Options

GA line, both attendees required for the entire time?

JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
edited April 2016 in The Porch
So what's fair etiquette? Is it expected that both parties attending stand in the GA line the entire time or can one line up as earlier as they desire with the other arriving later in the day, say 2-3pm?

I'm not say one person sits and holds place for a group of people but say one person from the pair is there with a group and the second person from the pair arrives later (as early as they can).

Would be polite to ask others close in line if it's acceptable but I'd imagine that most would be fine provided it isn't one holding a place for many, but one for the second.

What says the collective?
2018 - 8/8, 8/10
2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
2014 - 6/28, 6/29
2013 - 10/12, 11/24
2011 - 9/14
2005 - 9/16
Post edited by Jimminez on

Comments

• Options
    Bueller?
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,749
    People hold spots for any type of line anywhere I've been up to and including the damn grocery store. I don't see it being an issue, but watch out for the line nazies. Just tell people your friend is enjoying themselves at the bar/restaurant while you hold their spot, no biggie even if it's slightly untrue
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    There have been other threads on this but I can't seem to find them. If you're going to line up, be in line. I don't agree with holding spots for anyone other than running to go to the bathroom or something. Or if your +1 shows up within 10-15 minutes, I'd be OK with that. 5-6 hours later is not cool. Others are of the opinion that holding a spot for a +1 is OK. Ultimately it will depend on who's there and if they are cool with it. I will tell you that I wouldn't be. How would you feel if you were waiting in line at the deli to order a sandwich and all of a sudden a friend joins the person in front of you and now you have to wait a bit longer before you can get your order in? Annoying, right?

People who are going early to queue up are going for the rail. Your +1 could be the difference between someone making the rail or not.
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    Suziemay said:

There have been other threads on this but I can't seem to find them. If you're going to line up, be in line. I don't agree with holding spots for anyone other than running to go to the bathroom or something. Or if your +1 shows up within 10-15 minutes, I'd be OK with that. 5-6 hours later is not cool. Others are of the opinion that holding a spot for a +1 is OK. Ultimately it will depend on who's there and if they are cool with it. I will tell you that I wouldn't be. How would you feel if you were waiting in line at the deli to order a sandwich and all of a sudden a friend joins the person in front of you and now you have to wait a bit longer before you can get your order in? Annoying, right?

People who are going early to queue up are going for the rail. Your +1 could be the difference between someone making the rail or not.

You are a line Nazi.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options

Suziemay said:

You are a line Nazi.
    Sigh.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited April 2016
    I'd say etiquette is that everyone in line needs to stay in line barring bathroom breaks and QUICK jogs for food to bring back to the line, to throw something in a trunk, etc. Leaving to go dine at a restaurant or to go have a shower and nap, and all the other bullshit things that people leave the line to go do, or to hold a spot for someone who isn't even in the line at all is totally unacceptable IMO and shouldn't be tolerated by anyone involved, including venue security if at all possible, though I think a rep from 10C should always be there to deal with these issues. So basically, holding a place for someone for 10 minutes? Great. Much longer and I consider them to have left the line. 10C has the same opinion, as proven by their statement about it a year or two ago. In that statement they said that if people left the line like some assholes want to, they wouldn't be allowed back into it. Now all they need to do is enforce it somehow. Pay someone to basically admin the line on 10C's behalf.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I'm not a GA guy, but what if my +1 was in line for the merch truck?
  • Options

Suziemay said:

You are a line Nazi.
    No, she just knows what a line up is. (The Line Nazis are the ones who DO leave the line for hours. The same ones who act like little dictators about lists and numbers on hands, and for some reason think that they have some kind of authority to make up rules about it all when there is only one rule: It's a fucking line up, so be in the line up and hold your own spot).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    Excerpt from the ticket email "It is the Ten Club’s position that those that put in the time to wait in the GA line all day should be of the first in the door. Anyone abusing this will be sent to the back of the line. Of course it is necessary to take bathroom breaks, or to jump out of line to pick up tickets at will call when the box office opens. Like any other line that you find yourself standing in for long periods of time in your life, simply have your guest hold that place in line for you temporarily, and communicate to your neighbor that you will be right back."

No one should be allowed to arrive later and expect to jump ahead of soneone else that's put several hours of time in ahead of them. Do you not see the selfishness of wanting to put your friend ahead of someone who made the time to be there?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    MedozK said:

I think that is fine.

I think the question asks if a person arrives at say 7AM and then their +1 shows up in the afternoon, can the +1 just assume that place in line.

I say absolutely not.

If the person is established at the early time along with Person A. One or the other can conduct business during the course of the day (within reason) grab food, bathroom, merch, 10c ticket window, etc...
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    MayDay10 said:

MedozK said:

I think that is fine.

I think the question asks if a person arrives at say 7AM and then their +1 shows up in the afternoon, can the +1 just assume that place in line.

I say absolutely not.

