Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205

NDJeff7 said:

Had tickets to the show, live in Durham and work in Raleigh. Been in the club since '92 and couldn't believe they were finally coming to Raleigh. For anyone who thinks the majority down here supports this law is insane. These were a group of conservative, redneck politicians who passed a law in one day without anyone even knowing about it until after it happened.
    I haven't always agreed with the band's politics, but I've respected it. I think they dropped the ball here. I say make your statement on the stage. They have a day off today, come early and join the protests down in front of the state house. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to cancel, but it does feel like the safe way out for the band. I can tell you in Raleigh and Durham we are a very open minded group of people who in no way agree with this garbage legislation. Wish they had played their show and joined the protest...

This.
    This would speak VOLUMES. I hope they do this and post on here that they plan on doing it, because I would join them in a heart beat!
    I've got a big car. I would have picked them up and brought them there if they needed a ride!
  • Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    NDJeff7 said:

NDJeff7 said:

Had tickets to the show, live in Durham and work in Raleigh. Been in the club since '92 and couldn't believe they were finally coming to Raleigh. For anyone who thinks the majority down here supports this law is insane. These were a group of conservative, redneck politicians who passed a law in one day without anyone even knowing about it until after it happened.
    I haven't always agreed with the band's politics, but I've respected it. I think they dropped the ball here. I say make your statement on the stage. They have a day off today, come early and join the protests down in front of the state house. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to cancel, but it does feel like the safe way out for the band. I can tell you in Raleigh and Durham we are a very open minded group of people who in no way agree with this garbage legislation. Wish they had played their show and joined the protest...

This.
    This would speak VOLUMES. I hope they do this and post on here that they plan on doing it, because I would join them in a heart beat!
    I've got a big car. I would have picked them up and brought them there if they needed a ride!
    Yea but lets be real...they don't really care about making a difference and trying to repeal the bill. Otherwise, they would have played the show. The option they chose was for pure publicity. If they are at all genuine then they will come and join the protest. If they don't, then they are full of crap. Ball is in their court.
  • Options
    nmtheonmtheo Louisville Posts: 61
    I do understand that it is important to support PJ's decision and not play Raleigh!!! But I do not feel selfish in saying that I took this week off of work to support my favorite band Pearl Jam of which I have been a member since 1998... Last night was a great show in Hampton and now I sit in limbo until Thursday! This is the 2nd time I have driven to a show to have it cancelled last minute!!! It is a terrible disappointment!! I feel that PJ did not have to take this out on their fans bc we are a very dedicated group to which we have supported them and helped change their lives as well!!!
    KY PJ Fan
  • Options
    bookerTbookerT Posts: 32
    Hey All, I have been getting a lot of questions about whether or not the Wishlist pre-party is happening in Raleigh and wanted to keep you informed....

We are working with the Wishlist board to make the best decision possible for everyone involved. As soon as we have an official statement it will be posted on the Porch and on the Facebook event (click here).

In the meantime, we ask for your patience as we work through this unprecedented situation in the history of the Wishlist Foundation (and the state of North Carolina). Sincerely, David.
  • Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205
    JP Losman said:

NDJeff7 said:

NDJeff7 said:

This.
    Yea but lets be real...they don't really care about making a difference and trying to repeal the bill. Otherwise, they would have played the show. The option they chose was for pure publicity. If they are at all genuine then they will come and join the protest. If they don't, then they are full of crap. Ball is in their court.
    I agree, and that's why I think it was weak to cancel. I was telling a buddy of mine, 20 years ago there's no way they cancel. They'd join the fight, play the show and light a T-shirt of McCrory on fire while they played leash.
  • Options

For those bickering about "why" it took Pearl Jam "so long" to decide, this is NOT an any decision, and as Ed was quoted, they thought about continuing on with the show and donating all proceeds. But in the end, it was decided to just make the boldest statement possible and that was canceling the show and giving a firm stance of support for the LGBT community in that backwards state of NC. I'm lucky that I never had interest in the Raleigh show, I'm limited to Philly 2, but I do empathize with the good fans who support PJs decision, but are also missing out on possibly the only show they could have attended. But for those ridiculing Pearl Jam as well as slamming the LGBT community and supporting that evil law in NC... go fuck yourselves!

Your last statement is out of line. I haven't seen one post where people have slammed the LGBT community. In fact, every post has supported them.

And PJ made a dramatic statement with a move that has directly affected many people. For the moment, those people are in a place where they can question the tactic- more so than people completely unaffected can flaunt their moral superiority.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bookerT said:

Hey All, I have been getting a lot of questions about whether or not the Wishlist pre-party is happening in Raleigh and wanted to keep you informed....

We are working with the Wishlist board to make the best decision possible for everyone involved. As soon as we have an official statement it will be posted on the Porch and on the Facebook event (click here).

In the meantime, we ask for your patience as we work through this unprecedented situation in the history of the Wishlist Foundation (and the state of North Carolina). Sincerely, David.

