Options

GA line, both attendees required for the entire time?

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    PJ_Soul said:

on2legs said:

All this nonsense is why I avoid GA. Much happier to have reserved seats. To borrow the line about inventing Facebook... If you aren't in line then you aren't in line. Pretty simple.

You don't have to wait in line for GA. You can avoid all of this and still enjoy GA from a very good spot.
    Too much drama and too many people who think they deserve to be first. It's cool if people have found a way that works for them, but I prefer reserve seats. My fan club number is decent and I don't have to argue with people when I want to use the bathroom.

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    on2legs said:

PJ_Soul said:

on2legs said:

All this nonsense is why I avoid GA. Much happier to have reserved seats. To borrow the line about inventing Facebook... If you aren't in line then you aren't in line. Pretty simple.

You don't have to wait in line for GA. You can avoid all of this and still enjoy GA from a very good spot.
    Too much drama and too many people who think they deserve to be first. It's cool if people have found a way that works for them, but I prefer reserve seats. My fan club number is decent and I don't have to argue with people when I want to use the bathroom.

This.

Ultra competitive, Americans (sorry to say) are ultra-self-centered. The entire day is a battle for personal space.
  • Options
    scornlanderscornlander Colorado Posts: 98
    PJ_Soul said:

This is what I'll be doing for MSG. There is no way I am wasting time standing in line during my first trip to New York. Back of the pit for me!
  • Options
    I understand that people need to b in line to get their spot but if I was in line all day and my wife shows up 4-5 hours later, she would b next to me in line when she arrived. That's kind of strange to think otherwise.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    edited April 2016

I fully agree. I've waited till 7pm, gone to the show, and have been 8 rows back, at an awesome spot. There is no real need to line up early unless you need the rail. I think overrated, but I really would love a pick just one time :( Almost got one once!

I actually get neck pain at the rail (haven't had for PJ but at other shows). You have to look up too much for too long, craning your neck. The ideal spot in the pit is, IMO, 3 - 6 deep. And for that you normally just have to show up a bit before doors open. The only thing the rail is really good for is to lean on. The feet tend to be a little less sore after standing for 5 or 6 hours straight if I've got the rail to carry a bit of the load.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    I don't know. If I were to show up by myself at 8am, and turn to the folks who were directly behind me, and explain that my wife was working and she would be here in a few hours? For some reason I don't believe there would be chaos. I would think/hope that they would just say "sure, of course there is no problem". It is not as if 1000 folks are showing up, while their 1000 ticket partners are showing up 6 hours later. To me its really no big fucking deal. Your significant other is showing up in 5 hours? Cool, have fun!

I think the reason people here get all "military" over the GA line, is because of those BLITHERING FUCKING IDIOTS(and I know who you are), who tried to get away with that LINE AND LIST bullshit the last couple of tours. Those FUCKING CLOWNS(and I know who you are), kind of took the whole GA thing, as far as lining up, and turned it...well for lack of a better word..SHITTY!

Why really give a fuck if someone wants to show up at 8am and his wife shows up 5-6 hours later? Again its not like everyone in line is doing just that. But of course, due to the ASSHOLE LINE AND LISTERS (and I know who you are), I guess everyone is a little skeptical over integrity, when it comes to lining up for GA.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

I understand that people need to b in line to get their spot but if I was in line all day and my wife shows up 4-5 hours later, she would b next to me in line when she arrived. That's kind of strange to think otherwise.

What's strange is that you think your wife can budge in front of everyone who's been waiting for hours. Yes, you should be next to your wife... when you join her at the back of the line when she arrives.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

I don't know. If I were to show up by myself at 8am, and turn to the folks who were directly behind me, and explain that my wife was working and she would be here in a few hours? For some reason I don't believe there would be chaos. I would think/hope that they would just say "sure, of course there is no problem". It is not as if 1000 folks are showing up, while their 1000 ticket partners are showing up 6 hours later. To me its really no big fucking deal. Your significant other is showing up in 5 hours? Cool, have fun!

