Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614

bgirl59 said:

bgirl59 said:

Dear Tenclub members, here's a friendly reminder, don't take Pearl Jam for granted, when you do, shit happens

Who exactly was "taking Pearl Jam for granted"? The Tenclub members, the vast majority of whom did not vote for this law or these politicians?

I think the band is taking its fans for granted more so than those fans are taking the band for granted.
    If you purchased a nonrefundable airline ticket that you can't use ever, to fly there for a Pearl Jam show and nothing else, you took something for granted.
    Not really. Not at all actually. You entered into an agreement.

Taking PJ for granted would be electing to not see PJ because you think you can see them some other time.
    Well stated.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    i don't have time to read through every post, but there seems to be a common theme about loss...mostly of money, and some of entertainment/experience. and i wonder about this...loss...what was truly lost with the passage of this law not just for LGBT, but all of us? dignity? rights? respect? humanity? acceptance? tolerance? empathy? understanding?

I can understand disappointment, shit, I'd be bummed, too, but it's only money; it's not your dignity, pride, rights, freedom, or humanity. and, if there were a law to be one day passed that embarrassed and marginalized you, i hope to hell that people will stand up and fight for you.

i am reminded of what some guy once said, "what you do for the least of these brothers and sisters, you do for me."

take the long-view, use the wide angle lens, see the big picture, have a little perspective... it's not all about you, your needs, your loss...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-eddie-vedders-powerful-speech-on-pearl-jams-north-carolina-boycott-20160419
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    bookerTbookerT Posts: 32
    In support of Pearl Jam's decision to cancel their appearance in Raleigh, NC, in opposition of HB2, Wishlist Foundation is also cancelling their fan-run fundraiser, originally scheduled for Backyard Bistro on Wednesday, April 20.

In lieu of the preparty fundraiser event, Wishlist Foundation will host an online auction in support of the local beneficiary, NC Sustainable Energy Association (NCSEA). The auction will open Wednesday, April 20 with a poster, signed by Pearl Jam, from the band's 2012 performance at the famed Isle of Wight festival. More auction items will be posted in coming days.

In keeping with Pearl Jam's advocacy of renewable energy, NCSEA was chosen as the Raleigh beneficiary. Fans who would like to support the Herculean efforts by NCSEA are encouraged to do so with direct contributions or by following the Wishlist Foundation and NCSEA on social media for updates on future auction items.

Wishlist Foundation
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    North Carolina Sustainable Energy Association
    www.energync.org
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    jeffwalsh said:

I requested a refund for Columbia and have not heard anything back.

As someone who tried to get a refund because I personally wanted to boycott NC even if the band didn't, I am pretty certain they will not be giving you one, based on the communications I had last week.
    So you wanted to boycott but they wouldn't give you money back? But then they boycotted? Well, I guess you're getting your money back.

What a bizarre situation this is.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    http://www.carolinamercury.com/2016/04/mccrory-campaign-fires-back-at-ringo-clooney-springsteen-pearl-jam-and-others/

THIS guy is the reason this happened. This liar and bigot.

Cant even make up a lie that doesn't and a 20 year gap in truth.

Blame him. The bands do. You should to.
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    Glad that some of the ones burned were able to change their flights and hotels without penalty. I flew from Seattle for the Hampton and Raleigh shows, and Alaska Air while sympathetic to my situation would not allow me to change my return flight without paying fees and difference in airfare. I got stuck having to hang out in VA and NC until my original return date instead of saving two nights of hotel lodging for nothing.
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871

http://www.carolinamercury.com/2016/04/mccrory-campaign-fires-back-at-ringo-clooney-springsteen-pearl-jam-and-others/

What about that was a lie? I don't have have a dog in this fight and probably know very little about either side of the argument, but what this guy is pointing out seems pretty logical to me. Am I missing something here? How is that not hypocrisy? Someone earlier, presumably backing PJ's decision to cancel the show, said they were merely picking their battles, not being hypocrites. If that is the case, then they sure are selective on when they actually choose to pick up the fight, given all the other opportunities they've had to speak out on this same issue.

• Options

i don't have time to read through every post, but there seems to be a common theme about loss...mostly of money, and some of entertainment/experience. and i wonder about this...loss...what was truly lost with the passage of this law not just for LGBT, but all of us? dignity? rights? respect? humanity? acceptance? tolerance? empathy? understanding?