If the person is established at the early time along with Person A. One or the other can conduct business during the course of the day (within reason) grab food, bathroom, merch, 10c ticket window, etc...
    I wish they would go back to reserved floor. That is all.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I say it depends on what part of the US you live in. Midwestern folks are not so uptight about holding spots in a line, Pearl Jam concert or sandwiches...

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

MayDay10 said:

MedozK said:

I think that is fine.

I say absolutely not.

I agree with that too... but nothing I can control. IMO GA adds to the competitiveness and ugliness. Not only that, looking at various social media stuff... a decent number of people seem to be going for 'the rail' on a regular basis.

I wouldnt even hate it if they went back to seating and the entire first 15 rows were 'lottery-filled'. That way, people can get to the front without waiting in a line for 12-24 hours, without being in the club for 25 years, and without cheating, pushing, shoving, etc. Can go to the bathroom and return to your 'seat' during the show.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    I know there are issues but I hope GA is here to stay.
    NYPJ
  • Options

I say it depends on what part of the US you live in. Midwestern folks are not so uptight about holding spots in a line, Pearl Jam concert or sandwiches...

I don't understand why the concept of a queue is so hard to understand.
  • Options
    wall232 said:

I know there are issues but I hope GA is here to stay.

I'm sure it is (thank goodness). They sell more tickets that way. PJ already said they had no plans to get rid of it.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

I think sending one of two to the merch truck is acceptable. I've seen that occur as far back as Memphis in '14 and no one really seemed to have issue with it.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,885

MayDay10 said:

MedozK said:

I think that is fine.

I say absolutely not.

This is the only reason I put my name in the hat for Fenway. I can't deal with free for all GA for big shows like this. I spent a couple hours waiting in the rain for the Springsteen pre-show GA lottery and was out of luck. A completely unnecessary waste of my life. It ruined the show for me because after waiting all that time I was cold, wet, and grumpy. I will never do GA floor for big venue shows again.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,885
    Also, I agree with those of you saying that the person needs to be there from the get go. It pisses me off when I've been waiting in line for a long time and then someone's friend in front of me just strolls up. What if you were 11th in line and everyone in front of you did this? Now, you've just move back ten more spaces in line. It's just inconsiderate to do, especially since this sounds like a highly competitive race to the front of the stage.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    If you send someone off to the merch truck though they could be gone for 4-5 hours the way the line is going this tour. Seems like it could be abused as well but what else can you do.
  • Options
    sclinvillesclinville Posts: 125
    I guess I hope I set up shop around some friendly people early tomorrow morning. My wife can't get off work in Frankfort until at least 4
    2006 Cincinnati
    2014 Cincinnati Memphis
    2016 Tampa Jacksonville Greenville Lexington Chicago N1 Chicago N2
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Figured it was a polarizing subject but even though their is nothing explicit stating that both have to stand in line from 10C, the verbiage from the email does indicate that you "simply have your guest hold that place in line for you temporarily..."

If the merch lines are the 4-5 hours these days, I do wonder how that is any different that one guest can go sit in that line while the other holds the GA spot. I find it funny how there are caveats though like it makes a different when the justification to not permit person B from joining at a later time (ie. get there early enough to show you are there and then can go for a few hours out of the line to wait in another line, while you get merch for person A and B ).

Its highly dependent on the location and the people around
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options

I guess I hope I set up shop around some friendly people early tomorrow morning. My wife can't get off work in Frankfort until at least 4

I hope you aren't bashed too much and the line doesn't turn on you for holding a place for your wife.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Jimminez said:

Figured it was a polarizing subject but even though their is nothing explicit stating that both have to stand in line from 10C, the verbiage from the email does indicate that you "simply have your guest hold that place in line for you temporarily..."

If the merch lines are the 4-5 hours these days, I do wonder how that is any different that one guest can go sit in that line while the other holds the GA spot. I find it funny how there are caveats though like it makes a different when the justification to not permit person B from joining at a later time (ie. get there early enough to show you are there and then can go for a few hours out of the line to wait in another line, while you get merch for person A and B ).

For what it's worth, I disagree with the sentiment that it's acceptable to be waiting in the merch line for 4-5 hours and still hold your spot in GA. That's called wanting to have your cake and eat it too and you're right, it's a double standard. This is all black and white to me but I understand not everyone sees it that way. Hope it all works out for you (so long as you're not in front of me in the GA line :smiley: )
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Jimminez said:

For what it's worth, I disagree with the sentiment that it's acceptable to be waiting in the merch line for 4-5 hours and still hold your spot in GA. That's called wanting to have your cake and eat it too and you're right, it's a double standard. This is all black and white to me but I understand not everyone sees it that way. Hope it all works out for you (so long as you're not in front of me in the GA line :smiley: )
    It does seem its like what ever serves that person best.

