Options

GA line, both attendees required for the entire time?

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436

This thread makes me sad. I was stoked when they announced the tour and one of the Toronto shows landed on my birthday, my 40th to. I figured if there was ever a time to wait in line for rail that was it. I have a friend(my ticket buddy) who has offered to stand in the merch line all morning for me so that I have birthday show memorabilia. I thought this was super generous of her and wouldn't be an issue since we were both putting time in.
    But listening to the rail nazis go off has made me start to rethink even trying for it. And that already puts a downer on my birthday. So now I am a little sad.

First of all happy birthday and I hope you have an awesome day.

That being said I think problems happen in the GA line because just about everyone there looks at like it's their special day too.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    on2legs said:

That being said I think problems happen in the GA line because just about everyone there looks at like it's their special day too.

Ahh yes, the people that try to make the concert about themselves. Unfortunately, PJ is catering to them more and more
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited April 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I understand that people need to b in line to get their spot but if I was in line all day and my wife shows up 4-5 hours later, she would b next to me in line when she arrived. That's kind of strange to think otherwise.

What's strange is that you think your wife can budge in front of everyone who's been waiting for hours. Yes, you should be next to your wife... when you join her at the back of the line when she arrives.
    You sound no different than the Line and Listers.

Lighten the fuck up.
    You lighten the fuck up, lol.
    The problem with this kind of thing is that if one person holds a spot, then everyone can hold a spot. Everyone there can just switch off. This is the kind of thing that leads to the line suddenly growing by 100 people half an hour before the doors open. Keep it simple, stupid (as the saying goes). If you're waiting in line be in the line. 10C agrees.
    10c agrees?
    Yeah, 10club has also told me that there is no reselling of any of their items sold here.
    HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Its sad when 30-50 year old adults, cant just use common sense when lining up for a Rock Concert. Again, I blame most of the shittyness towards the GA line on the "LINE AND LISTERS".

NO WAY CAN YOUR WIFE SHOW UP AFTER WORK!
    HOW DARE YOU EVEN THINK OF IT!!!

Oh please. Give me a fucking break.
    I don't really get what you're saying. The whole point of the listers is to be able to leave the line for hours on end and then come back and budge back in a line that they haven't been waiting in. I'm saying the exact opposite.
    I know you're don't like me Speedy, lol, but why are you being so rude about it? Geez.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I understand that people need to b in line to get their spot but if I was in line all day and my wife shows up 4-5 hours later, she would b next to me in line when she arrived. That's kind of strange to think otherwise.

What's strange is that you think your wife can budge in front of everyone who's been waiting for hours. Yes, you should be next to your wife... when you join her at the back of the line when she arrives.

Lighten the fuck up.
    The problem with this kind of thing is that if one person holds a spot, then everyone can hold a spot. Everyone there can just switch off. This is the kind of thing that leads to the line suddenly growing by 100 people half an hour before the doors open. Keep it simple, stupid (as the saying goes). If you're waiting in line be in the line. 10C agrees.
    10c agrees?
    Yeah, 10club has also told me that there is no reselling of any of their items sold here.
    HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Its sad when 30-50 year old adults, cant just use common sense when lining up for a Rock Concert. Again, I blame most of the shittyness towards the GA line on the "LINE AND LISTERS".

I don't really get what you're saying. The whole point of the listers is to be able to leave the line for hours on end and then come back and budge back in a line that they haven't been waiting in. I'm saying the exact opposite.
    I know you're don't like me Speedy, lol, but why are you being so rude about it? Geez.
    Pretty much this. If i was waiting on line for hours I wouldn't care if someone was at work or at a preparty. What people are suggesting is the same line/list system without the idiotic numbers on their hands.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I'm anti list, pro line.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

I fully agree. I've waited till 7pm, gone to the show, and have been 8 rows back, at an awesome spot. There is no real need to line up early unless you need the rail. I think overrated, but I really would love a pick just one time :( Almost got one once!

