Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    brianlux said:

Social awareness is an integral part of what has long been a part of what makes PJ a great band. Thanks for doing the right thing guys. Proud of you!

I agree with this. But it's from where I sit. I'm not going to this show so I don't have any money or time vested. If I did I might feel different. Sorry for people that lost money and are getting screwed out of their show. The Fuck You's are a bit strong and I think people saying that are taking this as a personal attack. It's not personal, it's business.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    I have a feeling Columbia is going to rock due to this! Make it up with a 4 hour set!
  • Options
    PJlivePJlive Earth Posts: 469
    JP Losman said:

hsohi said:

JP Losman said:

I think they are clueless and this is grandstanding by the band...you just played Florida with the crazy stand your ground laws...you are playing states with horrible voter ID laws that are racist and a civil rights problem. and you aren't listening to the people that are actually being discriminated or the people actually trying to repeal the law.

http://perezhilton.com/2016-04-12-north-carolina-needs-you-gay-friendly-organizations-asking-artists-not-cancel-shows

Stand your ground laws allow people to defend themselves...pal
    Yea tell that to Trayvon Martin's family
    I will and would. He wasn't so innocent was he... Get your head out of your ass.
    9/1-9/2/2000 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    4/28/2003 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    5/3/2003 - Bryce Jordan Center, State College, PA
    7/5-7/6/2003 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    7/13/2003 - Hershey Park, Hershey, PA
    10/1/2004 - Sovereign Center, Reading, PA
    9/1/2005 - Gorge, George, WA
    10/03/2005 - Wachovia Center, Phila, PA
    5/27-5/28/2006 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/16/2008 - Columbia, SC
    6/19-6/20/2008 - Tweeter Center, Camden, NJ
    6/24-6/25 - Madison Square Garden
    10/28-10/31/2008 - The Spectrum, Phila, PA
    9/22/2012 - MidTown, Atlanta, GA
    10/21-10/22 - Wells Fargo Center, Phila, PA
    10/30/2013 - Charlotte, NC
    04/21/2016 - Columbia, SC
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    edited April 2016
    choop said:

DPrival78 said:

choop said:

If you get angry you can't go see a band for the 10th, 30th, whatever time, just imagine how angry people must get when they can be denied rights because of their sexual orientation.

and pj cancelling this show is going to change that?
    maybe, definitely worth a shot in my opinion, and apparently the bands opinion.

there is loss of revenue. no beers sold. no tax on the profit from all the pearl jam merch that you all go nuts for. maybe some young kid goes canvassing on the issue now, etc.

so many ways this can make an impact. i mean it's not going to make them change the law overnight, but they've added their voice. they don't owe anyone a show.

A small group of people makes a reprehensible decision, and the move against that is to inconvenience your fans? who's really getting hurt by this and other similar moves by other businesses? it's like collective punishment for the acts of a vast minority.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    I feel bad for the fans who were planning to attend, especially those who were/are traveling. Every show is a significant life event for the real fans.

The fans who are calling the band names should be ashamed of themselves. This band has always stood up for what they believe in. It's one of the reasons we all love them.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    DR295987DR295987 Posts: 31
    zevilone said:

Columbia tix are ridiculously cheap right now on stubhub for those who need to change plans quickly

problem is I used my vacation time and money to travel to Raleigh where im sitting right now.... clearly the band doesn't value it's fans....
  • Options
    rchallenrchallen Posts: 58
    PJlive said:

Sucks. But the people of North Carolina did this to themselves!!!

More than 50% of us voted Democrat in the last election. The state government is rigged due to gerrymandering. This is an overreach of power by the Republican governor and his cronies, and doesn't represent the state as a whole. They didn't even open the law up to discussion (it literally went from non-existence to law in less than 24 hours) because they knew how many people would oppose it.

• Options
    EvieVedderEvieVedder NW Indiana Posts: 461
    I've been a diehard pj fan since I was 11 years old. I am also the proud momma of a 13 year old transgender daughter. This topic is very near and dear to my heart. I am so happy and proud to say that my favorite band is standing up for a cause that means everything to me. Yay pearl jam!
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,873
    rchallen said:

So I'm still proud to be a longtime resident of Charlotte, NC... Ironically a very progressive city, as apparently our decision to provide protection for the TG community provided the impetus for Gov. Patsy McCrory and his POS cronies to pass the horrible, awful HB2 law. Which specifically states that local governments and cities can NOT pass protections of their own.