Totally forgot about this and the funds you raise. Too funny. More collateral damage.

Who's being hurt by this decision? I'm thinking the politicians couldn't care less whether PJ plays NC or not.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    What ever it's a free country but seems hypocritical when they play around the world where human rights really don't exist.
    firehouse 20
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    fireman20 said:

What ever it's a free country but seems hypocritical when they play around the world where human rights really don't exist.

Their North Korean bootleg is one of their best shows ever, I have to admit.
  • Options
    Electro_UKElectro_UK Posts: 119
    jeffwalsh said:

fireman20 said:

Beat me to it :(
    "Hey Eddie, great show-- fuck you!"
    PJ - London 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12 + 21/6/12, Isle of Wight 23/6/12, Seattle 6/12/13, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Boston 5/8/16 + 7/8/16
    Ed - London 31/7/12, Amsterdam 27/5/17 + 30/5/17, London 6/6/17 + 7/6/17
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,977
    I can honestly say I don't think they would have cancelled had Bruce not. It reeks of being sheep to their elder statesmen; Bruce, Neil, etc. Take your own stand. this decision, IMO, was the lazy way of doing it. get creative. move the show to a public park and play acoustic for free and hand out signs and invite the press and politicians who support the repeal of the law. but just not showing up is weak.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    Thank You Pearl Jam! Dear Tenclub members, here's a friendly reminder, don't take Pearl Jam for granted, when you do, shit happens, Pearl Jam fan 101!
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    The only argument that would have convinced me in Pearl Jam's sincerity is Roskilde. Had Ed brought it up in his speech or the letter, I would totally understand their decision.

But, unfortunately, they (Ed mostly) just couldn't help following Springsteen's demarche.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,772

I can honestly say I don't think they would have cancelled had Bruce not. It reeks of being sheep to their elder statesmen; Bruce, Neil, etc. Take your own stand. this decision, IMO, was the lazy way of doing it. get creative. move the show to a public park and play acoustic for free and hand out signs and invite the press and politicians who support the repeal of the law. but just not showing up is weak.

I completely agree. There's no way the thought of cancelling entered their minds until Bruce Springsteen did it. This law was passed a month ago. If they (and by "they", I mean Eddie Vedder), really wanted to boycott because of it, they would have done it then. It's not like they didn't know they had an upcoming North Carolina concert scheduled.

And you're right about it being lazy and lacking creativity. In the early afternoon before the concert, the band could totally have led a peaceful protest on the steps of the state capital building or something to that nature. And then play the show at night with a feeling that the band and the fans that protested actually accomplishing something. Cancelling accomplishes nothing.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

fireman20 said:

Ahh..nothing like a little levity to cut the tension. Great timing. No disrespect to anybody's opinion but this was a well-timed response.
  • Options
    But this is obviously a thread/discussion of great import so please don't think I was trying to make light of any of the impassioned stances contained herein.
  • Options
    JuannicenboimJuannicenboim Argentina Posts: 60
    well done, boys! so proud of you. feel sorry for those of you who had planned on going
    Buenos Aires 11/25/05
    Buenos Aires 11/26/05
    Porto Alegre 11/28/05
    La Plata 11/13/11
    Buenos Aires 4/3/13
    Berlin 6/26/14
    Santiago 11/4/15
    La Plata 11/7/15
    Sao Paulo 11/14/15
    Chicago 08/20/16
    Chicago 08/22/16
  • Options

But this is obviously a thread/discussion of great import so please don't think I was trying to make light of any of the impassioned stances contained herein.

Don't apologize. It was a good post.
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 840
    Close all the bathrooms. Line up a bunch of port-o-potties out front. Problem solved. Next
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    TheSeekerTheSeeker Posts: 66
    bgirl59 said:

Thank You Pearl Jam! Dear Tenclub members, here's a friendly reminder, don't take Pearl Jam for granted, when you do, shit happens, Pearl Jam fan 101!
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!

100% correct - if you have been along on this ride you know this to be true.
    Peace + Love
    i dont ? our Xtence, I just ? our modern needs
  • Options
    bcokerbcoker Posts: 7
    This issue isn't exactly the Iraq War. It involves a small group of people in one state. Anything in the state law that is perceived to allow discrimination against gay people is already over-ridden by federal court rulings. Those parts of it will get over-turned by the courts.

The only non-litigated issue is whether a state can ban men with penises from using women's bathrooms. The law only bans it in public restrooms -- businesses are free to set their own rules. Should men who claim to "identify as a woman" be allowed in women's bathrooms? That is the question.

Unless someone can come up with a system that helps women to differentiate between a likely harmless transgender and a sex offender wearing a dress, this should not be permitted. There are far more sexual assaults on women then there are transgender men. Laws that elevate the emotional comfort of a relative few over the physical safety of a large group of vulnerable people are dangerous. It's one thing to protest big issues that affect many Americans, but bathroom policies are not worthy of a political boycott.

• Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    When I was watching the Periscope feed last night during "Not for You" someone commented in the chat........."This Bathroom is Not for You"
  • Options
    Electro_UKElectro_UK Posts: 119

The only argument that would have convinced me in Pearl Jam's sincerity is Roskilde. Had Ed brought it up in his speech or the letter, I would totally understand their decision.

But, unfortunately, they (Ed mostly) just couldn't help following Springsteen's demarche.

They have to call back to a horrific tragedy of a totally different nature to convince you that they give a shit? What? Cancelling a show is a very sincere thing to do.
    "Hey Eddie, great show-- fuck you!"
    PJ - London 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12 + 21/6/12, Isle of Wight 23/6/12, Seattle 6/12/13, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Boston 5/8/16 + 7/8/16
    Ed - London 31/7/12, Amsterdam 27/5/17 + 30/5/17, London 6/6/17 + 7/6/17
  • Options
    bgirl59 said:

Dear Tenclub members, here's a friendly reminder, don't take Pearl Jam for granted, when you do, shit happens

Who exactly was "taking Pearl Jam for granted"? The Tenclub members, the vast majority of whom did not vote for this law or these politicians?

I think the band is taking its fans for granted more so than those fans are taking the band for granted.
  • Options
    bcoker said:

This issue isn't exactly the Iraq War. It involves a small group of people in one state. Anything in the state law that is perceived to allow discrimination against gay people is already over-ridden by federal court rulings. Those parts of it will get over-turned by the courts.

The only non-litigated issue is whether a state can ban men with penises from using women's bathrooms. The law only bans it in public restrooms -- businesses are free to set their own rules. Should men who claim to "identify as a woman" be allowed in women's bathrooms? That is the question.

Unless someone can come up with a system that helps women to differentiate between a likely harmless transgender and a sex offender wearing a dress, this should not be permitted. There are far more sexual assaults on women then there are transgender men. Laws that elevate the emotional comfort of a relative few over the physical safety of a large group of vulnerable people are dangerous. It's one thing to protest big issues that affect many Americans, but bathroom policies are not worthy of a political boycott.

So I think it was completely short sided and insincere for PJ to cancel but this not the only issue with the law. The bill opens the door to private businesses to refuse service for being gay. A restaurant could have a sign that says no gays allowed or kick you out for being gay. And the gay person would not be able to sue. There are similar problems in terms of being hired or fired for a job. The people who are truly against HB2 bill don't look at it as a bathroom bill. The proponents have been painting it as a bathroom bill because it makes it a smaller issue. But what I find funny is all these PJ fans who are applauding PJ and referring to the bathroom issue as the main problem with the bill. Sure, bathrooms are part of it but its only one part and not the most overreaching part. There are other issues related to state law over city ordinances and things like whether a city can raise the minimum wage. I'm against the bill big time and fighting to change it....but PJ took the cowards route.
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 279
    Been a fan since 1992, a member since 2013. A lot of you remind me of Grateful Dead fans, but not the good kind. The annoying kind that thinks that band exists SOLELY for the fan club/hardcore devotees that can afford to travel for a week following a band. I'm a bit jealous, that would be fun, but I have responsibilities and shit, can't afford that.

They are making a statement against hypocrisy, discrimination and the worst in humanity. Applaud them and hope that they would stand with you if you happen to be part of a "minority" or some other persecuted group.

See you at the first Wrigley show!!
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    bcoker said:

This will be an unpopular post, but it's well constructed.
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    I love how a lot of people think it was just Ed. You realize this band is from Seattle right? The PacNW has a huge LGBT community and I bet it was a no brainer for the whole band.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Man, all I can imagine in how bummed the fans are that dropped a lot of money. I work in a bike shop in Alaska, so my wages aren't the greatest. Haha. If the canceled MSG I'd be out 500 on my plane, 350 on my room, and 188 on my tickets.
    I totally get why people are bummed. I hope pearl jam reads all of this and does something great for the fans that missed out. I'm Nuteral when it comes to politics and am open minded to all views. Remember when democrats and republics could be friends?

They still can. It's a great thing!
  • Options

Been a fan since 1992, a member since 2013. A lot of you remind me of Grateful Dead fans, but not the good kind. The annoying kind that thinks that band exists SOLELY for the fan club/hardcore devotees that can afford to travel for a week following a band. I'm a bit jealous, that would be fun, but I have responsibilities and shit, can't afford that.

They are making a statement against hypocrisy, discrimination and the worst in humanity. Applaud them and hope that they would stand with you if you happen to be part of a "minority" or some other persecuted group.

See you at the first Wrigley show!!

They are making a statement that they are huge hypocrites by not taking a stand against all the explicit racial discrimination in America via the racist voter ID laws. They are making a huge statement by being hypocrites by playing Chile, which has some of the worst human rights violations and laws including no abortions even in the situation of rape.