Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    but gammy would faint.
    PJ_Soul said:

rssesq said:

its all fun and games until a she-male strolls up to the pisser beside you and pulls out donkey kong. lol j/k

Which is apparently exactly what the state wants. Otherwise, she would be probably using the women's washroom.
  • Options

The show posters and merch should be auctioned off to help what the band believes in

Bravo!! Great idea - Cancelling the show brings awareness to those who are not aware. It also takes money away from the state which is what they are trying to do. Hurt them where it really means something almighty $$
    Send the posters back to the printer and print CANCELLED across the front and a comment to the lawmakers in Raleigh, NC and then sell them at Ten Club giving all the proceeds to the groups mentioned in the press release. Everyone wins a bit. Including me...who lost out on my hometown concert. PNC is 15 minutes from my house. And they have not been here since 2003. ( And to anyone who thinks that those of us who lost this show are whiners....I'd like to hear the masses in NYC, Boston or Chicago if they ever had to cancel a show in those cities. It would be DEAFENING.)
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    RBKitaj said:

Breaking News Concerning North Carolina's anti-LGBT law #HB2 - The 4th Circuit Court has ruled that Title IX requires schools receiving federal aid to let transgender kids use bathroom matching their gender ID. BIG blow to NC's #HB2! Details here - http://www.nbc12.com/story/31763345/appeals-court-rules-va-transgender-teen-can-use-male-bathroom

This is among my biggest issues with this. This law is doomed with or without Bruce and PJ.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Exactly. This doesn't change anything.... All publicity unfortunately. Yeesh.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    DR295987DR295987 Posts: 31
    funny how all those on here in favor of the cancellation say it's just a few dollars suck it up...what if you were out the money that equates to a significant sum to many of us... at the very least 10 club and the band should be contacting people who they know were traveling and offer something...hell a freakin guitar pick... but nope hey you lost a grand suck it up... considering they all our multi millionaires they could afford to offer something... how about doing a show in a small venue and offering tics only to 10c members who were traveling from out if town?

and then paying for their travel? never gonna happen of course...the 1%er rock stars want their money....

or how bout those of you in favor trade me your tickets fir my raleighs? show that your truly support this decision because if you won't give yours up well you're a hypocrite at best

oh and for those of you thinking it's gonna cost NC money...sorry I took the ticket money and spent it here anyway...in fact more

my 10c membership coincidentally expires tomorrow... guess who won't be renewing...

there's a thought give us a year free on 10c.. oh wait the fans need to pay not the band they got bills to pay. those 5 star suites and fancy wine are expensive
  • Options
    michael_augustinemichael_augustine Chicago Posts: 40
    The band should start selling travel insurance as a part of their tickets, so if they decide to randomly cancel because it's the hot thing the fans won't have to eat the costs of the travel.
    Cincinnati 00'
    Cleveland 03'
    Pittsburgh 03'
    Cincinnati 06'
    Chicago 08' (EV Into the Wild 1 & 2)
    Chicago 09' (1 & 2)
    Chicago 11' (EV Uke 1 & 2)
    East Troy 11' (PJ20 1 & 2)
    Chicago 13' (Wrigley)
    Brooklyn 13' (1 & 2)
    Moline 14' (No Code)
    Milwaukee 14' (Yield)
    Chicago 16" (Wrigley 1 & 2)

• Options
    DR295987 said:

my 10c membership coincidentally expires tomorrow... guess who won't be renewing...

You will save $20!
    What was your membership number?
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,851
    Feel sorry for those who would have travelled a long, long way to the show. Maybe an alternative would be to do a sit in/occupy the arena until the police/authorities forced the band out. Imagine the press coverage of that!

Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205
    The show is obviously not happening so here's my best solution:

1) finally repeal this ugly law in the next month

2) PJ comes back for a 2 night stint around Bonaroo since their schedule is wide open then
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    Just one medium but...

http://www.cnn.com/

Where is PJ cancels tour headline?

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    I have a feeling the vast majority of people wagging their fingers at those who are pissed off would be singing a much different tune if they lost out on $500+ of their hard earned money because PJ decided to make a last minute political statement.
  • Options

Who are all these posters that are here to bitch about this haven't seen any of you guys ever here and now they canceled your show and you're here to bitch about it , well I say get over it it's only a fucking rock concert !!!
    People's rights being trampled are way more important than loosing out on some $$$ , yes the timing sucks maybe the band was holding out in hopes this bullshit law would be reversed by now ...

Spoken like someone with no skin in the game. Not a member of Pearl Jam. Not a North Carolina resident. Not a ticket-holder.

It's easy to play an activist on the internet.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    jeffwalsh said:

MayDay10 said:

Southwest refunded me all my points as well as the $11 fee. Very pleased with them... borderline blown away.

