Options

GA line, both attendees required for the entire time?

Comments

• Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    RKCNDY said:

rick1zoo2 said:

I love this thread

Hi stranger!

are you trying to cut in this line?
  • Options
    CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SC Posts: 369

CapnBob said:

GA lines + merch lines = dumb

1 man's opinion. See you in Philly...unless you're in a line of some sort

i am in a line to get in a line to talk about a line...
    You're in the wrong line. That line is over there
    well damn ... mind if i cut in front of you or be your +1?
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options

CapnBob said:

GA lines + merch lines = dumb

1 man's opinion. See you in Philly...unless you're in a line of some sort

i am in a line to get in a line to talk about a line...
    Where's your +1?
    at the pre wishlist pre party .. she will be here 15 minutes before gates open....
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    I can see the issue with fans who want the rail but is this really a problem with the rest of the GA section? I only had GA for the two Worcester shows back in 2013 and I had a pretty good experience. I got to the line around 5:00 with my wife and got 3-4 rows back on Stone's side. Once we got our "space" on the floor my wife left several times to use the bathroom, stretch her legs, etc. She always was allowed to get back to me.

So my question is even if your +1 had to go back to the end of the line couldn't you just hold some space for them in the GA section and wave them up to your spot when they get through the line. Again I never went for the rail so I'm guessing that may be different by where I stood in my two GA shows people were coming and going from the pit until 30 minutes or so before the show started.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options

I can see the issue with fans who want the rail but is this really a problem with the rest of the GA section? I only had GA for the two Worcester shows back in 2013 and I had a pretty good experience. I got to the line around 5:00 with my wife and got 3-4 rows back on Stone's side. Once we got our "space" on the floor my wife left several times to use the bathroom, stretch her legs, etc. She always was allowed to get back to me.

So my question is even if your +1 had to go back to the end of the line couldn't you just hold some space for them in the GA section and wave them up to your spot when they get through the line. Again I never went for the rail so I'm guessing that may be different by where I stood in my two GA shows people were coming and going from the pit until 30 minutes or so before the show started.

from what i have seen, that would go over about as good as a kick to the nads.... once your in and anyone trying to get in front of others that are now established in their place ... would be ugly .. and this is mainly due to the few that try and do this on the reg... there are only a few.. IMO most everyone in the pit is awesome and we all have a great time together and look out for each other...
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    rick1zoo2 said:

RKCNDY said:

rick1zoo2 said:

I love this thread

Hi stranger!

are you trying to cut in this line?
    :how_interesting:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    by the way, I didn't go for the rail either, though I do respect them for what they do to get it - i took others advice, went to the pre party had a great time and like you.. walked in an hour or so before the show and was 4 rows deep on Mike's side.. had a great time
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    MayDay10 said:

Should anyone be concerned that the bar for getting to the front is being raised to comical levels?

Just saw on the book of faces, someone was 12th in line for Lexington... all they had to do was line up 36 hours before Pearl Jam took the stage.

There is a point where a venue(s) start to complain. It is a security concern with people camping out on their property, now for multiple days. Also I heard, at least for Columbia, there was a landfill left behind where the line used to be.

It is really ridiculous. These people are willing to do anything just to get THAT much closer to the closest possible point of being front row in front of the band. 2nd row is not good enough. 3rd row and an enjoyable day not spent sleeping on the sidewalk for 1-2 nights is not enough. And a lot of times it's the same people.

I saw a couple weeks ago someone said they lined up at 6 AM day of show and were so happy to get the rail. My thinking: Wow getting there that early you better get the rail! Other user: 6 AM isn't even that early, you're lucky you got the rail getting there that late.

You can't make this up.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    CapnBob said:

by the way, I didn't go for the rail either, though I do respect them for what they do to get it - i took others advice, went to the pre party had a great time and like you.. walked in an hour or so before the show and was 4 rows deep on Mike's side.. had a great time

Wow... common sense! That's the way to do it.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    CapnBob said:

For a show like MSG I wonder if this strategy will work. I doubt that you could walk in an hour before the show and be 4 rows deep but who knows?
  • Options
    CapnBob said:

from what i have seen, that would go over about as good as a kick to the nads.... once your in and anyone trying to get in front of others that are now established in their place ... would be ugly .. and this is mainly due to the few that try and do this on the reg... there are only a few.. IMO most everyone in the pit is awesome and we all have a great time together and look out for each other...
    That wasn't the case in my experience. Again it was just two shows and I wasn't really close to the rail.
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • Options

CapnBob said:

That wasn't the case in my experience. Again it was just two shows and I wasn't really close to the rail.
    was agreeing with you.. i was in a similar spot as you and had no issues.. only reporting what i saw once the show started and a few tried to run up in front of others who hadn't been there the whole time..
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options

CapnBob said:

For a show like MSG I wonder if this strategy will work. I doubt that you could walk in an hour before the show and be 4 rows deep but who knows?
    I don't know either though I have read comments and have talked to some who had GA at Wrigley 13 and other than the ones lining up for the rail they employed a similar strategy and still had great spots in the pit ... from what i have learned, unless you want to be on the rail in a certain spot you can walk right in and be A ok.
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    All of this in order to get close enough to stick your phone in Mike or Ed's face.