I can understand disappointment, shit, I'd be bummed, too, but it's only money; it's not your dignity, pride, rights, freedom, or humanity. and, if there were a law to be one day passed that embarrassed and marginalized you, i hope to hell that people will stand up and fight for you.

i am reminded of what some guy once said, "what you do for the least of these brothers and sisters, you do for me."

take the long-view, use the wide angle lens, see the big picture, have a little perspective... it's not all about you, your needs, your loss...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-eddie-vedders-powerful-speech-on-pearl-jams-north-carolina-boycott-20160419

+1 Great post. Thank you.
    Red Rocks 6/19/95 * Rapid City 6/24/98 * EV Vegas 11/1/12 * EV Tulsa 11/19/12 * Wrigley Field 7/19/13 * Brooklyn 10/19/13 * Philly 10/21/13 * Philly 10/22/13 * Hartford 10/25/13 * OKC 11/16/13 * Tulsa 10/8/2014 * Lincoln 10/9/2014 * Moline 10/17/2014 * St Paul 10/19/2014 * Greenville 4/16/16 * Philly 4/28/16 * Philly 4/29/16 * MSG 5/1/16 * MSG 5/2/16 * Wrigley 8/20/16 * Seattle 8/8/18 * Seattle 8/10/18 * Wrigley 8/18/18 * Asbury Park 9/18/21 * St Louis 9/18/22 * Denver 9/22/22 * St Paul 8/31/23
  • Options
    KC2917 said:

What about that was a lie? I don't have have a dog in this fight and probably know very little about either side of the argument, but what this guy is pointing out seems pretty logical to me. Am I missing something here? How is that not hypocrisy? Someone earlier, presumably backing PJ's decision to cancel the show, said they were merely picking their battles, not being hypocrites. If that is the case, then they sure are selective on when they actually choose to pick up the fight, given all the other opportunities they've had to speak out on this same issue.

They toured Singapore in 1995. Homosexuality was criminalized there in 2014.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    Maybe it's been said, I haven't read the dozens of pages, but of what I have read on here, people are zoning in on the transgender/bathroom issue. The law in question/under protest is far more reaching:
    "Does HB2 affect rights of people who aren’t gay or transgender?
    Yes. The law limits how people pursue claims of discrimination because of race, religion, color, national origin, biological sex or handicap in state courts. The law also means a city or county cannot set a minimum wage standard for private employers.""
    "The language in HB2 makes it more clear that the state does not intend to create a new class of protections based on sexual orientation or identity, and also will not allow cities and counties to create such a protected class."
    Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article68401147.html"

IE, private businesses can effectively fire staff or not serve customers, based on orientation/race/religion, etc. Yes, let's turn the clock back to 1955, please (/sarcasm).
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169

His reaction is pretty priceless. "Hey, a lot of places are just as bad as we are!"
  • Options
    ceska said:

Maybe it's been said, I haven't read the dozens of pages, but of what I have read on here, people are zoning in on the transgender/bathroom issue. The law in question/under protest is far more reaching:
    "Does HB2 affect rights of people who aren’t gay or transgender?
    Yes. The law limits how people pursue claims of discrimination because of race, religion, color, national origin, biological sex or handicap in state courts. The law also means a city or county cannot set a minimum wage standard for private employers.""
    "The language in HB2 makes it more clear that the state does not intend to create a new class of protections based on sexual orientation or identity, and also will not allow cities and counties to create such a protected class."
    Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article68401147.html"

IE, private businesses can effectively fire staff or not serve customers, based on orientation/race/religion, etc. Yes, let's turn the clock back to 1955, please (/sarcasm).

Thank you.
  • Options
    ceska said:

Maybe it's been said, I haven't read the dozens of pages, but of what I have read on here, people are zoning in on the transgender/bathroom issue

The GOP using the LGBT community as a hateful smokescreen to do other nefarious things is nothing new. That bit is the only discrimination they added in the process, the rest reduces due process options to fight discrimination claims, forcing people to jump over the state and file federally, which does save the state a lot of money and is possibly the real goal here.
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

His reaction is pretty priceless. "Hey, a lot of places are just as bad as we are!"
    I never read it, but did he actually say that?

Because if he did... Hahahahhaha!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I never read it, but did he actually say that?

Because if he did... Hahahahhaha!

I'm judiciously paraphrasing, but basically yes. ;-)
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Things were better when they didn't play the South at all
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

"but it's only money"

it's not only money. I have often contemplatedt that my most favorite place to be is at a pearl jam concert. There is nothing that compares to it. THAT is what was taken.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629

I have a feeling the vast majority of people wagging their fingers at those who are pissed off would be singing a much different tune if they lost out on $500+ of their hard earned money because PJ decided to make a last minute political statement.

