Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,677
    edited April 2016
    ZeldaZonk said:

Hey Pearl Jam and Bruce, thanks for using your fans to make a political statement. It would have been nice if you asked us first though!

Use your time and money to influence change, not your fans' money.

The arguments that PJ made a mistake are almost endless.

Well said. I am one of the many who got burned by the cancellation.
    "Asked us first"??? You don't seriously expect the band to poll the fans before protesting something, do you?
    I don't see that any of the fans' money is the band's business or problem unless you are talking actual concert ticket refunds, which they'll give.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    PJ_Soul said:

JP Losman said:

Been a fan since 1992, a member since 2013. A lot of you remind me of Grateful Dead fans, but not the good kind. The annoying kind that thinks that band exists SOLELY for the fan club/hardcore devotees that can afford to travel for a week following a band. I'm a bit jealous, that would be fun, but I have responsibilities and shit, can't afford that.

They are making a statement against hypocrisy, discrimination and the worst in humanity. Applaud them and hope that they would stand with you if you happen to be part of a "minority" or some other persecuted group.

See you at the first Wrigley show!!

They are making a statement that they are huge hypocrites by not taking a stand against all the explicit racial discrimination in America via the racist voter ID laws. They are making a huge statement by being hypocrites by playing Chile, which has some of the worst human rights violations and laws including no abortions even in the situation of rape.
    That is true. Every country has problems, but when the home turf is being stupid and discriminatory, art can make a difference. I agree that they probably wouldn't have cancelled if Bruce hadn't, but it is what it is.
    Of course they wouldn't have, because Bruce started a wave of it. The band obviously saw the impact the cancellations were having, realized it could have the biggest impact, and made their decision based on that. Kind of odd that some have suggested that them following Springsteen's steps in this somehow diminishes that act. I don't think it does at all. PJ is attempting to escalate the protest, likely with the hope that many others will follow suit as well. Makes sense.
    As for other places they've played with probs... so? They are allowed to pick their battles. Incan't stand this all or nothing theory i keep reading, as though if one chooses to protest one thing at one point in time they must choose to protest all things at all times, and otherwise they are hypocrites. This is such flawed and illogical thinking IMO.
    Boston and Ringo Starr just cancelled shows, Cyndi Lauper didn't but said she'd donate proceeds from the show to the LGBT cause...that one is kind of weird, I figured if anyone would cancel it would be her. Jumping on a bandwagon is how change can be made, all it takes is one spark.
    I've said all I need to say. Sorry for all of you Raliegh folks that are missing out, but imagine the make up shows when this situation gets resolved :)
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

I hope all this results in private bathrooms, showers, and locker rooms for everyone. I hate walking into a public restroom and smelling someone else's poop or hearing a dude fart at the urinal next to me

The guy next to you peering at your noodle.

I hear ya!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

JP Losman said:

Mike D88 said:

I gotta say I'm entertained by all these hastily reasoned posts that basically boil down to "I hope they cancel your show too." That'll learn 'em guys.

No, its a matter of showing that this wasn't a genuine action by them but mere grandstanding and riding Bruce's hard. If you are going to stand up for civil rights, then stand up for it. Don't just do what's trendy and don't be a hypocrite.
    Totally agree. Where was this cancellation when that law was enacted? Nope. Wait and see what liberals of greater renown do first and then follow suit.

I'm sure they were hoping with Bruce and the others, that clear minds would prevail in NC and this ridiculous law would be thrown out, especially after the $$$ lost. My guess is they waited as long as possible for the right thing to be done...it was not... and they had no other choice.

Now rumblings about the Panthers playing home games in Virginia
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options

Been a fan since 1992, a member since 2013. A lot of you remind me of Grateful Dead fans, but not the good kind. The annoying kind that thinks that band exists SOLELY for the fan club/hardcore devotees that can afford to travel for a week following a band. I'm a bit jealous, that would be fun, but I have responsibilities and shit, can't afford that.

They are making a statement against hypocrisy, discrimination and the worst in humanity. Applaud them and hope that they would stand with you if you happen to be part of a "minority" or some other persecuted group.

And when you land in Chicago from, say Seattle, two days prior to the shows... and they cancel the shows for the discriminatory practices of the Chicago PD... sing the same tune... right?

