the people who had planned on attending this show. I truly believe though that in this instance Pearl Jam's actions are supportive of the ideal of eliminating injustice in the world. It must have been an extremely difficult decision for them, and I respect them tremendously for still making it despite the difficulty, and trying, in my opinion, to make the world a better place for everyone.
    I would've fallen from the sky, till you...
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631

DR295987 said:

clearly the band doesn't value it's fans....

Clearly the band values all humans and human rights.
    They can value all humans and humans rights without shitting on the fans.
    This
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    hate this, should've just been a politically charged show
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    rchallen said:

So I'm still proud to be a longtime resident of Charlotte, NC... Ironically a very progressive city, as apparently our decision to provide protection for the TG community provided the impetus for Gov. Patsy McCrory and his POS cronies to pass the horrible, awful HB2 law. Which specifically states that local governments and cities can NOT pass protections of their own.

But I'm deeply ashamed and embarrassed that the Republican legislature--which only came to power thanks to gerrymandering and the rural districts--has decided to launch their hateful campaign against ALL minorities. Not just the LBGT community, but also women, minorities, and even religion... There are NO protected classes under HB2 anymore. (McCrory has since "amended" the law to allow for some protected groups, which is a bit like Dick Cheney shooting you in the face and then offering you a Band-Aid two weeks later.)

On a social and moral level, I completely support Pearl Jam... and Springsteen as well. (Another show I planned to attend that got cancelled two days beforehand.) I agree that the timing could've been better, but I also suspect the time frame was chosen, as with Springsteen's decision, for maximum political impact. It's not just taking dollars out of the state... It's also drawing media attention to the POS idiots controlling our State house and adding political pressure in the hopes that they (eventually) do the right thing.

But here's my frustration in the interim: HB2 does NOT reflect the mindset of the state as a whole. It was a sneaky piece of legislation, rammed through in less than a day with no debate whatsoever, solely to punish the "progressive" cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Asheville, and others) and mobilize the far right wing to come to the polls in November. (Because nothing gets bigoted right-wingers more excited than denying basic rights to gays.) If the state wasn't gerrymandered to the point of insanity, these assholes wouldn't even BE in office... Much less passing divisive legislation with the confidence of men who know that their districts are SO red, their re-elections are all but assured. Meanwhile, anyone in the state who is liberal, progressive, or even moderate (which covers about 95% of most NC PJ fans) is punished by the actions of the bigots we did NOT vote for and do NOT support.

I hope the band gets a chance to read this post, as it comes from someone who's fought against (and voted against) these assholes for years and years. I deeply respect the hard decision they made, while also feeling the monumental (selfish) loss that comes from knowing that some of my favorite artists, and bands, will no longer visit my state while these idiots remain in power.

I love Charlotte, and I love North Carolina, and I hate the fact that a tiny hate-filled group has co-opted our government and currently holds the state hostage. They don't speak for us, and we will do everything in our power to vote them out come November. But if we don't... I might be asking for suggestions on where to move.

God bless Pearl Jam, and I hope you guys throw every ounce of your anger and energy into the Columbia show the following night. Because I will be there with all MY anger at the f**kers who keep trying to take my state away from me... and I could probably use some Release.

Well said....keep up the good fight!
    I feel so badly for all those who were going to this show and lost $. :anguished::bawling:
    I would be beside myself too.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    If I was at Hampton tonight I don't believe I would be showing the band too much love.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    They should have played the show, but not let anyone use any of the bathrooms in protest.

/amidoingitright
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    rchallenrchallen Posts: 58
    BS44325 said:

I guess for the next lottery I better be familar with every stupid piece of local legislation in the works just in case PJ decides to throw a boycott out there a day or two before the show.

The stupid local legislation didn't even exist until a day before it became law. (And a couple months AFTER the ticket lottery.)
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    While I feel bummed for all the peeps with non-refundable plane tickets and hotel bookings, you also need to recognize that you're in a very small percentage of the band's fanbase. I doubt when making these decisions, their first thought is - "but man, we'd really be screwing that .5% of our fanbase that travels nationwide to see us".
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    Noload said:

From the band's POV, they have witnessed middle aged folks standing in line 4 or 5 hours for stickers...I'm sure they feel pretty Teflon. They know we aren't going anywhere :)

Absolutely! They know that people will be pissed for a little while but when new merch and tours are announced, these same people will be there front and center again.

As most everyone has said I don't agree with the law, I wasn't planning to go to the show, but if you're going to do this you should've done it last week.
  • Options
    dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    edited January 2018
    Post edited by dogtown on
  • Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    edited April 2016
    Post deleted by Admin
    Please remember: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here.
    Post edited by Sea on
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    ZenogiasZenogias Posts: 23
    october22 said:

This is complete bullshit. Play the show for your fans and say a few words if you want to bring attention to something. Otherwise, you're hypocritical for playing shows in any state or country where every law isn't exactly as you'd like it to be. But I guess they just couldn't resist the trendy freak-out over anything concerning LGBT at the moment.

