Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    DR295987DR295987 Posts: 31
    choop said:

DPrival78 said:

choop said:

If you get angry you can't go see a band for the 10th, 30th, whatever time, just imagine how angry people must get when they can be denied rights because of their sexual orientation.

and pj cancelling this show is going to change that?
    maybe, definitely worth a shot in my opinion, and apparently the bands opinion.

there is loss of revenue. no beers sold. no tax on the profit from all the pearl jam merch that you all go nuts for. maybe some young kid goes canvassing on the issue now, etc.

so many ways this can make an impact. i mean it's not going to make them change the law overnight, but they've added their voice. they don't owe anyone a show.

no since I'm already here I'll take that money and spend it elsewhere in NC... the state isn't out a dime in lost revenue....
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    edited April 2016

No no no. I didn't any point suggest that a trans person would be the predator in this hypothetical scenario. I said a male predator could try to take advantage to gain access to the ladies room.

Which is how I responded: that someone doing this couldn't just pretend they were trans and then it would go away.
    Post edited by jeffwalsh on
  • Options

When I checked yesterday, for a single ticket, I was offered the last row of the third and final level up, in the back corner furthest away from the stage. So, there goes that theory.
    Maybe. Maybe not. I've tried to purchase Pearl Jam tickets *when they go live* through Ticketmaster and been presented with only bullshit 300-level options. That's what happened at Charlottesville in 2013. So, there goes that theory?

Seems different than trying a few days from the show where the system isn't being over-run, but you're welcome to whatever theory suits you. ;-)
  • Options

Maybe. Maybe not. I've tried to purchase Pearl Jam tickets *when they go live* through Ticketmaster and been presented with only bullshit 300-level options. That's what happened at Charlottesville in 2013. So, there goes that theory?

Seems different than trying a few days from the show where the system isn't being over-run, but you're welcome to whatever theory suits you. ;-)

• Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    I have been on here since 1999, I have never seen a topic generate such passionate responses.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,587
    RBKitaj said:

Long time Pearl Jam fan but new here so I apologize if I make a few missteps. Glad that the North Carolina cancellation has led to a spirited conversation. As the parent of a transgender kid, I am touched deeply by Pearl Jam's actions. Transgender folk - whom the hateful #HB2 law in North Carolina use in a cynical fear mongering travesty of justice - are at extreme risk without new laws putting pressure on them. These terrible new laws put an incredible amount of strain upon an already oppressed group. For those just learning about the topic - Zach Stafford in The Guardian reports that,"An analysis of data compiled by the National Transgender Discrimination Survey last month shows that when young people are denied access to a restroom that aligns with their gender identity, their rates of suicide go up.

Translation: not allowing trans youth to use a bathroom only perpetuates feelings of isolation or depression that lead 41% of transgender people to attempt kill themselves at some point in their lives, compared to the 4.6% in the general population.

This finding should be at the forefront of everyone’s minds as this bill takes effect in North Carolina, and as other proposed legislation moves forward in states like Kansas, where officials have proposed a bill that would allow someone to sue a public school if they saw a transgender person in a bathroom that didn’t match their sex assigned at birth. (Who is going to be checking people’s genitals if this passes? And isn’t that assault?)

Beyond the research, suicide in North Carolina is a very personal topic for many activists and leaders I have spoken to over years reporting on LGBT violence in the state, where sources have told me that this is one of the biggest concerns they see in their community daily.

Since 2014, the city of Charlotte, which passed the original LGBT non-discrimination ordinance that sparked this new anti-trans bill, has had at least four trans youths take their own lives. One of them was a local homecoming king."
    More at: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/24/north-carolina-anti-transgender-bathroom-law-dangerous-discrimination

Pearl Jam has gone to bat for my kid and others in the LGBT community.
    And it is not just a message about North Carolina. 100+ anti-LGBT bills are pending in the United States: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lgbt-state-bills-discrimination_us_570ff4f2e4b0060ccda2a7a9

Thanks for reading my post.

Awesome first post
    Thanks for your honesty and reasonable thoughts in this swirling storm of hate and ignorance.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I'm sure this will work as well as their fight against Ticketmaster. The legislation will get turned around and what Bruce and they did will have had zero impact on effecting that. Total vanity move which is the modern liberal way.