I have a feeling that most people are more self-aware than that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Setting up a pretty tricky precedent for the sake of being trendy. I could list dozens of bad laws in states or counties where they have no problem playing.

There were more clever ways to have expressed dissent in this case. I wasn't going to the show, but I'm still annoyed by this decision.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    PJ_Soul said:

I have a feeling the vast majority of people wagging their fingers at those who are pissed off would be singing a much different tune if they lost out on $500+ of their hard earned money because PJ decided to make a last minute political statement.

It's not about being self-aware. They played DC in the middle of two unjust wars that caused the deaths of thousands of innocent people. That's just one of countless examples of why canceling this show was bullshit.

They weren't thinking out of the box or doing any real good for anyone. It was a selfish move done only to feel good about themselves for joining the "good guys" in a hot, current issue. I'm sure they're proud of themselves, but I think it was shameful and lazy.
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    Only money? Ya It grows on trees. 48hrs is f*d up.
  • Options
    Do you know the law that was passed? How it was passed and why? I'm a NC resident, and I'm aware the law will be repealed during the next mini session of the legislation in 6 weeks/I believe that's when it is. Just wondering if others outside NC really know? Apparently PJ didn't know the amount of pressure the government is under already for the deception they caused with this bill passage. (every heavy hitting educational system/UNC and Duke to name a few, corporation, political group/legislation, Labor groups, textile group, technology groups and the majority of the communities have voiced their displeasure and want to over turn this law. It'll happen in 6 weeks).
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    october22 said:

PJ_Soul said:

It's not about being self-aware. They played DC in the middle of two unjust wars that caused the deaths of thousands of innocent people. That's just one of countless examples of why canceling this show was bullshit.

They weren't thinking out of the box or doing any real good for anyone. It was a selfish move done only to feel good about themselves for joining the "good guys" in a hot, current issue. I'm sure they're proud of themselves, but I think it was shameful and lazy.
    No, I meant that most people are more capable of empathy than the other guy is assuming. :)

But I totally support the decision the band made. I don't think it matters when they did or didn't take some stand before in some other place. They decided to this time, so great. Inassune they saw others cancelling, recognized that was increasing pressure, and saw that the more boycotts there are the stronger the pressure is getting. They joined in on a protest that they saw may actually be working and that needs more participants to succeed. Laziness or lack thereof has nothing to do with it. I see no reason to make the wild and baseless assumption that it was a selfish move in the name of PR. I think the band genuinely care about LBGT rights and are pissed about this legislation just like everyone else, so did what they thought would have the most impact.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612

This is not fair. It paints everyone who is disappointed into a selfish and boorish corner. I take offense to that. There are gray areas in people's minds.

I can be against laws like that, for the LGBT group and also not entirely supportive of this decision. I am very, very pro LGBT.

The ends of pulling the rug out on their fans don't justify the means. It won't make much of a difference at all. These little turds of laws pop up from time to time as the last bastions of an aging out belief system. This thing is going to get repealed sooner than later with or without Bruce, PJ, etc. They had to pass the thing back-room. This law was already national news before bruce, pj, and Boston cancelled. The ratio of "hurting" their fans far outweighs the effect this will have on the situation. There are many ways to help that aren't a rash last second cancellation.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

Next month when the bank is expecting their mortgage payment, I'm going to tell them "it's only money" and I'm sure they'll understand.
  • Options
    I think the cause they are standing up for in the way they see fit far outweighs any inconvenience felt by fans. And i doubt it was a rash decision.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    edited April 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

I think the cause they are standing up for in the way they see fit far outweighs any inconvenience felt by fans. And i doubt it was a rash decision.

I'm sure it wasn't. That's why people are pissed. There was no reason to wait so long.

And since they did I'm boarding a plane to Raleigh right now.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ComeToTX said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'm sure it wasn't. That's why people are pissed. There was no reason to wait so long.

And since they did I'm boarding a plane to Raleigh right now.
    I would bet money that there was indeed a reason to wait so long.
    Have a good flight!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    I'd like to hear it. I think those of us out hundreds should know why they waited so long.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    ComeToTX said:

I'd like to hear it. I think those of us out hundreds should know why they waited so long.

This.

It's a noble cause which I support, and I admire the band's stance on it, just not the timing.

I also can't help but feel so many of the social justice warriors here wouldn't be so cavalier about lost travel expenses if it was them who lost out on a paycheck or two (or three).