I'll be in the beer line.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    CapnBob said:

CapnBob said:

was agreeing with you.. i was in a similar spot as you and had no issues.. only reporting what i saw once the show started and a few tried to run up in front of others who hadn't been there the whole time..
    Once you get up to the first 3 rows of people they start to close in and get defensive about their space. In a way I don't blame them. I have seen SO many people try to get up front by attempting to literally stand where a person is already standing, meaning they are pushing people out of the way to make room for themselves. That's not cool. within 3 deep there just isn't any extra space. For someone to move up, someone else has to move back.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282
    edited April 2016
    edited - posted in wrong thread.
    Post edited by kc007 on
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    CapnBob said:

I walked into Greenville sometime around 7:00 after enjoying the town. We ended up second row stone's side. Close enough to have Ed poor me some wine. I was amazed how open space on his side. I've been to 5 GA shows and always walked in about 60-90 minutes before show time and have never been more than 4-5 deep on Mikes side. If you are OK with Stones side, you can get even closer.
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217

Well, if you don't give a shit, why did you start this thread? Just bring in your +1 and deal with any possible consequences. If it were me, I would probably talk to at least five people in back of me and make sure it is cool. Most people would be fine with it if you talk with them and are nice. I just don't like people being sneaky and not even asking if it's alright.

Speedy and PJ_Soul need to just hug it out!

I asked because I do care what my other PJ Fans think. My +1 will be there. Its me showing up around 3 and getting a feel for what I in reality going to expect as the reaction. I did ask myself yesterday why I bothered, but this thread has become somewhat entertaining.

As mention (at least I think I did), I'll get there and if people around don't mind then I'll go to the back of the line or go to the Wishlist party and come back and enjoy the show from the back. My intent wasn't to get in and take the rail away from someone waiting, rather to join a group of travelers I'm selling a ticket to one. Since traveling alone this show, an opportunity to meet some others fans. But there will be other fans in other places.

I agree, Speedy and Soul should hug it out. Side hugs though so no inappropriate touching occurrs.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    jmug23 said:

CapnBob said:

I walked into Greenville sometime around 7:00 after enjoying the town. We ended up second row stone's side. Close enough to have Ed poor me some wine. I was amazed how open space on his side. I've been to 5 GA shows and always walked in about 60-90 minutes before show time and have never been more than 4-5 deep on Mikes side. If you are OK with Stones side, you can get even closer.
    Stone's side is where I would be, because he is a bad ass, but and I'm sad to report to you, we go to Mike's side cause that's where the wife wants to be.... Lol
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    They should go back to reserved or do the Bruce Springsteen system and remove all of the ambiguity of these unwritten rules. I'm in the minority but between the GA line and the merchandise line, the fans are somewhat punishment. It's all voluntary but why punish the fans. There are ways to do it that allow newer members to get close without requiring everyone to spend 36 hours camping out. They will have a fired up crowd up front regardless. We will see if the Fenway shows suck because they are all reserved seating. I bet they wont.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    ive seen 49 times the band live
    42 times in GA
    6 times (2 toronto-2 msg - 1 alpine-1 manchester ) seated and 1 in lawn at alpine
    i dont get when this whole drama and endless talking coming from..all works fine..99%% of people are cool,polite,nice and respect eachother
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Noload said:

They should go back to reserved or do the Bruce Springsteen system and remove all of the ambiguity of these unwritten rules. I'm in the minority but between the GA line and the merchandise line, the fans are somewhat punishment. It's all voluntary but why punish the fans. There are ways to do it that allow newer members to get close without requiring everyone to spend 36 hours camping out. They will have a fired up crowd up front regardless. We will see if the Fenway shows suck because they are all reserved seating. I bet they wont.

Pretty safe bet my friend.. ; )
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,435

42 times in GA
    6 times (2 toronto-2 msg - 1 alpine-1 manchester ) seated and 1 in lawn at alpine
    i dont get when this whole drama and endless talking coming from..all works fine..99%% of people are cool,polite,nice and respect eachother

Sometimes when I read your posts I think of yoda.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630

42 times in GA

The band did away with GA for a long period of time for safety I think. Maybe im wrong about the history of it. I'm sure it's fine most of the time. But at least from their point view they weren't fans of it for about 13 years. GA is great for memberships though.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    on2legs said:

42 times in GA

seriously dude..i think people having problem,are only the people whos searching to find one..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,435

on2legs said:

42 times in GA

seriously dude..i think people having problem,are only the people whos searching to find one..
    I was extending a compliment regarding your posts conferring the wisdom of an 800 year old Pearl Jam Jedi.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Noload said:

42 times in GA

The band did away with GA for a long period of time for safety I think. Maybe im wrong about the history of it. I'm sure it's fine most of the time. But at least from their point view they weren't fans of it for about 13 years. GA is great for memberships though.
    Think most of the GA Dimi was in was in Europe or abroad. I hear GA is much different there than in the US.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I tell you what I saw in Columbia... the front of the Merch live...thats where the real problem is...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I started to read this thread from the beginning, but skipped 8 pages and read the last few posts. Hope y'all don't mind. :confounded: