Options

GA line, both attendees required for the entire time?

Comments

• Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    Yeah. Of course there are all sorts of individual situations.

With that being said, if you have a condition that prevents being in one place for a long time, aren't reserved seats a better option?
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    jeez people its a +1 ! the most anyone can bring is a plus ONE.. who cares..
    find a better cause then having a hissy fit at someones wife joining in at 5pm because you may not be eyeball level with eddies balls.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    nycrats said:

jeez people its a +1 ! the most anyone can bring is a plus ONE.. who cares..
    find a better cause then having a hissy fit at someones wife joining in at 5pm because you may not be eyeball level with eddies balls.

God this is so sad but so true. GA definitely brings out the crazies.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Who cares?

The people who have chosen to wait in a line 12-20 hours, probably.

I'm considering waiting in line for msg 2. Previous to this thread, I already told my +1 who isn't getting there until 5pm... that we are meeting up to get the tickets, and that is it... he won't be able to cut in line.

With that said, I don't think I want to wait in line, lose a nights sleep, stress, etc.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029

My 2 cents. For the Midwest tour me and my girlfriend who are both diehard fans got GA for the first time we had 3 shows that we got it for, I have severe digestive issues that cause me alot of different types of pain and problems, there's no way I could wait in line as long as you need to to be up front but that shouldn't mean I shouldn't do ga as long as my girlfriend wanted to wait. We are both short people so being as close as possible is something we have to do. My girlfriend chose to wait on line from 3am/4am for each of those shows the people around her knew I was coming later I came between 10am and 1pm for each of the shows which was still a long wait for me plus the show time. None of these people bitched or complained they were all very nice and we made friends that we keep in touch with still.

Now we have GA for MSG and ideally we would be doing the same but now with this kind of talk and whats been said in Facebook groups as well it has me a bit hesitant for GA night 1 (already swapping my GA night 2 due to health and other factors) it's really a shame that so many have this logic that someone's plus 1 can't join them later on ive never experienced this for any other event where people lined up early it's 1 person not a group! Yes I understand that each person can have that plus 1 come later but so be it as long as I don't see a group of people joining one other person then I won't even question it.

So basically because of my health issues I have to now be torn on what to do trade ga or take a chance with a possible confrontation which honestly does me no good with my health.

I just think it's really shitty that this is the thought process for alot of people.

And yes I know some people get on line later and are still 4 rows away only but like I said being short it's a chance I don't want to take with that many people still being in front of us.

People abuse things so you have to make the rules rigid. No one can be a "special" occurrence anymore I guess.
  • Options
    kc007kc007 USA Posts: 282

^^^^^^This. My wife lives with severe chronic pain. Going to shows is a momentary release from that pain. You think I'm going to make her wait in any line with me? She rests while I do the work. Never had a problem but it doesn't mean that people like those in this thread weren't thinking it. Dissappointed in how people behave.

And don't get me started on that GA group from the 2014 midwest/Denver run! The GA line started on the freaking plane! They shoved their way past rows of seats that people were patiently waiting to exit. It was embarrassing cuz I knew they were PJ fans in a hurry to get to the venue so they could be in line.

ha! I was on that plane, I didn't observe that beahvior, but I was sitting at front of plane. I also was in Denver GA line, it was a beautiful day that day! Anyway wrt GA... it depends on who are your neighbors. We showed up at about 1:30pm day before show... there were already people in line so we said lets just do this and got in line (we were in first ten ppl)... we had no intention of getting in line that early. it just happened that way. As more people showed up, the excitement grew.