Oh for the days of George Harrison and Bangladesh where musicians made statements by doing something, not by NOT doing something.

One of the most beautiful and my most favorite concerts.

• Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    DR295987 said:

choop said:

DPrival78 said:

choop said:

If you get angry you can't go see a band for the 10th, 30th, whatever time, just imagine how angry people must get when they can be denied rights because of their sexual orientation.

there is loss of revenue. no beers sold. no tax on the profit from all the pearl jam merch that you all go nuts for. maybe some young kid goes canvassing on the issue now, etc.

so many ways this can make an impact. i mean it's not going to make them change the law overnight, but they've added their voice. they don't owe anyone a show.

no since I'm already here I'll take that money and spend it elsewhere in NC... the state isn't out a dime in lost revenue....
    you will not spend as much as 14,000 people drinking beer and buying t-shirts though.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 723
    choop said:

DR295987 said:

choop said:

DPrival78 said:

choop said:

you will not spend as much as 14,000 people drinking beer and buying t-shirts though.
    And hotel rooms, taxis, Ubers, rental cars...
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    I think I can prove means and opportunity, but motive eludes me. Can we get a Ticketmaster expert to testify?
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    Oh for the days of George Harrison and Bangladesh where musicians made statements by doing something, not by NOT doing something.
    Well said. The same thought has crossed my mind, though not with the Harrison reference point.
    08.06.2000 • Greensboro
    06.26.2006 • St. Paul
    11.30.2012 • Fort Lauderdale [EV]
    10.29.2013 • Charlottesville
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I just don't get why a transgendered man would want to use the ladies' room...those ladies' room lines are waaaaay to long...especially at concerts! For example...you could be rocking out at PJ when finally My Father's Son gets played! Since it blows goats you run to the ladies' room only to find that every other woman at the show hates that shitty song too. So you end up stuck in line only to miss the one time they play Dirty Frank all tour!
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,499
    PJ is on the right side of history.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,608
    They waited until two days before the show to announce. What reason would that be other than a screw you to the fans? They could have done this a week ago. But they wanted to screw over their traveling fans apparently.
  • Options
    The comments over at AVClub are about a thousand times better than the comments here.

http://www.avclub.com/article/pearl-jam-has-also-canceled-its-north-carolina-sho-235499
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Mike D88 said:

choop said:

DR295987 said:

choop said:

DPrival78 said:

choop said:

if you think they won't spend the money elsewhere youre a fool...hello most of them live in NC.. theyll just spend it on something else...smh at the level of stupidity here
  • Options
    I Can't be mad at Pearl Jam for not playing NC. I am sad because I won Global Citizen tickets to that show, but I am PROUD that they are standing up for what they believe and what they know is right. Shame on North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory and his "bathroom bill." It is hate, fear, and injustice, and it shouldn't be and will not be accepted. As a Global Citizen, I stand with my brothers and sisters in NC who have been stripped of their basic human rights. In solidarity <3 You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train <3 I would rather starve than eat your bread <3
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    DR295987 said:

Mike D88 said:

choop said:

DR295987 said:

choop said:

DPrival78 said:

choop said:

if you think they won't spend the money elsewhere youre a fool...hello most of them live in NC.. theyll just spend it on something else...smh at the level of stupidity here
    Ok but you understand now that this money was not spent at a Pearl Jam concert though, right.

The sheer amount of bigotry, lack of compassion, failure to grasp economics, and utter selfishness in this thread is mind blowing.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,541
    DR295987 said:

Mike D88 said:

choop said:

DR295987 said:

choop said:

DPrival78 said:

choop said:

Yes, but pearl jam wont be the cause of it. And tax money spent on tickets will be refunded.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    DR295987 said:

Want to talk about it?
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    foxkids4foxkids4 Cedar Rapids, IA Posts: 49
    ....too bad a second show in SC couldn't happen and the NC ticket holders could be allowed entry with their tix? The venue's free!
    2013: Wrigley and Brooklyn 1 & 2
    2014: St. Louis, Moline and St. Paul
    2016: Philly 1 and 2
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,938
    EV just addressed he issue in VA. Hopefully a transcript can be released soon. Don't want to paraphrase and or words in his mouth.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,717
    RBKitaj said:

