Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

If this is the worst thing to happen to you lately - lost $ on your flight/hotel room and your rock concert got cancelled - you're doing pretty good in life so stop your crying. There are people out there with real problems.

Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    JP Losman said:

hsohi said:

JP Losman said:

I think they are clueless and this is grandstanding by the band...you just played Florida with the crazy stand your ground laws...you are playing states with horrible voter ID laws that are racist and a civil rights problem. and you aren't listening to the people that are actually being discriminated or the people actually trying to repeal the law.

http://perezhilton.com/2016-04-12-north-carolina-needs-you-gay-friendly-organizations-asking-artists-not-cancel-shows

Stand your ground laws allow people to defend themselves...pal
    Yea tell that to Trayvon Martin's family
    I will I have no sympathy for him or the false accusations made in Ferguson....BLM doesn't talk about Ferguson much any more
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    <
    RP112579 said:

25 fucking years and people still don't get that this band has never been afraid to stand up for what they believe in, and be willing to be criticized for it.

9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Beyond our Pearl Jam bubble, this isn't going to have much impact.
    PJ just isn't going to get the same sort of news coverage that Bruce got.

They should have played the whole show wearing sensible dresses.
    That would have been a bigger story.

EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,892
    AlaG said:

All the peeps saying politics and music shouldn't mix, how do you enjoy a band like Pearl Jam, a band whose music is generally incredibly politically-minded? Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

RP112579 said:

25 fucking years and people still don't get that this band has never been afraid to stand up for what they believe in, and be willing to be criticized for it.

Agreed, with both, and they have taught me to do the same.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    RP112579 said:

I'm not criticizing their beliefs. Just their shitty timing. Someone must have been asleep at the wheel.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,934
    I get it. But a real dick move 2 days before the show. This bill was passed on march 23rd. It fucking april 18th. You annopunce today its canceled? Wtf.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
    All this anger and venting! Besides being pissed off at Pearl Jam, I hope some of that anger gets focused on doing something about sexism, homophobia, child abuse, elder abuse, inequity, inequality, racism, bigotry, war, poverty, repression, victims of hate groups, pollution, global warming, rapid species extinction, and all the other issues that are way more important than missing a rock concert because a band takes a stance on a social issue.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    #CaitlynStrong
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    So if cancellation of the show was an economic punishment to NC, then PJ kinda missed the boat. The state likely doesn't need the income from a couple concerts, (include the Boss, etc). But, the local economy, the waiters and waitresses and the bartenders miss a big payday from the show crowds, the ticket takers and ushers and the arena workers miss a day of work as the venue will be dark. Local artists and merchants who the PJ fan base generally patronize are likely people of like mind and they will miss out on the spending power the fanbase brings... You get the idea... Yeah, someone used the word collateral damage earlier in this thread... I hope no one was counting on paying the rent with the money they were going to earn on the 20th....
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    This is ridiculous. I will be selling my Philly tickets in protest of this stupid protest. I will go see the shitty Phillies play instead. This is grandstanding at the expense of their fans. The NC government isn't going to give a shit about Pearl Jam doing this. Just hurts the fans and people trying to earn a living working at the venue. I hope PJ reimburses people who put a lot more than ticket money into this. It will keep me from traveling to see them in the future.
  • Options
    AlaG said:

All the peeps saying politics and music shouldn't mix, how do you enjoy a band like Pearl Jam, a band whose music is generally incredibly politically-minded? Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

How about peeps like me who say music and politics SHOULD mix, but that this was still the wrong decision? I love when Ed rants at shows, and some people boo. I love when they raise money for causes and do benefit shows and go out on a limb for what they believe in. This is the first time, however, (that I can recall) that they've knowingly left a huge contingent of fans out in the cold. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.
    When one does not see what one does not see, one does not even see that one is blind. -Paul Veyne
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited April 2016

AlaG said:

AlaG said:

While I feel bummed for all the peeps with non-refundable plane tickets and hotel bookings, you also need to recognize that you're in a very small percentage of the band's fanbase. I doubt when making these decisions, their first thought is - "but man, we'd really be screwing that .5% of our fanbase that travels nationwide to see us".

