Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    rssesq said:

best 8th post ever! All these PC principals round here, read it!
    you sir are stunning and brave

This bill is filled with many statements however, the main point of topic is the bathroom issue. I cannot believe that many of you see it in this light. What about the rights of women, young girls, e.t.c that want to use public restrooms without worrying about a cross dressing male using the same bathroom? I understand we all need to respect each others beliefs and lifestyles however, passing this piece of legislation would be a complete violation of the rights of all others, who are not TransG. Not to mention the possible security issues that could arise by allowing this to take place. At some point we have to realize that it cannot all be so simple. I, like most of you, have been to many shows over the years and truly have enjoyed every concert. One thing I have noticed about most fans is that many blindly follow the views of the band, regardless if they initially disagree. I think it is imperative to be completely independent from thought coercion. Either way, I applaud the band for having the balls to stand up for what they believe in, but doing in this way was absolutely wrong. Luckily I did not plan on going to this show, but I know many of you did and lost out big. I am sorry that this happened to you all, and hope you remember why you were such loyal fans in the first place.

this is the same stupid argument that constantly gets used on this topic. someone with malicious intent can already go into a bathroom now, and that shit is already illegal.

i liken this to guns right. everyone says it's not the guns and criminals don't follow the existing laws so why make new ones.

there are no examples of transgendered people using bathrooms anywhere else leading to instances of sexual assault or peeping toms or whatever. why make a law based on what ifs, especially when like the gun argument, criminals don't follow laws anyway.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    choop said:

rssesq said:

This bill is filled with many statements however, the main point of topic is the bathroom issue. I cannot believe that many of you see it in this light. What about the rights of women, young girls, e.t.c that want to use public restrooms without worrying about a cross dressing male using the same bathroom? I understand we all need to respect each others beliefs and lifestyles however, passing this piece of legislation would be a complete violation of the rights of all others, who are not TransG. Not to mention the possible security issues that could arise by allowing this to take place. At some point we have to realize that it cannot all be so simple. I, like most of you, have been to many shows over the years and truly have enjoyed every concert. One thing I have noticed about most fans is that many blindly follow the views of the band, regardless if they initially disagree. I think it is imperative to be completely independent from thought coercion. Either way, I applaud the band for having the balls to stand up for what they believe in, but doing in this way was absolutely wrong. Luckily I did not plan on going to this show, but I know many of you did and lost out big. I am sorry that this happened to you all, and hope you remember why you were such loyal fans in the first place.

this is the same stupid argument that constantly gets used on this topic. someone with malicious intent can already go into a bathroom now, and that shit is already illegal.

i liken this to guns right. everyone says it's not the guns and criminals don't follow the existing laws so why make new ones.

there are no examples of transgendered people using bathrooms anywhere else leading to instances of sexual assault or peeping toms or whatever. why make a law based on what ifs, especially when like the gun argument, criminals don't follow laws anyway.

There is an example...

University of Toronto

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/06/u-of-t-bathrooms-voyeurism_n_8253970.html
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    edited April 2016
    one can never be politically correct enough
    the media has played this masterfully. Well played sirs.

now if they can only figure out what to do with Bernie and Trump. That one, they dropped the ball on a bit. lol
    Post edited by rssesq on
  • Options
    inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243
    choop said:

rssesq said:

But under this law that malicious person can be asked to leave . if the law is overturned then that malicious person has the right to be there. Which ever way this turns out I still wouldn't send my daughter in a public bathroom just after watching an adult male enter the women's bathroom. Would you?
  • Options
    WORD!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    inmyNC said:

choop said:

rssesq said:

But under this law that malicious person can be asked to leave . if the law is overturned then that malicious person has the right to be there. Which ever way this turns out I still wouldn't send my daughter in a public bathroom just after watching an adult male enter the women's bathroom. Would you?
    An adult male is much different than a transgender woman.
    BS44325 said:

choop said:

rssesq said:

There is an example...

University of Toronto

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/06/u-of-t-bathrooms-voyeurism_n_8253970.html
    That's not an example applicable to North Carolina. That bathroom in Toronto was gender neutral.

Post edited by choop on
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284
    edited April 2016
    rssesq said:

Which ever way this turns out I still wouldn't send my daughter in a public bathroom just after watching an adult male enter the women's bathroom. Would you?

I wouldn't send my daughter unattended into a public bathroom period. How do you know there isn't a straight female predator in the bathroom?

That quoted the wrong person, but the point remains the same.

1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

rssesq said:

An adult male is much different than a transgender woman.
    Adult male are in fact different the transgendered people..its not the transgender I worry about.
    BS44325 said:

choop said:

rssesq said:

There is an example...

University of Toronto

That's not an example applicable to North Carolina. That bathroom in Toronto was gender neutral.

• Options
    stunning and brave
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

Adult male are in fact different the transgendered people..its not the transgender I worry about

Ok so the people you do worry about, there are already laws on the books regarding that.

• Options
    seanwon said:

rssesq said:

Which ever way this turns out I still wouldn't send my daughter in a public bathroom just after watching an adult male enter the women's bathroom. Would you?

I wouldn't send my daughter unattended into a public bathroom period. How do you know there isn't a straight female predator in the bathroom?