But I'm deeply ashamed and embarrassed that the Republican legislature--which only came to power thanks to gerrymandering and the rural districts--has decided to launch their hateful campaign against ALL minorities. Not just the LBGT community, but also women, minorities, and even religion... There are NO protected classes under HB2 anymore. (McCrory has since "amended" the law to allow for some protected groups, which is a bit like Dick Cheney shooting you in the face and then offering you a Band-Aid two weeks later.)

On a social and moral level, I completely support Pearl Jam... and Springsteen as well. (Another show I planned to attend that got cancelled two days beforehand.) I agree that the timing could've been better, but I also suspect the time frame was chosen, as with Springsteen's decision, for maximum political impact. It's not just taking dollars out of the state... It's also drawing media attention to the POS idiots controlling our State house and adding political pressure in the hopes that they (eventually) do the right thing.

But here's my frustration in the interim: HB2 does NOT reflect the mindset of the state as a whole. It was a sneaky piece of legislation, rammed through in less than a day with no debate whatsoever, solely to punish the "progressive" cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Asheville, and others) and mobilize the far right wing to come to the polls in November. (Because nothing gets bigoted right-wingers more excited than denying basic rights to gays.) If the state wasn't gerrymandered to the point of insanity, these assholes wouldn't even BE in office... Much less passing divisive legislation with the confidence of men who know that their districts are SO red, their re-elections are all but assured. Meanwhile, anyone in the state who is liberal, progressive, or even moderate (which covers about 95% of most NC PJ fans) is punished by the actions of the bigots we did NOT vote for and do NOT support.

I hope the band gets a chance to read this post, as it comes from someone who's fought against (and voted against) these assholes for years and years. I deeply respect the hard decision they made, while also feeling the monumental (selfish) loss that comes from knowing that some of my favorite artists, and bands, will no longer visit my state while these idiots remain in power.

I love Charlotte, and I love North Carolina, and I hate the fact that a tiny hate-filled group has co-opted our government and currently holds the state hostage. They don't speak for us, and we will do everything in our power to vote them out come November. But if we don't... I might be asking for suggestions on where to move.

God bless Pearl Jam, and I hope you guys throw every ounce of your anger and energy into the Columbia show the following night. Because I will be there with all MY anger at the f**kers who keep trying to take my state away from me... and I could probably use some Release.

WELL SAID
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    FOR THOSE THAT NEED TO CANCEL HOTELS

just call the hotel and tell them your plans changed, you need to re-schedule they dates. Put the dates a few weeks out. This should be free.

A day before your 're-scheduled' hotel dates, just call and cancel. That should be free.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    From the band's POV, they have witnessed middle aged folks standing in line 4 or 5 hours for stickers...I'm sure they feel pretty Teflon. They know we aren't going anywhere :)
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Ouch.
    Anyone considered not canceling their plans?
    Go check out NC for a few days. Talk to the people, I'm sure they're nice. Wear PJ shirts all day every day. Remind the citizens that elections have consequences. Take that poster board you were going to use at the show and maybe swing by the capital building and march around their lawn for a while.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 539
    I knew plenty of people who were going because they live in the area and some who were traveling from NY to go, this just leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth. How can it be proven canceling is the most effective thing to do in this scenario? I feel bad for those who scored GA tickets and they're gone to waste now since it's such a crapshoot to even win those, who knows if they will ever again?
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I guess for the next lottery I better be familar with every stupid piece of local legislation in the works just in case PJ decides to throw a boycott out there a day or two before the show.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    CM189191 said:

Ouch.
    Go check out NC for a few days. Talk to the people, I'm sure they're nice. Wear PJ shirts all day every day. Remind the citizens that elections have consequences. Take that poster board you were going to use at the show and maybe swing by the capital building and march around their lawn for a while.

I was heading down anyway to surprise my sister for her 40th b-day on Friday. It would have been cool, to take her to her first PJ show.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    pookasnakepookasnake Posts: 161
    I am so devastated for everyone that lost out on this show. While I completely appreciate and understand PJs choice to take a stand, but to cancel 2 days out is ludicrous, and dare I say pretty fucking disrespectful to the fans. I am equal parts gutted and angry, and I'm so so sorry to all of you that are caught up in this.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there....

9b62a062-ff5e-4ae3-9ff8-6d47ef18c764_zps86ddfa45.jpg
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    Proud to be a fan of this band today. Ashamed to be a part of this fan base. I get it. I would be upset too. We all look so forward to these shows. But the selfishness and childishness is ridiculous. The band is not punishing you. You are collateral damage. It sucks. It's just that the band thinks the civil rights of others are more important than your concert. End story. It's also unfortunate to see tough life lessons being learned about purchasing non-refundable rooms and flights to an event that can very much be cancelled. Hopefully this law gets fixed and someday they come back and make everyone happy.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    CM189191 said:

Ouch.