Fast forward to late that night, it started raining a very nice woman and her son were there (they had showed up right after us), it was her son's first PJ show, he was only like 13 or around that age and very excited. Well she wasn't feeling well and really needed to go back to her hotel and felt terrible telling her son they could not camp out all night. I told her I would stay awake look over her son if she needed to leave, but like a good mother, she did not want to leave her son alone in some GA line with a bunch of crazy fans and I can't say I blame her, lol. Long story short, they went back to hotel and came back early that morning and got their place back in line. It was no big deal, and they were in line the rest of the day with short breaks here and there. This kid would have been heartbroken if he came all that way to see his first PJ show and had to go to back of line after waiting all that time and his mom couldn't help that she felt a bit ill. Stuff like this happens and you just deal with it. you work together. To this day she sends me little trinkets in the mail telling me how memorable her son's first PJ show was and that she is so grateful to us and the others in the line that worked with them to make that kid's first PJ show a success. And he got Mikes's side and a tambourine. So happy for him.

It all depends on the situation of the line and the people around you. fwiw, around 4am everyone in Denver GA line was snoring and I couldn't sleep, so I ran went back to my hotel at the four seasons got a shower change of clean clothes a breakfast sandwich and some sunscreen to share with others (we also gave our hotel room to others later that day in line who needed a quick shower and they were thankful for that), I got back before the birds were even awake and most of them were still snoring and fast asleep.

Do what you got to do stealthy. Be aware of how long you left the line, don't abuse it and leave for 3 hours to drink or party.. I didn't take a lot of breaks, I was in line about 30 hours or something insane and took two less than one hour breaks to pick up tickets and go back to hotel when no one was awake. and both times I left the line, my ticket partner was in line. And I'll do it again if I have to.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Who cares?

I'm considering waiting in line for msg 2. Previous to this thread, I already told my +1 who isn't getting there until 5pm... that we are meeting up to get the tickets, and that is it... he won't be able to cut in line.

With that said, I don't think I want to wait in line, lose a nights sleep, stress, etc.

its not that stressful. If you've never experienced GA, do it. Yes, its a long day, but in NYC you'll be entertained all day just by the people watching alone. Take a book, a folding chair that you don't mind throwing out/donating to homeless and make yourself comfortable. You'll catch that missed sleep another time. GA at Madison Square Garden? C'mon now. Get in line. Most important advice for standing in GA is your liquid consumption. I would not eat anything iffy just before show and stop liquids by 3pm so you don't have to leave rail for bathroom. eat really healthy the day before show and lots of water.

• Options
    All I know is if I'm in line all day and all of a sudden there's a fresh new 20 people ahead of me, sob stories or not, I know I'm now that much more screwed out of getting the spot I want.

I have enough to worry about when the line actually gets moving and I get physically shoved out of the way by a dude who can't get to the rail fast enough.

Why am I doing GA again? hahah
  • Options
    yeah, 20 ppl showing up is a bummer... that happened to me at one show. suddenly there were 50 ppl ahead of me instead of 30.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    PJNB said:

Hampton, and Columbia GA was the Mrs. and my vacation. along with a round of Golf at Myrtle Beach National and a college baseball game with my Dad. I put in for those Kentucky tickets for the show I wasn't at tonight. I also didn't even try to get those 420 NC tickets, because I was going to be doing other stuff.

I know how a line works.

My condolences lol
    AND we went to a wedding, too! I'm exhausted.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437
    I hope that everybody gets their spot and all is tranquil in the line. Stoked for 4 shows in 5 nights this week :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    kc007 said:

MayDay10 said:

Who cares?

its not that stressful. If you've never experienced GA, do it. Yes, its a long day, but in NYC you'll be entertained all day just by the people watching alone. Take a book, a folding chair that you don't mind throwing out/donating to homeless and make yourself comfortable. You'll catch that missed sleep another time. GA at Madison Square Garden? C'mon now. Get in line. Most important advice for standing in GA is your liquid consumption. I would not eat anything iffy just before show and stop liquids by 3pm so you don't have to leave rail for bathroom. eat really healthy the day before show and lots of water.

