Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 284

seanwon said:

rssesq said:

Which ever way this turns out I still wouldn't send my daughter in a public bathroom just after watching an adult male enter the women's bathroom. Would you?

I wouldn't send my daughter unattended into a public bathroom period. How do you know there isn't a straight female predator in the bathroom?

That quoted the wrong person, but the point remains the same.

yikes. because female predators are oh so common.
    Perhaps less common, but if something happened to my daughter at the hands of a female predator, I wouldn't be okay with it because female predators are less common. They certainly exist.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited April 2016

JP Losman said:

ComeToTX said:

So go ahead call the Governors office your local representatives in Raleigh complain to them that is where the anger should be directed at !!

People all over the country have been doing that for a month.
    It obviously hasn't worked yet by them playing the show would of done zero for the cause , they cancelled and it makes the news way more effective...
    What news? Go to cnn.com Where is the headline?
    trending is the new cnn.
    Yep. It's trending on facebook. It's fluctuated up and down the list of trends throughout the day. Currently, it's four headlines below "India National Cricket Team: Former Cricketer Sir Ian Botham Criticizes Team"
    it finally made facebook news from our media outlets here today and they are getting torn to shreds by fans, non fans, casual readers, and all those in between

ive seen more backlash from this than any progress in awareness to the issue, if anything its turned people off from the whole issue which I know wasn't the intent
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,474
    seanwon said:

seanwon said:

rssesq said:

Which ever way this turns out I still wouldn't send my daughter in a public bathroom just after watching an adult male enter the women's bathroom. Would you?

I wouldn't send my daughter unattended into a public bathroom period. How do you know there isn't a straight female predator in the bathroom?

That quoted the wrong person, but the point remains the same.

yikes. because female predators are oh so common.
    Perhaps less common, but if something happened to my daughter at the hands of a female predator, I wouldn't be okay with it because female predators are less common. They certainly exist.
    Female predators are in the news all the time. http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Police-NC-Teacher-Travels-to-Virginia-for-Sex-with-Boy-13-376115161.html
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    inmyNC said:

But under this law that malicious person can be asked to leave. if the law is overturned then that malicious person has the right to be there. Which ever way this turns out I still wouldn't send my daughter in a public bathroom just after watching an adult male enter the women's bathroom. Would you?

If they are malicious, they don't have the right to be there irregardless of their gender identity.
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    pjalive21 said:

JP Losman said:

ComeToTX said:

So go ahead call the Governors office your local representatives in Raleigh complain to them that is where the anger should be directed at !!

People all over the country have been doing that for a month.
    It obviously hasn't worked yet by them playing the show would of done zero for the cause , they cancelled and it makes the news way more effective...
    What news? Go to cnn.com Where is the headline?
    trending is the new cnn.
    Yep. It's trending on facebook. It's fluctuated up and down the list of trends throughout the day. Currently, it's four headlines below "India National Cricket Team: Former Cricketer Sir Ian Botham Criticizes Team"
    it finally made facebook news from our media outlets here today and they are getting torn to shreds by fans, non fans, casual readers, and all those in between

ive seen more backlash from this than any progress in awareness to the issue, if anything its turned people off from the whole issue which I know wasn't the intent
    I know me and my family will CONTINUE to fight it as we had been before but I would have had a much stronger fire in my belly if I got that pep talk from the band I was hoping for tomorrow. Much of the conversation the last couple weeks with friends (not in real advocacy) however has been a debate on these tactics as opposed to the underlying issue.
  • Options
    inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243
    choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

Adult male are in fact different the transgendered people..its not the transgender I worry about

Ok so the people you do worry about, there are already laws on the books regarding that.

choop said:

inmyNC said:

Adult male are in fact different the transgendered people..its not the transgender I worry about

Ok so the people you do worry about, there are already laws on the books regarding that.

As I said before under the standing law the malicious persons would be asked to leave.. Law overturned they would have a right to be there. In this day an age I concern myself with everything my children experience and could experience. That's just being a parent.
    You just do not have a proper grasp of reality in this situation. If this law is overturned, it does not grant the right for someone with malicious intent to stay in the bathroom. I get protecting your kids, but this isn't protecting them any more than they are protected normally. Go and read the bill, and then go and look up current privacy laws, sexual assault and peeping tom laws, etc and understand that what you are worried about was illegal before HB2, and will be illegal if HB2 is repealed.