You know how I got FOUR Mike picks at one show? Reserved seats, side stage. :triumph:
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    You might as well let the plus 1 just join them its not like they aren't going to join them in the pit wherever they are anyway. Like Speedy said your wife or buddy gets out of work late or whatever the reason is its 2 tickets "together" in GA. Barring having the rail and being a dick and blasting through everyone I would just save a spot next to me on the floor for my wife/buddy anyway so why not let them wait together.

I feel like we are overthinking this whole thing because 1% of TC members are super inconsiderate. The GA and merch lines I've waited in are usually very team work oriented and you know who has been around and who is an ass trying to cut cause they were on "the list".
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,804
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Lighten the fuck up.
    10c agrees?
    HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

You missed my point.
    No big deal.
    I have taken a nap, and I no longer care about the GA line.

Ha
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    edited April 2016
    Oooh, this got good this afternoon.

I'm considering renting two people to go stand in line for me from the night before so that when I arrive at 5:30 the day of the show I can swap places. This will make some happy because I actually advance them one closer.

Is that acceptable. If I can't do the time pay someone to do it for me?

I joke and know that will irritate some but in reality it is quite comical how people wouldn't let someone's wife join in the line. Some are fortunate to see them over and over again and some get only a few opportunities. For those who manage to work out one to go up front to make it as memorable as possible but get bashed.

I'll see most of you in the middle or back or side of GA and will just enjoy the show and not get stressed amount someone being one body in front of me closer to the stange.

I hope everyone has a great time and aren't as serious during the show as they are online.
    Post edited by Jimminez on
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    Hey, I don't even line up for GA, lol. I just think a line is a line. If you're waiting in a line, you wait in it. Seems so simple, and I think the same rule should apply to everyone.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The line and listers had a shitty attitude.
    Not letting someone's wife join him in line is shitty.

Hence the comparison.

• Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293

on2legs said:

Ahh yes, the people that try to make the concert about themselves. Unfortunately, PJ is catering to them more and more
    Interesting point...
    Song requests on the boards
    Signs with requests at the shows
    Bringing small children to GA to get a tambourine

• Options
    edited April 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Hence the comparison.

It's not about one guy and his wife though. It's that if he can do it, everyone can. That's what exceptions do to large groups. If his wife cuts in, there is nothing stopping anyone from cutting in for their own personal reasons. If not letting someone's wife join him is shitty, so is not letting in some dude who slept until 3pm, went for a leisurely meal, checked out the pre-party, had a few drinks, and then came and joined his buddies at the front of the line. If he's worried about appearances, he can just tell everyone he was working, since it worked for the other dude's wife.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Hence the comparison.

Someone's wife jumping in line in front of someone else's wife who stood there all day would seem to be the greater offense.

• Options
    on2legs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hence the comparison.

Someone's wife jumping in line in front of someone else's wife who stood there all day would seem to be the greater offense.
    Yeah really.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hence the comparison.

A greater offense?
    This place is comical at times.
    Why is it so difficult at times to just use common sense? Again.

Hey my wife is working can she join me in line later today?

Sure, no problem, hope you 2 have a great time.

The end.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    A wife in theory is fine. What if she could have gotten out of work and just didn't want to get up or wait in line that long? What if the line essentially doubles? People and their +1s sit in line in shifts? What if it becomes a +2 or +3?
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760

on2legs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hence the comparison.

A greater offense?

The end.

Curious if your response would be the same if it went a little like this

Hey my buddy is out having blast at a party can he join later today?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    MayDay10 said:

A wife in theory is fine. What if she could have gotten out of work and just didn't want to get up or wait in line that long? What if the line essentially doubles? People and their +1s sit in line in shifts? What if it becomes a +2 or +3?

Lol. Way too much over analyzing. This is why I can't wait for fenway.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

on2legs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hence the comparison.

A greater offense?

The end.