No way man. If you hang out in North Carolina you're clearly supporting HB2. We can't have that can we?
  • Options
    evnicolasevnicolas Jacksonville, FL Posts: 5
    rchallen said:

I love Charlotte, and I love North Carolina, and I hate the fact that a tiny hate-filled group has co-opted our government and currently holds the state hostage. They don't speak for us, and we will do everything in our power to vote them out come November.

Kudos to your entire post, particularly this.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    PJlive said:

Sucks. But the people of North Carolina did this to themselves!!!

Bullshit!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 885
    I understand their decision, really do. However the timing.. Pretty bogus. They could've done it right, couple weeks ago on the same day Bruce did. That's what I honestly expected.
    Two days before. Cmon guys.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Isn't there a bit of a possibility that stuff like this might backfire and lead to even more discrimination towards transgender people? There's no doubt that the NC legislature is discriminating against them. But cancellations in protest (not just by Pearl Jam...but everyone who is or who plans to do this) might lead people to take out their frustration on transgender people. And I'm not saying they'll take it out on them with any malice. But transgender people are already a very small minority and the people who might have considered standing beside them in protest might develop a "fuck it" attitude towards them. As if they're not worth the trouble or something. I know that sounds mean-spirited. But let's face reality; there is definitely a Bruce Springsteen or Pearl Jam fan somewhere thinking "Oh because YOU have to use a certain bathroom, MY good time is ruined?!?!"

I dunno. Bruce Springsteen and Eddie Vedder with megaphones leading protesters onto the steps of the state capital would probably have greater effect than cancelling.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    DR295987 said:

clearly the band doesn't value it's fans....

Clearly the band values all humans and human rights.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722

Proud to be a fan of this band today. Ashamed to be a part of this fan base. I get it. I would be upset too. We all look so forward to these shows. But the selfishness and childishness is ridiculous. The band is not punishing you. You are collateral damage. It sucks. It's just that the band thinks the civil rights of others are more important than your concert. End story. It's also unfortunate to see tough life lessons being learned about purchasing non-refundable rooms and flights to an event that can very much be cancelled. Hopefully this law gets fixed and someday they come back and make everyone happy.

This!
    As a band, PJ has always tried to take its fans to cool places they themselves would want to go. At the moment, NC is not on that list of places.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Yet they play DC and bands like Rage play Cuba. Did Pearl Jam lose their shit when Obama watched a baseball game with a mass murderer recently in Cuba? I don't recall them protesting that.

This is complete bullshit. Play the show for your fans and say a few words if you want to bring attention to something. Otherwise, you're hypocritical for playing shows in any state or country where every law isn't exactly as you'd like it to be. But I guess they just couldn't resist the trendy freak-out over anything concerning LGBT at the moment.
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    PJlive said:

JP Losman said:

hsohi said:

JP Losman said:

I think they are clueless and this is grandstanding by the band...you just played Florida with the crazy stand your ground laws...you are playing states with horrible voter ID laws that are racist and a civil rights problem. and you aren't listening to the people that are actually being discriminated or the people actually trying to repeal the law.

http://perezhilton.com/2016-04-12-north-carolina-needs-you-gay-friendly-organizations-asking-artists-not-cancel-shows

Stand your ground laws allow people to defend themselves...pal
    Yea tell that to Trayvon Martin's family
    I will and would. He wasn't so innocent was he... Get your head out of your ass.
    Ok...we have found ourselves the one pearl jam in favor of HB2 so this guy has been impacted positively by PJ taking a stance. Standing ovation for him people.
  • Options
    ben30338ben30338 Georgia Posts: 47
    Reminds me of another worthless gesture with significant collateral damage, carter's boycott of the Moscow olympics - will be just as ineffective. While I'm at it, I'll be happy to place a wager with eddy that Florida is still above sea level in 10 years.
    2013: Charlotte
    2014: Lincoln, Memphis, No Code, Denver
    2015: Sao Paulo
    2016: Miami, Columbia, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    DragonsAfter3or4DragonsAfter3or4 Bluegrass Posts: 325
    What a punk ass move by the band 48 hours to show. Sure take a stand, but doing so like this so close to show date screws a ton of fans. Good, you're going to give ticket refunds, but now they're stuck with airfare and hotels.
    So the only stand you could take is to screw your fans? Complete dick move by the band.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021

DR295987 said:

clearly the band doesn't value it's fans....

Clearly the band values all humans and human rights.
    They can value all humans and humans rights without shitting on the fans.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011

Agree