Thanks for the tips.
    Yeah, I would certainly get a cheap yard chair and a few paperbacks and probably assume my spot in line right after MSG 1. Not sure where that would put me. I would love the one time opportunity to get so close (I'm sure everyone would lol). I also really don't care about NYC and sights and sounds. Been there plenty, and honestly, don't really like it there.

There are plenty of individual situations where it seems OK to 'cut' or step out. The old woman and her grandson, whatever, thats fine/cool. If there is a legit medical issue I could see it (although I think it would be more on the up and up if you showed when you assume the spot in line with your GF, explain the situation as generally as you want, and ask for permission to leave for blocks of time, I'm sure people would be cool with it). I think its the whole people have been waiting for an extremely long time, then people they have never seen parachute in, assuming spots in front of them. Its a slippery slope strife for abuse IMO.

• Options
    rylanrylan Posts: 206
    I've never lined up for GA but as long as 1 person is in line, I see no problem saving a spot for your plus one. I would have a good laugh if someone started giving me grief because my wife or whomever couldn't line up all day with me and showed up later or even just before the show. Who really cares as long as 1 person put in the time and you're not letting more than 1 person in.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    I get what people are saying about the plus one but what about the people who's plus one also took off work and waited all day with them? If being at the rail is that important then both people should take off work and wait. Now if it's a medical thing and you explain it to the people you're near then that's fine. This is why I just walk in at 8 and grab a spot in the back of GA, have enough room to have a good time and still have a better view then mostly anyone else in the building.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    this discussion is all the more reason to adapt the "Boss-System"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    kc007 said:

^^^^^^This. My wife lives with severe chronic pain. Going to shows is a momentary release from that pain. You think I'm going to make her wait in any line with me? She rests while I do the work. Never had a problem but it doesn't mean that people like those in this thread weren't thinking it. Dissappointed in how people behave.

And don't get me started on that GA group from the 2014 midwest/Denver run! The GA line started on the freaking plane! They shoved their way past rows of seats that people were patiently waiting to exit. It was embarrassing cuz I knew they were PJ fans in a hurry to get to the venue so they could be in line.

ha! I was on that plane, I didn't observe that beahvior, but I was sitting at front of plane. I also was in Denver GA line, it was a beautiful day that day! Anyway wrt GA... it depends on who are your neighbors. We showed up at about 1:30pm day before show... there were already people in line so we said lets just do this and got in line (we were in first ten ppl)... we had no intention of getting in line that early. it just happened that way. As more people showed up, the excitement grew.

Fast forward to late that night, it started raining a very nice woman and her son were there (they had showed up right after us), it was her son's first PJ show, he was only like 13 or around that age and very excited. Well she wasn't feeling well and really needed to go back to her hotel and felt terrible telling her son they could not camp out all night. I told her I would stay awake look over her son if she needed to leave, but like a good mother, she did not want to leave her son alone in some GA line with a bunch of crazy fans and I can't say I blame her, lol. Long story short, they went back to hotel and came back early that morning and got their place back in line. It was no big deal, and they were in line the rest of the day with short breaks here and there. This kid would have been heartbroken if he came all that way to see his first PJ show and had to go to back of line after waiting all that time and his mom couldn't help that she felt a bit ill. Stuff like this happens and you just deal with it. you work together. To this day she sends me little trinkets in the mail telling me how memorable her son's first PJ show was and that she is so grateful to us and the others in the line that worked with them to make that kid's first PJ show a success. And he got Mikes's side and a tambourine. So happy for him.

It all depends on the situation of the line and the people around you. fwiw, around 4am everyone in Denver GA line was snoring and I couldn't sleep, so I ran went back to my hotel at the four seasons got a shower change of clean clothes a breakfast sandwich and some sunscreen to share with others (we also gave our hotel room to others later that day in line who needed a quick shower and they were thankful for that), I got back before the birds were even awake and most of them were still snoring and fast asleep.