I think the reason people here get all "military" over the GA line, is because of those BLITHERING FUCKING IDIOTS(and I know who you are), who tried to get away with that LINE AND LIST bullshit the last couple of tours. Those FUCKING CLOWNS(and I know who you are), kind of took the whole GA thing, as far as lining up, and turned it...well for lack of a better word..SHITTY!

Why really give a fuck if someone wants to show up at 8am and his wife shows up 5-6 hours later? Again its not like everyone in line is doing just that. But of course, due to the ASSHOLE LINE AND LISTERS (and I know who you are), I guess everyone is a little skeptical over integrity, when it comes to lining up for GA.

word
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    ^ ^ ^
    Haha +1
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options

Not according to the ten club.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options

word
    Its kind of comical, isn't it? How difficult is it to just act like decent human beings, when getting in line for a Rock Concert?

Hey do you mind if my wife joins me in 5 hours, she had to work.
    Sure, no problem.
    Thanks.
    Hey, can you do me a favor, my wife and I are going to go find a cheeseburger and a restroom. Can you folks just kind of guard my spot?
    Sure no problem.
    You folks want me to bring you back anything while I am away?

I mean seriously, is it all that fucking difficult?

• Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    I don't give a rats ass.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813

word
    Its kind of comical, isn't it? How difficult is it to just act like decent human beings, when getting in line for a Rock Concert?

Hey do you mind if my wife joins me in 5 hours, she had to work.
    Sure, no problem.
    Thanks.
    Hey, can you do me a favor, my wife and I are going to go find a cheeseburger and a restroom. Can you folks just kind of guard my spot?
    Sure no problem.
    You folks want me to bring you back anything while I am away?

I mean seriously, is it all that fucking difficult?

This is the way it should work but people seem to take advantage of the situation as they do with everything else.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Post deleted by Admin. See the Posting Guidelines
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    How long have they been doing GA now ? People still try to invent the wheel ughh pathetic
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    What better time to bring this up than with 5 more shows until the end of summer, and just the 2 more Wrigley shows with GA after that.

nothing like total over complication of a pretty simple situation for NO reason.
    act like grown ups
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

What's strange is that you think your wife can budge in front of everyone who's been waiting for hours. Yes, you should be next to your wife... when you join her at the back of the line when she arrives.
    You sound no different than the Line and Listers.

Lighten the fuck up.
    You lighten the fuck up, lol.
    The problem with this kind of thing is that if one person holds a spot, then everyone can hold a spot. Everyone there can just switch off. This is the kind of thing that leads to the line suddenly growing by 100 people half an hour before the doors open. Keep it simple, stupid (as the saying goes). If you're waiting in line be in the line. 10C agrees.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Lighten the fuck up.
    You lighten the fuck up, lol.
    The problem with this kind of thing is that if one person holds a spot, then everyone can hold a spot. Everyone there can just switch off. This is the kind of thing that leads to the line suddenly growing by 100 people half an hour before the doors open. Keep it simple, stupid (as the saying goes). If you're waiting in line be in the line. 10C agrees.
    10c agrees?
    Yeah, 10club has also told me that there is no reselling of any of their items sold here.
    HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Its sad when 30-50 year old adults, cant just use common sense when lining up for a Rock Concert. Again, I blame most of the shittyness towards the GA line on the "LINE AND LISTERS".

NO WAY CAN YOUR WIFE SHOW UP AFTER WORK!
    HOW DARE YOU EVEN THINK OF IT!!!

Oh please. Give me a fucking break.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I was in and out of the line from about 745am, 'til the doors opened at Columbia, going back and forth to my car and trying to check in early to my insect infested hotel room which was not really close to the arena. My wife maintained our spot in line and we let the amazing people in line around us know what was going on and none of them had a problem with it, because they weren't DICKs. We had a person whose sister showed up at 3 and another whose friend showed up after 3 and as the +1 they joined their people in line. None of us had a problem with it, because we talked about it before hand.
    Plus ones to the back of the line is stupid, in my opinion.

Casual acquaintances, who show up in groups at 5pm are a totally different thing than +1s.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options

What better time to bring this up than with 5 more shows until the end of summer, and just the 2 more Wrigley shows with GA after that.

nothing like total over complication of a pretty simple situation for NO reason.
    act like grown ups

And whats funny is that there really hasn't been any shitty stories about the GA line. Right? All has gone well, right?