Because malicious people were shirts that say "I'm malicious". Look I've read the bill .. My stance is what it is. Just as yours is yours. I'm uncomfortable with letting anyone use whatever bathroom they so choose. There have been a few calling this piece of legislature a violation of human rights... I don't agree with that summation. A violation of human rights is not being able to use a bathroom at all. My main point is while giving rights to some takes away rights of many.. So I agree to disagree with you respectfully.. Peace... And long live our favorite band
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

As I said before under the standing law the malicious persons would be asked to leave.. Law overturned they would have a right to be there. In this day an age I concern myself with everything my children experience and could experience. That's just being a parent.
    You just do not have a proper grasp of reality in this situation. If this law is overturned, it does not grant the right for someone with malicious intent to stay in the bathroom. I get protecting your kids, but this isn't protecting them any more than they are protected normally. Go and read the bill, and then go and look up current privacy laws, sexual assault and peeping tom laws, etc and understand that what you are worried about was illegal before HB2, and will be illegal if HB2 is repealed.

Because malicious people were shirts that say "I'm malicious". Look I've read the bill .. My stance is what it is. Just as yours is yours. I'm uncomfortable with letting anyone use whatever bathroom they so choose. It will only cause problems. There have been a few calling this piece of legislature a violation of human rights... I don't agree with that summation. A violation of human rights is not being able to use a bathroom at all. My main point is while giving rights to some takes away rights of many.. So I agree to disagree with you respectfully.. Peace... And long live our favorite band
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    Ally McBeal was way ahead of its time. #unisexbathrooms
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

But under this law that malicious person can be asked to leave. if the law is overturned then that malicious person has the right to be there. Which ever way this turns out I still wouldn't send my daughter in a public bathroom just after watching an adult male enter the women's bathroom. Would you?

If they are malicious, they don't have the right to be there irregardless of their gender identity.
    But how do we know who is malicious?
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

I'm uncomfortable with letting anyone use whatever bathroom they so choose.

Then you should have no problems then, as no trans person chose to be trans. The only people choose to use a "different" restroom are the fictional predators used to get people to back these laws.

Until some man sees a therapist, gets on female hormones, takes testosterone blockers, starts electrolysis, gets facial feminization surgery, gets breast implants, changes their name, changes their government identification, has their high school diploma and college degrees reissued under a new name, and rebuilds an entirely new life where are they are more hated, judged, criticized, assaulted, and ostracized than ever before, with higher rates of suicide, depression, and murder than they would have experienced before all of this... all so they can get their kicks and finally pee in a stall next to other women? That's an active fantasy life.
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

I'm not working backwards to try and solve the trojan horse argument that this bill has nothing to do with, as far as supposed malicious people trying to get into restrooms. I'm only fighting for trans people to use the bathroom that lines up with their gender identity. So, i can't help you there.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    You all should hang down in AMT more often - full of facts, fear and let's not forget, FUN!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

Then you should have no problems then, as no trans person chose to be trans. The only people choose to use a "different" restroom are the fictional predators used to get people to back these laws.

Until some man sees a therapist, gets on female hormones, takes testosterone blockers, starts electrolysis, gets facial feminization surgery, gets breast implants, changes their name, changes their government identification, has their high school diploma and college degrees reissued under a new name, and rebuilds an entirely new life where are they are more hated, judged, criticized, assaulted, and ostracized than ever before, with higher rates of suicide, depression, and murder than they would have experienced before all of this... all so they can get their kicks and finally pee in a stall next to other women? That's an active fantasy life.
    Beautifully put.

By preventing a trans person to not use the bathroom of their identified gender, that doesn't make you comfortable, that makes you someone who discriminates.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Hugh watched Ally McBeal :giggle:

(I'll admit to getting sucked in to some episodes!)

When I traveled through Europe years ago, unisex bathrooms were more the rule than the exception (assume it's still that way?) and as a young woman never once felt unsafe. There was privacy and basic respect / courtesy all around.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

Well said, probably the best I've seen on here.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Thanks, ya'll. I ran an LGBT youth support site for a long time, and have a best friend who is early in her journey as a trans woman, so this stuff is very personal to me, since I want her to thrive.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,461
    inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

Because malicious people were shirts that say "I'm malicious". Look I've read the bill .. My stance is what it is. Just as yours is yours. I'm uncomfortable with letting anyone use whatever bathroom they so choose. There have been a few calling this piece of legislature a violation of human rights... I don't agree with that summation. A violation of human rights is not being able to use a bathroom at all. My main point is while giving rights to some takes away rights of many.. So I agree to disagree with you respectfully.. Peace... And long live our favorite band
    Keep in mind that the majority of sexual predators are not strangers lurking in bathrooms. The reality is that if your child is molested it's going to be a family member, neighbor, friend, teacher, coach, prom date or other person who is known to you long before the assault occurs.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    hedonist said:

Hugh watched Ally McBeal :giggle:

(I'll admit to getting sucked in to some episodes!)