Do what you got to do stealthy. Be aware of how long you left the line, don't abuse it and leave for 3 hours to drink or party.. I didn't take a lot of breaks, I was in line about 30 hours or something insane and took two less than one hour breaks to pick up tickets and go back to hotel when no one was awake. and both times I left the line, my ticket partner was in line. And I'll do it again if I have to.

Awesome post :)
  • Options
    basic civility should trump a system, every time.
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217

Civility seems to be out the window with respect to rows 1-3.

2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114

I don't know. If I were to show up by myself at 8am, and turn to the folks who were directly behind me, and explain that my wife was working and she would be here in a few hours? For some reason I don't believe there would be chaos. I would think/hope that they would just say "sure, of course there is no problem". It is not as if 1000 folks are showing up, while their 1000 ticket partners are showing up 6 hours later. To me its really no big fucking deal. Your significant other is showing up in 5 hours? Cool, have fun!

I think the reason people here get all "military" over the GA line, is because of those BLITHERING FUCKING IDIOTS(and I know who you are), who tried to get away with that LINE AND LIST bullshit the last couple of tours. Those FUCKING CLOWNS(and I know who you are), kind of took the whole GA thing, as far as lining up, and turned it...well for lack of a better word..SHITTY!

Why really give a fuck if someone wants to show up at 8am and his wife shows up 5-6 hours later? Again its not like everyone in line is doing just that. But of course, due to the ASSHOLE LINE AND LISTERS (and I know who you are), I guess everyone is a little skeptical over integrity, when it comes to lining up for GA.

Stop with all that logic....you're making too much sense!
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Jimminez said:

Civility seems to be out the window with respect to rows 1-3.

I didn't see that at Columbia or Hampton, I saw a lot of understanding and being kind to your neighbor.

Those 2 places are not PHL or NYC. A good reason for opting for smaller shows on this particular tour.

Carry on.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I understand that people need to b in line to get their spot but if I was in line all day and my wife shows up 4-5 hours later, she would b next to me in line when she arrived. That's kind of strange to think otherwise.

What's strange is that you think your wife can budge in front of everyone who's been waiting for hours. Yes, you should be next to your wife... when you join her at the back of the line when she arrives.
    You sound like a real pleasure.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

I understand that people need to b in line to get their spot but if I was in line all day and my wife shows up 4-5 hours later, she would b next to me in line when she arrived. That's kind of strange to think otherwise.

Not according to the ten club.
    They haven't said ANYTHING about your +1. They refer to people people getting a line number and leaving. There is NO PLACE where they state your +1 has to arrive exactly the same time you do and remain by your side the whole time.
  • Options

This thread makes me sad. I was stoked when they announced the tour and one of the Toronto shows landed on my birthday, my 40th to. I figured if there was ever a time to wait in line for rail that was it. I have a friend(my ticket buddy) who has offered to stand in the merch line all morning for me so that I have birthday show memorabilia. I thought this was super generous of her and wouldn't be an issue since we were both putting time in.
    But listening to the rail nazis go off has made me start to rethink even trying for it. And that already puts a downer on my birthday. So now I am a little sad.

Don't sweat it. 99% of the people are friendly and won't have a problem with it. Don't let the internet trolls put a damper on it...enjoy the show!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I'm vehemently anti-list...but holding a place in line for your plus one, once you have claimed that spot in LINE, for any reason, trivial or really important, should not be cause for such unfounded consternation...holy shit. Put your phone down for 5 seconds and talk to the people around you. They're not there to screw you whenever you turn around. Everyone's not totally selfish. Were not here to see Limp Bizkit. (sorry Fred)

Imposing a new rule at this point in the tour is cray, yo.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760

on2legs said:

They haven't said ANYTHING about your +1. They refer to people people getting a line number and leaving. There is NO PLACE where they state your +1 has to arrive exactly the same time you do and remain by your side the whole time.
    "It is the Ten Club’s position that those that put in the time to wait in the GA line all day should be of the first in the door. Anyone abusing this will be sent to the back of the line. Of course it is necessary to take bathroom breaks, or to jump out of line to pick up tickets at will call when the box office opens. Like any other line that you find yourself standing in for long periods of time in your life, simply have your guest hold that place in line for you temporarily, and communicate to your neighbor that you will be right back. They will ask the same in return from you because this is the right thing to do. The GA line should be a friendly community. Be neighborly and respectful and do not abuse the kindness of your fellow Ten Club members"

I read that as everybody in the line including +1's and Tenclub members but hey what do I know.
  • Options
    PJNB said:

on2legs said:

"It is the Ten Club’s position that those that put in the time to wait in the GA line all day should be of the first in the door. Anyone abusing this will be sent to the back of the line. Of course it is necessary to take bathroom breaks, or to jump out of line to pick up tickets at will call when the box office opens. Like any other line that you find yourself standing in for long periods of time in your life, simply have your guest hold that place in line for you temporarily, and communicate to your neighbor that you will be right back. They will ask the same in return from you because this is the right thing to do. The GA line should be a friendly community. Be neighborly and respectful and do not abuse the kindness of your fellow Ten Club members"

I read that as everybody in the line including +1's and Tenclub members but hey what do I know.
    word....finally
  • Options

My 2 cents. For the Midwest tour me and my girlfriend who are both diehard fans got GA for the first time we had 3 shows that we got it for, I have severe digestive issues that cause me alot of different types of pain and problems, there's no way I could wait in line as long as you need to to be up front but that shouldn't mean I shouldn't do ga as long as my girlfriend wanted to wait. We are both short people so being as close as possible is something we have to do. My girlfriend chose to wait on line from 3am/4am for each of those shows the people around her knew I was coming later I came between 10am and 1pm for each of the shows which was still a long wait for me plus the show time. None of these people bitched or complained they were all very nice and we made friends that we keep in touch with still.

Now we have GA for MSG and ideally we would be doing the same but now with this kind of talk and whats been said in Facebook groups as well it has me a bit hesitant for GA night 1 (already swapping my GA night 2 due to health and other factors) it's really a shame that so many have this logic that someone's plus 1 can't join them later on ive never experienced this for any other event where people lined up early it's 1 person not a group! Yes I understand that each person can have that plus 1 come later but so be it as long as I don't see a group of people joining one other person then I won't even question it.

So basically because of my health issues I have to now be torn on what to do trade ga or take a chance with a possible confrontation which honestly does me no good with my health.

I just think it's really shitty that this is the thought process for alot of people.

And yes I know some people get on line later and are still 4 rows away only but like I said being short it's a chance I don't want to take with that many people still being in front of us.

I for one would have absolutely no problem with this, and I very highly doubt you would have a confrontation. As long as your girlfriend communicates the situation with the people in the immediate area, I'm confident everyone will be nice and respectful.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    PJNB said:

on2legs said:

I, and I believe most others, read that as your party, aka whomever holds the tickets, should be in line. If someone purchased the pair, it's up to them what they do with their +1. I'm not going to tell someone they have to go in alone or that they have to go to the back of the line where their +1 is, just because the +1 showed up a couple hours later. Sorry, the 10C email does not clearly say that. I can see how you want to interpret it that way, but that's all it is, an interpretation. Unless 10C clears it up, you can read that different ways.
    Post edited by AllNiteThing on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437
    edited April 2016

on2legs said:

They said people need to be in line other than for a quick break. Why would the policy be different for your +1?

Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Let's not get this wrong. Some people are legit, others are just being lazy assholes.
    I particularly love the people who wait in the wings and when the doors open they rush the line without even the courtesy of at least faking they were there for an hour or so. At that point everyone is panicking and don't necessarily call out the line jumpers.

To be fair -
    My bad experience was in Philly 2013.
    St. Paul in 2014 wasn't as bad.