Well except for the guy whose wife has to work.
    STONE HIM!
    TAR AND FEATHER HIM!
    MAKE HIM SIT NEXT TO BOOM!!!!!

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Lighten the fuck up.
    This is, unfortunately true.

I said it in a different thread today, but for one show in Boston 04, I did a charitable thing and gave a pretty nice seat away outside. Nobody shows until the lights go down, and suddenly a guy and his buddy and his girlfriend all pile into the "1" seat and try to shout to me that I had the wrong seat. Couldn't do anything about it and basically stood sideways between 2 seats for 2.5 hours.

People are constantly out to beat and cheat the system... and are very successful at it. Unfortunately, people with docile or good intentions suffer.

Stand in line with reasonable breaks and that's it.

• Options
    I just find it weird that someone can show up 5 hours later than another person and be ahead of them in line. Weird.

• Options
    And this to me is why GA kinda sucks. Everyone has different rules and interpretations of the rules and there is little order or structure.

I really dig the Springsteen system.
  • Options
    on2legs said:

I just find it weird that someone can show up 5 hours later than another person and be ahead of them in line. Weird.

I find a lot of things on this board weird. I find a TON of people on this board to be weird. Letting some guys wife join him in line, after she gets off work, just isn't all that weird to me.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

And this to me is why GA kinda sucks. Everyone has different rules and interpretations of the rules and there is little order or structure.

I really dig the Springsteen system.

Yep! Went to the Springsteen show in T.O. this year, GA, loved it. No garbage going on, either way. Everyone chatting amongst themselves, waiting to here what the front of the line number was going to be. People there having conversation just waiting, no ulterior motives. Great idea!

Barrie, ON '98
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,754
    This thread makes me sad. I was stoked when they announced the tour and one of the Toronto shows landed on my birthday, my 40th to. I figured if there was ever a time to wait in line for rail that was it. I have a friend(my ticket buddy) who has offered to stand in the merch line all morning for me so that I have birthday show memorabilia. I thought this was super generous of her and wouldn't be an issue since we were both putting time in.
    But listening to the rail nazis go off has made me start to rethink even trying for it. And that already puts a downer on my birthday. So now I am a little sad.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    You probably dont want to carry crap with you when you are at the GA rail anyway.

Anyways, IMO, if the person is established in line already to the neighbors, and they are cool with it, they should be able to get merch. The big problem is if they just drop out of a plane 12 hours after everyone has been waiting.

"It is the Ten Club’s position that those that put in the time to wait in the GA line all day should be of the first in the door. Anyone abusing this will be sent to the back of the line. Of course it is necessary to take bathroom breaks, or to jump out of line to pick up tickets at will call when the box office opens. Like any other line that you find yourself standing in for long periods of time in your life, simply have your guest hold that place in line for you temporarily, and communicate to your neighbor that you will be right back. They will ask the same in return from you because this is the right thing to do. "
  • Options

This thread makes me sad. I was stoked when they announced the tour and one of the Toronto shows landed on my birthday, my 40th to. I figured if there was ever a time to wait in line for rail that was it. I have a friend(my ticket buddy) who has offered to stand in the merch line all morning for me so that I have birthday show memorabilia. I thought this was super generous of her and wouldn't be an issue since we were both putting time in.
    But listening to the rail nazis go off has made me start to rethink even trying for it. And that already puts a downer on my birthday. So now I am a little sad.

Well, I want you to realize that the 3-4 most vocal people in this thread, over the last hour, HAVE ZERO GA SEATS for any shows this tour. Hahaha!
    So I say get in line early, have your friend get the merchandise, and I have a feeling everything will be just fine.

• Options

Fuck'em! You'll be fine. You're putting in the time. And really, the rail is not all that. Go when you want and you'll be eight rows back feeling like you couldn't be any closer to the band. GA is really an awesome experience. Wouldn't trade it for the world. But I've been no closer then 8 to 10, and can't see it getting any better. The people at the front look squished. Not my jam! (that's what the teens say)

Barrie, ON '98
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Not surprised u don't agree. U are strange