I'm not sure why there is a need to do anything other than follow the ten club's directions on the issue. It's pretty clear. No need for interpretation or ambiguity.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    GA is the best way to see the band..most important is u can see the show together with AS MANY FRIENDS you want..
    what i do is ,30 min before show time ,i go with my buddies in the back of the GA box,when shows are in usa..same in europe when there is a box..or i go in front of soundbooth when shows are like in south america,in big stadium..best view and best sound ion the venue...we have space to dance and to jump and be all together...we can chooce to go right,left,center in the back of GA.whatever...
    the good in big stadiums,is you gert side rail,cos rail and scene are huge and peole goes in center..so i went to shows like milan 14-trieste 14-oslo 12 - 14..stockholm 14 - vienna 14 and got side rail.
    .result?got tampourine,picks,mike palyed alive solo with my flag on his back,handshake with eddie,talks with eddie about my why now u dont bitching shirt,eddie wine and so on
    just getting in the venue 30 min before time..no need to mention jacksonville which i was the lastr person walk into GA and i was in the back ,,the last person in the GA box..and happened to be the most epic thing for me in a show

the last time i line up was in rotterdam 2009 and berlin 2009...at rotterdam got rail,was awesome and at berlin after 2 hours ,..i was like fuck it and went to a bar and then i went in 10 min before show time
    as for holding spot..im with common sence..u want to get a good spot.,.rail..whatever..u go line up
    i ve seen alot of times that +1 to be come +2+3+4+8 in the end...so cut line is not good..

but we are human beings..do the most easy thing..communicate..u are in then line..
    say the peole around..hey guys,is ok,my wife,my friend,my girlfriend,boyfriend,sister..etc..comes later and be with me?and when she comes to wait in the line with me?be polite,communicate,tell in advance people and i dont see any problem..
    .and if some has a problem,,for me,my friend,or whoever is with me,is more important to be with her/him to the show than a good spot or rail...
    so if people have problem,,ill go back behind the last person in the line when my + 1 arrives...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

GA is the best way to see the band..most important is u can see the show together with AS MANY FRIENDS you want..
    what i do is ,30 min before show time ,i go with my buddies in the back of the GA box,when shows are in usa..same in europe when there is a box..or i go in front of soundbooth when shows are like in south america,in big stadium..best view and best sound ion the venue...we have space to dance and to jump and be all together...we can chooce to go right,left,center in the back of GA.whatever...
    the good in big stadiums,is you gert side rail,cos rail and scene are huge and peole goes in center..so i went to shows like milan 14-trieste 14-oslo 12 - 14..stockholm 14 - vienna 14 and got side rail.
    .result?got tampourine,picks,mike palyed alive solo with my flag on his back,handshake with eddie,talks with eddie about my why now u dont bitching shirt,eddie wine and so on
    just getting in the venue 30 min before time..no need to mention jacksonville which i was the lastr person walk into GA and i was in the back ,,the last person in the GA box..and happened to be the most epic thing for me in a show

the last time i line up was in rotterdam 2009 and berlin 2009...at rotterdam got rail,was awesome and at berlin after 2 hours ,..i was like fuck it and went to a bar and then i went in 10 min before show time
    as for holding spot..im with common sence..u want to get a good spot.,.rail..whatever..u go line up
    i ve seen alot of times that +1 to be come +2+3+4+8 in the end...so cut line is not good..

but we are human beings..do the most easy thing..communicate..u are in then line..
    say the peole around..hey guys,is ok,my wife,my friend,my girlfriend,boyfriend,sister..etc..comes later and be with me?and when she comes to wait in the line with me?be polite,communicate,tell in advance people and i dont see any problem..
    .and if some has a problem,,for me,my friend,or whoever is with me,is more important to be with her/him to the show than a good spot or rail...
    so if people have problem,,ill go back behind the last person in the line when my + 1 arrives...

Be polite? Communicate? Common sense?

No shit Sherlock!

• Options

Be polite? Communicate? Common sense?