For those who don't agree that only one needs to stand, do they feel the same way about the merch lines? (This isn't directed at you @Suziemay) Do you ask a friend to grab you some merch on your behalf only taking away merch from the person behind? What if your friend grabs the last two posters (or whatever the items are) that the person behind has been standing in line for hours for?

My wife can no longer go. We were planning on getting to the show in the morning, but she is travelling for work and not back till that night. We have kids so can't leave till the morning off getting me in later than expected. I'm selling my spare ticket to someone who is lining up in the morning as I planned. I hoped to meet them and stand with them in return I would give the ticket rather than sell it to them (oh I know this will spark discussion of value). Seems like that would be accepted too kindly, so I guess I'll sell and enjoy the line in a different spot or better yet, go support the Wishlist Pre-Party.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    I've been in GA a few times throughout the last couple tours. As was said in the original post it's not cool especially when people try to squeeze in more than their +1. It seems quite easy to hold the standards given in the guidelines for GA as PJ/Ten Club give, which like it or not are the rules since they hold the ultimate authority.
    People are not to leave for extended time periods and expect to get their spot back. Exceptions include bathroom breaks, running to grab food, picking up tickets, or any other 10-20min procedure. I've found as long as you have your spot (and I line up early, usually the night before) and know who is in front of you and back of you it's not a problem and people don't mind working with you. We would all get to know each other and work as a team to hold spots in longer lines such as merch never leaving either spot unattended by the correct amount of people, but at the same time holding to the rules.

Having said all that I've seen "jerk" things try to happen at all shows. At Memphis there were groups trying to show up last minute and get in line or just try to blend into the line. Most all of them were sent to the back without much an issue. G-ville was the most civilized I've seen without much drama at all, so good for those people on that day/night.

Columbia was an issue. First off all of the lines started very early and the GA line was 50 deep by 8pm the evening before. Needless to say all of those were protective of their spots. I fight broke out in the merch line due to cutting. People tried to sneak in line at the last second, but after being called out they left. One lady in particular did a very not cool thing imo. She showed up the afternoon of the show trying to get in front of people who camped all night. People asked and she said she would just hang with her friends for a while then get in the back of the line. Ok, no big deal. Then 10min till doors she puts her stuff in her car and runs back and obviously tries to blend into the spot. Many of us saw and a fellow camper asked her politely to move to the back as previously stated, she then said she had been there the whole time. As I heard the original and that statement I then asked why she was changing her story. She then got very nasty with me calling me a stalker, a-hole, jerk, and many other names I'd prefer not to say here and asked if I was the rule book. I said no but I have a copy, which I did and she said there was nothing I could do about it and was calling the police on me for harassment. Meanwhile police had already been called over by others. Her "friends" immediately turned away from her and every person behind her had my back as they saw everything unfold. He stated the rules about if you didn't camp, get in the back and used the classic rule of thumb "don't be an a-hole." She didnt understand why she couldn't stay in a hotel and show up the next day with the campers. The policeman then told her to leave and she through a tantrum like a child trying to get other people thrown out of line as well. Escorted to the back as she should be to the applause of others around.

It's really not hard, have good etiquette to the people around you and they take care of you. If you have an issue explain it to the people around and they have no problems that I have ever seen. I'm just somebody who couldn't do that to other and have a good conscious afterward.

Anyways, just abide by the given rules and everything tends to workout. Don't be afraid to speak up to the few jerks that inevitably show up.
  • Options
    @Jimminez If your tickets are MSG 1 GA, I'm still looking, and you know my thoughts on the GA line :smiley: Just throwing it out there!

• Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    edited April 2016
    Hey Jimminez, if the ticket happens to be a Toronto GA, I'm interested.
    Thx!

(I'm shameless)
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    the_donthe_don Posts: 512
    What if im in a separate entrance, that happens to Let me in before the GA line? I would be first on the rail -would this be a problem? Cause I wouldn't have had to cut in or do anything shady...
    2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto 2005: Toronto 2006: Toronto x2 2008: MSG x2, Montreal x2 (EV), Toronto x2 (EV) 2009: Toronto 2010: Buffalo 2011: Detroit (EV), PJ20 x2, Montreal, Toronto x2, Ottawa, Hamilton 2013: London, Buffalo, Brooklyn x2, Philly x2 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x2, Fenway x2 2018: Home Shows x2 2020: L.A. x2, Oakland x2 
    2023: Seattle x2 (EV) 2024: Vancouver x2, Seattle x2 (ISO: 1 N1 Seattle GA)
  • Options
    Glad people are providing input. Consensus is that having a +1 show later won't be accepted, and is fine with me. Hope everyone's GA experience goes smoother than some that have already happened. See you out there.
    Suziemay said:

@Jimminez If your tickets are MSG 1 GA, I'm still looking, and you know my thoughts on the GA line :smiley: Just throwing it out there!

@Suziemay my spare was for the QC show and is spoken for. Sorry :(
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16