You just might so your comment can stand as it is. I'm just saying it's really easy to applaud PJ when you're not sitting in a Best Western in Raleigh twiddling your thumbs.
    I would also be super pissed, but I'd try and make the best out of it. Hang out in Chicago with my wife, have lots of drinks. I get being mad and venting but some of the attitudes on this forum smack of entitlement, like the band only exists for them.
    Of course make the best of it.

And of course... be super pissed- that's why people are venting and saying things they will not think once their wound shave healed over.

If nobody was pissed... the cancelled show would mean absolutely nothing. The fan reaction was part of the plan.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614

bgirl59 said:

Dear Tenclub members, here's a friendly reminder, don't take Pearl Jam for granted, when you do, shit happens

Who exactly was "taking Pearl Jam for granted"? The Tenclub members, the vast majority of whom did not vote for this law or these politicians?

I think the band is taking its fans for granted more so than those fans are taking the band for granted.
    Yep.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

JP Losman said:

They are making a statement that they are huge hypocrites by not taking a stand against all the explicit racial discrimination in America via the racist voter ID laws. They are making a huge statement by being hypocrites by playing Chile, which has some of the worst human rights violations and laws including no abortions even in the situation of rape.
    That is true. Every country has problems, but when the home turf is being stupid and discriminatory, art can make a difference. I agree that they probably wouldn't have cancelled if Bruce hadn't, but it is what it is.
    Of course they wouldn't have, because Bruce started a wave of it. The band obviously saw the impact the cancellations were having, realized it could have the biggest impact, and made their decision based on that. Kind of odd that some have suggested that them following Springsteen's steps in this somehow diminishes that act. I don't think it does at all. PJ is attempting to escalate the protest, likely with the hope that many others will follow suit as well. Makes sense.
    As for other places they've played with probs... so? They are allowed to pick their battles. Incan't stand this all or nothing theory i keep reading, as though if one chooses to protest one thing at one point in time they must choose to protest all things at all times, and otherwise they are hypocrites. This is such flawed and illogical thinking IMO.
    Boston and Ringo Starr just cancelled shows, Cyndi Lauper didn't but said she'd donate proceeds from the show to the LGBT cause...that one is kind of weird, I figured if anyone would cancel it would be her. Jumping on a bandwagon is how change can be made, all it takes is one spark.
    I've said all I need to say. Sorry for all of you Raliegh folks that are missing out, but imagine the make up shows when this situation gets resolved :)
    Agreed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,971
    edited April 2016
    ComeToTX said:

JimmyV said:

Are they seriously staying at the Four Seasons in Raleigh right now? Because how do you justify cancelling this show as part of a boycott and then pump hotel and restaurant dollars into the local economy? That isn't a boycott. That's taking a midtour vacation.

Where did you see that?
    Facebook, so take it with a grain of salt, but Mike is allegedly handing out stickers in Raleigh.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=284788761853248&set=gm.946218345490713&type=3&theater

EDIT: I think this might be a hoax.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DP13 said:

Publicity Jam

You sat there and came up with that to share? Brilliant!!!

• Options
    edited April 2016
    JimmyV said:

ComeToTX said:

JimmyV said:

Are they seriously staying at the Four Seasons in Raleigh right now? Because how do you justify cancelling this show as part of a boycott and then pump hotel and restaurant dollars into the local economy? That isn't a boycott. That's taking a midtour vacation.

Where did you see that?
    Facebook, so take it with a grain of salt, but Mike is allegedly handing out stickers in Raleigh.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=284788761853248&set=gm.946218345490713&type=3&theater
    So you're upset they had to stop for the night on their tour (and probably deal with some business shit front cancelling)? They probably had to be there to meet their merch, talk to some people, deal with the media - hardly a vacation, come on ... It is totally reasonable that they are there in town dealing with the cancellation. Pretty sure the point of cancelling wasn't to deprive the state of the band's stay at the Four Seasons. Look at the big picture dude, even if you don't agree with their decision.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

ComeToTX said:

JimmyV said:

Where did you see that?

So you're upset they had to stop for the night on their tour (and probably deal with some business shit front cancelling)? They probably had to be there to meet their merch, talk to some people, deal with the media... it is totally reasonable that they are there in town dealing with the cancellation.
    No...don't say you are boycotting and then set up shop at a posh hotel downtown. Stay across state lines. It isn't hard. If this is true - and I'm not sure it wasn't a hoax, so take it with a grain of salt, but if - then this is a bad look.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,342
    Who are all these posters that are here to bitch about this haven't seen any of you guys ever here and now they canceled your show and you're here to bitch about it , well I say get over it it's only a fucking rock concert !!!
    People's rights being trampled are way more important than loosing out on some $$$ , yes the timing sucks maybe the band was holding out in hopes this bullshit law would be reversed by now ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

ComeToTX said:

JimmyV said:

Where did you see that?

So you're upset they had to stop for the night on their tour (and probably deal with some business shit front cancelling)? They probably had to be there to meet their merch, talk to some people, deal with the media... it is totally reasonable that they are there in town dealing with the cancellation.
    No...don't say you are boycotting and then set up shop at a posh hotel downtown. Stay across state lines. It isn't hard. If this is true - and I'm not sure it wasn't a hoax, so take it with a grain of salt, but if - then this is a bad look.
    I think nitpicking like that is fairly pointless.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

ComeToTX said:

JimmyV said:

Where did you see that?

I think nitpicking like that is fairly pointless.
    Strongly disagree. Doesn't matter though. The facebook post was a hoax.

• Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542

Since I cannot afford to buy 2 new tickets for my son and I, then travel out of state. Which would require taking more time off work (unpaid), gas, lodging, etc. I'm sad because Pearl Jam cancelled the show that I had specifically bought a subscription to PJ10 to, so I could ultimately win, in the lottery, GA tickets to take my 17 yr old, music loving, straight A, helpful, respectful, different, non- conformist, job holding, not blinded by the National idea of contentment, lead singing/guitar playing in a band son to as a Christmas present. Even though he prefers punk music, Pearl Jam has played a bigger part in his development as a musician and as a human I'm proud to call my son. We are both sad at the missed experience and memories this show would have created. (I took him to the Atlanta music festival in 2013 to see Pearl Jam)
    I do not support this policy, or any others, that discriminate against my neighbors. It is a law meant to repress the people and grab power away from the local leaders by the power/money hungry elite that are destroying this state and world. But, with that being said, VA, Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, South America all have laws that discriminate against the minority with policies much worse than the one NC passed. Yet they are still going to tour to those states. Is it because we are a nation/people with such a 'I want it now', 'what's going on now', 'me-now me-now' mentality and short term memory, that since the NC law has been in the news lately (and is still a new policy with a high chance of being repealed) that they are willing to cancel their tour in NC yet not the other states that have equally (if not worse) discriminating policies/laws, and for a longer period of time? I'm just curious for thoughts. And thanks Pearl Jam, for wanting better for us all. Once I get over my (selfish) sadness for the missed experience and memories with my oldest son, I know I will feel less ashamed and less fear (if even for a moment) for the world I am leaving my kids because you have reinforced the same ideas I have tried to teach/show my kids.
    My son and I will miss you on 4/20.
    One person can change the world, unfortunately I (we) weren't fast enough creating that change for you. The bill is being taken to court, it's just a slow system. It'll happen though. Hope to see you play music sometime soon.

Incredible post. Nicely written.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,783
    How does this help?
    Im mean really.... all it does is hurt more people along the way.

Nothing will change.Instead of talking about it at the show and raising awareness about this issue they hide from it!

Why because the Boss said so?

I feel bad for all of you who had this decision made for you with less than a couple days notice.
    PJ knew if they would play or not instead they waited and waited.....

Refunding money doesnt hurt the band they have money.Your welcome by the way fellas.
    Do your job if you can call it that.

PJ should have shirts or stickers made up for everybody from that show.
    PJ should eat the cost like what a lot of these great people had to do along the way.

Imagine if everyone boycotted a PJ show....

This really makes me think twice about destination shows for this band on the futre.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,572
    PJ_Soul said:

And when you land in Chicago from, say Seattle, two days prior to the shows... and they cancel the shows for the discriminatory practices of the Chicago PD... sing the same tune... right?