No shit Sherlock!

hahaha..fuck speedy,,its a show,,not rocket science..i dont understand all this talking and thinking days before.."waht ill do,what time ill arrive,how ill wait in line,how my wife will come later and what ill do ,,what to bring with me..what to expect..what if i ant to pee,what if ii want to eat ..blah blah..
    its a concert of 3 hours,,not going in jail for 10 years
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    take my wife. please....
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 said:

take my wife. please....

hhahaahahahahah
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2016
    Hampton, and Columbia GA was the Mrs. and my vacation. along with a round of Golf at Myrtle Beach National and a college baseball game with my Dad. I put in for those Kentucky tickets for the show I wasn't at tonight. I also didn't even try to get those 420 NC tickets, because I was going to be doing other stuff.

I know how a line works.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760

Hampton, and Columbia GA was the Mrs. and my vacation. along with a round of Golf at Myrtle Beach National and a college baseball game with my Dad. I put in for those Kentucky tickets for the show I wasn't at tonight. I also didn't even try to get those 420 NC tickets, because I was going to be doing other stuff.

I know how a line works.

My condolences lol
  • Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    My 2 cents. For the Midwest tour me and my girlfriend who are both diehard fans got GA for the first time we had 3 shows that we got it for, I have severe digestive issues that cause me alot of different types of pain and problems, there's no way I could wait in line as long as you need to to be up front but that shouldn't mean I shouldn't do ga as long as my girlfriend wanted to wait. We are both short people so being as close as possible is something we have to do. My girlfriend chose to wait on line from 3am/4am for each of those shows the people around her knew I was coming later I came between 10am and 1pm for each of the shows which was still a long wait for me plus the show time. None of these people bitched or complained they were all very nice and we made friends that we keep in touch with still.

Now we have GA for MSG and ideally we would be doing the same but now with this kind of talk and whats been said in Facebook groups as well it has me a bit hesitant for GA night 1 (already swapping my GA night 2 due to health and other factors) it's really a shame that so many have this logic that someone's plus 1 can't join them later on ive never experienced this for any other event where people lined up early it's 1 person not a group! Yes I understand that each person can have that plus 1 come later but so be it as long as I don't see a group of people joining one other person then I won't even question it.

So basically because of my health issues I have to now be torn on what to do trade ga or take a chance with a possible confrontation which honestly does me no good with my health.

I just think it's really shitty that this is the thought process for alot of people.

And yes I know some people get on line later and are still 4 rows away only but like I said being short it's a chance I don't want to take with that many people still being in front of us.
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    ^^^^^^This. My wife lives with severe chronic pain. Going to shows is a momentary release from that pain. You think I'm going to make her wait in any line with me? She rests while I do the work. Never had a problem but it doesn't mean that people like those in this thread weren't thinking it. Dissappointed in how people behave.

And don't get me started on that GA group from the 2014 midwest/Denver run! The GA line started on the freaking plane! They shoved their way past rows of seats that people were patiently waiting to exit. It was embarrassing cuz I knew they were PJ fans in a hurry to get to the venue so they could be in line.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    edited April 2016

^^^^^^This. My wife lives with severe chronic pain. Going to shows is a momentary release from that pain. You think I'm going to make her wait in any line with me? She rests while I do the work. Never had a problem but it doesn't mean that people like those in this thread weren't thinking it. Dissappointed in how people behave.

And don't get me started on that GA group from the 2014 midwest/Denver run! The GA line started on the freaking plane! They shoved their way past rows of seats that people were patiently waiting to exit. It was embarrassing cuz I knew they were PJ fans in a hurry to get to the venue so they could be in line.

The OP asked for an opinion about waiting in line and people offered their opinion. I think you might be internalizing the discussion too much. Nobody was being disrespectful of people with a medical condition. The discussion was referring to people who were off buying merch, at a preparty, or didn't take off from work.

Again, i personally love reserve seats for just this reason. There is no need to split hairs about who deserves to join the line late.

Peace.