When I traveled through Europe years ago, unisex bathrooms were more the rule than the exception (assume it's still that way?) and as a young woman never once felt unsafe. There was privacy and basic respect / courtesy all around.
    I didn't. I just recall all the hubub about them having unisex washrooms (and the guy who had a remote control to get a "fresh bowl") at their office and some dancing baby hologram.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legs said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

choop said:

inmyNC said:

Keep in mind that the majority of sexual predators are not strangers lurking in bathrooms. The reality is that if your child is molested it's going to be a family member, neighbor, friend, teacher, coach, prom date or other person who is known to you long before the assault occurs.
    I can agree with you on that!
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

I'm not working backwards to try and solve the trojan horse argument that this bill has nothing to do with, as far as supposed malicious people trying to get into restrooms. I'm only fighting for trans people to use the bathroom that lines up with their gender identity. So, i can't help you there.
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

So we should make a change to the law for good people whom are transgendered and represent at the very most 2% of our population so they can have rights whilst many more who are opposed to open restrooms lose theirs?
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

So we should make a change to the law for good people whom are transgendered and represent at the very most 2% of our population so they can have rights whilst many more who are opposed to open restrooms lose theirs?

We didn't. NC changed the law to specifically add discrimination for trans people. Other cities within NC wanted to voluntarily change their laws to support that existing right, and that is when the state sanctioned discrimination over inclusion.

There have already been "open restrooms" for everyone up until this law. And most people who oppose it are afraid because of the misinformation campaign about sexual predators, and should a man be able to use a women's restroom, etc. But you can't lose a right you never had previously, well... unless you're trans, I guess.
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 824
    This has turned into a great discussion. Guess the cancellation achieved something, at least ;)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

We didn't. NC changed the law to specifically add discrimination for trans people. Other cities within NC wanted to voluntarily change their laws to support that existing right, and that is when the state sanctioned discrimination over inclusion.

There have already been "open restrooms" for everyone up until this law. And most people who oppose it are afraid because of the misinformation campaign about sexual predators, and should a man be able to use a women's restroom, etc. But you can't lose a right you never had previously, well... unless you're trans, I guess.
    I wish that everyone could be pleased and do as they wish but 100% of country will never be content 100% of the time. Its not a eutopia.. Every law can't be changed for everybody. It just isn't possible. As I've said before be who you want to be, and live as you want to live. There will always be opposition.
  • Options
    inmyNC said:

I wish that everyone could be pleased and do as they wish but 100% of country will never be content 100% of the time. Its not a eutopia.. Every law can't be changed for everybody. It just isn't possible. As I've said before be who you want to be, and live as you want to live. There will always be opposition.

I've been gay and out long enough to know that not everyone is on board, so as long people let me live my life fully and equally, they can think whatever they want about me in private. I certainly do about them. ;-)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,133
    I honestly can't believe people buying into the bulkshit that if you let a transgendered person use the restroom of their choosing that you somehow aren't protecting kids and opening it up for pedophiles, etc.

You seriously think a law requiring people use the bathroom of their choosing is keeping kids safe from CRIMINALS that are sick and breaking the law anyhow? Really?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    I like turtles
  • Options
    SB51327SB51327 NJ Posts: 35
    inmyNC said:

inmyNC said:

jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

Really? We should not even had the law because no issue actually existed. Anyone who thinks this law has to REALLY do with bathrooms is really missing the point.
  • Options
    choop said:

jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

Beautifully put.

By preventing a trans person to not use the bathroom of their identified gender, that doesn't make you comfortable, that makes you someone who discriminates.
    I'm uncomfortable with whom will abuse the freedom of using any bathroom they choose. not transgendered people. If there was not the possibility of perverse people using this as method to for fill their perversion the I'd see this whole thing in another light.
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

inmyNC said:

I've been gay and out long enough to know that not everyone is on board, so as long people let me live my life fully and equally, they can think whatever they want about me in private. I certainly do about them. ;-)
    Be proud.