You just might so your comment can stand as it is. I'm just saying it's really easy to applaud PJ when you're not sitting in a Best Western in Raleigh twiddling your thumbs.
    I would also be super pissed, but I'd try and make the best out of it. Hang out in Chicago with my wife, have lots of drinks. I get being mad and venting but some of the attitudes on this forum smack of entitlement, like the band only exists for them.
    to me it's understandable. people save sometimes year round for this, and then all that money and sacrifice is worthless. people can be sensitive to the issues but also be upset. it's not mutually exclusive.
    Yeah, but be upset as though their homes just got robbed? A reasonable, adult reaction to a concert being cancelled is, "oh man, bummer. Big huge bummer. Ah well, that's life." The reaction some fans are apparently having to this cancellation meant as a political protest by the band is so ridiculously over the top that it's embarrassing. And tbh, if a huge fan doesn't at least understand where the band is coming from, even if they for some reason feel like this protest is ineffective (despite evidence to the contrary), then I would argue that they don't really understand the band all that well. Also, it's a bit frustrating to see that so many people think that the band should base any of their decisions on the fact that a relatively small minority of fans decide to travel (without cancellation insurance) to see concerts. As though that is supposed to factor into their own plans and actions somehow. I don't understand that expectation.
    You don't understand the expectation of Pearl Jam playing a concert they organized and sold tickets to? Interesting.
  • Options
    Should have played Denver on 4/20 anyways ;)

• Options

The show posters and merch should be auctioned off to help what the band believes in

Bravo!! Great idea - Cancelling the show brings awareness to those who are not aware. It also takes money away from the state which is what they are trying to do. Hurt them where it really means something almighty $$
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    PJ_Soul said:

to me it's understandable. people save sometimes year round for this, and then all that money and sacrifice is worthless. people can be sensitive to the issues but also be upset. it's not mutually exclusive.
    Yeah, but be upset as though their homes just got robbed? A reasonable, adult reaction to a concert being cancelled is, "oh man, bummer. Big huge bummer. Ah well, that's life." The reaction some fans are apparently having to this cancellation meant as a political protest by the band is so ridiculously over the top that it's embarrassing. And tbh, if a huge fan doesn't at least understand where the band is coming from, even if they for some reason feel like this protest is ineffective (despite evidence to the contrary), then I would argue that they don't really understand the band all that well. Also, it's a bit frustrating to see that so many people think that the band should base any of their decisions on the fact that a relatively small minority of fans decide to travel (without cancellation insurance) to see concerts. As though that is supposed to factor into their own plans and actions somehow. I don't understand that expectation.
    to a concert being cancelled, yes, but for your planned and expensed holiday to be cancelled, I get it. It's never happened to me personally, but I get it. this is the internet. we have to expect people's opinions/frustration to be magnified. that's just the nature of it. I will just let them state their piece and move on.

the band are free to make political statements, but I'm not a big fan of it coming at the direct financial expense of their fans. back in 1995, they tried to make a political statement but the intention was to benefit their fans. it didn't work out that way, but at least that was the intention.

is there a risk of travelling to see a band? yes. cancellations happen. but not usually as a CHOICE.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,493
    edited April 2016
    "We had to make a real tough call about what we would do about the situation in North Carolina. Because they have a law there that broadly discriminates against a whole group of people. And I can't tell from here if you are booing North Carolina, if you're booing us for having to decide that we are not gonna play there. I would understand that too.

It was a hard process because we thought we could still play and make things right and we could fortify all the people on the ground working to repeal this despicable law.

We thought we could take the money and give it to them and still play the show, but the reality is there is nothing like the immense power of boycotting and putting a strain and it's a shame because people are going to affected that don't deserve it but it could be the way that ultimately is gonna affect change, so again, we just couldn't find it in ourselves in good conscience to cross a picket line when there was a movement so…

So we apologize to those in Raleigh, we apologize to those who are going to Raleigh, we apologize to the locals who probably believe in the same things that we do. They have a reason to be pissed, and we're pissed off too. But we gotta be pissed off at the right people and get them to change their minds because they made a mistake, a big mistake and they can fix it.