Be lucky you are not Kevin Smith.
    Wouldn't Kevin have just gotten twice as much money back?!
    Kevin Smith actually lost 90 pounds so he is good now. At least there's that.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 824
    I find it incredible that people are coming on here and accusing Pearl Jam - a band that almost imploded over service charges on concert tickets - of grandstanding. If there's one thing this band's ever done it's stand up for what it believes in. I personally would've loved it if they'd played the show, and I think them opening with "People Have the Power" would've made as big a statement as a cancellation. But thank fucking God people some people are willing to take a stand.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    chriszeechriszee Posts: 107
    What good does playing the show do? Sure they can donate proceeds and in the short term may seem like a nice gesture, but if people keep getting on board with this movement, it will help make change. Just like Ed said, "crossing the picket line" would not have been a good thing. Bands with this type of clout need to stick together here. If you are only going to Raleigh NC for the concert with no intention of making a vacation out of it or just to sit on a cement pad in a GA line and are upset about this, you clearly arent seeing the bigger picture. Their are real rights and peoples lives being violated here. The band has every right to stand up and do what they feel is right. Sorry that some dont get to chance to wave at Ed or get one of Mikes picks in Raleigh
  • Options
    This bill is filled with many statements however, the main point of topic is the bathroom issue. I cannot believe that many of you see it in this light. What about the rights of women, young girls, e.t.c that want to use public restrooms without worrying about a cross dressing male using the same bathroom? I understand we all need to respect each others beliefs and lifestyles however, passing this piece of legislation would be a complete violation of the rights of all others, who are not TransG. Not to mention the possible security issues that could arise by allowing this to take place. At some point we have to realize that it cannot all be so simple. I, like most of you, have been to many shows over the years and truly have enjoyed every concert. One thing I have noticed about most fans is that many blindly follow the views of the band, regardless if they initially disagree. I think it is imperative to be completely independent from thought coercion. Either way, I applaud the band for having the balls to stand up for what they believe in, but doing in this way was absolutely wrong. Luckily I did not plan on going to this show, but I know many of you did and lost out big. I am sorry that this happened to you all, and hope you remember why you were such loyal fans in the first place.
  • Options
    serpent boyserpent boy Virginia Beach Posts: 372
    chriszee said:

What good does playing the show do? Sure they can donate proceeds and in the short term may seem like a nice gesture, but if people keep getting on board with this movement, it will help make change. Just like Ed said, "crossing the picket line" would not have been a good thing. Bands with this type of clout need to stick together here. If you are only going to Raleigh NC for the concert with no intention of making a vacation out of it or just to sit on a cement pad in a GA line and are upset about this, you clearly arent seeing the bigger picture. Their are real rights and peoples lives being violated here. The band has every right to stand up and do what they feel is right. Sorry that some dont get to chance to wave at Ed or get one of Mikes picks in Raleigh

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1106-op-ed-north-carolinas-transgender-fight-needs-musicians-to-show-up/

Here's an op-ed that clarifies why it is important for bands to KEEP playing shows in NC and find other ways of assisting with the issue. This will only further fuck up NC's education funding for children who have no say in this issue.

You're totally right that a show is meaningless compared to the issue, but the cancellation means more than just a message and a night off for the band and its fans. It has lasting impacts on the people of NC who DON'T support the legislation, and that's truly unfortunate.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,474
    NWOntario said:

I find it incredible that people are coming on here and accusing Pearl Jam - a band that almost imploded over service charges on concert tickets - of grandstanding. If there's one thing this band's ever done it's stand up for what it believes in. I personally would've loved it if they'd played the show, and I think them opening with "People Have the Power" would've made as big a statement as a cancellation. But thank fucking God people some people are willing to take a stand.

Exactly Right. This band has consistently stood up FOR fans FOR YEARS. They have supported good causes and they continue that tradition with this latest fight. God bless them. Very few people/companies/organizations are willing to stand up. Love these guys.

Don't forget, the band lost a LOT of money by doing this....and also staked their faith in us to stick with them on this fight.

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    DR295987 said:

funny how all those on here in favor of the cancellation say it's just a few dollars suck it up...what if you were out the money that equates to a significant sum to many of us... at the very least 10 club and the band should be contacting people who they know were traveling and offer something...hell a freakin guitar pick... but nope hey you lost a grand suck it up... considering they all our multi millionaires they could afford to offer something... how about doing a show in a small venue and offering tics only to 10c members who were traveling from out if town?

and then paying for their travel? never gonna happen of course...the 1%er rock stars want their money....

or how bout those of you in favor trade me your tickets fir my raleighs? show that your truly support this decision because if you won't give yours up well you're a hypocrite at best

oh and for those of you thinking it's gonna cost NC money...sorry I took the ticket money and spent it here anyway...in fact more

there's a thought give us a year free on 10c.. oh wait the fans need to pay not the band they got bills to pay. those 5 star suites and fancy wine are expensive

What do you give to the affected folks of this absurd law the ones that really matter , what do you say to them fuck it deal with it ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243

This bill is filled with many statements however, the main point of topic is the bathroom issue. I cannot believe that many of you see it in this light. What about the rights of women, young girls, e.t.c that want to use public restrooms without worrying about a cross dressing male using the same bathroom? I understand we all need to respect each others beliefs and lifestyles however, passing this piece of legislation would be a complete violation of the rights of all others, who are not TransG. Not to mention the possible security issues that could arise by allowing this to take place. At some point we have to realize that it cannot all be so simple. I, like most of you, have been to many shows over the years and truly have enjoyed every concert. One thing I have noticed about most fans is that many blindly follow the views of the band, regardless if they initially disagree. I think it is imperative to be completely independent from thought coercion. Either way, I applaud the band for having the balls to stand up for what they believe in, but doing in this way was absolutely wrong. Luckily I did not plan on going to this show, but I know many of you did and lost out big. I am sorry that this happened to you all, and hope you remember why you were such loyal fans in the first place.

Nicely put.... Can't change every law for everyone!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    KV4053 said:

NWOntario said:

Exactly Right. This band has consistently stood up FOR fans FOR YEARS. They have supported good causes and they continue that tradition with this latest fight. God bless them. Very few people/companies/organizations are willing to stand up. Love these guys.

Don't forget, the band lost a LOT of money by doing this....and also staked their faith in us to stick with them on this fight.

The band has a lot more 0's in their bank statements than I do. They can also schedule a show anywhere and make that money up. We all aren't that lucky.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,474
    ComeToTX said:

KV4053 said:

NWOntario said:

The band has a lot more 0's in their bank statements than I do. They can also schedule a show anywhere and make that money up. We all aren't that lucky.
    I wasn't comparing their bank account to yours or mine. All I am saying is that cancelling was a bad business decision, but a great decision for humanity and civil rights.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    KV4053 said:

ComeToTX said:

KV4053 said:

NWOntario said:

I wasn't comparing their bank account to yours or mine. All I am saying is that cancelling was a bad business decision, but a great decision for humanity and civil rights.
    and he was saying it really didn't hurt them business-wise at all, when you don't need the money or can make it up in any number of ways with very little effort.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    PJ_Soul said:

RobbyD462 said:

How does this help?
    Im mean really.... all it does is hurt more people along the way.

Nothing will change.Instead of talking about it at the show and raising awareness about this issue they hide from it!

Why because the Boss said so?

I feel bad for all of you who had this decision made for you with less than a couple days notice.
    PJ knew if they would play or not instead they waited and waited.....

Refunding money doesnt hurt the band they have money.Your welcome by the way fellas.
    Do your job if you can call it that.

PJ should have shirts or stickers made up for everybody from that show.
    PJ should eat the cost like what a lot of these great people had to do along the way.

Imagine if everyone boycotted a PJ show....

This really makes me think twice about destination shows for this band on the futre.

But this kind of protest does have a track record of helping. I am not clear on why you have written it off as worthless protest, or how you or anyone thinks having the show would be more effective somehow. And I think we all know they aren't doing it "because the Boss said so."
    As for the two days notice thing... not sure what is behind that timing. If I were to guess i would say it's because that causes the most inconvenience for everyone (not travelling fans specifically - I see no reason for any band to ever take that factor into consideration), which I believe is the whole point. Cancelling with plenty of time would severely reduce the effectiveness of the action. Leaving folks high and dry I think is the idea. Protest is all about causing disruption and inconvenience in order to force change. I feel like a lot of people have very much forgotten that. They seem to think that protest should be planned so that it doesn't disrupt or inconvenience anything or anyone, lol, which would render it completely ineffective.
    I think this cause is worthy enough for Eddie to talk about it at the show.He talks about everything else he feels strongly about.
    Why cancel the show because Bruce Springsteen cancels the show?

I really don't mean any offence this sucks for everyone involved.:(

Just hope everybody marooned out there by this is able to make do.

Hope they change the law!
    If you gotta go you gotta go come on
    They have to wake up its 2016!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    edited April 2016
    best 8th post ever! All these PC principals round here, read it!
    you sir are stunning and brave

• Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    The band Boston cancelled three shows. I guess people are somewhat lucky PJ only had one show scheduled.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147
    dlymnfld said:

The band Boston cancelled three shows. I guess people are somewhat lucky PJ only had one show scheduled.

And those going to the Boston shows have almost a month notice before the shows.
    well, fuckers, he still stands
  • Options
    more than a feeling
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937

dlymnfld said:

And those going to the Boston shows have almost a month notice before the shows.
    Exactly.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Foreplay Longtime