You know what this post reminds me of? Politicians who pass discriminatory laws aimed at a small percentage of the population.
    Except their intent isn't to punish you at all... So no, not really. Not at all, actually.
    I'm fairly certain that the morons who passed HB2 don't believe their intent was to punish anyone either. They believe they're standing up for something and they're choosing to ignore that they're pissing on "a very small percentage" of people in the process.
    Perhaps you're right. We're still equating fans of a rock band (who all must be relatively privileged to even think about affording to pay for airfare just to see their favorite band) to a group of people that are being denied basic human rights. Like I said, bummed for these fans, but there are much more important issues in this world than whether or not you get your rock show. Depressed to see the selfishness on here today.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,470
    mcgruff10 said:

I think the only reasonable recourse angry/outraged fans have at this point is to give up on the band. It's been a good run. Sell your stuff in Lost Dogs, make your goodbye meltdown thread and then walk away. I mean, it's for the best.

I agree. Especially if you have good tickets to msg 2!
    Too soon. ;)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102

The band should preach verbally on this issue if they have something to say.

I don't disagree, but the band was in a tough position here and as a fan who has seen them take on issues from t-shirt prices (before they controlled their own merch) to capital punishment, they have earned my trust. That's why I feel bad for the fans but also respect the band's decision.
    Fair enough.

And for the record, I'm not one of those fans who will make a raging 20 paragraph thread and leave 10c. I still love PJ, but this is just not a respectable move in my book. Peace.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    kimsebaskimsebas Posts: 3
    Not going to get over this... 2 days before the show? Really? Who does this hurt????
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    Okay, this didn't take long to get out of hand. I feel for people who had tickets or are already there. I really do. I would be upset too. And the timing totally sucks, but I'm sure there is a legit reason that they cancelled at this time. I don't exactly think there was a right or wrong choice here. They felt they needed to cancel, so they did. Let's not lose sight of the big picture. I'm pretty sure PJ wouldn't do anything on purpose to hurt the fans, but that's just my opinion. Also, do we really need like 10 pages on the porch about this? That's what this thread is for. Again, I do feel badly for the people who lost their travel money on this one. And the experience of the show. Especially if it was your only show this tour and what not. Hopefully all that's wrong with the world will be corrected soon and then they will come back and make up for it. Now, I'm outta here!
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886

This is ridiculous. I will be selling my Philly tickets in protest of this stupid protest. I will go see the shitty Phillies play instead. This is grandstanding at the expense of their fans. The NC government isn't going to give a shit about Pearl Jam doing this. Just hurts the fans and people trying to earn a living working at the venue. I hope PJ reimburses people who put a lot more than ticket money into this. It will keep me from traveling to see them in the future.

How are you protesting by selling your tickets on the secondary market? Lol. The band already has your money. Calm down. Just go and enjoy yourself
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

I think the only reasonable recourse angry/outraged fans have at this point is to give up on the band. It's been a good run. Sell your stuff in Lost Dogs, make your goodbye meltdown thread and then walk away. I mean, it's for the best.