Long time Pearl Jam fan but new here so I apologize if I make a few missteps. Glad that the North Carolina cancellation has led to a spirited conversation. As the parent of a transgender kid, I am touched deeply by Pearl Jam's actions. Transgender folk - whom the hateful #HB2 law in North Carolina use in a cynical fear mongering travesty of justice - are at extreme risk without new laws putting pressure on them. These terrible new laws put an incredible amount of strain upon an already oppressed group. For those just learning about the topic - Zach Stafford in The Guardian reports that,"An analysis of data compiled by the National Transgender Discrimination Survey last month shows that when young people are denied access to a restroom that aligns with their gender identity, their rates of suicide go up.

Translation: not allowing trans youth to use a bathroom only perpetuates feelings of isolation or depression that lead 41% of transgender people to attempt kill themselves at some point in their lives, compared to the 4.6% in the general population.

This finding should be at the forefront of everyone’s minds as this bill takes effect in North Carolina, and as other proposed legislation moves forward in states like Kansas, where officials have proposed a bill that would allow someone to sue a public school if they saw a transgender person in a bathroom that didn’t match their sex assigned at birth. (Who is going to be checking people’s genitals if this passes? And isn’t that assault?)

Beyond the research, suicide in North Carolina is a very personal topic for many activists and leaders I have spoken to over years reporting on LGBT violence in the state, where sources have told me that this is one of the biggest concerns they see in their community daily.

Since 2014, the city of Charlotte, which passed the original LGBT non-discrimination ordinance that sparked this new anti-trans bill, has had at least four trans youths take their own lives. One of them was a local homecoming king."
    More at: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/24/north-carolina-anti-transgender-bathroom-law-dangerous-discrimination

Pearl Jam has gone to bat for my kid and others in the LGBT community.
    And it is not just a message about North Carolina. 100+ anti-LGBT bills are pending in the United States: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lgbt-state-bills-discrimination_us_570ff4f2e4b0060ccda2a7a9

Thanks for reading my post.

Wonderful post. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,938
    I disagree with their decision to cancel but I'm happy they are passionate and are also sick of stupid politicians.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    choop said:

DR295987 said:

Mike D88 said:

choop said:

DR295987 said:

choop said:

DPrival78 said:

choop said:

Ok but you understand now that this money was not spent at a Pearl Jam concert though, right.

The sheer amount of bigotry, lack of compassion, failure to grasp economics, and utter selfishness in this thread is mind blowing.
    Ok so since you're so on board with this how about YOU cover my expenses? easy to talk when you aren't out anything... so put your money where your mouth is..
  • Options
    JF657419JF657419 Posts: 12
    I'm confused... didn't Pearl Jam just play in Chile a few months ago? Isn't abortion illegal there? Like 100% illegal, even in rape cases? Aren't there numerous other human rights concerns there and in the other countries they played? Sounds like selective/fashionable outrage.
  • Options
    kclemonskclemons Posts: 6
    Much respect to Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    jfayiii said:

I'm confused... didn't Pearl Jam just play in Chile a few months ago? Isn't abortion illegal there? Like 100% illegal, even in rape cases? Aren't there numerous other human rights concerns there and in the other countries they played? Sounds like selective/fashionable outrage.

Did Bruce play there though?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    jfayiii said:

I think they're inspired by the fact other artists are doing it in NC and making a noticeable impact. Springsteen is indeed leading the charge here but I don't see that as a negative.
  • Options
    EvieVedderEvieVedder NW Indiana Posts: 461
    The letter they posted ended with, "With immense gratitude for your understanding."
    I think we should honor that statement and understand that this had to be done. I was so bummed when Ed cancelled Vegas a few years back for that arm injury. I had my flight and expenses all paid for. It sucked! But, life went on. Shit happens. This boycott is so necessary. Transgender folks just want to pee without feeling threatened or uncomfortable. It really is a basic human right. My 13 year old trans daughter used to hold her bladder for hours just to avoid going into a men's room if we were out. Now that she "passes" for a girl, she uses the ladies room and no one bats an eyelash. No harm done. If cancelling a show can bring any attention to an important cause, then it should be done. Obviously PJ feels strong enough about this issue to stand up.
    Feel the sky blanket you with gems and rhinestones...