Well many would send their 11 yo daughters in a public bathroom if they couldn't wait. And my little girl's daddy is standing within hearing distance...
  • Options
    I live in Raleigh. I do not have to travel, however, with three kids, a full time job, a wife with a full time job and less minutes free time than there are hours in a day, an intimate night with our boys was something my wife and I had on our radar for a LONG time. We have been disgusted with House Bill Two since its inception. The NCGA and the governor have done very little, to work toward making things better for those directly effected by this absurd and far overreaching legislation. I wish I could say it is just about the LGBT community but is it NOT. There is MUCH more in HB2 that hurts many others all over our state, however the most egregious crap is dumped in the laps of our brothers and sisters of the LGBT community. I have been listening and enjoying the rantings and ravings of Pearl Jam for over a decade now and I was SO excited to see them come into my backyard and give a piece of their mind, actually SAY SOMETHING, and not simply cancel the show. #wearenotthis
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614

bgirl59 said:

Dear Tenclub members, here's a friendly reminder, don't take Pearl Jam for granted, when you do, shit happens

Who exactly was "taking Pearl Jam for granted"? The Tenclub members, the vast majority of whom did not vote for this law or these politicians?

I think the band is taking its fans for granted more so than those fans are taking the band for granted.
    Yep.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    cancelling 2 days before the concert date might also mean the venue stays empty ( as in it is too late to book some other event) - part of the protest is to take the only thing bassakwards politicians understand : $$$ as in lost tax revenue. Who knows maybe the venue owner will be soo ticked about lost $$ that they will stop supporting sad small minded people that hide behind "values" to hate on people they don't understand
    just my 2 cents
  • Options
    choop said:

inmyNC said:

Adult male are in fact different the transgendered people..its not the transgender I worry about

Ok so the people you do worry about, there are already laws on the books regarding that.

choop said:

inmyNC said:

As I said before under the standing law the malicious persons would be asked to leave.. Law overturned they would have a right to be there. In this day an age I concern myself with everything my children experience and could experience. That's just being a parent.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,169
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    So go ahead call the Governors office your local representatives in Raleigh complain to them that is where the anger should be directed at !!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

As I said before under the standing law the malicious persons would be asked to leave.. Law overturned they would have a right to be there. In this day an age I concern myself with everything my children experience and could experience. That's just being a parent.
    You just do not have a proper grasp of reality in this situation. If this law is overturned, it does not grant the right for someone with malicious intent to stay in the bathroom. I get protecting your kids, but this isn't protecting them any more than they are protected normally. Go and read the bill, and then go and look up current privacy laws, sexual assault and peeping tom laws, etc and understand that what you are worried about was illegal before HB2, and will be illegal if HB2 is repealed.

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594

So go ahead call the Governors office your local representatives in Raleigh complain to them that is where the anger should be directed at !!

People all over the country have been doing that for a month.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    And now there's this...
    http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/19/transparent-transgender-bathrooms/#ixzz46HyB6uL0

Apparently there are bathroom problems on the set of Transparent
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    ComeToTX said:

It obviously hasn't worked yet by them playing the show would of done zero for the cause , they cancelled and it makes the news way more effective...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    seanwon said:

rssesq said:

yikes. because female predators are oh so common.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149

ComeToTX said:

It obviously hasn't worked yet by them playing the show would of done zero for the cause , they cancelled and it makes the news way more effective...
    What news? Go to cnn.com Where is the headline?
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

And now there's this...
    http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/19/transparent-transgender-bathrooms/#ixzz46HyB6uL0

Apparently there are bathroom problems on the set of Transparent

Again, like the Toronto example, this is not exactly the same thing. This is an instance of gender neutral bathrooms. NC bathrooms would remain gender specific.

Gender neutral bathrooms are not uncommon in many places these days, but all these examples are not related to the NC bill.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,474
    I live in Houston, the 4th largest city in the US. They frequently play the big 3 cities and a whole bunch of smaller cities. They have been boycotting Houston for 13 years. I have to spend considerable time, money, and effort to see them. I've been all over the country to see them as well as Canada and Mexico. But, I don't have any complaints. I understand why they don't come to Houston. Heck, I don't want to be here either.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    JP Losman said:

ComeToTX said:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/18/media/pearl-jam-cancel-north-carolina-concert-lgbt/

it was a headline for most of the day yesterday. considering the short attention span of the news media, 20 hours as a headline was pretty good.

in addition, it was an article on every major music site, was trending on facebook and twitter, and was on nbc and fox news as well.

if they made comments at the show, this thread wouldn't be 20+ pages and none of those articles would exist.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    JP Losman said:

ComeToTX said:

trending is the new cnn.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    forgive me if my question is insencitive..I just got home and haven't been able to adequately educate myself to the topic yet.
    VOLARE said:

Bandaged hand in hand with the band's decision I stand.

Did you have tickets to the show?
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733

JP Losman said:

ComeToTX said:

trending is the new cnn.
    Yep. It's trending on facebook. It's fluctuated up and down the list of trends throughout the day. Currently, it's four headlines below "India National Cricket Team: Former Cricketer Sir Ian Botham Criticizes Team"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    choop said:

JP Losman said:

ComeToTX said:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/18/media/pearl-jam-cancel-north-carolina-concert-lgbt/

it was a headline for most of the day yesterday. considering the short attention span of the news media, 20 hours as a headline was pretty good.

in addition, it was an article on every major music site, was trending on facebook and twitter, and was on nbc and fox news as well.

if they made comments at the show, this thread wouldn't be 20+ pages and none of those articles would exist.
    Most of the day yesterday? It hasn't even been 24 hours since they announced it.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.