ha! I'm definitely going to be lurking around Lost Dogs the next few days looking for deals. Anyone looking to unload their 1998 or 2003 Alpine Valley posters let me know!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,216
    There goes Ed following his idols again. Where the fuck was Bruce Springsteen when they fought a corporate giant to keep fans from overpaying on ticket prices??? All this does is hurt the fans in the end. There's not even enough North Carolina Pearl Jam fans to change the mind of the state in their decision. I understand what their trying to do,but this isn't a positive way to do it. Highly disappointed with them cancelling and feel sorry for the fans. Maybe they'll come back and play for PJ50.
  • Options
    No, no, no. Bad form overall PJ. 2 days before the show is unacceptable. This has been an issue for quite some time and plenty could have been done already such as:
    1) Inform us that this decision may take place, not a thought about people traveling such as airfare, hotels, etc. We could then also call the venue to support PJs protest. At this point, the venue still gets payed for the booking. Not well thought out.
    2) Donate proceeds to the correct organizations, dunno who they are talking to but it doesn't sound like they are in touch with the correct people
    3) Realize this is a place where a stand can be made in support of the LGBT community, with most everyone there in support of the right cause it's a place to create the type of atmosphere that some NCarolinians (politicians) apparently need. We are obviously not the enemy and the band has grouped NC residents together. As one I can say that most everyone I speak with (including many LGBT friends I have) from this state oppose the political decisions and actions are already being taken. By them not participating is just not what I expect out of this group.
  • Options
    I feel bad for the fans attending this show. I think they could have handled this better. As a few others have said they need to follow through and not play other states or countries that have awful laws.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    Most bands are deciding to play and donate money. The groups they're claiming to support want bands to come and speak out. They decided to do what Bruce did and wait as long as possible and then hurt their fans the most.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    lostaliaslostalias Posts: 57
    Complete bullshit. You are punishing your fans. I never thought Pearl Jam would do something like this. Absolutely disgusted. Sorry North Carolina fans.
  • Options
    dogtowndogtown Posts: 118
    edited January 2018
    Post edited by dogtown on
  • Options
    AlaG said:

Perhaps you're right. We're still equating fans of a rock band (who all must be relatively privileged to even think about affording to pay for airfare just to see their favorite band) to a group of people that are being denied basic human rights. Like I said, bummed for these fans, but there are much more important issues in this world than whether or not you get your rock show. Depressed to see the selfishness on here today.

Just curious, why is your focus on the people that are "privileged" enough to fly to a rock show in North Carolina, as opposed to the people who live in and around Raleigh and maybe saved up money to go see one and only one Pearl Jam show this year?

When one does not see what one does not see, one does not even see that one is blind. -Paul Veyne
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Was pissed about the cancellation but my 7" Crate is shipping! So back on board with this band!
  • Options
    AlaG said:

AlaG said:

AlaG said:

While I feel bummed for all the peeps with non-refundable plane tickets and hotel bookings, you also need to recognize that you're in a very small percentage of the band's fanbase. I doubt when making these decisions, their first thought is - "but man, we'd really be screwing that .5% of our fanbase that travels nationwide to see us".

You know what this post reminds me of? Politicians who pass discriminatory laws aimed at a small percentage of the population.
    Except their intent isn't to punish you at all... So no, not really. Not at all, actually.
    I'm fairly certain that the morons who passed HB2 don't believe their intent was to punish anyone either. They believe they're standing up for something and they're choosing to ignore that they're pissing on "a very small percentage" of people in the process.
    I'm not equating myself to the many thousands of people in my state who are and will suffer at the hand of this terrible law. Nor am I equating myself to the millions of people in this country or around the world who suffer similar or even greater injustices (including places where Pearl Jam doesn't seem to have a problem playing). Missing a rock show is an inconvenience at worst.

What I am equating is the mindset that it's ok to throw people under the bus to make a point or to protect someone else from some imagined harm. Hence the reason why this "protest" reminds me most of the very thing it's protesting.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    They just played 4 shows in Florida for fucks sake. Florida has awful laws against the lgbt community. This is laughable.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,145
    LEXINGTON
    Kentucky’s Senate on Tuesday passed a ‘religious freedom’ bill that provides businesses in the state a carte blanche license to discriminate against LGBT citizens.

Senate Bill 180 was proposed by Senator Albert Robinson (R) and was passed with an amendment that attempted to limit the scope of the bill. The bill received 22 votes in favor and 16 against.

The bill will undo 8 LGBT nondiscrimination measures in Kentucky, specifically measures in Covington, Danville, Frankfort, Lexington, Louisville, Midway, Morehead and Vicco.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"