Agree fully! They could have done a lot of things to bring attention to this issue without fucking fans over. As someone posted in another thread, broadcast it live, put out a live ep, donate all proceeds to organizations worling against the law. But of course it's easier to just fuck your fans.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I'm sure the politicians and evangelicals are gutted that the libs aren't getting together. Probably shaking in their boots
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2016
    It's a tough spot for them to be in.

Great show of support. Brutal for the fans- in particular, the ones who have travelled great distances to see them.

I think people are going to have to allow those affected most by this decision to vent. I'd be steamed if- given absolutely zero dates remotely near me- I went through great expense to see these guys and two days prior to the event... they make this announcement leaving me out of pocket and unable to recoup my losses (let alone a show I was dying to see).

I said it in the Bruce thread: play the show... unload on the bill... give proceeds to appropriate groups to combat the bill.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    what boot is it (I own it and cant remember) that Eddie does that incredible North Caroliiiiiinnnnnaaaa, north caroliiiinaaaa tag
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited April 2016
    october22 said:

. But I guess they just couldn't resist the trendy freak-out over anything concerning LGBT at the moment.

nailed it!!!

Proud to be a fan of this band today. Ashamed to be a part of this fan base. I get it. I would be upset too. We all look so forward to these shows. But the selfishness and childishness is ridiculous. The band is not punishing you. You are collateral damage. It sucks. It's just that the band thinks the civil rights of others are more important than your concert. End story. It's also unfortunate to see tough life lessons being learned about purchasing non-refundable rooms and flights to an event that can very much be cancelled. Hopefully this law gets fixed and someday they come back and make everyone happy.

Bands are paid to play music...I know they are political and always have been, but since when it punishing a fan base that made you who you are beneficial to them? Without us Ed would still be pumping gas somewhere for minimum wage

I have my own brain cells to be locked into social issues and don't need someone preaching to me or teaching me a lesson on what side to take especially rock bands

they should refund everyone who had hotels and air flights all their money back
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I support the band's decision to cancel the show, but they really shit the bed as far as timing goes. Maybe someone in the band just sobered up, but most of us have known about NC for some time. Why didn't they cancel when Bruce did? Ed and Bruce were hanging out around that time. Great idea but piss poor execution, PJ!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    AlaG said:

While I feel bummed for all the peeps with non-refundable plane tickets and hotel bookings, you also need to recognize that you're in a very small percentage of the band's fanbase. I doubt when making these decisions, their first thought is - "but man, we'd really be screwing that .5% of our fanbase that travels nationwide to see us".

You know what this post reminds me of? Politicians who pass discriminatory laws aimed at a small percentage of the population.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

WHAT REBELS!

Yeah it's totally a "take your ball and go home" sort of move.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    pjalive21 said:

I have my own brain cells to be locked into social issues and don't need someone preaching to me or teaching me a lesson on what side to take especially rock bands

You might be a fan of the wrong band.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    edited April 2016
    quote deleted by Admin

Another thoughtful, mature, and intelligent response.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950

Proud to be a fan of this band today. Ashamed to be a part of this fan base. I get it. I would be upset too. We all look so forward to these shows. But the selfishness and childishness is ridiculous. The band is not punishing you. You are collateral damage. It sucks. It's just that the band thinks the civil rights of others are more important than your concert. End story. It's also unfortunate to see tough life lessons being learned about purchasing non-refundable rooms and flights to an event that can very much be cancelled. Hopefully this law gets fixed and someday they come back and make everyone happy.

This x1000000
  • Options
    PJlivePJlive Earth Posts: 469
    ComeToTX said:

PJlive said:

Sucks. But the people of North Carolina did this to themselves!!!

Bullshit!

See you thursday. If you come to town Weds now lets get dinner and drinks.
    9/1-9/2/2000 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    4/28/2003 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    5/3/2003 - Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA
    7/5-7/6/2003 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    7/13/2003 - Hershey Park, Hershey, PA
    10/1/2004 - Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge, George, WA
    10/03/2005 - Wachovia Center, Phila, PA
    5/27-5/28/2006 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/16/2008 - Columbia, SC
    6/19-6/20/2008 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/24-6/25 - Madison Square Garden
    10/28-10/31/2008 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    9/22/2012 - MidTown, Atlanta, GA
    10/21-10/22 - Wells Fargo Center, Phila, PA
    10/30/2013 - Charlotte, NC
    04/21/2016 - Columbia, SC
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Serious question: how much does it cost a band like PJ to pull out of a show like this? There had to be some deposit or penalty by the venue.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Caitlyn for prez
  • Options
    TP80392TP80392 Posts: 24
    By cancelling the performance, Pearl Jam had brought more attention to the issue than if they played and donated money

http://nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/pearl-jam-cancels-north-carolina-hb2-law-article-1.2606177
  • Options
    2 days notice is garbage and all this did was fuck over fans of a band and the good people. This is a joke and really a poor decision.
    Drop The Leash!
  • Options
    rssesq said:

what boot is it (I own it and cant remember) that Eddie does that incredible North Caroliiiiiinnnnnaaaa, north caroliiiinaaaa tag