So tonight we play this one for all the soldiers in the LGBT community."
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    it made the ticker on that pinko commie Morning Joe show. lol
  • Options
    inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243
    There is no right answer here on the debate to this law. Cancelling a show IMO wasn't an answer. I would assume that transgendered people make up less then 1% of the NC population. I have no fact to back that I may be wrong but by giving them rights to use whichever bathroom they choose is taking away from the rights of people that choose to share a bathroom with members of the same sex. Isn't it???. There's no way to make every citizen of this country content ..there just isn't. I wouldn't have a problem with a member of the opposite sex using the same bathroom I do. Although I understand why some may have a issue with that.. There's just no right answer. Everyone here is way to far one way or another. I can see the argument from both sides. In the end It just seems to me that public bathrooms are marked men/or women.. We can't change every law for everyone. The band cancelled so the fans loose, the states revenue loses, the band loses. This is to me where progressiveness has gone a bit far.. I want everyone happy transgendered, gay, straight,young,old ,black and white. But eutopia doesn't exist.. Thanks for reading....
  • Options
    RobbyD462 said:

How does this help?

Nothing will change.Instead of talking about it at the show and raising awareness about this issue they hide from it!

I feel bad for all of you who had this decision made for you with less than a couple days notice.

Refunding money doesnt hurt the band they have money.Your welcome by the way fellas.

PJ should eat the cost like what a lot of these great people had to do along the way.

This really makes me think twice about destination shows for this band on the futre.

But this kind of protest does have a track record of helping. I am not clear on why you have written it off as worthless protest, or how you or anyone thinks having the show would be more effective somehow. And I think we all know they aren't doing it "because the Boss said so."
    As for the two days notice thing... not sure what is behind that timing. If I were to guess i would say it's because that causes the most inconvenience for everyone (not travelling fans specifically - I see no reason for any band to ever take that factor into consideration), which I believe is the whole point. Cancelling with plenty of time would severely reduce the effectiveness of the action. Leaving folks high and dry I think is the idea. Protest is all about causing disruption and inconvenience in order to force change. I feel like a lot of people have very much forgotten that. They seem to think that protest should be planned so that it doesn't disrupt or inconvenience anything or anyone, lol, which would render it completely ineffective.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

How does this help?

But this kind of protest does have a track record of helping. I am not clear on why you have written it off as worthless protest, or how you or anyone thinks having the show would be more effective somehow. And I think we all know they aren't doing it "because the Boss said so."
    As for the two days notice thing... not sure what is behind that timing. If I were to guess i would say it's because that causes the most inconvenience for everyone (not travelling fans specifically - I see no reason for any band to ever take that factor into consideration), which I believe is the whole point. Cancelling with plenty of time would severely reduce the effectiveness of the action. Leaving folks high and dry I think is the idea. Protest is all about causing disruption and inconvenience in order to force change. I feel like a lot of people have very much forgotten that. They seem to think that protest should be planned so that it doesn't disrupt or inconvenience anything or anyone, lol, which would render it completely ineffective.
    yes, of course it was planned for maximum effect. but that's the inherent problem. who is it disrupting the most? the lawmakers, or the fans and people who work for a living?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2016

PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

How does this help?

yes, of course it was planned for maximum effect. but that's the inherent problem. who is it disrupting the most? the lawmakers, or the fans and people who work for a living?
    Hopefully all of the above and then some. The more disruption it causes the better. The more artists who do it the better.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    its all fun and games until a she-male strolls up to the pisser beside you and pulls out donkey kong. lol j/k
  • Options
    RBKitajRBKitaj Posts: 3

Breaking News Concerning North Carolina's anti-LGBT law #HB2 - The 4th Circuit Court has ruled that Title IX requires schools receiving federal aid to let transgender kids use bathroom matching their gender ID. BIG blow to NC's #HB2! Details here - http://www.nbc12.com/story/31763345/appeals-court-rules-va-transgender-teen-can-use-male-bathroom
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,574
    edited April 2016
    KV4053 said:

This has actual economic impact to NC.
    This is a significant impact and it will force businesses to fight the NC government.
    The government will eventually back down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-W2R-_7l2k

A friend of mines family has been doing a large family summer vacation on the Outer Banks for 25 years now. They rent a big house, sometimes 2, and have 20-30 people down for a whole week.

My friend's brother is gay and about to marry his longtime partner. They have friends come to stay with them who are gay.

They just cancelled their vacation in NC and moved it to the Delaware shore.

That's $10-20,000 going to another state.

Imagine what happens if a few thousand or even a few hundred families do this.
  • Options
    rssesq said:

its all fun and games until a she-male strolls up to the pisser beside you and pulls out donkey kong. lol j/k

Which is apparently exactly what the state wants. Otherwise, she would be probably using the women's washroom.